Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Man mephedrone was great, what a time to be alive.

Edit : terrible snype 23 is a sacred number hail eris, all hail dischordia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lol Jeremy oval office has hosed Labour's plans by abolishing non-dom status and spending the money on tax cuts instead of the NHS.

Reeves is going to have to find a new money tree

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That used to be my dad's favourite trick.

"antidisestablishmentarianism is a very long word, spell it" (to which of course the answer is I T).

Mum's just popped round, giving her the latest Kate news off twitter. Her eyes popped out of her head when I explained "pegging" to her.

Isn't she a bit young to be hearing about that? :ohdear:

;)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What a horrible way to refer to Jeremy Corbyn!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Critical support to Cunty Jez for pulling the rug on Cunty Labs.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mum's just popped round, giving her the latest Kate news off twitter. Her eyes popped out of her head when I explained "pegging" to her.

The... uh.. what's going on with Kate?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Necrothatcher posted:

She embraced the light of Islam, like Diana before her, and has been terminated

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

https://x.com/UKLabour/status/1765353639097278687?s=20

The Glasgow Wonka Experience is officially no longer funny

I know it's beating a dead horse but of course they used loving comic sans. I almost feel bad for the font at this point.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Limmy already declared a blanket ban on all Wonka patter after Sunday.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Did he say it was surprisingly down-to-earth, and very funny?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jeremy oval office is a genius, with this extra money in my pocket I'm deffo voting tory now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hmm, might want to revisit the drawing board on this slogan https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1765368024096190948

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

sebzilla posted:

Lol Jeremy oval office has hosed Labour's plans by abolishing non-dom status and spending the money on tax cuts instead of the NHS.

Reeves is going to have to find a new money tree

I've had a couple of people say this is why Labor have no policies. Why say something when the Tories will just steal it.
It's generous, but there is probably a grain of truth there. the non-dom was the only thing Labor haven't back tracked on, and woops, there it goes.

It's also unbelievably petty.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
That argument only works if labour have policies so similar to the Tories that they're at risk of then stealing them

At which point, what's the use in being a separate party?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grey Hunter posted:

I've had a couple of people say this is why Labor have no policies. Why say something when the Tories will just steal it.
It's generous, but there is probably a grain of truth there. the non-dom was the only thing Labor haven't back tracked on, and woops, there it goes.

The thing is if the tories steal it and it's a good policy, that's good. It's only bad in a context where being in power is more important than having good policies implemented. Which I'd say is an accurate assessment of the Labour party leadership's views.

But the other part is that this isn't really the Tories stealing a policy, it's taking an untapped revenue source (non-dom taxation) and applying it to tax cuts. There's nothing to stop Labour from implementing their policy by reversing the tax cuts and using the money for what they intended. They'd do that if they felt the policy was important. But they probably won't now because actually implementing policies isn't what they want, what they want is power.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oof the t-shirt is worse https://twitter.com/keewa/status/1765378962731991241?s=20

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

Then surely it'd be really helpful to us all if they proposed a of of good policies and let the tories steal them

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Oof the t-shirt is worse

Getting a conversation going around affirmative (or better yet enthusiastic) consent isn't the worst idea, but really that needs to start with getting young people comfortable with open communication first, which means shutting down all the people wittering about inclusive sex ed in schools. Just slamming a law in place without that and when rape conviction rates are abysmal as is will be worse than useless for all the reasons on the last page about drug laws plus more.

I get the feeling that this is more 'publicity stunt' than 'good faith debate about sex and relationship education' though.

DreddyMatt posted:

That argument only works if labour have policies so similar to the Tories that they're at risk of then stealing them

At which point, what's the use in being a separate party?
Rosette colour and which group of griftersdonors get contracts.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I was thinking more like Bad Eel

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lol ^

That t shirt looks like something they'd wear during a Bottom live show

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

She's not been seen alive in public since Xmas Day.
Twitter is rife with speculation: dead, DV so bad she was hospitalized by a huge punch to the guts, they're getting divorced & she's run away....

Then there was that photo which suddenly appeared - entirely unconnected I'm sure - which some say was her in a car, but doesn't really look like her, looks like a cross between her sister Pippa & Ozzie Osbourne.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Noxville posted:

Then surely it'd be really helpful to us all if they proposed a of of good policies and let the tories steal them

Reveilled posted:

The thing is if the Tories steal it and it's a good policy, that's good. It's only bad in a context where being in power is more important than having good policies implemented. Which I'd say is an accurate assessment of the Labor party leadership's views.

I'm going to go devils advocate on this - While this would normally be true, we're 3-9 months out from a general election, so it 100% is the oppositions job to get elected by having popular policies, then once in power implement them properly and add more to them. and your opponent who is in power stealing/subverting them is a bad thing. if we were a few months after an election, then you would be 100% right.

And let's be clear, this and taxing private schools are the two good policies labor have. the Tories just stole one of them for a tax break, so if Starmer want to find money for the NHS, he will have to raise taxes - something he has repeatedly said he's against.

I should also make it clear, I'd rather not have Starmer's lot in power, but it's the ever repeating argument of whether or not to take the lesser evil. And I don't want to start that one again. This is just from a objective view - The oppositions job is to defeat the government, and you can't do that if everything you do is immediately countered or copied by the ones in power.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah they should be having policies that the Tories can't copy, like proposing actual concrete state investment and public service improvement.

(Instead under Starmer we'll get aerated concrete state investment and public services :v:)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was thinking more like Bad Eel

Pineapple meme ruined by a racist.
Ananas meme ruined by an anus.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If I was in power I'd lower taxes and increase public spending - delivering for the British public.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

erm.. so much for Starmer's Good War.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That lib dem lust for brown death, hot drat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Operation Diamond Storm 2: Enduring Peedom

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith pulling the old Trump trick of pretending blank sheets of paper are weighty documents

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Keith pulling the old Trump trick of pretending blank sheets of paper are weighty documents

To be fair, it is an accurate representation of both their ideas and how much money the Torys are going to leave them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I too have fancy leather binders for my Hustler magazines and Viz comics that I keep next to my flag and flagpole and John Lewis lamp.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Twitter is rife with speculation: dead, DV so bad she was hospitalized by a huge punch to the guts, they're getting divorced & she's run away....
Kate pegs Will,
Rumour mill tells everyone,
Will's masculinity in tatters,
Will cheats on Kate,
Rumour mill tells everyone,
Kate lusts for revenge,
[Scene missing]
Kings arse now ruined,
Wills beats Kate in a blind rage after finding out,
Kate disassembled for spare parts,
King makes 'miraculous recovery,'
Body double pegs Will,
Repeat.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
He looks less like he's closely reading and considering the information, and more like he's thinking "wait poo poo where's pages 4-7 gone, this poo poo is useless now"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gwaint posted:

He looks less like he's closely reading and considering the information, and more like he's thinking "wait poo poo where's pages 4-7 gone, this poo poo is useless now"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm going to go devils advocate on this - While this would normally be true, we're 3-9 months out from a general election, so it 100% is the oppositions job to get elected by having popular policies, then once in power implement them properly and add more to them. and your opponent who is in power stealing/subverting them is a bad thing. if we were a few months after an election, then you would be 100% right.

And let's be clear, this and taxing private schools are the two good policies labor have. the Tories just stole one of them for a tax break, so if Starmer want to find money for the NHS, he will have to raise taxes - something he has repeatedly said he's against.

I should also make it clear, I'd rather not have Starmer's lot in power, but it's the ever repeating argument of whether or not to take the lesser evil. And I don't want to start that one again. This is just from a objective view - The oppositions job is to defeat the government, and you can't do that if everything you do is immediately countered or copied by the ones in power.

If the opposition's job 3-9 months out from the election is to get elected by having popular policies, how do they do that without having policies?

But as it happens I disagree that the job of the opposition is to "get elected by having popular policies". I think that is a completely morally bankrupt attitude to democracy. The job of all political parties, government or opposition, is to have policies they think are good, not policies they think are popular. The election is the way we decide which set of policies are in aggregate, the most popular. A party can certainly try to convince voters to their side and in so doing make their policies popular, but a party whose platform is "popular policies" has no claim to being the lesser evil because they're devoid of any morality at all.

And ultimately, while I do agree that ending non-dom status and taxing private schools are good policies, they are fundamentally tax raising policies if not balanced out with tax cuts. If Starmer is against raising taxes, maybe he should consider abandoning that bad policy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Kate pegs Will,

Stop you right there - the rumours are that William cheated on Kate because she refused to peg him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:staredog:

I'm assuming someone who's very online and talking about gender politics and is literally named "Dr. Proudman" has been transvestigated to hell and back .

Her profiler is pretty powerful tho

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NHS GP trip report:

So, for the past month I've had a 'pad' of liquid on one of my knees size of my hand. An MRI abroad in 2017 mentioned an ancient crack that had arthritis crystals (?) growing in it amongst other things. It's been really painful and making exercise difficult (depending on exactly what is going on, exercise could make it a lot worse if it is bone-on-bone action). So went to the GP today. She had a look. She thinks it's soft tissue related and that accords with other things in the MRI scan report from 7 years ago. She's no longer allowed to book MRI scans, they have to be booked by a consultant.

So she said I can book an xray myself at the nearest NHS xray place but she doesn't think an xray is going to show the problem she thinks it is.

So she's also putting me on the waiting list for consultant (18 months - 2 years) and they can arrange me an MRI scan (another 6 month - year wait). So looks like 3 YEARS before a somewhat painful and limiting problem can be looked at properly.

Or, I could spend around £400 + transport costs to go private and get it done within a week or two to fit round my commitments.

This is happening all over. Quality of life stuff that would make peoples' lives that much better is going to be a toss up between waiting for the NHS misery for 3 years or 'have credit card will travel' & get it at least properly inspected within a month (which is more to do with my commitments & transport arrangements than).

Having just shelled out £171 for emergency private dentistry I hadn't planned for, I guess I will now spend another say £450 on private diagnostics because hobbling around in pain for 3 years is just not on for me - I suffer from a lot of stiffness generally and must walk or swim otherwise I get terrible cramping in all my muscles. That is a whole month's pay gone in a puff of smoke.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

An MRI abroad in 2017 mentioned an ancient crack that had crystals growing in it

condolences on your rpg villain origin story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni by the time the appointment rolls round: