Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DaysBefore posted:

I like open world games :twisted:. Ubisoft stuff is too far though. Skyrim or Fallout 4 still have a fair amount of pushing you forwards. It's a nice balance where you can choose to follow the path or to go delve into repetitive dungeons for the +2 sword. Bigger problem is that they are very badly written lol

i challenge a tripple a game to write a script that's above a 4th grade reading level. every game is written like johnny tremaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's frustrating because there *are* accessibility issues that could be easily sorted out and disabilities that can be easily accommodated and this stupid poo poo just dilutes the issue

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
teh most confusing aaa thing is why western games nearly universally have dogshit voice acting but jpn devs that dub in house or only eng like from soft have absolutely incredible voice acting

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

HopperUK posted:

It's frustrating because there *are* accessibility issues that could be easily sorted out and disabilities that can be easily accommodated and this stupid poo poo just dilutes the issue

Yep. Like how bad audio mixing is in modern games, or how games will offer subtitles but not sub stuff that happens in combat etc.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HopperUK posted:

the dev commentary is a masterclass in how to train your player to play the game without tutorializing or making them felt hand held. its seriously inspirational in terms of teaching someone just through action and subtle a/v clues

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah my brain is completely wired the wrong way for playing rts games. like i can not do it

you have to play them against other people and believe in yourself basically

when its against an ai even if it's good ai, you never learn to think about what the other player is doing/thinking at the same time & if you assume you can't legitimately be as good as people that're already good you'll look for shortcuts, won't develop fundamentals and tilt easily

that mental/mechanical economy's the first layer of competition in every rts and if you're conscious of it at all it'll put you in the top 5-10% competitively maybe 15% in broodwar
the rest is hotkeys and ergonomics to be fast & accurate

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

teh most confusing aaa thing is why western games nearly universally have dogshit voice acting but jpn devs that dub in house or only eng like from soft have absolutely incredible voice acting

idk if thats a mystery i think the JP pop media side has a massive voice acting industry and we have like the same 15 people do every game

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

deus ex/yakuza/bloodlines style city hubs are my favourite open worlds

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Stux posted:

you have two choices for male lead, steven blum or troy baker. which way, western man?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dongicus posted:

you forgot RAGE

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The discussion of yellow paint reminds me of the time Sony used DSP as an example for guiding players

https://twitter.com/LumpyTheCook/status/1406686258198417421

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Stux posted:

it cant be that a game just isnt for me. it must be some sort of moral failing that they wont make the game for me and i will use other popele as an excuse for this

i really dislike breath of the wild

it is obvious that nintendo has a personal vendetta against me and anyone who says they like it are airheaded nintendo sycophants

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Al! posted:

you forgot RAGE

i think a lot of people forgot RAGE

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing a bunch of grown rear end adults he tried to hijack a plane after 9/11 and was still a free man.

it was for the safety of the security and law enforcement

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Stux posted:

the best example possible is the sekiro eng dub which only exists because activision was publishing and they decided to add a dub and its loving awful vs the stuff in the souls games or er

Feels Villeneuve posted:

idk if thats a mystery i think the JP pop media side has a massive voice acting industry and we have like the same 15 people do every game

right but from games other than sekiro are all english voice acting, why can they find eng vas that give good performances.

or death stranding. die hardmans va does like side quest guys and random street chatter for gotham knights and the saints row reboot where every single character is absolutely intolerable to listen to. but he gets a main part in a kojima game and hes suddenly the best voice actor ever. doesnt make no sense!!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've not heard even a second of the Sekiro dub. I'm getting sick just imagining it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've not heard even a second of the Sekiro dub. I'm getting sick just imagining it.

It’s good op. hell I’ll play it dubbed again just for kicks :twisted:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'll admit I don't remember a single line from Sekiro other than hesitation is defeat, and that's not because of the performance.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mycot posted:

I'll admit I don't remember a single line from Sekiro other than hesitation is defeat, and that's not because of the performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxns3HUGxlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiDaQ4O5FYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4O6VmotOn4

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
"to link the fire is to become a lord....and who is above the lords...?" -malenia soul of cinder

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Ibram Gaunt posted:

its terrible except for the guy who plays oniwa, who screams an award winning introduction

e:

this

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You can hear the phlegm

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dongicus posted:

prague ftw

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
the issue with english va isnt just the actors themselves. even if you have good actors, "va director" is an incredibly important job but here in america its treated like crap grunt work lol. so even the good actors are consistently being given little or outright bad direction, and it shows

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BG3 had good voice acting. Very British but that's fine

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm playing Triangle Strategy right now, and VA is subpar.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A lot of VA is only a priority because someone high up really wants to to shine, or they get big name actors to do it and have to put in the real effort.

Otherwise they send the VA excel files with the lines in alphabetical order and a deadline to finish the recordings by.

Not sure if they can hire non-union for the VA work, I'm sure some places have tried every trick in the book to cut those costs down.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Phlegmish posted:

Astarion being Zeon in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is one of those things that blew my mind because it made perfect sense (the existence of Britain). I wonder if there's a Final Fantasy 14/Baldur's Gate 3 link too.

mycot has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Mar 6, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sekiro's dub had a lot of andre sogliuzzo who's one of the more underrated character actors in the business

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

mycot posted:

Astarion being Zeon in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is one of those things that blew my mind because it made perfect sense (the existence of Britain).

Asterion is also Heisenberg from RE8Village.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the yakuza english dubs (which are haram to use) should just be guys with thick brooklyn, queens, bronx, and new jersey accents

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

yakuza 8 has subtitle customisation now so there's 0 excuse to use the dub lol

Phlegmish posted:

yea drat lol. was really impressed how much they went into for mocap instead of canned animations too

Note Block posted:

lol ftw

Dongicus has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Mar 6, 2024

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

i really dislike breath of the wild

it is obvious that nintendo has a personal vendetta against me and anyone who says they like it are airheaded nintendo sycophants

Be thankful I don’t have my IK star yet

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Note Block posted:

Lol cool. That was a fun performance

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

or death stranding. die hardmans va does like side quest guys and random street chatter for gotham knights and the saints row reboot where every single character is absolutely intolerable to listen to. but he gets a main part in a kojima game and hes suddenly the best voice actor ever. doesnt make no sense!!!

It probably comes down to actually having good voice direction and working with people who actually care. I’ve seen some of his tweets before and he’s really proud of that role and seems to have had a great time doing it and it shows in his performance

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

looking at his wiki, astarion was also in the 2022(???) expansion for the old republic(??!??!??!?!?!?!???)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pentyne posted:

A lot of VA is only a priority because someone high up really wants to to shine, or they get big name actors to do it and have to put in the real effort.

Honestly, when I see that an English voice track for a game has a big name (see: Hollywood actor) attached to it, it makes me less confident in the performance, not more.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also the guy who did the voice of Deadman in DS was the voice of LeFou in Beauty and the Beast lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol cool. That was a fun performance

"Mirander"