Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mariko seems to get over the death of her husband pretty quickly.

Good episode otherwise. Don't really have much to comment as I haven't read the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Mariko seems to get over the death of her husband pretty quickly.

Good episode otherwise. Don't really have much to comment as I haven't read the book.

Abundantly justified in the book, for reasons already pretty implied in the show. Mariko and her husband absolutely loving hate each other and are together basically only because toranaga is withholding permission to divorce as a carrot

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 6, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
tbf he seemed like a dick

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Nybble posted:

tbf he seemed like a dick

Yeah totally. I was honestly surprised to see he was a competent and brave warrior cause from the way he was acting I was kind of getting "insecure coward" vibes in the few snippits we saw before that scene.

I also thought it was VERY suspicious (speculation on mild book spoilers I scrolled over) that we didn't see him die on screen. I was wondering if maybe we haven't seen the last of him...? That could explain the discrepancy from what seems like his pretty clear death in the books. Perhaps he'll be swapped out for another character, a la The Expanse's Drummer?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

timp posted:

Yeah totally. I was honestly surprised to see he was a competent and brave warrior cause from the way he was acting I was kind of getting "insecure coward" vibes in the few snippits we saw before that scene.

I also thought it was VERY suspicious (speculation on mild book spoilers I scrolled over) that we didn't see him die on screen. I was wondering if maybe we haven't seen the last of him...? That could explain the discrepancy from what seems like his pretty clear death in the books. Perhaps he'll be swapped out for another character, a la The Expanse's Drummer?

I think this is just someone's mis-memory of the book pinging around because he doesn't die then in the book, and IIRC he might even survive to the end

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think this is just someone's mis-memory of the book pinging around because he doesn't die then in the book, and IIRC he might even survive to the end

Ah yeah, just went back and reread the spoilers (in for a penny, in for a pound). It all makes sense now

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

I had the thought that Buntaro being a barely-social troglodyte and rear end in a top hat extraordinaire is linked to his reputation in battle. He doesn't make eye contact and, watching his scenes again, his his eyes are always scanning back and forth, never at rest. I wonder if thats how PTSD symptoms would manifest in a man in his situation?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

timp posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he survives until the death of a character is needed to advance some kind of sub-plot. He could be hauled out in front of everyone and Ishido offers to spare Buntaros life or something, only for Toranaga to not take it and Buntaro then be killed. Lot's of good reasons to keep him alive for now, only to kill him later.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Yeah I'm pretty sure that he lives through the end of the book, or at least he lives a good ways into it given a certain other plot thread that y'all can probably see coming.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Abundantly justified in the book, for reasons already pretty implied already in the show. Mariko and her husband absolutely loving hate each other and are together basically only because toranaga is withholding permission to divorce as a carrot
Yeah in the show at least I just didn't get much of an impression of him being a huge rear end in a top hat, so either it was really just hinted at, or it's also possible I got distracted and overlooked the moment :v:

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Show continues to rule. Once again a scene played out and looked exactly like I had imagined it, when Ishido is inspecting the departing party and Toranaga slips into the sedan. The mise en scene is also just generally amazing in this show. What a breath of fresh air after the train wreck that was True Detective S4.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Saganlives posted:

What a breath of fresh air after the train wreck that was True Detective S4.
Ah, a fellow refugee.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Book spoilers re: Buntaro.
It would be very odd if Buntaro died in the show. He has a relatively minor, but important, role in the book that helps develop some of the other main characters. The historical person he is based on was also an important figure, so it would be odd to kill him off and give his role to someone else - but this isn't meant to be 100% true to history so there's no reason they can't. In the book it is clear he's probably not going to escape and he prepares to kill himself, but Toranaga orders him to try and escape. The way they did it in the show makes it much more ambiguous, but I think that will make it more impactful in the visual format when we find out he's still alive, so it's probably a good change.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It also does a good job of portraying, in a show that so far doesn't have fantastical murder-heroes, that Buntaro is a fairly superlative warrior. He just shears through the opposition until they can start bringing their numbers to bear.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I watched The Fall of Ako Castle starring Sonny Chiba again lastnight. Which is ther other movie based on 47 Ronin, set 102 years after this show during Tokugawa Tsunayoshi's reign. The costumes are mental, there's so much talk of revenge and hara-kari, which is pretty much the whole theme of the movie.
A+ would recommend

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
This show rules. Might have to read the book once the show wraps up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They cast a guy with brown eyes who's English but doing a weird English guy voice. Everything about this is good except for the lead.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

timp posted:

He uh, has other reasons to act that way.

micro reasons

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

RestingB1tchFace posted:

This show rules. Might have to read the book once the show wraps up.

Waiting for it to get back on Kindle.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

They cast a guy with brown eyes who's English but doing a weird English guy voice. Everything about this is good except for the lead.

casting based on eye color would be the height of stupidity

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

He's weird and the weirdness is only increased by putting him in blue contacts and extreme closeup all the time.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Arglebargle III posted:

One could almost say they were going for a blue eyed samurai....

It took me to look up an interview to find out he was originally on Raised by Wolves, which totally does not reinforce how old I am despite it only being a few years old.

Good episode overall, I expect that the Anji's divings will continue until bathing has improved.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

kiimo posted:

He uh, has other reasons to act that way.

micro reasons

Just a hunch that that’s going to be left out of this adaptation

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I can't help but laugh at the moment in Whirlwind when he's writing about how apparently ALL Iranians are reckless drivers, and there's a section where some dudes are just zooming down the road weaving in and out of traffic, go flying off a cliff and die in a fireball and the rest of the traffic are just "oh well, gently caress that guy I guess :shrug:")

I'm not sure why but this poo poo made me laugh for like 4 solid minutes

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

He's weird and the weirdness is only increased by putting him in blue contacts and extreme closeup all the time.

It's no more off putting than the blue contacts Edward James Olmos wore on Battlestar Galactica so that he would look more like Jamie Bamber.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

nine-gear crow posted:

It's no more off putting than the blue contacts Edward James Olmos wore on Battlestar Galactica so that he would look more like Jamie Bamber.

If that's all it took i'd be wearing them now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nine-gear crow posted:

This is really insane to me. "Hey Edward James Olmos, who's been in a bunch of poo poo, we need to blue up your eyes so you look like you might be related to this guy who was in 3 episodes of Band of Brothers."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

This is really insane to me. "Hey Edward James Olmos, who's been in a bunch of poo poo, we need to blue up your eyes so you look like you might be related to this guy who was in 3 episodes of Band of Brothers."

I think the contacts were actually Eddie's idea. Dude was insanely method about certain things, doing poo poo like bringing a sleep deprivation expert to the table read for 33, or refusing to make eye contact with actors playing characters who Adama didn't respect, or trashing $100,000 props on camera because he was as broken up over Katee Sackhoff getting "fired" from the show as Adama was upset that Starbuck was killed, and so on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Apparently the propmaster said that ship was a mail order thing that only cost a couple hundred bucks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

It also does a good job of portraying, in a show that so far doesn't have fantastical murder-heroes, that Buntaro is a fairly superlative warrior. He just shears through the opposition until they can start bringing their numbers to bear.

On that note, I also appreciated that the show made a point of showing that a warrior in a full suit or armor has a distinct edge over a bunch of guys in just regular clothes. The unarmoured guys got owned left and right, but only a couple of people in armor got got, and those only through hits to exposed areas like the neck.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Counterpoint: the IT'S NOT PROPER!! WORSE THAN THAT, IT'S VULGAAR!! scene was fantastic and very funny, and it relies on him having a bellowing baritone.

I will admit that they've gone to the well of "intense close-up reaction shot of Cosmo Jarvis' wide-eyed and trembling face" maybe 2 or 3 times too many.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I'm enjoying Jarvis and I dug their take on the "madman" scene with the litters, especially with the follow-up when Mariko's all "Is it really true that all women in England are treated with such reverence and hold their virtue so close? :shobon:" and he goes,"What? No, they're all trollops and slatterns!" :allears:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Cosmo Jarvis has an odd charisma in this, and the intensity he brings to the role sells him as a brash, devil may care adventurer, but the combination of his small, wide-set eyes and bad blue contacts lends him an uncanny appearance. I think his look is also off-putting because he's constantly wide eyed but has a weird lifelessness to his eyes, and his lack of expression is often at odds with his explosive baritone.

I was thinking more about the final sequence on the galley from this last episode and I really liked its subtlety. Toranaga show his dominance, making clear to Blackthorne that he could kill him for piracy and forcing him to dive over and over again, but at the same time he's willing to be vulnerable in front of his entourage and open to learning something new. It does a good job of showing how he puts into action his philosophy that friends are important but fickle and enemies are everywhere so you need to be clever.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 7, 2024

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He looks a bit like that Jesus painting the cleaner touched up.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Google Jeb Bush posted:

yeah this is the Good poo poo. Really hits the holy trinity of a good adaptation of feudal times:

1. armor works
2. a well-trained guy in armor can really gently caress poo poo up
3. a nobleman is probably well-trained even if he's personally a dickhead

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm not sure why but this poo poo made me laugh for like 4 solid minutes

Whirlwind was straight up Looney Tunes. The resolution to the big Starr crossed lovers plot was The woman, realizing Khomeini was not going to respect the progress women made under the Shah, steals a grenade in order to be a martyr during a protest. Her British husband stops her right after she pulls the grabs her hand tight holding the lever in place. They jostle through the crowd to get a clearing, kiss and embrace. Then they explode because they forgot about the grenade.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

they explode because they forgot about the grenade.

Please tell me this is real

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MeinPanzer posted:

Cosmo Jarvis has an odd charisma in this, and the intensity he brings to the role sells him as a brash, devil may care adventurer, but the combination of his small, wide-set eyes and bad blue contacts lends him an uncanny appearance. I think his look is also off-putting because he's constantly wide eyed but has a weird lifelessness to his eyes, and his lack of expression is often at odds with his explosive baritone.

I was thinking more about the final sequence on the galley from this last episode and I really liked its subtlety. Toranaga show his dominance, making clear to Blackthorne that he could kill him for piracy and forcing him to dive over and over again, but at the same time he's willing to be vulnerable in front of his entourage and open to learning something new. It does a good job of showing how he puts into action his philosophy that friends are important but fickle and enemies are everywhere so you need to be clever.

Jarvis looking/acting a bit strange fits. From everyone else's POV Blackthorne's the weirdo, and he's learning to use that to his advantage in a more calculated and theatrical way.

As for making him dive over and over I don't know if it was to remind him that Toranaga could gently caress with him with impunity (I think Blackthorne got the message with the piracy accusation), or because he's a perfectionist who wants to learn as much as he could from observation first. Or maybe it's ego and he wanted to tire Blackthorne first before the contest.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It could be any or all three of those things- concealing his true plans / motives is his most defining practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MrMojok posted:

Please tell me this is real

It is, I only have the book on audible else I'd paste the passage from the book.

I wonder if Cosmo didn't listen to the audio book in prep for the role. His affected accent is pretty much exactly like the one the narrator used in it.