Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I did all the basic training for the materia and still forgot a lot of it lol. It was mostly very much worth it just for the extra rundown on synergy skills/abilities but I still probably should revisit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The only gently caress up they made with this game is not getting Limmy for Cait Sith.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Yeah gotta admit I went in a bit cocky thinking "eh I finished remake, should be fine" but doing just clouds tutorial thought me a few moves I didn't know .

After burning out a bit over the weekend I'm gonna take my time now and do some tutorials and backtrack to the areas I didn't explore more. might also need to, ugh, learn to play yuffie the way everyone is gushing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If you noped out of the Queen’s Blood tournament on the cruise ship, just know that you made a terrible mistake. Everything about that was amazing.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

so it seems like the game does the level sync stuff FFXIV-style, i just went with solo cloud on the junon enemy skill challenge (due to being solo in corel prison) and absolutely housed it. either that or prime mode is way better than i figured it would be

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What keeps loving me up about Synergy Skills is that they are on R1. In Remake I got very used to attacking out of a block, or with Cloud stance shifting in a block. Even now that I'm not trying to do that anymore it turns out that a lot of the time I hit attacks just quickly enough after blocks that it starts doing whatever skill is mapped to that combo instead of the action I wanted (and drat if it isn't always something with a long-ish animation commitment).

I feel like the system overall is... just too much, like, you've got all these characters and they all have their own basic systems and ability sets, but also they all have this whole other realtime kit that can only be used by shortcut buttons you can't control and change not only per character but based on your other party members, and don't all have consistent traits beyond broadly being offensive or defensive. And yet they seem to be essential to managing the flow of fights and some do damage good enough that I feel like a lot of the game is tougher if you don't use them. I love the idea of it but everything about it runs counter to some aspect of how it feels like it should work when you start playing and I wound up not even trying to engage with it for ages because it only ever caused problems whenever I tried. I suspect this perspective is more common than the developers intend.

Why did it have to be on R1. Do people even use the triggers in battle? I just hit X and up/down once, it's all the same to me.

Also, between Synergy Skills, Synergy Commands and Synergy Materia there is too much goddamn Synergy. I didn't need Rapid Growth, man.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Got my Gotterdammerung, and what a challenge that was! Much harder than in Remake and Intermission.

Time for ch11-14 hard mode and that one combat challenge for the last hard mode side quest.

Going to put the G on someone else (apart from in solo fights) and keep Cloud on the level 3 limit accessory. That way, I can limit syphon and keep doing my most powerful limit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have a quest to stagger an enemy and I can't do it because they just die

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

JBP posted:

I have a quest to stagger an enemy and I can't do it because they just die

Switch to Dynamic difficulty and it'll level scale it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

guts and bolts posted:

It has come to my attention that the chief complaint about this game among some of the review outlets is that there's, uh, too much game in it, I guess, which just continues my desyncing from reality. I read somewhere, and I can't remember exactly where because I entered a fugue state upon seeing it, that the new FF7 games are "adjacent" to live-service games, because... there's... more than one of them? I don't actually know. Lesson learned.

Honestly, I do think they have a point about excess for excess' sake. My lizard brain loves checkboxing stuff, but there's an argument for editing down some of the map slop for an overall tighter experience.

The "live service" angle is crazy, though. Any game with sequels or episodic releases is a live service? Uh, ok.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh also: specifically stage 1's Hard Mode of Gears and Gambits was what got me to finally give in and temporarily shunt the difficulty to Easy. The other hard modes were basically fine. But a hard deployment cap is too much. I don't understand how you can build units capable enough to offset a lack of numbers within the options given.

I love the idea of G&G, I mean, god drat I will stan FFXII until the end of time so imagine my delight to see it as a minigame. But also, I don't think it really works the same way at all, mostly because the whole appeal in XII is that your autopilot is usually able to roll with an area's deal but you can step in and issue corrections at any time when the game throws a curveball, which it likes to do (and also that the big appeal of Gambits is that they automate what's usually a lot of routine menu tedium in a menu-heavy RPG). Instead we have this kinda sorta roll your own Fort Condor, but there's not enough options to really do anything interesting or experiment. Not that I didn't have fun with my disposable Missile shock troopers while they were viable within the rules, but the way they structure the actual demands that are made of you, especially in Hard Mode, is just, there is no room for anything and a lot of the options seem like traps. Also, like Fort Condor, the time limit is bullshit. In general, hard time limits are bullshit and instead games of this sort should endeavour to be imbalanced in a way that stalemates are impossible so you are always winning so long as you aren't losing, or so I think anyway (Rebirth's combat is like this in general, I find; a lot of the time, defence has to be done in advance, and if you're on the back foot at all you're probably going to lose). The minimum fix I would apply is make it so that instead of eating an instant loss, it just cuts off your ATB, so you can't deploy any more units (maybe let you spend any ATB you have left), so if your remaining units got close enough to finish the job before wiping you can squeak by. Fort Condor should do the same.

This reminds me... is anyone using Auto Weapon Ability? Between that, Auto Unique, Auto Cast and Synergy, I feel like there's scope to build some Gambits out of Materia, but it suits some characters more than others. I find Aerith usually wants to have a bar in the tank for short notice in fights that call for magic at all, but Barret is fine when left to the AI. Do we know how the AI reasons about weapon skills? Any good setups been found? I think Cait Sith could be a pretty good automaton, fittingly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why does it take so load to load in between rounds in the combat sim :psyduck:

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Fedule posted:

Oh also: specifically stage 1's Hard Mode of Gears and Gambits was what got me to finally give in and temporarily shunt the difficulty to Easy. The other hard modes were basically fine. But a hard deployment cap is too much. I don't understand how you can build units capable enough to offset a lack of numbers within the options given.

I love the idea of G&G, I mean, god drat I will stan FFXII until the end of time so imagine my delight to see it as a minigame. But also, I don't think it really works the same way at all, mostly because the whole appeal in XII is that your autopilot is usually able to roll with an area's deal but you can step in and issue corrections at any time when the game throws a curveball, which it likes to do (and also that the big appeal of Gambits is that they automate what's usually a lot of routine menu tedium in a menu-heavy RPG). Instead we have this kinda sorta roll your own Fort Condor, but there's not enough options to really do anything interesting or experiment. Not that I didn't have fun with my disposable Missile shock troopers while they were viable within the rules, but the way they structure the actual demands that are made of you, especially in Hard Mode, is just, there is no room for anything and a lot of the options seem like traps. Also, like Fort Condor, the time limit is bullshit. In general, hard time limits are bullshit and instead games of this sort should endeavour to be imbalanced in a way that stalemates are impossible so you are always winning so long as you aren't losing, or so I think anyway (Rebirth's combat is like this in general, I find; a lot of the time, defence has to be done in advance, and if you're on the back foot at all you're probably going to lose). The minimum fix I would apply is make it so that instead of eating an instant loss, it just cuts off your ATB, so you can't deploy any more units (maybe let you spend any ATB you have left), so if your remaining units got close enough to finish the job before wiping you can squeak by. Fort Condor should do the same.

This reminds me... is anyone using Auto Weapon Ability? Between that, Auto Unique, Auto Cast and Synergy, I feel like there's scope to build some Gambits out of Materia, but it suits some characters more than others. I find Aerith usually wants to have a bar in the tank for short notice in fights that call for magic at all, but Barret is fine when left to the AI. Do we know how the AI reasons about weapon skills? Any good setups been found? I think Cait Sith could be a pretty good automaton, fittingly.

Unfortunately, you need to do all the hard mode minigames if you want party level 10.

I used the following setup (I think I found it on reddit) for hard mode stage 1
https://imgur.com/a/u6Gche6

and this one for hard mode stages 2-4:
https://imgur.com/a/ygXvYDs

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Son of Rodney posted:

Man reading y'all's posts I really have to get into the combat system more. I'm at cosmo canyon and didn't even unlock the enemy skill materia, almost exclusively played cloud and appearantly completely missed how to play aerith, and most other characters.

The materia system also has been beckoning with spending some time to actually fiddle with it, but to be completely fair, outside of undebuffed summon materia battles nothing's really a struggle either.
I feel like the game's difficulty should default to Dynamic, because anything easier makes a lot of the fights so trivial that you're not compelled to dig into the battle system; Final Fantasy XVI had a similar problem, where the combat was fairly deep and mechanically satisfying, but you were only required to learn the fun tricks on the hardest difficulty. Hard Mode chapters will likely get the experimentation and min-max juices flowing.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Btw this is probably a bit late for me to ask given I am in chapter 4 but is there a way to force aerial combat on melee characters? In remake cloud or tifa would just automatically enter air combat when you locked on and attacked a flying foe but that doesn't work as well now? Did I miss something?
I think the main reason Yuffie gets "goat" chat is because Cloud and Tifa are being really undersold, Cloud especially, so here's some fun stuff it's easy to gloss over (Cloud himself opens up considerably once you have his fourth weapon and its corresponding ability): if you ever want to immediately begin an air combo on Cloud, you can burn an ATB on a launching move, such as the ones on his second and third weapons (Operator mode only for the third), or you can dodge, then press and hold your attack button right thereafter. If you have his fourth weapon and his Counterfire Synergy Skill unlocked (which is one of the first things you can get, iirc), Cloud can sit in Punisher after activating its Weapon Ability and absolutely destroy anything, particularly and especially bosses, as Counterfire eliminates Punisher's only defensive weakness, and the fourth weapon's Ability drastically increases its damage output. His stagger output is absolutely ludicrous, and only goes higher as you develop his folio.

You mentioned having done well in Remake and the new stuff in Rebirth being novel, and Cloud is probably the character whose "flow" changed the most between games. In Remake, you spent most of your defensive time dodging outside of specific phases or enemies where you'd fish for Punisher counters. In Rebirth, Cloud's kit heavily encourages blocking over dodging. Give him a Steadfast Block, Precision Block Mastery, and Enemy Skill for Plasma Discharge, and he will absolutely shred everything on Dynamic more or less by himself.

edit: the tutorial also neglects to mention that transitioning from one mode to the other does different things contextually. If you go from Operator to Punisher on the ground, Cloud auto-counters during the transition as if you were blocking in Punisher mode; if you go from Operator to Punisher in mid-air, Cloud will end his air combo with a Helm Breaker-style downward impact. Cloud's third and fourth weapons' Abilities really transform him into a self-sufficient murder machine.

Capfalcon posted:

Honestly, I do think they have a point about excess for excess' sake. My lizard brain loves checkboxing stuff, but there's an argument for editing down some of the map slop for an overall tighter experience.

The "live service" angle is crazy, though. Any game with sequels or episodic releases is a live service? Uh, ok.
The "map slop" is optional. I'm not trying to trivialize your point, and I empathize with "if it's there, I'm going to do it, because it gives me even a small happy-chemical hit" completionism, but I find the core criticism of "there is too much stuff to do in this game" nonsensical. If you want to mainline the plot, you can do that. If you want to take your time and explore the world by pressing Triangle a lot, you can do that, too. The side content, particularly the mini-games that seem to be the current lightning rod, is largely fully-realized and brimming with effort, particularly those in the Gold Saucer and in some of the protorelic world intel missions, and even those are, in the main, skippable if you feel like you must advance the plot. I don't think it's excess for its own sake -- the creators wanted to make a game where you could get a buffet of environmental storytelling and party beats where you see your favorite characters interacting, and I feel like they accomplished that goal. In the original Final Fantasy VII, for example, reaching the world map made the game feel very empty:

This was obviously a product of the PlayStation's technical limitations, but it is what it is. In FF7R2, the game world itself tells you a lot about the setting, and you're left to make pretty logical inferences about stuff that used to be here and isn't, or you come across rusted hulks of war machines and destroyed homes, or you find farmers trying to make a living on their livestock complaining about poor harvests, or whatever you happen to find. I was having a blast in the Junon region just exploring all the piles of trash, you know?

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 6, 2024

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Shoutout to anyone who had to send their game back because apparently making sure data discs still work is not a priority these days.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

guts and bolts posted:

The "map slop" is optional. I'm not trying to trivialize your point, and I empathize with "if it's there, I'm going to do it, because it gives me even a small happy-chemical hit" completionism, but I find the core criticism of "there is too much stuff to do in this game" nonsensical. If you want to mainline the plot, you can do that. If you want to take your time and explore the world by pressing Triangle a lot, you can do that, too. The side content, particularly the mini-games that seem to be the current lightning rod, is largely fully-realized and brimming with effort, particularly those in the Gold Saucer and in some of the protorelic world intel missions, and even those are, in the main, skippable if you feel like you must advance the plot. I don't think it's excess for its own sake -- the creators wanted to make a game where you could get a buffet of environmental storytelling and party beats where you see your favorite characters interacting, and I feel like they accomplished that goal. In the original Final Fantasy VII, for example, reaching the world map made the game feel very empty:

This was obviously a product of the PlayStation's technical limitations, but it is what it is. In FF7R2, the game world itself tells you a lot about the setting, and you're left to make pretty logical inferences about stuff that used to be here and isn't, or you come across rusted hulks of war machines and destroyed homes, or you find farmers trying to make a living on their livestock complaining about poor harvests, or whatever you happen to find. I was having a blast in the Junon region just exploring all the piles of trash, you know?

I agree it's an improvement, and I think most of it is genuinely good!

But I'm also saying that I get the perspective of "There is a lot of duplicated content in the map sections, and tighter curation of the map tasks would make the average play experience stay at a higher level. That would lead to fewer gameplay hours, but I think that is a good tradeoff."

As an example, imagine that instead of icons you were told where the Lifestream Owls were found. Not shown on a map, but told actual directions that you followed in the world. Once you found them, you could follow the owls to the spring and get your loot and XP. Overall, mostly the same experience, but one gets you looking at the beautiful scenery and thinking about the map as an actual place instead of a glowing pin that you follow.

That might lead to fewer overall locations of interest on the map, but it would be more engaging to follow them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bewilderment posted:

Switch to Dynamic difficulty and it'll level scale it.

I am on dynamic difficulty. I eventually got it by watering down Barret and very gently shooting them.

Also tonight in chapter 9 I fought scarlet in her robot thing it's the toughest fight I've had yet. Actually pushed me to think about things. I also haven't been playing as Yuffie and Tifa so I had to learn what they do. I also knew what materia I should have brought, because you know what the boss is, and I still forgot to change it. So some characters didn't even have all their materia slots full because I wasn't using them and had moved their stuff to my other characters lol.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 6, 2024

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Capfalcon posted:

I agree it's an improvement, and I think most of it is genuinely good!

But I'm also saying that I get the perspective of "There is a lot of duplicated content in the map sections, and tighter curation of the map tasks would make the average play experience stay at a higher level. That would lead to fewer gameplay hours, but I think that is a good tradeoff."

As an example, imagine that instead of icons you were told where the Lifestream Owls were found. Not shown on a map, but told actual directions that you followed in the world. Once you found them, you could follow the owls to the spring and get your loot and XP. Overall, mostly the same experience, but one gets you looking at the beautiful scenery and thinking about the map as an actual place instead of a glowing pin that you follow.

That might lead to fewer overall locations of interest on the map, but it would be more engaging to follow them.
I think that's a valid point, but I don't think the fact that the Lifespring locations are marked by the towers to be something that detracts from the experience, overall; I already followed the owls and the divine orbs and the chocobo chicks as a matter of course, and found them pretty interesting and cool -- not to use that specific example as an emblem of your whole argument, I mean. I get what you're saying and I probably agree! I've just been sort of baffled by the insistence on review outlets to find "weaknesses" and then also to highlight and center them. The animated corpse of what was formerly The Escapist has a review headline about there being too many mechanics and mini-games; Kotaku's Queen's Blood starter guide article links to their review by underscoring "weaknesses", etc. It has very big "my supervisor had to write something down in the Needs Improvement section of my performance review" energy, which is just sort of pitiful. "It's really good BUT" is not a thing I see applied to, say, Zelda, or whatever.

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

I know Cloud is the main character but with so many new party members, I wish you could regulate Cloud to the bench during battles. With the quick preset party switch combo, it’s awesome switching between party combinations with ease. This is one of the few RPGs where I don’t have a permanent bench for certain characters because I didn’t bother to gear or level them up. (Looking at you yakuza 8: infinite wealth). I would love experimenting with new party combos that would not include cloud.

Edit: playing through chapter 5 and Yuffie is too much for me being an over the top teenager. She’s super annoying and I wished the game developers dialed it back. Though it reminds me of Zell from Final Fantasy 8 as a kid though so maybe kids enjoy the over the top ditzy humor because I did when I first played FF8 as a kid. FF8 was my favorite as a kid growing up. I’m just being old. When’s the final fantasy 8 remake?

MintFresh fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 6, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah not being able to ditch cloud is a bit sad but at least party xp is shared so you don't wind up like in ff7og where cloud is a huge swole dude ten levels above your weakest character.

I'm going the overcity in junon rn and I spent about ten minutes running around to get all the units and I got really annoyed at 9/10 and was about to give up and then I discovered the bar full of bald people lmao

I love the character through line from ff7og that the Turks typically are either too self involved to notice who you are, or just simply don't care when they're off the clock

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm going the overcity in junon rn and I spent about ten minutes running around to get all the units and I got really annoyed at 9/10 and was about to give up and then I discovered the bar full of bald people lmao

I love the character through line from ff7og that the Turks typically are either too self involved to notice who you are, or just simply don't care when they're off the clock

I’m basically where you are at (a little ahead) and I loved the Elena at the bar bit being sad when gathering up all the units.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I was hoping you'd just run into them all but no sign of Tseng or Reno

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elena is so much fun in this, just a hilarious character so far

Comrades, I'm just so happy. This game's making me so happy. God I missed when FF felt like this

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I was hoping you'd just run into them all but no sign of Tseng or Reno

Does Reno even show up in this game? I haven't beaten the game yet but he's been missing from a couple spots now where he showed up in the original so I'm starting to wonder. I know his Japanese VA died a few years ago which might have caused them to shelve him for now.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I'm not sure on the specifics but I'm pretty sure Reno does show up eventually. I don't recall him saying anything specific though.

Apparently it's not unheard of in Japanese VA work to use a lot of recycled voice clips. The actor for Igor in the Persona series was in the same situation for a while.

Given the game's development cycle, I'm mostly curious how they handled using child actors. That is something which would have required some actual planning-ahead for how they wanted to write the series.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Gliding took a bunch of tries, but most issues were that I didn't hold up long enough for ascent and that sometimes hitting up on the other stick caused ot to stop ascending

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

MintFresh posted:

I know Cloud is the main character but with so many new party members, I wish you could regulate Cloud to the bench during battles. With the quick preset party switch combo, it’s awesome switching between party combinations with ease. This is one of the few RPGs where I don’t have a permanent bench for certain characters because I didn’t bother to gear or level them up. (Looking at you yakuza 8: infinite wealth). I would love experimenting with new party combos that would not include cloud.

You definitely can for combat challenges, and I believe you can do it in non-story sections after completing the game once as well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

What keeps loving me up about Synergy Skills is that they are on R1. In Remake I got very used to attacking out of a block, or with Cloud stance shifting in a block. Even now that I'm not trying to do that anymore it turns out that a lot of the time I hit attacks just quickly enough after blocks that it starts doing whatever skill is mapped to that combo instead of the action I wanted (and drat if it isn't always something with a long-ish animation commitment).

I feel like the system overall is... just too much, like, you've got all these characters and they all have their own basic systems and ability sets, but also they all have this whole other realtime kit that can only be used by shortcut buttons you can't control and change not only per character but based on your other party members, and don't all have consistent traits beyond broadly being offensive or defensive. And yet they seem to be essential to managing the flow of fights and some do damage good enough that I feel like a lot of the game is tougher if you don't use them. I love the idea of it but everything about it runs counter to some aspect of how it feels like it should work when you start playing and I wound up not even trying to engage with it for ages because it only ever caused problems whenever I tried. I suspect this perspective is more common than the developers intend.

Why did it have to be on R1. Do people even use the triggers in battle? I just hit X and up/down once, it's all the same to me.

Also, between Synergy Skills, Synergy Commands and Synergy Materia there is too much goddamn Synergy. I didn't need Rapid Growth, man.

I think the R1 binding is pretty sensible? Especially since counters, enhanced guards, and “attacks while guarding” comprise over half of the skills. I use L2 and R2 to attack with other characters all the time so changing that would definitely mess up my muscle memory. I think the real issue is the game doesn’t really teach you how to use them that well.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Trying to remain mostly spoiler free but I can't do open world ubisoft stuff anymore, especially with having a baby and very little time to play. Can I mostly mainline the main quest and still be able to get the most out of the story/characters, or am I going to have to become a Gwent queen's blood master who has found every point of interest on all the maps in order to get the full story experience?

Yes I've played the original and want this one to also emotionally hit home, but I can't 100% games anymore.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bland posted:

Does Reno even show up in this game? I haven't beaten the game yet but he's been missing from a couple spots now where he showed up in the original so I'm starting to wonder. I know his Japanese VA died a few years ago which might have caused them to shelve him for now.

As of chapter 12, no sighting. Most I've gotten is Rude being sad he isn't there. He's on vacation, apparently.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Trying to remain mostly spoiler free but I can't do open world ubisoft stuff anymore, especially with having a baby and very little time to play. Can I mostly mainline the main quest and still be able to get the most out of the story/characters, or am I going to have to become a Gwent queen's blood master who has found every point of interest on all the maps in order to get the full story experience?

Yes I've played the original and want this one to also emotionally hit home, but I can't 100% games anymore.

I think you'll be able to just mainline the story stuff (especially if you play on easy), but don't forget that the side quests are better this time around and offer more fun scenes with your party members. However, there are only between 5-8 side quests per zone. You don't have to do all the towers, chocobo stops (ok, do one just to pet the baby chocobo!), springs, moogle trees, etc if you don't want to. It will still take you about 40-60 hours, I'd say.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm around chapter 11 and I'd say that the only optional map collectibles I'd recommend in your case is the Protorelic quests. They have a surprising amount of great character beats for the main squad and even other supporting characters. Their associated mini games are hit and miss but there's still more variety therein than the normal overworld collectible and location scanning.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Bland posted:

Reno's japanese voice actor passed away so he's mostly sitting out Rebirth. So they're going to find a new voice actor, and give Reno an expanded role in part 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reno is in Part 3 and his voice acting was finished before his actor passed away, nothing was cut. (This was announced before the game came out and the dude shows up in trailers) They just decided to give Elena more screentime.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Btw this is probably a bit late for me to ask given I am in chapter 4 but is there a way to force aerial combat on melee characters? In remake cloud or tifa would just automatically enter air combat when you locked on and attacked a flying foe but that doesn't work as well now? Did I miss something?

For Cloud, hold attack after dodging. Tap shoots blade beams, hold launches him at them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If I remember correctly, Reno doesn't show up until later on in the OG either. Tseng, Elena and Rude are the main three for a bit. But I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I played the original (something I should remedy).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

If I remember correctly, Reno doesn't show up until later on in the OG either. Tseng, Elena and Rude are the main three for a bit. But I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I played the original (something I should remedy).

very mistaken, Reno is the first Turk you meet and shows up as part of the ensemble nearly every time afterward

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I've mostly found FF7 Remake/Rebirth goofy fun and charming so far, but I want to burn these Moogles w/ a flamethrower.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

It's the opposite.

In the original game Reno and Rude are the vast majority of your encounters with the Turks. You actually never fight Elena unless you take on an optional battle near the end of the game, and you never fight Tseng who quite literally vanishes from the story after the Temple of the Ancients due to his injuries.

Rebirth seemed to want to give Elena more focus because in the original game she's basically just kind of a joke and kidnap bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I actually had to check to see if Elena was from a mobile game or something because I forgot she existed.