Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Going from DVD to Blu the movies that most impressed me were a lot older. Kiss Me Deadly and Breathless really stood out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Bought a 4K tv. HEAT or Dune as first watch

Erase my previous suggestion, do the Spider-Verse movies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know I always think "stop posting and just watch the loving movie" when someone does this, but The Beekeeper is so stupid in the best way 20 minutes in.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Air Skwirl posted:

I know I always think "stop posting and just watch the loving movie" when someone does this, but The Beekeeper is so stupid in the best way 20 minutes in.

Beekeeper/Green Hornet crossover when

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I did a Heat/Thief double billing with some friends.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Okay, the ending of Beekeeper makes no sense at all. Still love the movie, but what the gently caress?

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

I did a Heat/Thief double billing with some friends.

Hard to find a better way to spend 5 or so hours.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Heat.

Do we actually have a source on this being the story because so far it seems like it’s just people on Twitter claiming this is it.

I mean if the filmmakers or anyone else who saw it denied it that'd be a pretty good falsification. Assuming there's no NDA as to "what happens in the movie", though that's entirely possible.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

I break in all new TVs with The Fifth Element

You have to be careful when breaking in a new TV. Playing something with too many fast m-moving images or very bright colours can damage the delicate pixels. One needs to start with something slower or more sombre. Most relationship dramas do it but I take no risks and always use Jeanne Delmain

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

You should watch the Andy Warhol film Empire. That way, some flashy film does not distract you from your new TV.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

therattle posted:

You have to be careful when breaking in a new TV. Playing something with too many fast m-moving images or very bright colours can damage the delicate pixels. One needs to start with something slower or more sombre. Most relationship dramas do it but I take no risks and always use Jeanne Delmain

I recommend Captain America 3: Civil War.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Peggotty posted:

You should watch the Andy Warhol film Empire. That way, some flashy film does not distract you from your new TV.

All TVs I've owned have the Empire state building burned into them

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I love the game Red Dead Redemption 2. Like, a lot. I've never been a big Western fan, though. In a way, I feel like some of what draws me to RDR2 is kinda what drew me to Pirates of the Caribbean, even when I was too young to really understand it. It's not like I love cowboys and pirates, it's more that feeling of...loss. Of an old world fading away or being destroyed, and our heroes are relics of a bygone age fighting against it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt2VA_hf3jg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zIWGJgwLpA

I say all this, but I have been thinking I'd try to get into some Westerns. Just curious if any of you would suggest any with this same "feeling."

Or not. Maybe Westerns with entirely different feelings. I'm thinking I'll get this John Wayne/John Ford collection.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think almost every western after Blazing Saddles was about that in some way

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Shootist is really good.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Not a movie but if you're thinking of getting into Westerns, Deadwood is one of the best ever made. Not quite a Clint Eastwood joint, over the three seasons you get to see a prospector city go from camp to community to bonefided city. The topic of "An old world fading away or being destroyed, and our heroes are relics of a bygone age fighting against it all" is among the main themes of it. There's plenty of conflicts amongst the townsfolk, but the big bad is basically "The East" that's constantly threatening to take over the city and a lot of the show is the people figuring out how they can become legitimate without losing their way of life, or life period.

Helps that you get the final arc of Wild Bill Hitchcock in the first season, big feeling of people that didn't fit into society making themselves a home only to find society a'comin' to knock on their door.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

NikkolasKing posted:

I say all this, but I have been thinking I'd try to get into some Westerns. Just curious if any of you would suggest any with this same "feeling."

Unforgiven (1992)
Former gunslinger William Munny (Clint Eastwood) is trying and failing to adjust to a new life as a hog farmer when a group of prostitutes hires him to kill a cowboy who disfigured one of them.

The Wild Bunch (1969)
A gang of ageing outlaws try to adjust to the rapidly changing world of 1913. They go on the run after their One Last Job goes. Pursued by bounty hunters they flee to Mexico where they get embroiled in Pancho Villa's revolution.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Not a movie but if you're thinking of getting into Westerns, Deadwood is one of the best ever made. Not quite a Clint Eastwood joint, over the three seasons you get to see a prospector city go from camp to community to bonefided city. The topic of "An old world fading away or being destroyed, and our heroes are relics of a bygone age fighting against it all" is among the main themes of it. There's plenty of conflicts amongst the townsfolk, but the big bad is basically "The East" that's constantly threatening to take over the city and a lot of the show is the people figuring out how they can become legitimate without losing their way of life, or life period.

Helps that you get the final arc of Wild Bill Hitchcock in the first season, big feeling of people that didn't fit into society making themselves a home only to find society a'comin' to knock on their door.

I have been meaning to watch Deadwood for a while. I've only heard the highest of praises for it, and your summary certainly makes it sound like it's also right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Unforgiven (1992)
Former gunslinger William Munny (Clint Eastwood) is trying and failing to adjust to a new life as a hog farmer when a group of prostitutes hires him to kill a cowboy who disfigured one of them.

The Wild Bunch (1969)
A gang of ageing outlaws try to adjust to the rapidly changing world of 1913. They go on the run after their One Last Job goes. Pursued by bounty hunters they flee to Mexico where they get embroiled in Pancho Villa's revolution.

You know while doing my own little research I found a book analyzing the "tragic westerns" of Wild Bunch's director. His stuff in general sounds right up my alley, although Wild Bunch appears to be the best.

I'll be adding those two to my list. Thank you.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's some missions and characters in both RDR games that are heavily inspired by both those films.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you're gonna do westerns then watch the three dollars trilogy and then unforgiven, it's a fun day of movies

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

the $3 triology

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
With inflation its more like the thirty dollars trilogy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Iron Claw was disappointingly mid

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah but three or four of them get you properly hosed up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

It made me care about wrestlers. That's a feat

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Iron Claw is on my watch list

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, it's 100% getting leaked, which is why I haven't read that summary.

Last I heard it was literally deleted off the WB computers and servers. Unless someone pulled a Zack Snyder Heist and stashed a copy on a usb or something, it's gone forever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

McCloud posted:

Last I heard it was literally deleted off the WB computers and servers. Unless someone pulled a Zack Snyder Heist and stashed a copy on a usb or something, it's gone forever.

I can't believe no one has a copy of it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

McCloud posted:

Yeah, those files get moved around so much between the studios and various post-production houses that I would be loving shocked if it was completely gone everywhere. Maybe whatever servers WB manages directly have deleted it. But there is no way it is gone.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

MacheteZombie posted:

I think I mostly agree, but it hit a sweet spot in setting for me (wrestling? In the South? In the late 70s and early 80s?!) and had me welling up, so I was satisfied.

I find watching wrestling pretty boring, but for some reason I'm an absolute sucker for the culture and "inside baseball".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked Iron Claw, think it's funny (in a heartbreaking way) they had to tone down the story and remove yet another brother with a tragic end. Preferred it to stuff like Perfect Days and Poor Things but :shrug:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, those files get moved around so much between the studios and various post-production houses that I would be loving shocked if it was completely gone everywhere. Maybe whatever servers WB manages directly have deleted it. But there is no way it is gone.

That's certainly optimistic, and hopefully true. It's honestly despicable that they're able to get away with destroying movies like this, so I really do hope we'll get to see it and the other movies they canned some day

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I liked Iron Claw, think it's funny (in a heartbreaking way) they had to tone down the story and remove yet another brother with a tragic end. Preferred it to stuff like Perfect Days and Poor Things but :shrug:

Removing one of the brothers was such a weird choice.

Disco Pope posted:

I think I mostly agree, but it hit a sweet spot in setting for me (wrestling? In the South? In the late 70s and early 80s?!) and had me welling up, so I was satisfied.

I find watching wrestling pretty boring, but for some reason I'm an absolute sucker for the culture and "inside baseball".

It definitely got to me a couple times. I liked it more than I didn't tbh, just was hoping for more

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

Right. Could see a world in which the final.final.mp4 was deleted, but someone involved at a lower level still has bits of it saved. Particularly for a movie that must have had intense amounts of CGI work done given one of the leads is a cartoon. We might not see the final cut, but there's zero chance a work print doesn't surface at some point. It probably hasn't already because no one wants to lose a job over it, but give it 3-5 years and someone will probably risk it.

Also People's Joker is coming to theaters. Anyone see it? The creator kind of puts me off (saw a public access show they did where they seemed to be kind of awful to an ex they had on) but it's a great concept and I can get behind messy low budget films.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched One Piece Film Red. Pretty good. The music was surprisingly not bad. The plot was surprisingly downer

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It got me thinking, what is the best song created to be a diegetic song with in the world of a movie?

edit: this question only applies to movies because if you included TV then it just becomes what's your favorite Fire Bomber song.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 6, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also People's Joker is coming to theaters. Anyone see it? The creator kind of puts me off (saw a public access show they did where they seemed to be kind of awful to an ex they had on) but it's a great concept and I can get behind messy low budget films.

Never heard of it but Bob Odenkirk as the Joker's Goon is some pretty incredible casting, and also Maria Bamford as Lorne Michaels?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

It got me thinking, what is the best song created to be a diegetic song with in the world of a movie?

edit: this question only applies to movies because if you included TV then it just becomes what's your favorite Fire Bomber song.

Teachers Pet from school of rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

It's not necessarily the best, but I've been a bit obsessed with Leisure Club Music: Source #2 by Ganymede, from the Outland soundtrack. It's music for a strip club near Jupiter, in the Alien universe. Source #2 was later expanded into the track Automatic Collect, Automatic Correct by the band Logic System:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwJ61kv7SGk

"Ganymede" was actually Michael Boddicker, probably best known as the composer of the Buckaroo Banzai soundtrack.