Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

counterfeitsaint posted:

Doesn't Rodrigues say the exact words "I'm not your friend" to Blackthorn right after they meet?

Yeah, but in a sexy spanish accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Yeah, but in a sexy spanish accent.

If an insanely sexy Spaniard tells you he is not your friend, he is in fact your friend. That's how it works.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Thanks for the explanations about the politics, everyone.

So Ishido is more powerful than the three Christian regents but would be unable to defeat them if he faced them as a united front alone. He and the Christians are united in being threatened by Toranaga, because he's from a powerful family and commands a lot of respect. Ishido wants to impeach Toranaga but keep him alive long enough to maneuver against the Christian regents. Is the idea that Ishido wants to eliminate Toranaga as a formal rival but keep him around as a potential wildcard ally for when the others and the Portuguese inevitably turn on him?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think it was two catholic regents? F Murray Abraham and the guy with leprosy

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

So Ishido is more powerful than the three Christian regents but would be unable to defeat them if he faced them as a united front alone. He and the Christians are united in being threatened by Toranaga, because he's from a powerful family and commands a lot of respect. Ishido wants to impeach Toranaga but keep him alive long enough to maneuver against the Christian regents. Is the idea that Ishido wants to eliminate Toranaga as a formal rival but keep him around as a potential wildcard ally for when the others and the Portuguese inevitably turn on him?

I honestly kinda gave up understanding the politics about weather or not Blackthorn should live.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Yabushige is giving me strong Ashur from Spartacus vibes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

No, it's not about keeping him around as an ally after the impeachment, because once the impeachment vote is in Torunaga is as good as dead.

Someone kinda mentioned it last page, but let me do more of a step by step thing.

Torunaga is the most powerful of the 5 in the council. He currently holds the legitimate heir, has significant troops and holdings, etc. So the plan is to 4 v 1 him. And, from Ishido's view, that is the main machination going on.

But then, the catholic regents decide to tell him "plan is off until you kill blackthorne." Which reveals two things to Ishido. 1- There is something going on with the Portuguese, why would you pause your little conspiracy over this nobody? and 2- the 2 christian regents are coordinating politically, so its not the simple 4 v 1 he was thinking earlier. 4 lesser regents conspiring to get rid of the most powerful one is one thing if you expect that you are one of 4 similarly powerful lords who are not aligned. But now you have direct evidence that 2 of the 4 are acting as one. If only one of the regents demands blackthrone be killed before their conspiracy continues he probably thinks nothing of it. Both doing it makes it clear that the 2 regents are acting as one, and as soon as torunaga is gone you're next.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

MeinPanzer posted:

I don't think ishido is thinking about keeping toranaga alive for longer than it takes to figure out why the Catholic daimyos want Blackthorne dead so badly. Ishido is smart enough to know that both of them threatening to withhold their votes to impeach Toranaga (something they've all been working toward for some time it seems) means there's something bigger at play here. He wants to figure that out if he can, before having his allies quickly become his chief rivals after Toranaga is gone.

Ishido is a dangerous enemy, Toranaga's only equal on the council. He thinks multiple moves ahead, which is why he wants to position himself as strongly as he can against the Catholic daimyos before the board shifts.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wasn't Ishido low born as well? I seem to remember him being the like, common Man and Toranaga being old money.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah. Ishido is from a low-born background, and Toranaga is descended from one of the most powerful clans in Japanese history. I think they call them the Minowara in the show/book IIRC, but that's a reference to the Minamoto clan of real life. The real life Minamoto were members of the imperial family who were excluded from the succession line and "demoted" to regular nobility, but obviously as blood relatives to the emperor they were still extremely powerful and influential. So that's the kind of family background Toranaga is from.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, Ishido is described as Toranaga's chief rival.

So the TLDR is: Ishido thinks he's about to get rid of his chief rival. Then both his chief rival and his supposed allies are willing to put the whole thing off for blackthorne and he's going "wait a minute..."

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It sounded like his lineage had an actual Shogun in it previously, which is great for him, but makes him a target. Apart from the man himself, it seems like everyone is fearful or subservient to him and his lineage because of that mark from the past. When I first heard them talk about his Minowara background, I thought maybe it was a term for something, like warrior, but I guess it's just an ancestral name.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I don't think ishido is "low born", I think he's just from a moderately prestigious samurai clan. Being lower in the social hierarchy than Toranaga definitely irks him, as he takes every opportunity he can to belittle the reputation (I think he has done this on three separate occasions already) of Toranaga's clan and his ancestry.

He's samurai middle class and the show has done a fantastic job showing that some middle-class people have a special hatred that stems from simultaneously believing in their superiority compared to lower classes and their vicious jealousy and resentment towards those higher than them. The actor portraying ishido has done a great job depicting someone who is just completely miserable, always stewing in a blend of arrogance and envy.

This is also set in a time when a literal peasant became the de facto ruler of Japan (the Taiko). That event has definitely lit a fire in people like ishido who no longer need to respect the hierarchy as a legitimate obstacle to their ambitions. If a peasant can rule, then surely he can.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ShowTime posted:

It sounded like his lineage had an actual Shogun in it previously, which is great for him, but makes him a target. Apart from the man himself, it seems like everyone is fearful or subservient to him and his lineage because of that mark from the past. When I first heard them talk about his Minowara background, I thought maybe it was a term for something, like warrior, but I guess it's just an ancestral name.

Assuming the Minowara are analogous to the Minamoto (and I think it's safe to assume they are) the Minowara didn't just have "a shogun" but rather "every shogun for the last 400 years". The last Minowara shogun would have been less than 30 years from the time when the story is taking place.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think the show has addressed Ishido's social background yet, but the shogun fx page describes him as a former peasant who moved up through military success.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Being Lord of the Kantō is also of immense importance. If I remember correctly, it is the bread basket of Japan.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Collateral posted:

Being Lord of the Kantō is also of immense importance. If I remember correctly, it is the bread basket of Japan.

Also the home of one Ash Ketchum, world renowned pokemon trainer

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

I don't think the show has addressed Ishido's social background yet, but the shogun fx page describes him as a former peasant who moved up through military success.

In the scene where Ishido tells Yabu about his rise under the Taiko, he [Ishido] states that every lord in the country sent their finest stones, and his was chosen as the corner piece. I took that to mean Ishido was from a samurai family - especially since the character in the novel is based on Ishida Mitsunari who was not a peasant. Maybe the show will clear it up in the coming episodes.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also the home of one Ash Ketchum, world renowned pokemon trainer

:hai: I never thought of that.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

In the scene where Ishido tells Yabu about his rise under the Taiko, he [Ishido] states that every lord in the country sent their finest stones, and his was chosen as the corner piece. I took that to mean Ishido was from a samurai family - especially since the character in the novel is based on Ishida Mitsunari who was not a peasant. Maybe the show will clear it up in the coming episodes.

It's a minor background detail, they may not expand on it.

Book chat, I don't think it's a spoiler, but..

I hope the show will explain the recent history of Mariko's family and why she became a Christian, and why she wishes to join them. I was surprised her husband was so slight, I though he was supposed to be built like bear.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 4, 2024

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Collateral posted:

I hope the show will explain the recent history of Mariko's family and why she became a Christian, and why she wishes to join them.

It's pretty critical to the plot and understanding her character/motivations, so it should come up

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 4, 2024

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Sorry for the :ninja: edit.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's pretty critical to the plot and understanding her character/motivations, so it should come up

they keep brushing against it so I'm assuming the alone for a rock of time chat will happen Soon

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This is also set in a time when a literal peasant became the de facto ruler of Japan (the Taiko). That event has definitely lit a fire in people like ishido who no longer need to respect the hierarchy as a legitimate obstacle to their ambitions. If a peasant can rule, then surely he can.

And to quell that behavior, one of the former Taiko's first edicts was making it illegal for a peasant to become a Samurai.

One thing that was cut from the show but might help people's understanding of Blackthorne's relationship with Rodriguez, is that Pilots were in a special class of their own at the time. It was a captains ship but the second they lost sight of land, the pilot was in charge and his word was law. At least on Merchant vessels, military was different. So there was a lot of mutual respect considering there were maybe 10-15 people that knew how to sail to Japan from Europe, and they were 2 of them.

This part I'll spoil, even though it's a historic fact it might come up as an exposition dump. About the title of Shogun It's not just that Toranaga comes from the family that the last few were from, he's the only leader that has the ability to claim the title. There were three Imperial vassal families and you need to have direct lineage in one of them in order to claim the title.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
A lot of promotional stuff is coming out now and the actor who plays Blackthorne said that the character is based off William Adams, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(pilot) so if you want to learn more about that guy, that's him.

One more day and we get episode 3.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Collateral posted:

:hai: I never thought of that.

It's a minor background detail, they may not expand on it.

Book chat, I don't think it's a spoiler, but..

I hope the show will explain the recent history of Mariko's family and why she became a Christian, and why she wishes to join them. I was surprised her husband was so slight, I though he was supposed to be built like bear.

And I wonder if they'll address his little baby micropenis

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Have not read the book, but I've been looking forward to this since the first trailer, and first episode was a triumph. Can't wait to get home and watch the second.

Opening the story on the Dutch captain giving a flowery speech on the sweet release of suicide, which Blackthorne tells him to his face is the coward's way out, was a great contrast with our protagonist's reaction to Yabu's willingness to take his own life rather than let the sea take him. He can't reconcile his view on killing yourself with the physical courage Yabu displayed crawling down that cliff to save the Spaniard's life, and when he tries it rings so hollow the Spaniard can't help but mock him. There's a clear ideological clash between the acceptance of destiny and self-determination running as a thematic thread throughout the episode, with Blackthorne representing an extreme embrace of the idea that he makes his own fate through hard work and determination. Each of the Japanese characters navigates the dichotomy in a different way, but they navigate it, and given the Rodriguez's little speech about Shukumei and the centrality of Christianity to the narrative, I have to assume the ebb and flow between the two is going to be a central theme going forward.

Speaking of Blackthorne and Yabu, the most striking element of the first episode was the parallelism crafted between the two of them. While Blackthorne comes across as an arrogant wanna-be Conquistador from the jump, the story subtly works to dull it a bit through his more admirable traits: concern for his men, the embrace of his responsibility as the new commander, bravery, guile, etc. By contrast, Yabu's negative traits are emphasized. Before he appears on screen, his nephew's mom notes how he didn't even come for his brother's funeral. He orders that horrific boiling execution, ostensibly because the Portuguese Priest needs to have the blasphemy against his God vindicated, but clearly just because he wants to hear how the man dies for his weird philosophical obsession. Then has a voyeuristic sex romp and chats non-chalantly about the killing over breakfast, even requesting a poem. THEN he outlines his Baby's First Game of Thrones scheme to make himself a warlord once his dumb leader dies. The frame is designed to have us presume Yabu will be a villain for our flawed western antagonist... and then it pulls the rug out from under us a bit and starts to show Yabu's more positive traits. He takes up an oar himself during the storm and follows Blackthorne's orders to help save the ship. He puts himself on the line when he's already on thin ice with his boss to help Blackthorne go after Rodriguez. Then there's everything about the rescue scene, including the fact that he sees through Blackthorne's lame attempts at manipulation but does the right thing anyway. The whole thing crystalizes when Rodriguez reveals that he knows the truth about Blackthorne's mission and Our Hero IMMEDIATELY, and without any hesitation, attempts to murder the guy to protect himself. He and Yabu are cut from the same cloth, warriors in a brutal age who fancy themselves civilized and enlightened, but in reality they are both greedy, self-interested killers. I'll be interesting to see how both evolve over time.

This is a really insightful post! I like the way you think.

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder if Shogun also kicked off the ninja trend in kungfu movies in the 80’s

They’re always the bad guys (China vs Japan) and the trend ran from 1982-the mid 90’s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zSMOP0W6MEA&pp=ygUWNSBlbGVtZW50IG5pbmphcyB0cmVlcw%3D%3D

Chuck Norris was pretty Blackthorne looking...

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Revenge of the Bushido Blade was kind of the first western written and produced ninja film, but not really a ninja film. 1980
Chuck was in the first American action Ninja movie. The Octogon 1980

Japan had a slew of them in the early to mid 60's, then You Only Live Twice had them as henchmen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Episode 3 was as excellent as the first two, I love that the escape from Osaka managed to be both simultaneously urgent and patient, and the wrap-up with Blackthorne teaching Toranaga how to dive and having the swimming race with him was a fantastic way to come down from the drama.

Also the bureaucracy getting weaponized was hilarious. "Oh sure go ahead and vote to impeach Toranaga... but you need 5 votes and there are only 4 of you now" :allears:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Another fantastic episode. And that ending. I'd fight for Toranaga, no questions asked.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

3rd ep ot already? Hulu said 2100 pst

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Right, and midnight EST. Which was super early this morning (or at 9PM PST last night).

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Does the show look better on Hulu? Watching it via Sling and it feels like I’m watching a badly upscaled DVD.

Good show though, and glad I’m not the only one picking up on Kirkland brand Tom Hardy vibes.

-

Also I skimmed through the thread and may have missed it, but this series was a good appetizer and sets up the context of the show.

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/80237990?s=i&trkid=258518124&vlang=en&clip=81418561

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Show looks very good on Hulu.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ShowTime posted:

Right, and midnight EST. Which was super early this morning (or at 9PM PST last night).

oh whoops, I had checked around 8pmish and thought it meant today

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I loved Episode 3. Toranaga and Blackthorne's diving and swimming were cool. There seems to be a lot of "bandits" in Japan :xd:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Slightly confused by some of the background politics in EP3

Why did Toranaga need to sneak out of the city? The show has probably explained why he is compelled to be there but it fell out of my brain.

The Portuguese are obviously claiming Blackthorn is a barbarian pirate, but do those books not explain that he is a privateer and basically conducting "legal" warfare? Would the Japanese not accept this distinction as meaningful?

I'm also not sure why he momentarily attempted to continue claiming to be a simple sailor even after his goose was cooked and was already getting a job offer. He literally explained to Toranaga's face prior that his purpose in japan was to "vanquish" the Portuguese.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Scoss posted:

Why did Toranaga need to sneak out of the city? The show has probably explained why he is compelled to be there but it fell out of my brain.

The Portuguese are obviously claiming Blackthorn is a barbarian pirate, but do those books not explain that he is a privateer and basically conducting "legal" warfare? Would the Japanese not accept this distinction as meaningful?

I'm also not sure why he momentarily attempted to continue claiming to be a simple sailor even after his goose was cooked and was already getting a job offer. He literally explained to Toranaga's face prior that his purpose in japan was to "vanquish" the Portuguese.

Toranaga can't leave because he's on the cusp of being impeached, even with the power struggle. He's suppose to stay there and wait for them to issue judgment, which is suppose to come when Blackthorne is executed.

He's doing legal warfare from his side, but not theirs. The Japanese don't even really know what the English are, just the Portuguese really. So to the Japanese, what the Portrugese say kind of sticks and to the Portuguese, Blackthorne is a pirate.

Blackthorne kind of is a simple sailor, to him at least. He's a navigator/pilot with the intention of reaching Japan and opening trade routes. I doubt he had much to do with the attacks they launched against the Portugese, but he's not free from guilt for that. They all basically hate each other and the European politics are different than the Japanese politics. That part is kind of muddy. Blackthorne seems guilty of crimes, but not against the Japanese, but against the Portuguese. But when the Japanese discover the Portrugese are using them, those crimes can kind of be forgiven.

That's what it seems like to me at least. I didn't read the books or know much about history, but I can't imagine that being far off from the truth.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I didn't get to the new ep yet, but It's a bit interesting that people seem about 50/50 between spelling it blackthorn and blackthorne, I guess probably depending on exposure to the novel or not (it's the latter)

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Scoss posted:

Toranaga was effectively being held as a hostage under threat of impending impeachment.

I don't think pirating/privateering is a distinction Japan would accept, particularly as they have no contact with the Protestant rulers and no reason to respect their behaviour.

I read Blackthorne differently there - I think he was genuinely trying to explain that he doesn't know how to train and drill troops or to teach battle tactics (which is not the same as blasting cannon from your ship, after all), but quickly realised that this would be a death sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Finally some good shots of the vqrious armors. Impressive work by the costuming staff.

Great episode.

Also the show really makes me want to play Shogun 2 Total War again.