Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

galagazombie posted:

In hindsight it’s really weird that O’Briens hallucination in the time jail episode convinced him not to commit suicide. “Listen to the voices in your head, they’re trying to help you. In fact they’ll go away if you follow their advice” sure is an odd moral to end an episode on.

...? The whole episode is him not willing to address he went through something traumatic and needs help. The hallucination was just a reflection of that state of mind.

It's his mind trying to tell him to be honest and seek help. It's not complicated or even weird.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the two types of posters: those with a mind palace; and, those with a mind prison

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

That mind prison tech could have amazing recreational uses. Live a year's worth of vacation every weekend, why not? Get a college education in an afternoon.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
now that sounds like hell

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

get therapy for sixteen years in your lunch break barclay

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I guess I get why the Federation allowed the mind prison since they're not gonna go to war over it but they could have at least demanded for it not to be straight up hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zesty posted:

...? The whole episode is him not willing to address he went through something traumatic and needs help. The hallucination was just a reflection of that state of mind.

It's his mind trying to tell him to be honest and seek help. It's not complicated or even weird.

Now if you want an actual show's episode telling you the voices and images in your head are cool and good and the medicines are bad for you, boy do I have an episode of Doctor Who for you with an incredibly inappropriate moral directed at children. :stonklol:

(It's In the Forest of the Night)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

First of May posted:

That mind prison tech could have amazing recreational uses. Live a year's worth of vacation every weekend, why not? Get a college education in an afternoon.

I worked 30 years for Space Amazon and all I got was this Alexa implant and barcode

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Forget starfleet academy, I'm gonna spend 20 years this afternoon climbing the ranks of mindfleet and challenge all the exams.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Powered Descent posted:

For comparison, Garrett Wang in 2017, 22 years after Voyager season 1:

how far did harry kim go into the future in that episode where they hosed up the get-home-macguffin and embedded voyager in ice, i need to make a quick comparison

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

15 years

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Computer, use only sexy older Harry Kim in future simulations

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah he came off way better in real life.

To be fair when they're doing old age makeup they give you badly styled silver hair to make you look old and in real life we can die that poo poo.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

First of May posted:

If I could share the hallucination with my wife and you put me in a year long vacation hallucination I definitely wouldn’t come out of it being like “Alright, let’s get back to work!” I’d be like “Put us back in! Put all of us in! This is the ultimate goal our species has unknowingly struggled for centuries to achieve! Invent robots to maintain the hallucination machine and put us all in!”

Then when you didn't, because it is a stupid and self destructive request after all, I’d probably start a militant cult focused around making the Federation do it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

I guess I get why the Federation allowed the mind prison since they're not gonna go to war over it but they could have at least demanded for it not to be straight up hell.

They didnt "allow" poo poo. By the time the crew got to him it was basically over

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

TNG makes it explicit that humans (on Earth, at least) have evolved beyond drugs to the point that they find addiction incomprehensible and yet everyone is still fiending for Romulan ale and drinking all kinds of space scotch. They really need a space AA. Same as the current AA except you need to get your Higher Power a starship. If you ask "Why" they just tell you to "stop the stinkin thinkin and take it one day at a time and have an open mind." And they're constantly eating space doughnuts and smoking space cigarettes.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

okay that's a swing and a miss on the same level as old julian bashir who is still EXTREMELY attractive

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

MikeJF posted:

in real life we can die

:hmmyes:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

TNG makes it explicit that humans (on Earth, at least) have evolved beyond drugs to the point that they find addiction incomprehensible and yet everyone is still fiending for Romulan ale and drinking all kinds of space scotch.

Nah, they've just figured out cooler drugs that aren't physiologically addictive.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

TNG makes it explicit that humans (on Earth, at least) have evolved beyond drugs to the point that they find addiction incomprehensible and yet everyone is still fiending for Romulan ale and drinking all kinds of space scotch. They really need a space AA. Same as the current AA except you need to get your Higher Power a starship. If you ask "Why" they just tell you to "stop the stinkin thinkin and take it one day at a time and have an open mind." And they're constantly eating space doughnuts and smoking space cigarettes.

Pike drinks hard liquor pretty much every episode. Always got the classy decanter bottle out on the table.

naem
May 29, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

If I could share the hallucination with my wife and you put me in a year long vacation hallucination I definitely wouldn’t come out of it being like “Alright, let’s get back to work!” I’d be like “Put us back in! Put all of us in! This is the ultimate goal our species has unknowingly struggled for centuries to achieve! Invent robots to maintain the hallucination machine and put us all in!”

Then when you didn't, because it is a stupid and self destructive request after all, I’d probably start a militant cult focused around making the Federation do it.

that’s pretty much what the nexus is in generations

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

ALTHOUGH! An actual useful application of the technology, especially if you can share the experience with others, is tricky negotiations\diplomatic engagements. If a day lasts a year, then I think a second would net you something like 23 minutes to deliberate your next move? You and your whole team could drop in and back out again without anyone noticing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I doubt it actually runs 20 years of full-speed thoughts, it just interacts with you enough to roughly simulate how you'd react and dumps 20 years of memories and trauma into your head that're close enough for you to believe they're your own. So it's not gonna give you high-speed strategy thinking or stuff.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I doubt it actually runs 20 years of full-speed thoughts, it just interacts with you enough to roughly simulate how you'd react and dumps 20 years of memories and trauma into your head that're close enough for you to believe they're your own. So it's not gonna give you high-speed strategy thinking or stuff.

Dangit. This was going to be the foundation of a daydream about appearing more competent at work.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

What if we just tinker with it, you know, tighten up the program....

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

MikeJF posted:

Nah, they've just figured out cooler drugs that aren't physiologically addictive.

The natural "high" you get from bettering yourself and the rest of humanity through a philosophy of self-enhancement

ie: the feeling of being a smug bastard

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd try Oomox no lie

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
They just take a hypospray that instantly cures all addictions whenever they need to. Unfortunately, the hypospray is insanely addictive.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

They just take a hypospray that instantly cures all addictions whenever they need to. Unfortunately, the hypospray is insanely addictive.

*scratches neck in the Maquis style

Y'all got some of that hypospray?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

They had T'Pol busting out a needle and a spoon for the trellium or smoking it out of a crack pipe or whatever lol. Can't find the scene!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Can’t remember which thread it was but there was some discussion on how the bridge sets were a pain in the rear end to film on because of how the glossy screens will reflect the cameras and crew. With that in mind, this is pretty impressive because they do a pretty good job of avoiding that, even though everything is hella glossy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in tng s1, you can see the black paper they put up on the rear screens to cut the glare in some shots.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dangit. This was going to be the foundation of a daydream about appearing more competent at work.

There is absolutely no difference from your subjective experience between experiencing a 4 year college education compressed into 20 seconds, and having the memories of experiencing a 4 year college education compressed into 20 seconds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in tng s1, you can see the black paper they put up on the rear screens to cut the glare in some shots.

These days we commonly use sprays you can temporarily apply to background screens to matte them and reduce the effect.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 6, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

MikeJF posted:

These days we commonly use sprays you can temporarily apply to background screens to matte them and reduce the effect.

How do you remove the spray?

I’d have thought all the displays these days were cgi anyway

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

How do you remove the spray?

Windex.

quote:

I’d have thought all the displays these days were cgi anyway

Oh no, CGing things in when you don't need to is money, if you can get it in-set that'll be much cheaper soon enough.

For stuff like, say, the stargazer bridge on Picard:

You've got classical backlit-transparencies for the small curved stuff, LED screens built into the consoles for the flat bits like helm, and for the large curved side consoles,

fancy modern rear-projection onto curved glass.

Hell, we're at the point where even the giant background landscapes are displayed in-set with The Volume, that's how SNW does things like Engineering. (The background is 3D rendered in real time onto the screen wall and tracks the position of the camera as it moves around to accurately display perspective as it should be from the camera's point of view)

screens off:

and then displaying:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 6, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

This is awesome, thank you. I knew about The Volume but didn’t know about the real-time camera tracking perspective thing, that’s loving amazing.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I know LCARS style computer interfaces make no sense from a UI perspective but drat if they aren't super pretty like that

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

This is awesome, thank you. I knew about The Volume but didn’t know about the real-time camera tracking perspective thing, that’s loving amazing.

It's an interesting convergence of videogame technology, the virtual background is done in unreal engine, the most common engine for high end videogames, since that's designed for real time movement around an environment. A lot of the UI stuff is in unreal engine too; for example, on the shuttle there's a little 3D display showing the shuttle's orientation, that's built in unreal and controlled in real time from a video game controller, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
When I was younger I didn't really like the Lwaxana episodes but now that I'm older they are like my favorite episodes. I am not rewatching TNG , but will admit I am skipping through some episodes in Season 1.