Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Disappointed to find out this wasn’t Arlene Foster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

How did Cowbridge become so posh? It was dirt poor when my mum grew up there.

Wales still has a basically New Labour government. So as D:Ream nearly sang, things generally get slowly better, on average, external circumstances permitting.

I mostly joke, but are there many places in England where anyone could honestly say it was less of a shithole than 20 years ago?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

xtothez posted:

"Vimes' LED headlights" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, sadly

The thing that immediately stood out to me here is that the guy is paying bare minimum into a pension and wants to pay less. The first advice people with this level of income get is to increase pension contributions where possible, as it's <=50p per £1 in your pocket now versus >= 80p towards retirement. With large enough contributions he could even be claiming child benefit for those two kids to offset the lower take-home figure, while paying substantially less of his gross income to tax.

However spunking between £1k and £2k on a car lease is obviously more important.

It doesn't say he's putting the minimum into his pension; it says he's considering putting less in which means he's not putting the minimum in. You lose your child benefit between £50k and £60k income so he would have to be putting in £14k to his pension before seeing a penny of that back so that's frankly ludicrous advice if they don't have the disposable income no matter how attractive the tax break is. Assuming he's putting in a fairly standard 10% himself at the moment that would be doubling his contributions. Nor does it say anywhere they're paying between £1k and £2k on a car lease, a quick check on Autotrader reveals estate cars (assuming as he has kids) lease deals from £390/month and the majority of all deals are under £700. If you deflate his salary to 2013 (when the high income child benefit cap was introduced) he would've been on about £55k, so the fiscal drag has notionally reduced their child benefit from 50% of it to 0% which is ~£80/month. On £74k his student loan repayments will actually be £350 a month. Given his age assuming he's on a plan 2 student loan and graduated with about 40k of debt the current interest rate is 7.7% and lets say he might have about £25k still on it he'll still be paying this off for at least ten years as the interest is gobbling up half the repayments. It's fair to say they are a good £430/month worse off than an equivalent household 10 years ago, although it's clear the punitive student debt situation is the main cause of this not tax proper; is he even wrong to not see the distinction when the reality for an entire generation of graduates is that it effectively is a tax to them? I think bozza was spot on with his take and it's baffling to see all these prolier-than-thou takes on a household with two kids that doesn't make that much given the wife doesn't work - likely because of the shitshow that is UK childcare and its associated costs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

I mostly joke, but are there many places in England where anyone could honestly say it was less of a shithole than 20 years ago?
Leicester has a free bus that makes frog noises now! Also there's more pedestrian areas and cycle lanes and a nice plaza.

Also despite the insistence of every curtain twitcher on nextdoor and thisisleicester violent crime is down from 20 years ago, and the streets are cleaner in most places.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

it's baffling to see all these prolier-than-thou takes on a household with two kids that doesn't make that much given the wife doesn't work - likely because of the shitshow that is UK childcare and its associated costs.
It's probably because his solution to the crisis facing him and everyone on less than him is "I should pay less taxes."

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 6, 2024

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
hey poms we from down under have questions

Matildas captain Sam Kerr called a police officer “a stupid white bastard” during a dispute over a taxi fare last year, UK newspaper The Sun has reported.

Kerr, who has pleaded not guilty and is fighting to have a charge of racially harassing the police officer thrown out of court, was reported to have been sick in the cab after a night out and is then alleged to have unleashed the slur when police arrived.

With the offence carrying a potential prison term or fine or both, her glittering career and millions of dollars in endorsements are hanging by a thread following the revelation of the alleged incident.

how bored are the fuzz that theyre trying to waste time with this poo poo

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
well first of all the sun is a rag

second of all this is clearly an exceptionally thin-skinned cop who 100% gets worse than that every day and upon finding this is a famous football is trying to get a payday out of it. and of course the cops look after their own (except whistleblowers etc) so she'll have their full support

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

It's probably because his solution to the crisis facing him and everyone on less than him is "I should pay less taxes."

If we taxed wealth properly then he probably could pay less taxes. Is your proposition that families with young children who are materially worse off than equivalent families 10 years ago and are facing decaying public services and a high interest high inflation economy should be paying more in taxes? Simply because he's baited into saying an ignorant thing by a hack journalist? I didn't realise we only wanted to improve conditions for the purest of true believers.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Lid posted:

Matildas captain Sam Kerr called a police officer “a stupid white bastard” during a dispute over a taxi fare last year, UK newspaper The Sun has reported.

Kerr, who has pleaded not guilty and is fighting to have a charge of racially harassing the police officer thrown out of court, was reported to have been sick in the cab after a night out and is then alleged to have unleashed the slur when police arrived.

With the offence carrying a potential prison term or fine or both, her glittering career and millions of dollars in endorsements are hanging by a thread following the revelation of the alleged incident.

It's not really a question of boredom. If she has called an officer that, and it's been caught on body worn video, then a criminal investigation HAS to be opened. Obviously the officer in question could decline to support prosecution, which happens in the vast majority of cases when officers get religiously/racially abused. It's sadly an occupational hazard for BME/LGBTQ officers. But equally if Kerr was being a real arsehole that evening, they may decide to support. Realistically shes not facing any kind of custodial sentence; if CPS actually decides to run with it, a fine and an apology is the most likely outcome.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If it starts to get serious then the Aussie government will likely step in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

If we taxed wealth properly then he probably could pay less taxes. Is your proposition that families with young children who are materially worse off than equivalent families 10 years ago and are facing decaying public services and a high interest high inflation economy should be paying more in taxes? Simply because he's baited into saying an ignorant thing by a hack journalist? I didn't realise we only wanted to improve conditions for the purest of true believers.
He could be on £250k a year and come out with something like "I'm worse off than 10 years ago, we should have free childcare, free meals for kids, and vastly increased child benefits, I'd happily pay double in tax for that because I'd still be better off at the end of the month" and I'd think yeah that's fine, or he could be on £15k a year and say "taxes should be lower so I get more" and I'd still think them an idiot.

I don't think he should be eaten by wolves or anything, but I don't think he was baited into anything, he's still in a trickle down economics bubble, which is probably in large part because of how insulated he was up until now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

If it starts to get serious then the Aussie government will likely step in.

Sounds like a bootable offence alright

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

I thought Australians would get very excited to hear one of their athletes racially abusing someone? Like, that's your national pass-time isn't it?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

forkboy84 posted:

I thought Australians would get very excited to hear one of their athletes racially abusing someone? Like, that's your national pass-time isn't it?

we're more on the side of seeing a thin-skinned cop abusing a law to pass bs charges on an indigenous Australian, which is our cops favourite past time too

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Boot on the wrong foot this time, basically.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

He could be on £250k a year and come out with something like "I'm worse off than 10 years ago, we should have free childcare, free meals for kids, and vastly increased child benefits, I'd happily pay double in tax for that because I'd still be better off at the end of the month" and I'd think yeah that's fine, or he could be on £15k a year and say "taxes should be lower so I get more" and I'd still think them an idiot.

I don't think he should be eaten by wolves or anything, but I don't think he was baited into anything, he's still in a trickle down economics bubble, which is probably in large part because of how insulated he was up until now.

I don't care if you think the guy's an idiot but half the goons itt are basically denying the material circumstances point blank and parroting tory tabloid talking points about how people should be more austere and complain less.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Lid posted:

we're more on the side of seeing a thin-skinned cop abusing a law to pass bs charges on an indigenous Australian, which is our cops favourite past time too

Police Officers having discretion on when some racisms are fine and when some racisms are naughty is not something anyone wants.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sadsack posted:

Police Officers having discretion on when some racisms are fine and when some racisms are naughty is not something anyone wants.

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y:nws:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol at assigning him to the SPG

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
thank god the law of the uk is finally doing something for white people. we have been oppressed too long

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sadsack posted:

They already do that, that's why she's being charged for describing a white police officer, while people can make poo poo up all day in public about grooming gangs and Albanians and military aged Muslim males without charge.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hey, maybe she insulted the one non racist guy on the forcpfffffftttttttttt sorry sorry couldn't keep it straight.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Sadsack posted:

first they came for the whites
well not really came for
someone called someone a white bastard
which is basically the same
anyway
i did not speak out
because it was pretty cool actually
then nothing bad happened
because racism against white uk cops isn't actually a thing

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Sadsack posted:

this is the enlightened centrism i've come to believe in from the LDP

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This feels like something that'll get resolved with an apology and either a fine or some community service.
I mean, she's not going to be playing football anytime soon with her ACL injury, so why not go and teach some hijabi teenagers to kick a ball around in Brent or Newham.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
She's a Chelsea player I think. So she's obviously bound by company policy to do a certain number of racisms a month.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

I bet if you renamed 'disestablishmentarianism' to 'privatizing the CofE' you could get the tories to support it in an instant, it's pretty funny that one of the few Crown enterprises they haven't scrapped or sold off is the one that allows a bunch of old men to wander around the upper house scuppering all their plans.

That used to be my dad's favourite trick.

"antidisestablishmentarianism is a very long word, spell it" (to which of course the answer is I T).

Mum's just popped round, giving her the latest Kate news off twitter. Her eyes popped out of her head when I explained "pegging" to her.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 6, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://x.com/UKLabour/status/1765353639097278687?s=20

The Glasgow Wonka Experience is officially no longer funny

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

drat, being only a beer and occasional spirits guy I lived through this time period in my prime 'Off out for the night' age and never intersected with any of it, the closest I came were a couple of friends who did the whole Tie-Dye-Smock-and-Levellers-CD weed route. Harrowing stuff, and a total failure by Government to do anything of use about the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ouaDMjMbJ4

The fact that every time they'd ban Spice the manufacturers would spin up a new molecule a little further removed from a 'safe' weed analog to some frankenhigh, and you'd never know what version number you were getting :o:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Awful loving country, disgusting really

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

Awful loving country, disgusting really

Bookmarking this post for future use, because it's a timeless senitment.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
The Budget is currently on the telly and Hunt is pointing at Starmer and calling him fat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of which, it's been over a month since we found out that Charles has arse cancer and nobody itt has said that there's a issue with the King's Counsel.

forkboy84 posted:

The Glasgow Wonka Experience is officially no longer funny

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The fact that every time they'd ban Spice the manufacturers would spin up a new molecule a little further removed from a 'safe' weed analog to some frankenhigh, and you'd never know what version number you were getting :o:
Alan Johnson's clown show ban of mephedrone (riddled with typos, with half the ACMD quitting in disgust, and done with no actual analysis of the harms entirely to appease the media circus) was my top reason for not voting Labour in 2010.

During the 2 year period where mephedrone was legal and readily available, stimulant deaths hit a record low. Then they shot back up as people switched back to cocaine or new far worse legal highs. That oval office has blood on his hands and all because the Sun repeated an obvious hoax about scrotal centipedes and he believed it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Guavanaut posted:

Alan Johnson's clown show ban of mephedrone (riddled with typos, with half the ACMD quitting in disgust, and done with no actual analysis of the harms entirely to appease the media circus) was my top reason for not voting Labour in 2010.

During the 2 year period where mephedrone was legal and readily available, stimulant deaths hit a record low. Then they shot back up as people switched back to cocaine or new far worse legal highs. That oval office has blood on his hands and all because the Sun repeated an obvious hoax about scrotal centipedes and he believed it.

Yeah that's touched on in the video too, just total reactive policies.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

Thread title surely

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

drat, being only a beer and occasional spirits guy I lived through this time period in my prime 'Off out for the night' age and never intersected with any of it, the closest I came were a couple of friends who did the whole Tie-Dye-Smock-and-Levellers-CD weed route. Harrowing stuff, and a total failure by Government to do anything of use about the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ouaDMjMbJ4

lovely AI-generated youtube thumbnails are going to be the new trend, aren't they? They're somehow even worse than the brightly-coloured shocked reaction face ones.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

lovely AI-generated youtube thumbnails are going to be the new trend, aren't they? They're somehow even worse than the brightly-coloured shocked reaction face ones.

Yeah, I'm not going to watch anything which gives that first impression.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i was already avoiding anything with the "uber driver sucked me off?" thumbnail

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, the Sunday Sport.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah that's touched on in the video too, just total reactive policies.
It was especially bad because at the time it presented a once in a generation chance to try something different, literally anything other than prohibition. Class D like New Zealand. Restrict sale to pharmacy only. Fines for selling to kids. Anything.

And being Home Secretary he had the powers to contact the police and hospitals to find out if the obvious hoax story was an obvious hoax, and could even have swung that around into an attack on the press printing open lies.

But nope, election year, gotta be tough even if it causes a 50% rise in drug deaths, isn't even spelled right, and then they lose the election anyway.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

"Ah finally... a good ash crimson post"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Thread title surely

Scrotal Centipedes