Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Finally made it to the saucer, in 1998 I was but a young man and I ignored my girlfriend for a few weeks when I found out ps1 existed and a game called ff7 existed, this game brings back good memories :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It really doesn't make much sense how the black robed dudes are at some of these locations and I think I love it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kale posted:

Was the whole Republic of Junon a thing in the original game cause I always thought it was just supposed to be the main Shinra naval base on the continent or something and a city and population had just kind of grown around it as tends to happen with those things. I definitely don't remember anything about it being a formerly independent Republic that went to war with Shinra and lost like Wutai definitely was in the OG.

So this was bothering me before so I did some research.

The "Republic of Junon" as in that title for it and its general size is a new thing but it's built off something from the original game where the city beneath Junon was an established fishing village and port that Shinra took over, converted into a military base, and built a Mako Reactor at. So basically it is there in the original game and the basic premise is the same, they just fleshed it out a bit to make it a bit more coherent.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gologle posted:

It really doesn't make much sense how the black robed dudes are at some of these locations and I think I love it?
I'm only on Chapter 6, but I don't think it's supposed to? Cloud and the gang have already commented several times on how the robe guys have flat loving disappeared even though there was nowhere to go and then they show up somewhere else they had no possible way of getting to.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

ImpAtom posted:

So this was bothering me before so I did some research.

Was there any dialogue about this in the OG?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

ImpAtom posted:

Aw man. I loved that fight.

I really like that if you just button mash and go ham Rufus picks you apart, but if you understand the mechanics then you beat his rear end nine ways from Sunday. The animations are really good so you actually see Cloud bashing his gun aside and him frantically trying to recover and growing more desperate as Corneo's dudes make fun of him in the background, it's immensely satisfying to see Rufus step into the ring with Cloud and get absolutely loving bodied for it and it actually feels earned.
One of the best things the remakes have done w/r/t capturing the characters and depicting them well: Cloud is a certified loving badass. You could make a compelling argument that his combat prowess is the only reason the party tolerates him for most of the Remake. The loss and trauma that he has been forced to contend with have crippled him as a human being, and he already struggled with forming meaningful connections before poo poo really hit the catastrophic fan, but "Cloud Strife washed out of SOLDIER" has always been darkly funny since 1997, because he is unquestionably capable of kicking everybody's rear end

Jimbot posted:

Can't do the level 40 colosseum fight at 32. Can get past the first part but the second fight can't allow for errors. Cloud keeps getting bodied. If you control Aerith you can hide behind shields and laugh your way to a slow and tedious victory if you desired. Will come back to this one later on.
Block more. I do not want to sound like That Guy, and this advice might seem needlessly reductive, but it's difficult to overstate how much Rebirth wants you to block, especially as Cloud and especially especially on Red XIII. You will have a much easier time.

Arist posted:

I've been in Chapter 9 for over a dozen hours
This loving region, man. This whole game has been a loving delight but holy poo poo

Kale posted:

Was the whole Republic of Junon a thing in the original game cause I always thought it was just supposed to be the main Shinra naval base on the continent or something and a city and population had just kind of grown around it as tends to happen with those things. I definitely don't remember anything about it being a formerly independent Republic that went to war with Shinra and lost like Wutai definitely was in the OG.
The concept of a military and political power that fought Shinra and lost was relegated exclusively to Wutai in OG FF7; there were scattered references to what Junon had been before Shinra mollywhopped everyone on the globe, but the idea that Junon was once capable of almost rivaling Shinra is a new conceit for the remakes, especially all the references to their former bases and stuff.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I am having fun, almost 40 hours in, recently hit Chapter 8, but feel like I'm still terrible at combat (Normal difficulty).

I get by and die pretty seldom, but I feel like I take way more damage than I should and burn through more consumables than is ideal.

I guess I should spend some time experimenting with things in the simulator.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mst4k posted:

Was there any dialogue about this in the OG?

Yep, quite a lot of it, at least for the original game. If you talk to the NPCs in Under Junon they basically talk exclusively about how much they hate their port and fishing village has turned into a polluted hellhole. Everything I said there is from original FF7.

(Hell, it's Priscillia's entire thing. She hates Shinra because her grandparents used to talk about how beautiful the city was before Shinra built Junon above it and she distrusts the party before they rescue her because she assumed they were with Shinra.)

"There's nothing here now... But it used to be a busy port."
"For the past few decades, the only thing I've been hearing about is the Shinra. I miss the times when we used to talk only about fish..."
"Grandpa and grandma told me this beach was beautiful when they were small. But after the Shinra built that city above, the sun stopped shining here, and the water got polluted... I was raised on that story and hate Shinra so much, I could die!"

So what Rebirth does is basically take the idea and expands it outwards, with Crow's Nest being effectively combining Fort Condor and Junon into one more cohesive whole

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 7, 2024

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

UP AND ADAM posted:

The Mangahanata or whatever book stores are stunningly pointless, except for providing more of that FF7 flavor in the one with the creepy owner employing 3 of the same type of speccy assistant girls

I will say I enjoyed the ladies in the lower Junon bookstore who were looking for erotica.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also with regards to Red XIII
(minor spoiler around Cosmo Canyon)

Red XIII actually has different dialogue for almost every unique line he has post-Cosmo Canyon where his dialogue is made to sound more casual in the original game. The translation absolutely butchers this since it just ends up slightly rearranging words, but "Red XIII's voice distinctly changes once you reach Cosmo Canyon" is also there in the original FF7.

I genuinely had no idea Red had new dialogue for almost everything post Cosmo Canyon because I always did things as they came.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I swear I remember a piece of dialogue that said something like "Shinra discovered mako 5 years ago" and just nodded along like it was a detail from OG FF7 they were using without really interrogating.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Quinton posted:

I am having fun, almost 40 hours in, recently hit Chapter 8, but feel like I'm still terrible at combat (Normal difficulty).

I get by and die pretty seldom, but I feel like I take way more damage than I should and burn through more consumables than is ideal.

I guess I should spend some time experimenting with things in the simulator.
This was true in Remake but is doubly true in Rebirth: the battle system is meant to be an action system that riffs on the turn-based roots of the original. The flow of combat should be such that you don't drive just one guy all the time -- you should be building ATBs, then switching to someone else to build their ATBs, then switching again, etc., such that everyone gets a "turn." This will expedite your Synergy Abilities, which are basically on par with level one Limit Breaks in terms of their power afaik, and it will prevent your point character from getting piled on by all the enemies you've inevitably aggroed.

If you're taking too much damage, you might not be switching enough, or you're probably trying to dodge everything. Block more. Enemy attacks track way better than they did in Remake, so often you'll dodge and get hit anyway. Focus on avoiding attacks that have the exclamation point in their nameplate, and otherwise, block. With folio upgrades and the right materia setups, characters like Cloud, Barret, and Red XIII can essentially block forever without any real risk of dying.

If switching too often is annoying, or not your preferred playstyle, consider using the Auto Unique Ability, Auto Cast, and Auto Weapon Ability materia for companion characters you don't like to play. It isn't as sophisticated as Gambits from FF12, but your party members won't just sit there doing nothing, which they will frequently do if you don't have these materia allocated.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I am switching between characters, though perhaps should do it more often.

Probably not blocking enough, but when I do block it's not clear it's actually helping much. I expect I'm doing it wrong.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The ATB block materia is choice for two reasons. One: free ATB, wonderful. Two: if you aren't blocking attacks now, you will be with this equipped, so it's good brain training.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

gently caress, I see what people were complaining about with the crunches mini game. Having to rapid tap L2 while the adaptive trigger is active is goddamn sadistic. Just clearing the basic version was rough for me.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

JBP posted:

The ATB block materia is choice for two reasons. One: free ATB, wonderful. Two: if you aren't blocking attacks now, you will be with this equipped, so it's good brain training.
Absolutely true. Steadfast Block and Precision Defense Focus are incredibly strong options for Cloud especially, because he already creates tremendous stagger pressure as is. Perfect blocking in Punisher will build most or all of an ATB gauge, immediately trigger a counter, and cause significant stagger increase, and you can perfect block binding/pinning attacks to boot.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Hey thanks for posting this, going to send this to a good friend of mine who is a FF lore wizard. Much appreciated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arist posted:

I've been in Chapter 9 for over a dozen hours

Some of these chapters are really loving long, chapter 9 is one of them. Or at least they feel long. Chapter 11 also feels like it drags on forever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is Gravity useful for anything? It seems really bad

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Tricking little kids who play this game for a decade+

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Mostly done with the fourth region and becoming further convinced that Cait Sith might be the second strongest character in the game. ATB gain is literally his only weakness.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can’t seem to get the hang of QB. These opponents at the Crow’s Nest destroy me easily with either pre-built available to me. I’d make my own deck but I’d just be throwing random cards together since I can’t grasp the strategy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SettingSun posted:

I can’t seem to get the hang of QB. These opponents at the Crow’s Nest destroy me easily with either pre-built available to me. I’d make my own deck but I’d just be throwing random cards together since I can’t grasp the strategy.

Go fast and occupy the board. Sometimes you can skip a turn to let them play a card knowing that you will then get to block their next node and use it. Basically mode cards on board = win for a long time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
im wrapping up ch 3. should i be buying materia out of the vending machines? i still just have one of each of the main elemental ones. i did break down and buy a second heal so i could comeback in hard fights a little easier.

also, how the gently caress do you see what abilities a party member has? i'm juggling materia and don't want aero on a guy that has the free wind attack, etc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Soul Glo posted:

im wrapping up ch 3. should i be buying materia out of the vending machines? i still just have one of each of the main elemental ones. i did break down and buy a second heal so i could comeback in hard fights a little easier.

also, how the gently caress do you see what abilities a party member has? i'm juggling materia and don't want aero on a guy that has the free wind attack, etc.

Just buy the cool Chadley materia and if the machine has something you have 0 of, grab it. You get plenty of money. You get enough materia without buying doubles from the machines though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

JBP posted:

Just buy the cool Chadley materia and if the machine has something you have 0 of, grab it. You get plenty of money. You get enough materia without buying doubles from the machines though.

ok thanks, didnt wanna get to far to where i'd have to be farming ap later on to level up base level elementals

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yikes, the final sit-up thing sucked rear end! Finally beat it, but that blows. There were a few significant problems:

- Adaptive trigger pressure stuff makes it *way* harder to keep a steady quick rhythm. This was probably the biggest problem after my first 5+ tries.
- The visual difference between "tap L2/R2" and "hold L2/R2 half-down" was pointlessly subtle. After a while I learned to quickly tell the difference, bit they should have made it clearer.
- The trigger pressure for the tapping parts is a straight-up accessibility problem. My fingers are very tired, and it's much harder to keep rhythm after you just tired your finger out tapping a button with resistance

At least it's over!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SettingSun posted:

Control the board; the cards will take care of themselves.

Waiting for your opponent to put a pawn on a square you can claim is the core of the game because then you can play and flip control of that square. And if they can’t play anywhere that’d let them reclaim it, then that square is yours and you can leave it empty while you go contest other pawns. Contrariwise, don’t put your pawns next to squares where your opponent has pawns if you can help it, because that’s just begging them to play on their square and flip your pawn.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The person who posted earlier in this thread about just playing very aggressive and filling up the board as fast as possible, was right on the money. Works every time for winning.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Soul Glo posted:

You kinda do want Aero on a guy that has the free wind attack because having the free wind attack makes Aero into Aero ⍺. Also, you can see a list of abilities in Combat Settings when setting realtime shortcuts for someone.

It's kinda worth it to keep spare materia around and have one or two being trained up passively, especially on your unused party members. This way if you ever suddenly have a need for a spell like Esuna or Faith or Slow or something you have it to hand. Also it lets you have everyone equipped all at once without having to be swapping materia around so much.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Yikes, the final sit-up thing sucked rear end! Finally beat it, but that blows. There were a few significant problems:

- Adaptive trigger pressure stuff makes it *way* harder to keep a steady quick rhythm. This was probably the biggest problem after my first 5+ tries.
- The visual difference between "tap L2/R2" and "hold L2/R2 half-down" was pointlessly subtle. After a while I learned to quickly tell the difference, bit they should have made it clearer.
- The trigger pressure for the tapping parts is a straight-up accessibility problem. My fingers are very tired, and it's much harder to keep rhythm after you just tired your finger out tapping a button with resistance

At least it's over!

this is why I disabled trigger resistance for that mini game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Is Gravity useful for anything? It seems really bad

Against beefy enemies it is the best use of an ATB unless they aew immune

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

I've grabbed one extra of all the basic spells but that's basically it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Fedule posted:

You kinda do want Aero on a guy that has the free wind attack because having the free wind attack makes Aero into Aero ⍺. Also, you can see a list of abilities in Combat Settings when setting realtime shortcuts for someone.

It's kinda worth it to keep spare materia around and have one or two being trained up passively, especially on your unused party members. This way if you ever suddenly have a need for a spell like Esuna or Faith or Slow or something you have it to hand. Also it lets you have everyone equipped all at once without having to be swapping materia around so much.

ahhh ok, ty

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Wouldn't this make the "press half-way down" ones difficult? Or does it only fail you on those if you fully press the button?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Ooh right I was going to ask if you can just disable that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Wouldn't this make the "press half-way down" ones difficult? Or does it only fail you on those if you fully press the button?

just had to use a lighter touch for those prompts. it was worth it to not risk an RSI slamming those triggers for 30 minutes

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Had to stop playing early for the night, Jules is just too cruel and my hands can only take so much. I got within a few seconds of beating him a couple times, only to biff it at the last second and he caught up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whaaaat the gently caress is going on with Alexander. drat thing is tanky as gently caress. Maybe I should try an all-lightning build?

Edit: yep, that was it!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slev
Apr 6, 2009

That chicken side quest was complete rear end