Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing to add is there is a mission modifier that adds earthquake tremors that stun every player and bug, except the shield backpack completely ignores it, making it even better to have on.

i simulate this with delirium tremens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

raverrn posted:

Already in with this patch. The Punisher and Slugger now pick up 30/60 rounds per box.
30/60 is... still half ammo, as opposed to every other primary which gets filled to max on resupply (except the knight which only gets 5 of its 7 mags per pack)

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Insert name here posted:

30/60 is... still half ammo, as opposed to every other primary which gets filled to max on resupply (except the knight which only gets 5 of its 7 mags per pack)

30 from little ammo packs you find
60 from resupply (60 is the max it holds)

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
hard difficulties aren't super hard even with non-meta kit, but it involves too much running away from fights, imo, which is not as fun as killing things

buffs makes killing more fun and viable so would probably be a good thing

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

sounds like my recent preferred loadout of GL+supply pack still fucks. I bring orbital railcannon and/or rocket pods for armor. just wish rocket pods were a bit more accurate

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

hard difficulties aren't super hard even with non-meta kit, but it involves too much running away from fights, imo, which is not as fun as killing things

This is where I'm at and why I'm not a fan of this patch but apparently that makes me a crybaby that needs to gitgud or whatever.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Who uses stratagems for killing chargers though? they move too fast and unpredictably and sometimes they just decide to climb up a mountain instead of slamming their head into it.

Orbital rail is the only thing that is reliable I've seen besides a 500kg or stealth opener or autocannon sentry far away.

Railcannon is a kill and rocket pods are a stagger and major damage. In general blowing a railcannon shot on them can feel like a waste, but depending on circumstance I will use it to cull the herd if its obvious things might spiral. an instant "one of them is gone" button is very useful, especially if i can count on my team to have 500kg ready for a bile titan. will just huck it at the first one i see if i know we are going to fight through a breach because its on a point or whatever.

plus the railcannon is just so satisfying to use. watching the laser acquire its target and then fuckin annihilate it owns every time. Can also huck it over hills/buildings and murder tanks and whatever while not putting yourself at risk, so its great for removing but threats in outposts or hives.

this sums up my views. Its good to nerf wildly out of scope things like the railgun/shield, breaker meta, but other things should get buffed too, and id much rather have them always overtuning things and walking it back instead of undertuning them

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

boz posted:

30 from little ammo packs you find
60 from resupply (60 is the max it holds)
Ah okay; I was referring to resupply packs specifically so the reference to on-field ammo boxes threw me off, and someone earlier in the thread said they were getting 30 shots per resupply so I thought it still wasn't fixed

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

boz posted:

You should see the official discord.

I'd prefer not to, I know it's full of the lowest common denominator players whining about... pretty much everything instead of actually playing the game.

I mean, I thought about making it some sort of witty 'choose your poison' with "the players whining about [the devs]/[things being balanced]/[making high difficulties too hard]", but players pretty much whine about everything for no good reason other than inherently hating change for the sake of hating change.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

back to jetpack/flamethrower now that it's been buffed. been having a lot of fun with arc thrower too, being able to 3-shot all of the mid-sized robots and the scout walker has been super useful

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to spend my medals to try and finish these bonds off quickly or if I want to save for the new ones next week

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 6, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

raverrn posted:

Things I've noticed:

Slugger up to 60 rnds.
Slugger & Punisher 30 rnds per environmental ammo box & 60 per supply calldown. (up from 12/24!)
(No one use the Slugger I don't want them to nerf it. It's so loving good.)
Spear picks up 1 missile per environmental ammo box (used to be 0!!!).
End screen sped up considerably.

If that applies to other Backpack Ammo weapons like the Autocannon and RR as well then that is a pretty good stealth buff for them

Nuebot posted:

It will never not be insane to me how chargers take so much effort to take down and come at you in swarms of like five once you reach difficulty six or so. In most cases you don't want to shoot the big green weakpoint looking thing because that takes reduced damage from most sources, instead you want to blow a leg apart and then switch to your primary and shoot the soft vulnerable leg now. Meanwhile, when dealing with automatons, you have hulks. You shoot it in the back or the face, that's it. It takes like two autocannon shots to down one and they don't even have any of that blowing off a leg to actually hurt them horseshit, nor do they come at you in as many sheer numbers.

Agreed, even if hitboxes on some of the Automaton enemies(especially Berserkers) really feel like they need fixing

Insert name here posted:

Having to bring dedicated AT weaponry to deal with armoured targets has been a core conceit since Helldivers 1 lol. My own take on this is that I think the dedicated AT weapons should be buffed to one-shot a charger to the face like the first game, because I personally find the method of "leg shot -> primary weapon DPS" to be very unsatisfying when instead I could be blasting heads off with HEAT rounds.

Agreed, or at the very least along side the big armor hole* it should also take enough health damage that a second hit with a big gun will guarantee a kill

*which annoyingly hitting a Charger with something anti-armor in nature only seems to actually work like maybe half the time, lord knows how many times I've seen a Charger get hit with multiple EAT's or a direct hit with a Stratagem and not taken any armor damage

Elendil004 posted:

For the cooldown, only carrying 1 at a time, etc. the EAT really should oneshot anything it hits directly.

Agreed, well maybe not for the absolute highest tier enemies but definitely for Chargers

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Squashing Machine posted:

Nerfs would be fine if Chargers didn’t exist. They’re the biggest outlier in terms of being a big bag of HP, even in their rear end, while having a high kill potential and sometimes spawning in packs of 3 or 4. They’re miserable to fight

I like fighting chargers, though. Perhaps because I play with EATs as standard kit, and EAT wrangling chargers is actually one of the most enjoyable things to do in the game. (once there's more than 3 chargers admittedly it starts becoming less fun unless I have teammates doing the same thing, and then it gets MORE fun)

I want more enemies that are fun to fight like the Chargers are, I don't want them nerfed such that anyone with any kit can just kill them the same way they kill everything else, that would be lame. And if you want boring charger fights you can bring a flamethrower now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

shooting the charger front legs to kill it is weird, yeah. it's too... gamey? It legit feels like it takes longer to kill it when shooting at it's gigantic exposed guts when you open it up from the side.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 6, 2024

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The flamethrower really fucks up Chargers now.

Honestly it feels great to use once you learn the range and how to not cook teammates.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

they buffed more weapons than they nerfed

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

drrockso20 posted:

If that applies to other Backpack Ammo weapons like the Autocannon and RR as well then that is a pretty good stealth buff for them

Ground pickups already restored ammo for those weapons. The Spear was the exception.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

chargers should damage their armor when you make them run into walls/each other

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Spuckuk posted:

The flamethrower really fucks up Chargers now

Hot enough for ya???

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Worf posted:

they buffed more weapons than they nerfed

yes, but as far as primaries are concerned they buffed weapons of the exact same type that they nerfed, which in the end means you are using a slightly different shotgun instead of it making DMRs, ARs, or the scythe or scorcher more appealing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

shooting the charger front legs to kill it is weird, yeah. it's too... gamey? It legit feels like it takes longer to kill it than shooting at it's gigantic exposed guts when you open it up from the side.

I tried this last night and got the same feeling. Stripped side armor felt slower to kill than stripped leg.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm wondering if I should start bringing the explosive Liberator for bug missions.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I want a sword

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Russian Remoulade posted:

It's tricky to balance; on one hand, the devs seem pretty up front about this being an imperial guard simulator where you're all dealing with threats you can barely contend with and need to work together to survive. On the other hand, it feels kinda bad when the bug war game wants me to spend a lot of time fleeing from bugs.

Very strange how trying to hold a point against a near-unlimited horde almost always ends with everyone dying horribly unless that's actually the objective.

Speaking of objectives, it's pretty weird how there are a bunch of objectives on maps that give you XP and Requisition when you complete them, yet there are no XP, Requisition, or Samples given to you based on kill count.

If you think about it, it's almost like the game is actually about completing objectives despite going up against overwhelming odds rather than just mindlessly killing a bunch of bugs/bots. Game might even sell this point pretty hard with rather minimal XP/Req bonuses based on the number of Divers that successfully extract, with even a single sub-objective yielding just as much (if not more) XP/Req than a full team of 4 extracting.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

I want a sword

yes, hell yes

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

boz posted:

You should see the official discord.

Ya no thanks.

GlyphGryph posted:

I like fighting chargers, though. Perhaps because I play with EATs as standard kit, and EAT wrangling chargers is actually one of the most enjoyable things to do in the game. (once there's more than 3 chargers admittedly it starts becoming less fun unless I have teammates doing the same thing, and then it gets MORE fun)

I think one of the issues is, too many solo players just like doing no teamwork, taking rail gun and destroying everything by themselves. Yes if 3 chargers are chasing 1 person you hosed up massively and will pay for it. Usually even on Helldive diff if there is loads of chargers there is a huge mob surrounding an objective and you can bomb the poo poo out of the area to get chargers weakened.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also, I think having "flesh armor" like the charger butts do, that take damage but not full damage and don't deflect, is actually nice. It's a fallback option for when you can't deal with them properly, while still making it rewarding to deal with them properly. And it fits the feel, too, I think, to have big fleshy bits without vital parts in them that let you bleed enemies enemy outs if you put enough rounds into them.

I do think it would be nice if chargers had weak, often obfuscated and hard to hit joints. Just because I want to tear off charger legs and have them live but drag themselves after me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bland posted:

This is where I'm at and why I'm not a fan of this patch but apparently that makes me a crybaby that needs to gitgud or whatever.

No need to git gud, just suck it up and keep firing.

But otherwise, yeah.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yes, but as far as primaries are concerned they buffed weapons of the exact same type that they nerfed, which in the end means you are using a slightly different shotgun instead of it making DMRs, ARs, or the scythe or scorcher more appealing.

Isn't this what you'd expect from a group doing balance patches but not having finished everything yet? That you'd have certain categories where they've gone through them, and ones where they haven't?

It doesn't sound like they're stopping here, it just sounds like they started with the support weapons and shotguns.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't this what you'd expect from a group doing balance patches but not having finished everything yet? That you'd have certain categories where they've gone through them, and ones where they haven't?

It doesn't sound like they're stopping here, it just sounds like they started with the support weapons and shotguns.

they have made posts saying they think the other guns are good and where they should be, which is odd.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have faith that they'll buff the senator (so that it does the flippy spinny draw more often)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I don’t get the charger problems most people have. You can damage the frontal leg joints with any primary weapon ( BREAKER SPRAY AND PRAY WORKS NOW BABY ) You don’t need fancy rail guns for that

Retro42 posted:

Swap out gatling barrage for Airburst and strafing run for cluster. Both are MUCH better for soft target mass destruction.

Edit: Strafing run has a specific use case of danger-close air support while you run away. Orbital Barrage? Still haven't found a time I want it over something else tbh.

Honest question, Why would you use strategems that can’t hurt heavy targets or destroy buildings/factories/nests?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Sounds like all the people upset are the people that run solo away from their team and try to solo everything with a railgun and shield pack.

This is a fantastic balance patch.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

boz posted:

Adding to this

4. After your initial charge, follow up shots don't have to fully charge to fire. (If you stop firing you'll have to fully charge it again to repeat this effect)
Can you explain how this actually works? Arc Thrower is by definition a gun you have to hold down and then release the fire button, so you "stop firing" every time you fire, technically speaking.

Do you mean if you leave too big a gap between the first full charge and subsequent mini (~0.8 sec?) charges then it resets the damage done or something?

This info seems to be completely opaque, it's not remotely clear that this is even a real thing and not an old wifes tale that has just been repeated enough times that people believe it. Unlike the Railgun there's no indication whatsoever of the power of any shot you take.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I love the default loadout so much, the Liberator is just plain good all-around. I do like the Redeemer a lot, although though the Peacemaker is pro semi-auto

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they have made posts saying they think the other guns are good and where they should be, which is odd.

some of it I get, since each gun has way more stats than what is displayed on-screen and some of them do more damage than you'd think in specific situations (like the burst-fire med-pen gun that I forget the name of, it shreds when hitting weak points), but I can't imagine anyone's actually happy with the Scythe. Oh sick if I'm careful I have infinite ammo so I can continue to not kill anything, forever

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Lord Packinham posted:

Sounds like all the people upset are the people that run solo away from their team and try to solo everything with a railgun and shield pack.

This is a fantastic balance patch.

Look man it's all about me, the gamer, playing this game I bought, ok

Other people just aren't instrumental to my experience or my success at the end of the day, they really need to cater to my playstyle

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Very strange how trying to hold a point against a near-unlimited horde almost always ends with everyone dying horribly unless that's actually the objective.

Speaking of objectives, it's pretty weird how there are a bunch of objectives on maps that give you XP and Requisition when you complete them, yet there are no XP, Requisition, or Samples given to you based on kill count.

If you think about it, it's almost like the game is actually about completing objectives despite going up against overwhelming odds rather than just mindlessly killing a bunch of bugs/bots. Game might even sell this point pretty hard with rather minimal XP/Req bonuses based on the number of Divers that successfully extract, with even a single sub-objective yielding just as much (if not more) XP/Req than a full team of 4 extracting.

I tried to explain this to a buddy of mine when he got the game after constantly suiciding into swarms. Game DOES NOT care how many kills you get, it only cares if you complete objectives and extract with samples. Yeah it's fun and I am also all for spending the occasional mission just getting stuck in the thick of it, but we just have to accept we probably won't win those or get any meaningful rewards for them.

Charger talk: Noticing from the dev talk about the patch and they explicitly refer to them as heavy and not medium armor. Possibly a design choice, but feels like they don't necessarily convey the severity of how beefy they are visually as much as some of us expect. EATs/etc can reliably kill medium armor(commanders/spewers/etc) without issue, I think it's just ingrained gamer behavior that we don't see Chargers as a class above them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
:stare: Text to speech (left on not only because it is funny, but because it is useful for noticing chat comments during explosions) now applies to menu text. It is still reading off every menu setting on the screen even as I type this post, holy poo poo.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they'd have to make the jetpack single use or something to pry it out of my cold, dead hands, you can have your shield generators or your supplies or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

it think it's kinda silly to take a game like this, where poo poo often just goes off the rails and snowballs and a million other things can go wrong, and say that weapon balance is what will make it more or less fun? are we playing the same game?