Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Is that screenshot from the Crow reboot? That looks terrible

I've never been on the fence as much as I am about this new Crow film. While I'm intrigued about a more book faithful adaptation, what I've seen on everything else isn't clicking with me. Add to that, I really don't know how they could even get close to the soundtrack of the original. So, while I'm not writing this film off at this point, they're really going to have to knock it out of the park to consider seeing this at the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ghostwatch is a really fun watch. I don’t know if it’s infamous in the UK, but as an American I’d never heard of it. along with it being an ok little piece of horror it was pretty fun to read the whole context of it and also get a nice little slice of 1992.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

veni veni veni posted:

Ghostwatch is a really fun watch. I don’t know if it’s infamous in the UK, but as an American I’d never heard of it. along with it being an ok little piece of horror it was pretty fun to read the whole context of it and also get a nice little slice of 1992.

Heck yeah! Ghostwatch is a classic.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I first heard of it back when Fangoria still had message boards. We were discussing the faux broadcast shows like The McPherson Tapes and the UK crowd mentioned Ghostwatch. Considering at the time Halloween was still more an American thing and that they used actual presenters along with the same standard call in number the BBC used for its shows, I can understand people getting freaked out about it. I do still wonder what happened with Martin Denham's parents since last thing I've found anywhere was that they were granted permission for a judicial review for the BSC to hear their case.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

Oh, hell yeah, my go-to Alamo is playing The Descent tonight! It's one of my favorites and I've never seen it in theater, so I'm stoked

Niiiiice. That's gonna be a fun screening.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sumerian Comics are publishing an official sequel to The Fog. First issue is out this week, and while I'm a little dubious about the initial direction it's not awful.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just now remembered that I saw the Fog remake in theaters. And that's all I remember about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I just now remembered that I saw the Fog remake in theaters. And that's all I remember about it.

Yea it's one of those auto-amnesia movies where it almost like erases itself from your memory as you're watching it. It doesn't have a single memorable element, from cast to special effects to music, you name it and the movie chose the most forgettable option possible.

Basically killed Tom Welling's movie career too I guess. He never got another shot after that, although you can't really blame the failure of that movie on him.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kind of funny considering it's called The Fog and is filled lots of shots of (CGI rendered) grey void.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it's one of those auto-amnesia movies where it almost like erases itself from your memory as you're watching it. It doesn't have a single memorable element, from cast to special effects to music, you name it and the movie chose the most forgettable option possible.

Basically killed Tom Welling's movie career too I guess. He never got another shot after that, although you can't really blame the failure of that movie on him.

Come on, he was in Cheaper by the Dozen 2.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Come on, he was in Cheaper by the Dozen 2.

He was pretty decent when they brought him on board to Lucifer. I think he found some humility in the years following "I refuse to wear the S in Smallville" days.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Not sure it was posted in here yet, but MaXXXine comes out on July 5th :getin:

That's right after my birthday, so it should be a great present

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

new Late Night With The Devil trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrk7HKDeZR8

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Rageaholic posted:

Not sure it was posted in here yet, but MaXXXine comes out on July 5th :getin:

That's right after my birthday, so it should be a great present

Was waiting for this to get announced. We got spoiled by X and Pearl only being 6 months apart.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Loved X, thought Pearl was pretty meh.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

also new poster

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Doltos posted:

Loved X, thought Pearl was pretty meh.
I was the opposite: thought X was alright, but Pearl was great

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I, of all fuckin people, need movie recs for my girlfriend. Ultra-specific asks incoming:

She loves extreme gore, but hates low budget/bad acting. By "bad acting" I think she means just low budget/low production value. She has no problem with found footage stuff but I think when you're trying to film it like a movie and it doesn't have high production value she hates that. Some movies she's liked and some she hasn't liked:

Liked:

August Underground 1/2/3
Atroz
Guinea Pig 2 (she was less impressed with them as they went on, she hated Mermaid in a Manhole because it was "too silly")
Murder Collection V.1
Der Todesking
29 Needles
Flesh Eater X

Things she DIDN'T like:
American Guinea Pig: Song of Solomon (she liked the gore scenes but the acting ruined it for her she said)
The later/goofier guinea pig movies
Basically any of the old school gore stuff like Zombi, Braindead, Cannibal Holocaust, etc.
Anything "goopy", or silly, like Street Trash.

She is also NOT interested in anything that is real and not faked, so stuff like Traces of Death is off the table, including stuff like the Bunny Game where it's "consensual" but real

I am truly out of ideas as to what other faux-found footage extreme horror there is at this point.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Not found footage, faux or otherwise, but you might want to try that whole Asian ExXxtreme subgenre. (I hate that god drat name) Takashii Miike doesn’t gently caress around.

PS I’m glad you’re back, duder. <3

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean I think if you yourself are scraping the bottom of that particular barrel then there may not be many posters here who can help. Normally you'd be the one to go to for help on that subject.

I assume she's seen stuff like High Tension and Martyrs?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Extreme gore, but good acting.

I dont think such a genre exists.

could just watch Antichrist on repeat.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I mean I think if you yourself are scraping the bottom of that particular barrel then there may not be many posters here who can help. Normally you'd be the one to go to for help on that subject.

I assume she's seen stuff like High Tension and Martyrs?

Yeah thats what I thought too. She's either seen everything "mainstream" like HT or Martyrs, and shes already worked through everything in my collection so I think this is a case of "she likes a niche and has just exhausted it"

ty for all the help anyway everyone!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I, of all fuckin people, need movie recs for my girlfriend. Ultra-specific asks incoming:

She loves extreme gore, but hates low budget/bad acting. By "bad acting" I think she means just low budget/low production value. She has no problem with found footage stuff but I think when you're trying to film it like a movie and it doesn't have high production value she hates that. Some movies she's liked and some she hasn't liked:

i don't have any movie recs, but drat, sounds like you found someone with a common interest and that rocks

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Things she DIDN'T like:

Anything "goopy"

:sever:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
august underground and chill

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Almost forgot: elsewhere this week in horror comics, Marvel just put out What If ... Aliens #1. The "What if?" in this story is "What if Carter Burke had lived?", and it's interesting because it's scripted from a treatment by Paul Reiser.

E: STOP THE loving PRESSES, JOHN CARPENTER JUST DROPPED THE FIRST TRACK FROM LOST THEMES IV: NOIR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDBnBdNyYiM

Not only is it a monster banger, the video also co-stars Natalie Mering (AKA Weyes Blood), who is one of my favourite musicians and who likes her own music videos to be horror movies. Full album is out May 3rd.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 6, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if i were to do a aliens what if it would be... what if alien resurrection was good

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My FIL really loved Alien Resurrection. He admitted it was a pretty bad script but Jeunet's whole vibe really spoke to him. I think he also had a thing for Winona.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who else does your father-in-law want to have sex with?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I will admit it's pretty good for insomnia. It's managed to consistently make me fall asleep each time I've tried to make it through a watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if i were to do a aliens what if it would be... what if alien resurrection was good

It would have the same director and cast but not be written by Whedon

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Who else does your father-in-law want to have sex with?

Well he's dead so no one but it was the alt girl from NCIS

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Liked:

August Underground 1/2/3
Atroz
Guinea Pig 2 (she was less impressed with them as they went on, she hated Mermaid in a Manhole because it was "too silly")
Murder Collection V.1
Der Todesking
29 Needles
Flesh Eater X

Things she DIDN'T like:
American Guinea Pig: Song of Solomon (she liked the gore scenes but the acting ruined it for her she said)
The later/goofier guinea pig movies
Basically any of the old school gore stuff like Zombi, Braindead, Cannibal Holocaust, etc.
Anything "goopy", or silly, like Street Trash.

She is also NOT interested in anything that is real and not faked, so stuff like Traces of Death is off the table, including stuff like the Bunny Game where it's "consensual" but real

I am truly out of ideas as to what other faux-found footage extreme horror there is at this point.

This is a tough one, and she's probably caught some of these through you but (this is just me scrolling through my Plex):

Skull: The Mask
Bacurau
Entrance
Loved Ones
Found
Devil's Candy
Frontieres
Ils (Them)
Grace (2009)
Hunter Hunter
I Saw The Devil
Inside (2007)
Isolation (2006)
Marui Video

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDBnBdNyYiM

Not only is it a monster banger, the video also co-stars Natalie Mering (AKA Weyes Blood), who is one of my favourite musicians and who likes her own music videos to be horror movies. Full album is out May 3rd.

This is absolutely my jam. SO GOOD. Thanks for posting this, cuz goddamn.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Winnie the Pooh public domain IP home invasion horror film

Hunny Games

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah thats what I thought too. She's either seen everything "mainstream" like HT or Martyrs, and shes already worked through everything in my collection so I think this is a case of "she likes a niche and has just exhausted it"

If you're really hard up you could always veer into some extreme action stuff like Timo Tjahjanto. It's nowhere near most of the stuff you listed, but The Night Comes For Us is still bloodier and more brutal than like 90% of horror movies.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Just watched the trailer for Late Night with the Devil.

I'm intrigued. It looks to be about a late night show host that has the devil on to boost ratings and of course poo poo goes down. I love films that show a "deal with the devil" in a literal sense or at least someone having contact with a literal Satan.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Has she seen 13 Assassins? It’s not horror, technically. Just very, very dark action.

It goes pretty loving hard.

Also Kvlt! talked about his girlfriend not liking goopy things and nobody picked that low-hanging fruit. We are refined and classy folks.

8====D

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has she seen 13 Assassins? It’s not horror, technically. Just very, very dark action.

It goes pretty loving hard.

gently caress when he unrolls the banner that says TOTAL MASSACRE

hard as a coffin nail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, sorry, let me rephrase : it goes pretty loving hard

That woman writing with a brush in her mouth is one of those images that just pops into my head sometimes. Woooof.