Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Am I crazy or is there no flashlight in the tech tree?

There are multiple tabs (trees) of upgrades on that computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alright I will double check again later, I just don’t remember seeing it in the tools tab

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Alright I will double check again later, I just don’t remember seeing it in the tools tab
It's in the headlights tab.

Edit: I missed this was pointed out at the end of the last page. Whoops.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

ephex posted:

I've been having random crashes recently. One during a run and one in the garage.

Screen goes to black and all fans turn up to max then PC reboots. Any idea what could be the cause?

I haven’t gotten that playing Pacific Drive, but I’ve gotten similar behavior when running the Unreal Engine’s editor. (Pacific Drive uses Unreal, so this might be relevant?) I never found out a conclusive answer as to why this might happen, but after doing a bunch of research I became slightly suspicious that it might be the GPU not getting enough power. I reseated the card and its power cables, which has seemingly fixed the problem.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
anyone else feel like the songs on the jukebox are pastiches of different artists? ive heard not lou reed, the sisters of mercy, the mamas and the papas, tom petty etc.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The radio stays off when I play, I have my own playlist thanks. I occasionally have to take a moment wondering what that weird noise is after some anomalies and then remember the radio is a thing and turn it off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You should give the radio playlist and background soundtrack a listen at least once, it’s pretty good imo.

Also I figured out a trick that just made me feel like the cleverest driver. I got to the mid zone and found those coral things. I noticed the coral blooms fade/shrink away if you get close. I can’t vacuum them up like that! The scan suggested using the thermal vacuum, which I don’t have yet. Then I thought “wait, so it wants heat? I got heat.” if you light a flare and drop it at the base of the coral… tree thing, some of the blooms will come out and can be sucked up with the regular vacuum.

It’s probably not as efficient and it’s much easier with the thermal vacuum, but it works!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

The radio stays off when I play, I have my own playlist thanks. I occasionally have to take a moment wondering what that weird noise is after some anomalies and then remember the radio is a thing and turn it off.

:mods:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Normally I detest at least 1/3-1/2 of the songs in a game’s radio station like this, but Pacific Drive really only has one or two songs I’ve skipped.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think the radio, much like the crafting tree, comes down to whether you beeline the main story missions or not

You'll exhaust both if you diddle around in the outer and mid zones for a long time, if you beeline the tree choices matter a bit more and you'll get to the ending without a 'perfect' setup (which you don't need anyway)

Really a lot of the later stuff feels like it's there to let you gently caress around in the 'postgame', because you're not going to be able to sustain either the gas guzzling or battery guzzling of the top engines without a car loaded with gas/juice generation, and that all requires a bunch of deep zone mats you won't get without farming there for a bit

I realize a lot of people play these games to 100% All The Things, I usually don't since the game systems and/or my enthusiasm for the game tends to breakdown past a certain point

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I ain't gonna hate, I do the same thing. Usually podcasts instead of song lists but close enough.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Normally I detest at least 1/3-1/2 of the songs in a game’s radio station like this, but Pacific Drive really only has one or two songs I’ve skipped.

iF U wAnT 2 I wIlL b tHeIr 4 U

my mental in shambles

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I don't think any of the music in the game is like "this is a bad song and I hate it", but there is a bit of a variety issue that crops up and I end up skipping songs because I've already heard it like a dozen times in the past 2 hours.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i really only listen to the radio in the garage but the soundscape including the radio nice and immersive in there

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I understand the technical can of worms it poses, but I do hope for people who play it in the future, they can eventually figure out a way to let you close both garage doors. It really messes with the vibe sometimes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

I understand the technical can of worms it poses, but I do hope for people who play it in the future, they can eventually figure out a way to let you close both garage doors. It really messes with the vibe sometimes

yeah its a little thing but when theres a heavy storm id like to close the back garage door

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Driving means radio off, garage work means radio on.

E: That said I will carry an extremely vivid moment of racing to the gateway in complete disrepair while Cadillac Dust blares over the radio.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

blastron posted:

I haven’t gotten that playing Pacific Drive, but I’ve gotten similar behavior when running the Unreal Engine’s editor. (Pacific Drive uses Unreal, so this might be relevant?) I never found out a conclusive answer as to why this might happen, but after doing a bunch of research I became slightly suspicious that it might be the GPU not getting enough power. I reseated the card and its power cables, which has seemingly fixed the problem.

Thank you, will try this.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Hard agree. I would love if somehow they could spin this game off into slightly more of a life sim like a My STALKER Car, let me drive around the zone with a case of ARDA Brews driving a tourist home from the bar.

I know that’s sort of way off from what they’re going for but it would be great if it could lean into those “immersive sim” elements just a tiny bit more. Not to say I find it lacking as is, just that they’ve done a good job and I want them to keep doing it more.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
It's weird that there seems to be a persistent perception that all the songs on the radio are created specifically for Pacific Drive when a bunch of them (I'd say most, based on a quick check I just did of the OST on Spotify) are just licensed songs that fit the PNW scene.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

bgreman posted:

It's weird that there seems to be a persistent perception that all the songs on the radio are created specifically for Pacific Drive
Where have you seen that?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Steam Discussions and at least one place on Reddit. Mostly comes up when people ask whether you can replace the music with your own.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

You should be able to replace the songs on the radio, but only with things that came out in or before the early 2000s.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Hard agree. I would love if somehow they could spin this game off into slightly more of a life sim like a My STALKER Car, let me drive around the zone with a case of ARDA Brews driving a tourist home from the bar.

I know that’s sort of way off from what they’re going for but it would be great if it could lean into those “immersive sim” elements just a tiny bit more. Not to say I find it lacking as is, just that they’ve done a good job and I want them to keep doing it more.

I don’t get why they didn’t enable an “All Zones Connected” option where you would only trigger a gateway when you wanted to return to the Garage without driving all the way back. You can already disable the instability and gateway storms so why not go all the way and let me disable the extraction mode entirely?

The zones could still respawn after you leave to keep things interesting and resources available. Then give me a DLC that expands the map, adds in traders, survivor zones/towns, and garage’s I can buy so I don’t have to start at the bottom of the map each time I want to go for a drive.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hibbloes posted:

iF U wAnT 2 I wIlL b tHeIr 4 U

my mental in shambles

I would 100% have heard this song in 1998 on like a college radio station

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would love a mode where you could just drive around the zone.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/ironwoodtweets/status/1765093673606472145?t=4lC3HUbPJf6gr3IcOPJ9OQ&s=19

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

GrunkleStalin posted:

I don’t get why they didn’t enable an “All Zones Connected” option where you would only trigger a gateway when you wanted to return to the Garage without driving all the way back. You can already disable the instability and gateway storms so why not go all the way and let me disable the extraction mode entirely?

That's a pretty big ask from a small indie team that's trying to release a functioning core gameplay loop.
The storms are easy to option up because it's just setting an already configurable timer value.
Right now all gateways are one-way and don't connect to the garage at all. It'd be a whole thing to develop and test outside the core scope of the game.

A mod could do so you always start with, dunno, 5 kLIM so you can always trigger a gateway, but that's a kind of jank that's only allowed in mods.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 5, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ah so this is what they mean by "i will become obsessed with the car and disappear forever" sucked into the vr world like lawnmower man

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This has the same vibes as me using VR overlays in Elite Dangerous to put Twitch streams and web browsers around my cockpit for long-haul flights.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I wonder what alternate history Napster or Kazaa would be like.

Edit: LIMwire

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Heffer posted:

Edit: LIMwire

:emptyquote:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Got the perfect quirk. Toggle lights, car lurches forward. One quick mouse thumb button re-binding later the concept of inertia is only a suggestion and I can reach approximately 200 mph by the end of the road right outside the garage. Made it far enough past the auto-loading zone to see the shimmery out-of-bounds wall while doing a sicknasty airborn barrel roll off the side of the road.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I keep getting the one where when you shift to park the front passenger door opens

The Quirks computer tells me I have like 5 other quirks but I have not noticed anything obvious like the door one

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

FlamingLiberal posted:

I keep getting the one where when you shift to park the front passenger door opens

The Quirks computer tells me I have like 5 other quirks but I have not noticed anything obvious like the door one

They can be stuff like "If the battery is empty, honk the horn" or something that will never come up.

The very first quirk I got was "when trunk is closed, honk the horn", and I have kept it through the whole game. Every time I finish packing for a trip, my car is all "hey, I'm ready, buddy!". Makes me smile every time.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I only fixed 3 Quirks so far. The rest of the list is all unknown to me.

Twice I got "while steering wheel is turning, dims headlights" but it's essentially turning them off if I turn for more than 0.5 second... so that's a bad one.

The other one I got was "when closing the trunk, radio turns on".

I only identified another one but never fixed it which is "when turning the steering wheel to the left, the fuel gauge fails".

The other 3-4 are unknown and I didn't notice anything...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The very first quirk I got was "when trunk is closed, honk the horn", and I have kept it through the whole game. Every time I finish packing for a trip, my car is all "hey, I'm ready, buddy!". Makes me smile every time.

i did the exact same thing. i also have been playing with the tomagachi so i give it a treat as well. the more you interact with it, it seems, the more it talks to you

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had the trunk close Horn honk one, fixed it, it came back.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I got one that was a gigantic pain to actually track down, "when wipers turn right, car controls invert". Because wipers only turn right for a half second at a time, it made it look like so many other things entirely and I burn through a lot of guesses trying to find that out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Once you get the upgrades that let you pay lim to confirm a quirk category you can just savescum to learn them all. Granted this is not the path of honor