Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

if that useless oval office tried to stack a dishwasher you'd hear a crash and he'd come crawling using just his arms out of the room, breathlessly, with a pyrex dish lodged up his hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

kingturnip posted:

Well, it's at least 95% of the reason that governments agree to give up control over these things in the first place.

Well, it's the reason they haven't taken away such powers as councils have left, anyway. Our governments don't generally give up actual control of things to elected councils, only to quangos they appoint (or private companies, obviously).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

killerwhat posted:

Knife chat: thanks for the cleaver suggestions! I got the one with the little hole in the blade. Cleavers should have those imo.

It already arrived and made short work of this. Unfortunately I ate so much delicious roasted squash that I still feel sick hours later.

hows the 75k salary waitrose shopper?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

killerwhat posted:

Knife chat: thanks for the cleaver suggestions! I got the one with the little hole in the blade. Cleavers should have those imo.

It already arrived and made short work of this. Unfortunately I ate so much delicious roasted squash that I still feel sick hours later.

Looks good. :thumbsup:

edit: Just how thick is that blade?

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 6, 2024

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

hows the 75k salary waitrose shopper?

Those tins are out on the work surface so I remember to eat them. Out of date but by only a year so I reckon they’re fine.

The ones over 2 years old went in the bin. As did the 8 year old strawberries I found in the freezer. Sad slug-like lumps (Keir Starmer?!) with a surprisingly strong, almost artificial, strawberry scent.

E:

Just Another Lurker posted:

edit: Just how thick is that blade?

About 2.5mm! It’s pretty heavy. Like an axe.

killerwhat fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 6, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I drove past a waitrose in jesmond a while back, meant to go in as it's the first time I've ever seen one.

Turns out there's like a 50 mile exclusion zone around middlesbrough where there aren't any lol. I like to imagine that they're held at bay by the presence of boyes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

if that useless oval office tried to stack a dishwasher you'd hear a crash and he'd come crawling using just his arms out of the room, breathlessly, with a pyrex dish lodged up his hole

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bobstar posted:

That reminded me of a John Harris headline from the other day

"For years, the Tories said austerity was over. But look around: it’s getting worse, and there’s more to come"

Now obviously austerity was never over, but when did the Tories claim it was? I feel like I would have remembered that.

Like 5 different times

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Like 5 different times

Yes. Austerity is over, this is the new normal

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

My "flood defence and social care cuts are responsible and legal" t shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by the shirt.

Cowards rely on the speakers, the courageous belt it out at maximum volume unaccompanied.

My car doesn't have anything except an aux jack and I don't use my phone while driving so if I want to hear something I don't have playing already I just turn the music off and scream it myself.

This is admirable stuff i gotta say

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I heard on the local radio that if councillors don't agree on revised budgets (i.e. horrendous cuts) when the councils are bankrupt, they as individuals become personally liable for the debt.

At a certain point there is nothing left to cut that isn't going to kill people. One of the bankrupt councils near where I live has announced a 100% budget cut to one of the local theatres, right at a time when people are spending less on nights out. But I absolutely understand why, when the alternative is something cut the fire service or something.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This is from 2015 but still applies as far as I know:

https://www.bevanbrittan.com/insights/articles/2015/thepoliticsofsettingthebudget/

quote:

The politics of setting the Budget

Legal requirements
The provisions of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 (LGFA 1992) set out what the council has to base its budget calculations upon, and require the council to set a balance budget with regard to the advice of its Chief Finance Officer (section 151). The setting of the budget is a function reserved to full Council, who will consider the draft budget which has been prepared by the Executive (in a Leader and Cabinet or Elected Mayor model). Once the budget has been agreed by full Council the Executive cannot make any decisions which conflict with it, although virements and year-in-year changes can be made in accordance with the council's financial regulations.

Section 30(6) LGFA 1992 provides that the council has got to set its budget before 11 March in the financial year preceding the one in respect of which the budget is set, although failure to set a budget within the deadline does not in itself invalidate that budget. Such delay, however, may have significant financial administrative and legal implications, including potentially an individual liability for those members who contributed to the failure to set the budget. If a budget is not set, s.66 LGFA 1992 provides that the failure or delay to or in setting the council tax can only be challenged by an application for judicial review, with either the Secretary of State or any other person with sufficient interest (which potentially could include a council taxpayer) able to apply.

Duty to provide services
However, budget set or not, the council has a legal duty to provide a range of statutory services and these duties are not absolved if the budget is set late. Most councils must also consider the impact on precepting authorities such as the Fire Service and the Police, to whom the council will have to pay the monies due whether or not it has collected them through council tax. Furthermore, a delay in setting the budget may well affect the council's ability to enter into any new agreements unless the budget is agreed as otherwise these would be potentially unlawful as unfunded commitments. Councils also have increasingly important financial and corporate governance reputations to keep strong and the failure to set a council tax, or even informal references to a potential failure to set a council tax, would be likely to have a significant adverse impact on the council's reputation locally and nationally in terms of investor confidence.

If members decide that they will not set the council tax, there are likely to be some liability issues. Members have to abide by their council's Code of Conduct and, as members have an active duty to ensure that the council sets a lawful budget, voting against those proposals repeatedly knowing that the result will be no lawful budget is almost certainly incompatible with their obligations under the Code as it is bound to bring the council into disrepute. Furthermore, although surcharge has long since been abolished, if a councillor's wilful misconduct in refusing to set the budget is found to have caused a financial loss to the council they may, be liable to make good such loss. To get such a finding, it would have to be proved that the members were acting deliberately or recklessly and in a way which involved persistent failure to facilitate the setting of a lawful budget.

... (lots more info)

Ludicrous.

This is probably what all those people egging 'lefty' councils not to agree a slashed budget don't realize, councillors could be held personally liable at some point.

Merthyr Tydfil is on the ropes:

https://www.herald.wales/south-wales/merthyr-tydfil/merthyr-tydfil-council-could-grind-to-a-halt-without-balanced-budget

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 6, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

domhal posted:

Its cool how insulated central government are from these issues at a glance. Just irresponsible councils who don't know how to balance their budgets, overspend on diversity initiatives and invested poorly. They should have been more sensible. Nothing to do the Westminster or the chancellor.

LOL at living in a country where it is even possible for local authorities to go bankrupt.

Croydon deserved it after burning £500m on dodgy property investments, Labour council or not.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I listened to the Mark & Carrie podcast last night. For those who don't know, Mark Blyth is the guy who wrote some pretty breaking stuff on austerity and the greek crisis and other stuff, as economists goes he's pretty left-ish. Anyway he does mention here how Labour winning with Starmer is set to be the largest wasted opportunity ever, since it looks like a labour majority and they're just gonna go welp we can't do nuthin, no magic money tree. But apparently there are ways to get lots more money and they're just giving money to the banks right now, around 23:30 britain talk starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZTdVReQEFI

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Jedit posted:

Croydon deserved it after burning £500m on dodgy property investments, Labour council or not.

Whoever put through that investment can get in the bin, but why are councils investing? It's entirely deranged.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

OwlFancier posted:

I drove past a waitrose in jesmond a while back, meant to go in as it's the first time I've ever seen one.

Turns out there's like a 50 mile exclusion zone around middlesbrough where there aren't any lol. I like to imagine that they're held at bay by the presence of boyes.
There's like eight Waitroses in the entirety of Wales, and the only one west of Cowbridge is on Anglesey.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I don't buy this. Millionaire couple doesn't have servants?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

His Divine Shadow posted:

But apparently there are ways to get lots more money and they're just giving money to the banks right now, around 23:30 britain talk starts.

You say that as if it's going to be news to anyone in this thread.

It's always nice to hear an economist say it though.

Pre-edit: whoa they changed the quote blocks in the awful app, so weird

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

grobbo
May 29, 2014
*sees a photo of two early-middle-aged men in uniform roughly resembling Rory Kinnear and Homelander*

Cor, what a pair of smoking babes. Phwoar. Whew. Hoo-wee. Hubba hubba hubba

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Mail presenting a bit of a non sequitur

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Guavanaut posted:

non sequitur

nonce equiner

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The major royals are now either dead, dying, have quit or are nonces. The mail is trying to move the focus to the chinless wonder poshboys who lick their boots

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Paul.Power posted:

There's like eight Waitroses in the entirety of Wales, and the only one west of Cowbridge is on Anglesey.

How did Cowbridge become so posh? It was dirt poor when my mum grew up there.

Her whole family still live there, my cousins are going to get a windfall when they can finally sell the houses of my uncles and Aunts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

domhal posted:

nonce equiner

Lmao

Though it occurs to me that guav was probably going for that in the first place

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

How did Cowbridge become so posh?

Sold the cows.

And the bridge.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

grobbo posted:

*sees a photo of two early-middle-aged men in uniform roughly resembling Rory Kinnear and Homelander*

Cor, what a pair of smoking babes. Phwoar. Whew. Hoo-wee. Hubba hubba hubba

Being fair Homelander's actor is very attractive, and extremely Kiwi.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Being fair Homelander's actor is very attractive, and extremely Kiwi.

Yeah I was gonna say that guys a stud - that's why he got cast as an Aryan god.

But that horse-lad does not look like Homelander. He looks like a handsome enough bloke too though.

Thank you for reading this edition of Handsome Men

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I did find it funny that both the personification of American fascism and the Lahndan hard boy were both Kiwis. Truly a nation of acting talent. Probably the power of the One Ring.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Brits don't look like Brits onscreen. You gotta tape a bunch of Kiwis together

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
(tapes some fruit and a bird to a guy) Behold! A brit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thank you for reading this edition of Handsome Men
Going to read that on the train in 40 pt font, and still be a better person than the nonce lady.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/miqdaad/status/1765305064883736819?t=VcfUOxhwcNMMXpIWkkviVg&s=19

Working yourself into a shoot news

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

"Ah, good, she hasn't - the Maid did. Good Good."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

domhal posted:

Whoever put through that investment can get in the bin, but why are councils investing? It's entirely deranged.

Because that is one of the very, very few ways they are allowed to raise more money.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet if you renamed 'disestablishmentarianism' to 'privatizing the CofE' you could get the tories to support it in an instant, it's pretty funny that one of the few Crown enterprises they haven't scrapped or sold off is the one that allows a bunch of old men to wander around the upper house scuppering all their plans.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's nice that calling everything antisemitic is backfiring for some of these genocide perverts, but not nearly enough imo.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Mega Comrade posted:

How did Cowbridge become so posh? It was dirt poor when my mum grew up there.

Her whole family still live there, my cousins are going to get a windfall when they can finally sell the houses of my uncles and Aunts.

Bridgend got a lot worse, so Cowbridge seems much better by comparison.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Slandering someone who goes to Oxford is just a bad idea, they might have some nonzero amount of money. You have to target people who can't afford lawyers, then you can say whatever bullshit you like. then maybe sue them if they insult you back. this is basic uk 101 stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My friend from school went to an open day at Oxford and her main takeaway was that being black at that uni would be the worst experience of her life. She avoided Oxbridge altogether after that. Went to Brum like me.