Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oxxidation posted:

I don’t really get that feeling from aerith in this, especially at the saucer and costa del sol “dates.” she’s perky as usual but there’s a wry exasperation to her attempts to reach out now, as she tries to do anything to get cloud to open up a little - not even romantically, just to make sure the guy has a pulse

I don't buy the line that Aerith is just doing what Cloud wants and is some kind of perfect girl that's fake. She makes Cloud do all this poo poo he's feigning disinterest in because she cares about him. Cloud also takes positions on things and gets a dressing down from her. She's just faultlessly kind. She's also literally a powerful wizard that can see the future. She makes the most of every situation, savours things and stays upbeat for a reason. She's basically the archetypal good wizard.

Cloud is self-obsessed and insecure, he needs the support and to be pushed into stuff. Every time he pulls something off or gets a compliment he gets a little goober smirk. Aerith is pumping up his tyres and generally keeping everyone's spirits up in the face of some extremely gnarly adversity.

She's relentlessly positive as a person. She's my favourite character along with avalanche daddy Barret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

There's less way less annoying bullshit in Rebirth than there was in Remake, and you can mainline through basically everything if you just want the main story, which would still net you a 40+ hour game.

I think that when they inevitably do the full squished game that they'll remove a good 3-4 chapters from Midgar (compressing some of the travel and pushing it into surrounding chapters) and/or replace it with better side content.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the full game is gonna be playing through all three games on a 250 hour retreat

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So I have just unlocked all party members so this is my Objectively Correct ranking on how strong they are to use:

1. Yuffie: The GOAT. She's just incredible to play. Easy S tier. You throw shuriken, you spam ninjutsu with doppel, you then gap close and use art of war, or if something goes awry use any of her moves that specifically lets her bail from any bullshit. I'm not sure she even has weaknesses outside of being kinda squishy, which can be fixed by Being Good.

2. Tifa: The other GOAT. Still extremely fun to play, still extremely strong. Run circles around your enemies and beat them with the power of ZANGAN'S SECRET TECHNIQUE(s). Only weakness is a lack of aerial ability, which can be sort of fixed through synergy attacks and Gale.

3. Cloud: Simple and Clean is the way Cloud makes me feel. He can do everything, not as well as Yuffie, but he feels hardier than her. Plus he's the dude you are forced to have for at least half of the game so far, so of course they aren't going to make him weak. I put Enemy Skill on him and never looked back, Plasma Discharge is incredible.

4. Barret/Red XIII: I can't decide which of them comes next so I'm tie-ing them. I don't like using Red XIII's tanking gimmick, but he's good, very agile, and Stardust Ray hits like an isekai truck. Barret is still Barret, but he's better in this game in a way I can't quite articulate. I need to get better with both of them but lmao that's for later.

5. Aeris: For what it's worth, I completely agree with ImpAtom's idea that she plays like an FF14 Black Mage if put into an action game. Problem is, I don't like playing Black Mage. Just like with the above, I should practice with her more, but...eh.

6. Cait Sith: He's no Iscar Matthias that's for sure. A dubious little creature getting up to mischief.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Barret is obviously dead simple, maybe borderline boring, but all of his buttons just feel really good, his stagger buildup in particular is great, he generates a shitload of ATB which scales up over the game with passives that let him use his big shot more, and he has a lot of health so he can save it if things ever go south.

I feel like the platonic ideal party is tifa and yuffie actively doing their GOAT stuff and barret is the one you can play more passively supporting them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like Barret and Aerith for friendly fire. Ez mode atb, tank and wiz working together. In a perfect world I'd be able to dump Cloud for Tifa as the beater and really let everything have it.

E: Aerith gets spellbound blast from Tifa and Yuffie as well which is another borderline insane synergy skill.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the main thing that makes Barret feel better is that the enemies he's particularly good at handling are actually tuned so that he can pick them off instead of spending sixty seconds pecking away at a bird.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

okay got Cait Sith time to shove this thing in the dumpster never liked him that mu OH poo poo A MAGNIFY MATERIA I LOVE HIM NOW

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

2. Tifa: The other GOAT. Still extremely fun to play, still extremely strong. Run circles around your enemies and beat them with the power of ZANGAN'S SECRET TECHNIQUE(s). Only weakness is a lack of aerial ability, which can be sort of fixed through synergy attacks and Gale.

I actually feel like, due to the synergy skills (which can instantly send her into the air on demand, and knock guys up sometimes to boot), Tifa is one of the best aerial fighters. She's amazing at juggling things and being in the air seems to help with avoiding a lot of attacks.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I am finally able to recreate my childhood OG party of Cloud/Yuffie/Cait Sith, but I'm mainly just using Yuffie and Tifa 100% of the time I'm able.

I feel vindicated that child me knew Yuffie was the GOAT while the haters and losers ran Cid and Vincent.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Beat Cameron… glad we’re going all in on the YGO vibes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Is there anything gated behind fort condor hard mode or is it just masochist bait?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's funny as hell that they gave (chapter 8 boss) palmer in a frog tank one of the best tracks in the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Is there anything gated behind fort condor hard mode or is it just masochist bait?

There is a trophy and an infinitely small reward for doing all the side content in the game.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

There is a trophy

Oh so it's potent masochist bait

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Late-chapter 9: I really did not expect to say “wait, we’re doing this now!? as often as I have so far.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My roommate beat the Fort Condor battles in Junon on hard mode, but he wants me to play Queens Blood for him when I'm around.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Are you loving kidding me with this last chicken

e: lmao they were

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I swear if I ever find the person who designed the Concentrate ability used by certain enemies, I'm going to force them to Platinum this game off a fresh save.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I guess I missed out playing Half Life mods instead of JRPGs in my youth, they really are such fantasies.

its all about the journey with your party and love interest unlike western rpgs which iirc were mostly about selecting dialog options

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Arist posted:

Are you loving kidding me with this last chicken

e: lmao they were

Wait for the music, it's the funniest thing in the game cause it comes out of nowhere

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, I give up. What’s the trick to Fort Condor stage 4?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Shinra Manor is just indescribably awful. I cannot believe this poo poo made it through QA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I swear if I ever find the person who designed the Concentrate ability used by certain enemies, I'm going to force them to Platinum this game off a fresh save.

You can use Power CHarge/Magic Charge to break it (though make sure to stay back far enough you can safely charge.)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah shinra manor feels like the low point. It achieves a bad in like 8 different ways multiplier

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Reaching Cosmo Canyon and finding that the game still manages to surprise with unique and interesting towns is a delight. As a lover of mountain villages with mixed elevations I'm a big fan! And I love how every town has an in universe purpose. (If this seems overly obvious to some I am a disgusting quitter who only did OG Midgar and quit because I wanted that aesthetic the whole game please forgive teenage me)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Bum rush with colours corresponding to Cloud and Tifa. Drop Cloud and Tifa on the resultant traffic jam. Park two trebuchets in front of the boss, against the wall will be the perfect range.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

I just kind of brute forced my way through the choke point with a defender and two clerics and then placed down trebuchets on the other side of the choke. Any time I couldn't place units on the other side BC enemy units were advancing on me I would place whatever unit countered the one pushing me. As soon as you can summon hero units do it. It was a pain in the rear end and I'm never going to do hard mode. It's funny how "hard" games are actually super easy to plat while easy games like this always have some nightmare bullshit to make it an insane arduous task

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cait Sith is very endearing in this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nucular Carmul posted:

Reaching Cosmo Canyon and finding that the game still manages to surprise with unique and interesting towns is a delight. As a lover of mountain villages with mixed elevations I'm a big fan! And I love how every town has an in universe purpose. (If this seems overly obvious to some I am a disgusting quitter who only did OG Midgar and quit because I wanted that aesthetic the whole game please forgive teenage me)

i'd say there's only two towns in the OG whose presence seems a little odd, icicle inn and mideel

especially interested in how the remake tries to justify the latter

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Augus posted:

Cait Sith is very endearing in this

I would have agreed with you before playing through Shinra Manor, now I want to feed that little rear end in a top hat to a wood chipper

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Btw this is probably a bit late for me to ask given I am in chapter 4 but is there a way to force aerial combat on melee characters? In remake cloud or tifa would just automatically enter air combat when you locked on and attacked a flying foe but that doesn't work as well now? Did I miss something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Btw this is probably a bit late for me to ask given I am in chapter 4 but is there a way to force aerial combat on melee characters? In remake cloud or tifa would just automatically enter air combat when you locked on and attacked a flying foe but that doesn't work as well now? Did I miss something?

it's not automatic anymore, no. they both have anti-air options in their synergy abilities, and cloud will automatically activate blade beam if you attack right after a dodge, which lets him hit enemies from afar

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CapnAndy posted:

On a writing note, I'm so impressed by the love triangle stuff so far. Cloud and Tifa are spikey and uncomfortable when they're alone together, you can feel how much history there is and how they've both hurt each other in the past and how much each one matters to the other and how they're terrified of actually facing that because holy poo poo, it'll hurt so much, any honest talk would require acknowledging all the bleeding wounds they've still got that they're both trying very hard to ignore. And on the flip side, everything about Aerith is easy. She's always happy to hang out with you, she thinks you're great, whatever you want to do is great, the way you are right now is great, any decisions you make are great, she's gonna be perky and flirty and always supportive of you no matter what. Which makes her feel fake. She's a magical girlfriend, she's wish fufilment, this is not a real relationship. Cloud and Tifa feel very real.

that’s not really how Aerith is written in this at all? she’s very outgoing and confident sure but she’s not without her own baggage. she explicitly doesnt always agree with any decisions you make, she’s constantly pushing Cloud and Tifa out of their comfort zones and trying to get them to open up and move forward.
The reason it’s a good love triangle is all three of their relationships together feel very real. Aerith and Tifa aren’t just competing with each other for Cloud’s affection, they are also friends who support each other and exist together when Cloud isn’t onscreen.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNm1V6UrpwY

anyone else try this out? I only did the barebones version without the additional set up and it's fun

And the Mt. Corel track is loving amazing

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Man reading y'all's posts I really have to get into the combat system more. I'm at cosmo canyon and didn't even unlock the enemy skill materia, almost exclusively played cloud and appearantly completely missed how to play aerith, and most other characters.

The materia system also has been beckoning with spending some time to actually fiddle with it, but to be completely fair, outside of undebuffed summon materia battles nothing's really a struggle either.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I really really recommend everyone starting does Chadleys basic training stuff in the VR simulator as it helped to clarify all of this kind of thing and especially the synergy moves. It’s very quick. I reckon I never would have worked out how Red XIII is supposed to play without it. I kind of assumed I didn’t need it because of the tips during the first bit but it’s much clearer on all this stuff.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Yeah Chadley's basic training is really helpful. Plus you get some additional materia out of it

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

How the hell do you do the Mind Flayer VR mission?
Half the time the adds suicide bomb my allies as I’m working on his pressure gauge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Man I didn't enjoy the exploration generally, but Corel desert and the next area really feel like you're exploring and are a lot more fun.

This music owns as well.