Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SHISHKABOB posted:

Raxx made a pretty good guide that I followed to make a semi lovely filter of my own. It was only like 6 rules, one of which was hide everything and the last was show all uniques.

His main emphasis was on finding exalted items with t6 or 7 affixes, with TWO exalted affixes, and then random regular items with important affixes to your build that you just want to shatter and stockpile.

He also emphasized how you want to pick up items with other class skills on them, because otherwise when it comes time to try and craft off a bad affix from an otherwise perfect legendary-worthy exalted, you will be stuck.

Also decent idols.

When I turn off my loot filter there sure is a lot of poo poo on the ground lol.

I haven't had this issue except for one rogue skill that I didn't have enough runes/glyphs/whatever they are to increase stats on it. But it's easy enough to add a new rule at the top that just says "shows items with that affix" then shatter 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

I haven't had this issue except for one rogue skill that I didn't have enough runes/glyphs/whatever they are to increase stats on it. But it's easy enough to add a new rule at the top that just says "shows items with that affix" then shatter 'em.

There are some skill affixes where I've gotten to level 100 and seen like 3 shards. There's probably still some skill for my own class that I haven't seen at all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Reoxygenation posted:

Yeah this is the one complaint I have about the game....

Especially since factions are locked near the end of the (current) campaign.

Only for your first character. Once you have unlocked factions on your first guy, every other character can talk to the faction guys to make a choice in the very first town at level 3 or 4.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

Oh sure it's probably not ever gonna happen for me either since I don't play the game that hardcore. But it's also nice for when you play alts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I found a 15 Weave belt that started with Health % and Lightning Resist, then waisted its last 4 rolls on Minion Health. So the game is officially bad. But then I found the Elemental Nova hat, so the game was good again.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Reoxygenation posted:

Yeah this is the one complaint I have about the game, the story is whatever I don't care for it but a lot of it is gated behind later stuff (especially idol slots) and man I just don't care about redoing the story that many times even if there's shortcuts. Even with the shortcuts it's all too long. Especially since factions are locked near the end of the (current) campaign. I've also noticed that a lot of maps just exist to exist to make the story longer and while they aren't visually unpleasing a lot of it just feels like padding to be padding. Especially since the game does not currently use all that real estate like Diablo 3 does with its bounties and bosses and whatever else.

The support for alts feels a little half-assed and disjointed to me. Every character has to play up until you make your sub-class choice, which is the most boring part of the game. You can do the dungeon skips and get high enough to where you can just grind monoliths for levels, however, doing that means you gotta eventually go back and get idols and passive points. An easy solution to me would just make killing a monolith boss award a passive point and idol slot until you max it out. You should also get the ability to teleport to the observatory upon joining CoF and not have to progress the story to the last act.

One other thing I really hate in this game is the lack of a custom chat channel like we have with 5555 in POE to get away from all the terrible pubbie jokes that fills chat. I really feel like I am playing a single player game since I have chat muted.

Edit: The nice thing is all my complaints about this game are pretty easily addressed.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

SHISHKABOB posted:

He also emphasized how you want to pick up items with other class skills on them, because otherwise when it comes time to try and craft off a bad affix from an otherwise perfect legendary-worthy exalted, you will be stuck.

Could somebody explain this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nerox posted:

The support for alts feels a little half-assed and disjointed to me. Every character has to play up until you make your sub-class choice, which is the most boring part of the game. You can do the dungeon skips and get high enough to where you can just grind monoliths for levels, however, doing that means you gotta eventually go back and get idols and passive points. An easy solution to me would just make killing a monolith boss award a passive point and idol slot until you max it out. You should also get the ability to teleport to the observatory upon joining CoF and not have to progress the story to the last act.

One other thing I really hate in this game is the lack of a custom chat channel like we have with 5555 in POE to get away from all the terrible pubbie jokes that fills chat. I really feel like I am playing a single player game since I have chat muted.

Edit: The nice thing is all my complaints about this game are pretty easily addressed.

There was a post to that effect on the subreddit and one of the EHG devs replied that they are aware of it and are working on ways to make the game more alt friendly.

Different post but another dev said to expect a big bug fix patch some time this week.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

marshalljim posted:

Glyphs of chaos (which changes the type of the mod) and glyphs of despair (which seal the mod, getting it out of the way and ideally providing a marginal benefit) both require you to actually have a shard of the original affix to upgrade. They're both less dangerous than using runes of removal

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

marshalljim posted:

You can't use runes to get rid of an affix or change it into something else etc if you don't have enough shards to enhance it normally. So if you have a peice which would be great, but it has a skill for a different class on it...

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

marshalljim posted:

You can reroll one specific affix off an item, leaving all the others alone, with a Glyph of Chaos. However, you need to have a shard for that affix to do this, so there's a reason to collect even shards you don't plan to use, in order to get rid of unwanted affixes on otherwise good items.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Oh I get it now. The wording before was a little ambiguous.

"He also emphasized how you want to pick up items with other class skills on them, because otherwise when it comes time to try and craft off a bad affix from an otherwise perfect legendary-worthy exalted, you will be stuck."

You want to pick up the other class items to shatter for shards. Not that you want to favor picking up the other class items because there is some weird benefit to rerolling those to get the affixes you want.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Who out there is carefully picking through the class correct shards instead of mindlessly hoovering them up like any self-respecting ARPG player.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rolled a falconer and I'm actually paying attention to the story for the first time. Honestly those cutscenes add a lot of context but it is funny that I never realized that the Giant Elk and Fire Bird were supposed to be gods. (And the firebird is the main bad guy). Also that Eterra is the name of a dead goddess and not the planet.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Who out there is carefully picking through the class correct shards instead of mindlessly hoovering them up like any self-respecting ARPG player.

I changed my filter to show items with any class specific affixes so I could shatter them. The rarity of some of the skill affixes is wild.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Thanks, everybody. Haven't done much crafting beyond the basics, and that class skill thing had me mystified.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

zoux posted:

Rolled a falconer and I'm actually paying attention to the story for the first time. Honestly those cutscenes add a lot of context but it is funny that I never realized that the Giant Elk and Fire Bird were supposed to be gods. (And the firebird is the main bad guy). Also that Eterra is the name of a dead goddess and not the planet.

I think Eterra is both, the planet and the goddess of the planet, possibly it's creator?

Just checking to see if I missed anything, but the story just kind of ends right? We never get the lance all powered up, never kill the firebird, and never find the snake lady doing void poo poo, and never kill the Emperor?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's a story?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IDK like I said this is the first time I'm paying attention and I'm dealing with the skeleton empire, which to me seems very similar to what the Necrons did in 40k?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

A Moose posted:

I think Eterra is both, the planet and the goddess of the planet, possibly it's creator?

Just checking to see if I missed anything, but the story just kind of ends right? We never get the lance all powered up, never kill the firebird, and never find the snake lady doing void poo poo, and never kill the Emperor?

We're getting 3 more chapters at some point. We still need to kill the firebird and the emperor and do something about the void. Also the Ancient Era needs some proper presentation.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wuxi posted:

We're getting 3 more chapters at some point. We still need to kill the firebird and the emperor and do something about the void. Also the Ancient Era needs some proper presentation.
Yeah, all we do in it is fight dinosaurs, but you can find clearly artificial floating crystal things around in it. Somebody made those, but who and for what? Iunno, go shank a really big dinosaur and then leave because there's nothing else to do here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So if our original time is -12 BE, what the hell is E

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I met a bunch of cool big creatures during the campaign but I think all of them died? :rip:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

zoux posted:

The start of a great night out :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm pretty impressed that I've absorbed absolutely nothing from the story, have no idea who we're killing or why. Who cares! Loot loot loot

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

zoux posted:

Before Empire, After Gods

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You know given that the campaign's main gimmick is switching between different eras and timelines, I'm surprised there is no dedicated Chronomancer class archetype. Maybe that's reserved for the expansion.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

zoux posted:

We used to start in I think the Imperial era. :shrug We did like, two zones, found an epoch shard, and went to the ruined era.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Mailer posted:

The most help you're going to get from someone else's filter is looking through the filter itself and learning what affixes are rare/valuable. Creating a filter is extremely easy, but knowing what you want to filter is a bit more reading. It also ties into the crafting system, since filtering for the perfect stats means you'll never see loot that could have been crafted into a really good item. The upside to that learning curve is once it's done then every drop (well, almost, since you can't filter uniques by LP) is worth your time to check.

That isn't meant to be a "git gud" commentary. I only started playing on release and had to learn this all the hard way despite other people posting the same thing. Once I sat down and understood the options I deleted all the junk I'd pulled from maxroll and made my own.

Thanks, I did find a good template to get started. It's easier to understand than setting a POE one up for sure.

Is it worth it picking random stuff up off the ground to vendor it? I like that the inventory does feel a lot larger than POE so it's not as much of a slowdown to do it.

Also is the in game DPS value when you hover over your skills a good indicator of damage? Does it take into account a lot of the different variables? Or is it kind of like POE where I needed to use Path of Building to actually figure out if certain affixes were going to upgrade me or downgrade me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Vendoring is mostly a waste of time, but picking up stuff with useful and/or rare affixed to shatter is good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really don't like the shatter system, I think it should be free or a lot less costly.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

zoux posted:

I really don't like the shatter system, I think it should be free or a lot less costly.

It stops being a problem after you hit empowered monos and get your gold boost blessing. My complaint is that it should directly cost gold instead of making you buy a rune of shattering first.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I feel like you should also be able to shatter uniques, even if you can't modify them otherwise. Maybe they can break down into some of rarer class shards.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

bamhand posted:

It stops being a problem after you hit empowered monos and get your gold boost blessing. My complaint is that it should directly cost gold instead of making you buy a rune of shattering first.

This feels ambivalent to me because if it just costs gold then there's way less of a bottleneck on shattering/acquiring shards (even now with the boost to the number of runes vendor stock, I can afford way more than are actually available) so it stops being a decision on which items are worth it and starts being Just A Thing You Do where the only limit is your tolerance for tedium - and since we're talking about ARPG players that could get messy.

Kind of the same reason vendoring isn't really worth it except maybe at the very start of the game - sure, more gold is better than less gold (this is even more true for gold than for shards since eventually you'll have enough of almost everything for any plausible crafting you actually want to do) but nobody wants there to be a reason to pick up anything you aren't going to use, and making more shatters available makes more items useful but not in a way that's actually fun for anyone.

otoh the game does probably need more gold sinks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel guilty leaving all that loot on the floor ._.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

zoux posted:

I feel guilty leaving all that loot on the floor ._.

Solution: Hide it all with the loot filter!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like you should also be able to shatter uniques, even if you can't modify them otherwise. Maybe they can break down into some of rarer class shards.

Even breaking a Unique into like 1/5th of a Rune of Ascendance would've been nice.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
In today's patch notes (https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/last-epoch-patch-1-0-2-notes/66953) EHG gave their stance on fixing bugs mid-season:

quote:

Our current stance is that we won’t issue mid-cycle changes for balance, such as with Profane Veil’s Vampiric Blood node. While the node is much stronger than intended, it’s not causing performance issues and so it will instead be changed with the next cycle patch.

Also, from a dev post on reddit:

quote:

I'd love to release these bug fixes, but we also have to consider the damage that can potentially be caused by modifying balance mid-cycle. It can cause players to feel like any build they make that finds a clever way to be effective could at any moment get nerfed, wasting all their effort. That's a really bad feeling, and we want players to be able to trust that we won't do that to them.

It's a pretty wild take, imo. In order to not make players feel bad about their builds getting nerfed (by bug fixes) they are creating an environment where you get to choose between 40k eHP with max investment on a 2h Void Knight or millions of eHP with mild investment on a Profane Veil abusing Warlock. Like they think somehow that doesn't feel bad for the Void Knight player.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

gnoma posted:

The loot filter system is setup so it's very easy to make adjustments and tweak stuff on the fly. It definitely wasn't designed to force you into copying other people's settings. If you only want to play like a week at the start of cycle a la D3 seasons then probably copying a filter from a guide is going to be more convenient but in general it's worth taking 30 minutes to sit down and figure out a system you want to use for yourself.

10 paragraphs about loot filters

This is a genuinely helpful post thank you!
but also lol at the gamifying of loot filters, copying an existing one seems like a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gnoma posted:

In today's patch notes (https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/last-epoch-patch-1-0-2-notes/66953) EHG gave their stance on fixing bugs mid-season:

Also, from a dev post on reddit:

It's a pretty wild take, imo. In order to not make players feel bad about their builds getting nerfed (by bug fixes) they are creating an environment where you get to choose between 40k eHP with max investment on a 2h Void Knight or millions of eHP with mild investment on a Profane Veil abusing Warlock. Like they think somehow that doesn't feel bad for the Void Knight player.

Yeah but D4 basically committed suicide when it brutally nerfed a bunch of bugged out builds with their first big patch. The Void Knight player is likely to roll a warlock if they feel that bad about it.