Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Tonetta posted:

what's server stability like now? I've been putting off picking this up because of the reported issues near luanch but hadn't kept up since hearing it was a coding issue.

It's all good, if you think you would like the game get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kly posted:

yup. the tagging and com wheel are enough.
im starting to think jerkface hasnt actually tried playing on lvl9 with randoms yet

I'm arguing with a guy who thinks that shouldnt be possible, I'm not complaining its not possible.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Tonetta posted:

what's server stability like now? I've been putting off picking this up because of the reported issues near luanch but hadn't kept up since hearing it was a coding issue.

It's been fine for a week or so.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tonetta posted:

imperfect but leagues better than before, now's the time to drop in

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think this game is even particularly enhanced by voice comms, other than being able to laugh with and shoot the poo poo with your teammates. You can convey more tactical information with pings than you can with voice comms, you can tag multiple enemies which visually relays their exact position to your team in a way that voice comms can't, you can mark objectives and locations on your team's compass, etc.

You don't even need to use text chat to communicate anything important.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't think this game is even particularly enhanced by voice comms, other than being able to laugh with and shoot the poo poo with your teammates. You can convey more tactical information with pings than you can with voice comms, you can tag multiple enemies which visually relays their exact position to your team in a way that voice comms can't, you can mark objectives and locations on your team's compass, etc.

The dynamic tagging is also really good, it gives direction and distance for whatever you tag

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Anyone have any sense for whether the game is less crashy with this patch? My friend group fell off because we just couldn't get through a mission together without at least one person crashing out.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
thank you everybody. it's time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jerkface posted:

The dynamic tagging is also really good, it gives direction and distance for whatever you tag
it would be nice if it also identified the tagged enemy type for folks out of LOS, but that's probably low value / difficult to concisely convey

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I would like to see an arrow in your periphery pointing to a spotted thing behind you if you aren't looking that way.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Triarii posted:

Anyone have any sense for whether the game is less crashy with this patch? My friend group fell off because we just couldn't get through a mission together without at least one person crashing out.

I still have random crashes when joining groups, but the disconnects that happened in the middle of missions seem to be gone, and it's just specifically when joining a group, not once I've actually joined. So it's still fairly crashy but in a way that doesn't interfere with playing the game.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

it would be nice if it also identified the tagged enemy type for folks out of LOS, but that's probably low value / difficult to concisely convey

It'll say something very generic like 'There! Heavy!' in the ingame VO. Definitely a place where the game could use a big increase in quantity and quality of audio work.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It'll say something very generic like 'There! Heavy!' in the ingame VO. Definitely a place where the game could use a big increase in quantity and quality of audio work.
i was thinking an icon on the tag but yeah that'd be good too

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Insert name here posted:

After initially hating it I became a Liberator Penetrator main in the past few weeks even before the (slight) Breaker nerfs so maybe I'm the one with terminal brain poisoning but I think people should try different guns for a while to see if it works for them

I'm absolutely in love with the AP Liberator. Yes you do a little less damage per bullet, and your mags are smaller so you have to reload more often but the ability to shoot things and ignore a lot of medium armor is great. I especially love shooting Hive Guards in that big slab they call a face. I'm returning that slab right back to sender.

Yeah you use a bit more ammo shooting little dudes but it still kills them pretty easy. Also you can adjust the range of the scope and basically use it as a DMR.

Also I tried the "counter-sniper rifle" DMR and...that thing is such poo poo. Its big problems are: low armor penetration for something supposedly using heavier rounds and the gun turns super slow. It's a primary weapon, a semi-auto rifle, it shouldn't feel as heavy to turn as an autocannon.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Jerkface posted:

I would like to challenge every aspect of a game,

consider making friends & playing with them in a group part of the challenge that you refuse to step up to then

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Worf posted:

consider making friends & playing with them in a group part of the challenge that you refuse to step up to then

No

Elendil004 posted:

It feels like stalkers got worse in the patch. I don't remember the short range boop attack they do that ragdolls you all over.

They've always had that, but I did have a stalker eat like 4 autocannons to the face which was interesting. I assume that was lag/desync though. The stalker lairs got severely nerfed so you can pretty easily blow them with 1 eagle airstrike now which is great. Havent had a miss yet across 3 missions.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 7, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It feels like stalkers got worse in the patch. I don't remember the short range boop attack they do that ragdolls you all over.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it should be illegal for video games to have difficulty settings that are too hard for me

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Elendil004 posted:

The tongue attack? They always did it. It's blocked by shields though.

Breaker Spray & Pray surprisingly good against Stalkers now.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I don't like fighting Chargers. I'm confused that shooting it in the rear end doesn't seem to work, and you instead need to break armor off a leg to kill it. I do most of my fighting on the automaton front, where you can shoot a tank in the rear end and make it explode. I hope the developers can see their exciting and genuinely enjoyable world through my eyes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

it should be illegal for video games to have difficulty settings that are too hard for me

It should be illegal for video games to have a difficulty that requires me to make a friend as a 40 year old man

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Triarii posted:

Me and two other people crashed repeatedly on one map today, I suspect something to do with a particular spot we were in. Never had this happen to that extent before so I suspect it's a patch thing. It happened three times over and over, though they seem to have improved rejoining games (it shoves your previously selected loadout back on you and fires you back down from space).

On another note - the planet we were playing on (moon-like bug world, can't remember the name) had 3-4 meteor showers per match. You can sort of hide under overhangs and other terrain but it does a very good job of pinning you down and obliterating people out in the open. I can understand maybe twice in 40 mins but having it happen so regularly became a bit tedious. It looks extremely cool though.

Laser Cannon is actually viable now, cool gun.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jerkface posted:

It should be illegal for video games to have a difficulty that requires me to make a friend as a 40 year old man

the requirement they made to send an irl selfie of you with at least one other person to queue for helldive is excessive i'll agree

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Reiley posted:

I don't like fighting Chargers. I'm confused that shooting it in the rear end doesn't seem to work, and you instead need to break armor off a leg to kill it. I do most of my fighting on the automaton front, where you can shoot a tank in the rear end and make it explode. I hope the developers can see their exciting and genuinely enjoyable world through my eyes.

If you use a grenade launcher against bugs you can take a charger down in just a few butt shots, explosive damage does 100% damage there. Grenade launcher is also just insanely good against bugs paired with a supply pack anyway.

A lot of people find bots easier but I think it's just familiarity because I find bugs very easy but I am terrified of bots because of how hard they own me if I have even part of one limb exposed. Overall very much appreciate the design of how different the factions are to play against and how much familiarity seems to help with feeling confident about them. Can't wait for the third to get added eventually!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Man this thread got filled with bunch of spiteful bullshit real quick, huh? Put your peevishness away for a sec, very bad vibes. It's okay to disagree on things relating to this game, alright guys? Okay? Grow up a bit, it's not necessary to get all angry and make personal attacks about a drat video game.

Anyways, after playing several sessions today, I gotta say I'm not particularly happy with the changes. The shield debuff is a good idea. I think the railgun isn't a huge deal, maybe it was nerfed a bit too much but it's close to what it should be I think. Like three charged shots to a charger leg should be enough, that helps to balance it a lot, but for me it was getting to something like 4 or 5. Meaning 12 to 15 for three chargers.

The big missed opportunity though was only buffing a few things, and buffing them in a way that doesn't make them particularly more viable than before. The laser cannon is still totally nonviable on higher difficulties. The flamethrower is kind of fun but the lack of range, and speed you go through canisters, is still way too high. It's viable, I suppose, but just barely. The autocannon is pretty balanced but I think a bit more AP would be nice. In fact, I would've liked to see buffs to nearly all the rarely used weapons in the game, both primary and calldown. The recoilless rifle, given how awkward it is to use and reload, should do WAY more damage per shot imo.

The majority of weapons remain bad to use on higher difficulties, if anything this patch has pushed the meta on higher difficulties even further towards stealth, which I think is a mistake because that isn't what's fun about the game. Counter sniper, punisher, marksman, laser cannon, and every other rarely used weapon needs to be better.

None of this is a huge deal, I'll keep playing, but very much hoping that we get further balance patches with more of a focus on buffing. If the game gets too easy it would not be hard to correct for that by increasing enemy numbers, but the attraction of the game is to be both a powerful avatar of death and a squishy human at the same time. I don't think they've achieved that with this patch.

And regarding armor, the damage mitigation of medium and heavy armor is still too low. I used medium armor for all of one round before realizing that this will not work, it's too freaking slow and the benefits simply don't outweigh the negatives of slow movement and stamina regen.

I really like most of the environmental additions, with the exception of the meteor showers. If there was some skill involved I'd be okay with it, but a milisecond blue flash was all I was seeing before they slammed down on me from above. I think it would be more fun if your ship points them out for you like in a boss fight, so there are specific areas you have to avoid so as not to be killed by them, but you can still navigate the area if you're paying attention. It also seemed like they weren't damaging the enemy? Not positive about that though.

Play fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 7, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You shouldn’t only bring precision guns against robots, precision guns are for armored robots. You want high ROF weapons because you can gently caress up their accuracy by just shooting in their direction. A MG while prone/crouched is basically the perfect weapon for bots.

Stalwart’s variable ROFs are very valuable because you can set it to low ROF against machines that enables you to place shots better and conserve ammo. You can set it to high ROF against bugs to GAT those sons of bitches

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Jerkface posted:

Higher difficulties should be gate kept by skill

Isn't this what's already happening to you? :psyduck:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

jokes posted:

You get bonus medals by completing 2nd/3rd/4th missions within a campaign

But those happen whether you were there on the previous mission or not, just randomly quick joining ever mission will give you the same medals on average as trying to stay all the way through - more often, in ny experience.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The absolute funniest part of this whole conversation, despite the fundamentally unreasonable premise, is that the hardest difficulty right now absolutely is totally doable by a random group of pubbies who barely communicate - they havent even released the actual hard difficulties yet balanced around coordinated groups, they've said that is coming later.

Reiley posted:

See, I hate fighting the automatons precisely becaus shooting the tanks in the rear end hardly ever makes them explode and I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I suspect the answer is "not using the autocannon"? I feel like the RR should probably do something when it hits the weak point but it consistently does not.

I actually dont much like fighting the robots at all to be honest, though.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 7, 2024

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you use a grenade launcher against bugs you can take a charger down in just a few butt shots, explosive damage does 100% damage there. Grenade launcher is also just insanely good against bugs paired with a supply pack anyway.

A lot of people find bots easier but I think it's just familiarity because I find bugs very easy but I am terrified of bots because of how hard they own me if I have even part of one limb exposed. Overall very much appreciate the design of how different the factions are to play against and how much familiarity seems to help with feeling confident about them. Can't wait for the third to get added eventually!!

My current method for the bugs is to bring a guard dog and a stalwart but I've recently learned about the arc thrower and have seen a lot of success using it on bugs. I learned that I can throw my unused support and backpack weapon calls at chargers and they are like having bonus orbital railgun uses. If you do this with the guard dog you just get a fresh guard dog and your friends get a guard dog to refill on the next resupply, which you can also call as an orbital railgun shot on another charger.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

No, im able to PUG just fine, right now. I just don't want the balance to move towards what people like Flashman want, which is a difficulty that requires extra ordinary coordination. I am told this is an unreasonable request. I disagree with that.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

what if you chose the difficulty you liked, and it didn't have to be the maximum difficulty

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kly posted:

the railgun just takes one extra shot to do what it was doing before

i've been watching people bounce safe-charged shots off the legs all afternoon while i try to play rope-a-dope with four of them at a time with yakety sax playing in the background

think i'll give bug missions a few days off while people figure it out

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Tonetta posted:

what if you chose the difficulty you liked, and it didn't have to be the maximum difficulty

well tonetta what if i want the max difficulty what then :colbert:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

How elitist of you to say you do not want to hear heavy breathing following by someone’s mother yelli by at them to get off the games and do their homework

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Tonetta posted:

THEN I WOULD NOT BE DISPENSING AS MUCH FREEDOM AND IT WOULD BE BAD FOR MY EGO

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

No, no, no, a dedicated battlecry button. And an expanded response wheel maybe. Make the victory poses emotes. I want to be standing atop a hill, doing the super emote, screaming "FOR DEMOCRACY!" as a 500kg bomb explodes gloriously behind me. Get in touch with the Chivalry people, Arrowhead. (But for the love of God don't let them patch your game.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jerkface posted:

Then it sounds like youre gonna have to git gud (at making social connections and coordinating strategy). Assuming they ever introduce a difficulty level that requires that, which I hope they do.

SplitSoul posted:

No, no, no, a dedicated battlecry button.

Give me my "FOR ROCK AND STONE MANAGED DEMOCRACY!" button, drat it!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I hope they add a special no jerkface difficulty so I can keep reading these great posts forever!

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Jerkface posted:

it sounds like you like the current maximum difficulty and therefore you should probably continue to play that difficulty until you find another difficulty that you like, assuming they ever scale difficulty or you ever change your mind about what you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

i hope they release a jerkface only difficulty and its the hardest one. :colbert: