Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DS9 = TNG > BSG > TOS > Voyager >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Enterprise (only a season and a half into this one)

If we wanna count Star Wars stuff, throw Andor up there with DS9 and throw the rest in the garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
This is blasphemy against Mando

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I agree with you but I do have many nitpicks along with what Fiz is saying. But they aren't bad enough to make me dunk the show. Black Market is probably the lowest low in the whole show with how bad it is and yeah that New Caprica jump into orbit dropping fighters as the music crescendos is the most epic sci fi scene of all time.

I love the Expanse but the sleek Roci hass got nothing on that ol' battered bastard Galactica.

Sci fi ship top 3 ranking: Galactica >>>> Roci > Enterprise

Its hard to compare them, because the Roci is a gunship and Galactica/Enterprise are more like heavy cruisers. I love the Galactica's design as a carrier. I have never really liked the aesthetics of any Enterprise really, there were always a bunch of ships that just looked better in Star Trek, even Federation ones. I also really like the Venator Class from Star Wars, a Clone Wars era ship that was basically the predecessor of the Imperial Star Destroyer.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

DS9 = TNG > BSG > TOS > Voyager >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Enterprise (only a season and a half into this one)

If we wanna count Star Wars stuff, throw Andor up there with DS9 and throw the rest in the garbage

this B5 erasure cannot stand

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Intruder posted:

This is blasphemy against Mando

Mando S1&2 are good but 3 is pretty weak

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the way they did space battle in BSG was so drat cool.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Farscape should be in the mix too, and the 90s series of Red Dwarf. Max Headroom was a really good sci fi series but I dunno if it has aged well.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

swickles posted:

Its hard to compare them, because the Roci is a gunship and Galactica/Enterprise are more like heavy cruisers. I love the Galactica's design as a carrier. I have never really liked the aesthetics of any Enterprise really, there were always a bunch of ships that just looked better in Star Trek, even Federation ones. I also really like the Venator Class from Star Wars, a Clone Wars era ship that was basically the predecessor of the Imperial Star Destroyer.

Speaking of Republic era cruisers.
Just converted this:

To this:

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 6, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Leperflesh posted:

Farscape should be in the mix too, and the 90s series of Red Dwarf. Max Headroom was a really good sci fi series but I dunno if it has aged well.

I tried to watch farscape but couldn't get past the Muppets.

I also like Firefly

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

a sexual elk posted:

Just converted this:

To this:

That owns and I'm extremely jealous I don't have space to get/display one of my own

EDIT: And for general sci-fi warship chat, I irrationally love some of the Gundam designs like the Magellan and Ra Cailum battleships, Salamis Kai cruiser, and the Gray Phantom version of the Pegasus class.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 6, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

swickles posted:

I was thinking in terms of personality and character of the ship. In terms of sheer awesomeness and scale those Star Wars ships are up there though. Straight loony tunes, but badass.

a neat cape posted:

I tried to watch farscape but couldn't get past the Muppets.

I also like Firefly

I also liked it. Though it didn't leave me wanting more.

a sexual elk posted:

Just converted this:

To this:

Very cool!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

harperdc posted:

There are some options over here that are frozen - just need to dump the bag on a frying pan and cook. Is it that easy, or more similar to like ramen packets?

Yep that's exactly what it is. Just heat and eat.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Mando S1&2 are good but 3 is pretty weak

Yes but that's hardly throw in the garbageable

Plus season 3 of Mando is better than Voyager :colbert:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Voyager is good

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

3 DONG HORSE posted:

DS9 is so loving good I am ashamed I forgot about it. I have dishonored my family.

e: reminding myself I need to finish the first Stargate series. There's something wonderfully American about handing out P90s to native aliens that I just love.

I looked down on sg-1 back in the 90s and was a bab5/farscape/bsg guy, but got into stargate a few years back and realized just how wonderful it is to have mostly standalone episodes with callbacks every now and then. TV perfection for quite a lot of the run.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 6, 2024

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

General Dog posted:

I stretched the truth, "Judge" is just her title and not her first name. Rated 2 pinnochios
Aww, I was hoping for someone wanting to go on adventures with Axel Foley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL-A8GWyYAA

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I don't get to watch a lot of space shows but I really liked Raised by Wolves, until the 2nd season where things went a little overboard, then it ends! My prob with sci-fi shows is excessive magical bullshit where somebody's got mortal wound , but wait! [pulls out flashlight with magical beam of healing]. I'd say the Expanse i is my fav, even if it took a few episodes to get into it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I gotta watch The Expanse one of these days

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Just saw the smallest funeral procession. A cop, hearse, and one car.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

3 DONG HORSE posted:

DS9 is so loving good I am ashamed I forgot about it. I have dishonored my family.

Gowron stares down at you from Sto'Vo'Kor.

DS9, B5, BSG, SG1 - all peak sci fi and I really need to do a run through of them all again.

Infectious Disease Chat: I'm sitting in an ER waiting on a rabies vaccine due to a stupid little dog biting me on a call. Could probably have done without, but was unable to get vaccine records, dogs are allowed to run free in a rural area, and workers comp is paying, better safe than sorry.

Edit: Pharmacy just came down and said "can we maybe not do the shots?" Sorry folks, I have no idea who this dog belongs to!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

DS9, B5, BSG, SG1 - all peak sci fi and I really need to do a run through of them all again.

Infectious Disease Chat: I'm sitting in an ER waiting on a rabies vaccine due to a stupid little dog biting me on a call. Could probably have done without, but was unable to get vaccine records, dogs are allowed to run free in a rural area, and workers comp is paying, better safe than sorry.

Rabies vaccine is pretty chill these days compared to what it used to be.

It used to be like six months of shots in the abdomen if you had exposure.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Yeah, I was nervous about that. Sounds like it's just two shots today in my leg and deltoid, then three more over the next two weeks.

Glad I'm not getting stabbed in the gut. What a weird rear end route...

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I'm involved with Landcare etc and went to a talk about parasites - bee mites (they win, can't be stopped), cat borne stuff and poo poo like that, and heard about this - https://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/australian-woman-found-with-python-parasite-in-her-brain

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fat Jesus posted:

I'm involved with Landcare etc and went to a talk about parasites - bee mites (they win, can't be stopped), cat borne stuff and poo poo like that, and heard about this - https://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/australian-woman-found-with-python-parasite-in-her-brain

Well that’s loving horrifying, thanks

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Lower Decks is slept on and I actually really like Discovery

Also BSG should always be watched in its original presentation (wild rear end cliffhanger with literally no idea when the next season will be)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bsg would do that mid season lol

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Fat Jesus posted:

Of course it's Australia.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Did they walk into a bar? :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

God created the Heavens, he created the earth! He created all the Hulkamaniacs! Then, he created 24cm's of python parasites, brother!”

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Lower Decks is slept on and I actually really like Discovery

Also BSG should always be watched in its original presentation (wild rear end cliffhanger with literally no idea when the next season will be)

Prodigy is Actually Slept On.

It's my favorite first season of any Trek show

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

wandler20 posted:

Maybe its a clown funeral and their are actually 50 something people in the car.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My serious guess is military. They have that thing where they'll always make sure fellow soldiers are there when you pass.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Prodigy is Actually Slept On.

It's my favorite first season of any Trek show

prodigy S1 reminds me a bit of andor, in that if it wasn't for the presence of the janeway hologram (or in andor's case, some set dressing) it wouldn't have to be a star trek show at all. S2 pulls in some more familiar trek characters but is still really not very star trekky.

That's not a bad thing, at all, and actually finding new avenues to tell stories in this setting that aren't just "the crew of a space ship goes places" is exactly what they should be doing with these sci fi settings. Same reason Andor, Rogue One, and Mando mostly not being about Jedi is a big plus in their favor.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zceSigCGWSQ

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I appreciate these sorts of trailers for movies I'm not going to watch, because they are basically the entire film condensed into the key 2.5 minutes worth watching

that said, if anyone actually intends to watch this thing, maybe skip the super long trailer that tells you exactly how it will go and all the important things the characters will say

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

a sexual elk posted:

Just converted this:

To this:

Nice

I really want the Venator to go with my Imperial Star Destroyer but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FizFashizzle posted:

There wasn’t even a reason to do it! They were in the clear! Fat Lee was just like “nah I don’t want another battlestar that even had a factory to build more fighters” and waddled off the bridge.

That’s a good point!

saintonan posted:

this B5 erasure cannot stand

Hah, was coming to post this too.

Also, I can’t believe the lack of Stargate fans in this thread.

“During my backswing?!?!”

“It’s a ‘blast door’”

Etc. etc.

Edit:

Wait, Stargate got some love, and pretty much the same list for me:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Edit: Pharmacy just came down and said "can we maybe not do the shots?" Sorry folks, I have no idea who this dog belongs to!

Glad you’re otherwise ok though!

Edit: 2

Ok, got fully caught up and yeah, actually a fair amount of Stargate love. SG-1 was the best, but Atlantis was pretty decent too, at least for the Shepherd-McKay bromance with a little Zelenka thrown in for good measure.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 6, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

prodigy S1 reminds me a bit of andor, in that if it wasn't for the presence of the janeway hologram (or in andor's case, some set dressing) it wouldn't have to be a star trek show at all. S2 pulls in some more familiar trek characters but is still really not very star trekky.

That's not a bad thing, at all, and actually finding new avenues to tell stories in this setting that aren't just "the crew of a space ship goes places" is exactly what they should be doing with these sci fi settings. Same reason Andor, Rogue One, and Mando mostly not being about Jedi is a big plus in their favor.

I think Prodigy uses Janeway better than Voyager did.

Also Robert Picardo is gonna be in the next season

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Nice

I really want the Venator to go with my Imperial Star Destroyer but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet

I grabbed the midi scale Ali knock off for $20, it’s really not bad at all

Prolly get the knockoff midi scale Executor next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Now we’re talking

https://x.com/jbendery/status/1765494719772033443?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA