Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

priznat posted:

I play this in my car while dropping the kids off at school now.

this you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

i think the balance/nerf argument is getting so out of hand because the game has the interest of so many people and there isn't really new content coming out on a scale that would make them happy. No one has anything better to do.

The changes are fine, the game isn't impossible. There are six ways to kill everything.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If I kill bugs but it says 7 next to the difficulty instead of 9 it's not even a fun game

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Let me play as a charger

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
7s can be extremely hard, try a secondary only run. No strategem use, if your pubbies die, they die.

You better tag the helbombs on the minimap and yakety sax to them when you need to get rid of stuff

E:bonus, go for the hellbomb high score, mine is 43 so far :(

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 7, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chargers are tearing us apart!!!

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

flashman posted:

Why make the highest difficulty easier when there's a bunch of easier difficulties anyway? Who does this benefit?

If clicking on helldive just spawned only chargers and bile titans and was unbeatable this would be fine, because I can just click impossible instead and maybe some dude will figure out how to do it
i could not tell you the difference between 7, 8 and 9 other than super sample drops, it's just a wall of the heaviest enemies spawned non-stop. Unless that's changed in tandem with the nerfs, I don't see a reason to play higher difficulties than 7, and I doubly do not see a reason to do any map modifiers like double calldown times or double cooldowns.

the thing that killed HD1 for me was the lock and key structure to higher difficulty missions - you must bring certain options for certain enemies, and if you can't, you're hosed. If every single bug encounter is me running away from 5+ chargers on any given difficulty 4 or above because the Anti-Armor options suck rear end, then I can tap out on HD2 as well.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

toasterwarrior posted:

???

he's pro making higher difficulties need less tight coordination and anti nerfing stuff, what are you talking about

dude you even fuckin replied to him saying that stuff? are you high

He thinks there shouldn't be difficulties coordinated teams would find challenging. That is the beginning and end of his argument. Not that there should be difficulties that cater to him - but specifically that other people should not be allowed to have difficulties that cater to them. That is literally the entirety of his argument, that other people should not be allowed to play in a way they find fun because he would not enjoy playing that way (even though he doesnt have to)

No one, not one person, has seriously argued there shouldnt be a difficulty catering to his desire to be challenged while playing with pubbies. We are all glad there is. They just think it would be cool if there was a difficulty coordinated groups would find challenging as well, and this whole conversation is about how he doesnt think that difficulty should be allowed to exist! Thats the whole argument! That he thinks higher difficulties than he can comfortably play shouldnt exist, and that we should find this "reasonable", that's the whole thing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rectal Death Alert posted:

...there isn't really new content coming out on a scale that would make them happy..

The game has been out for a couple days shy of a month!! Mechs are coming soon! What the hell can people expect?

I bet if there was a decent content drop in the first 2-4 weeks people would just piss and moan about how it must have been ready for launch but the devs are drip feeding content.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They charge now?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pilestedt seemed to instantly shoot down rumors of a Sony acquisition the other day, which I expected after this game went nuclear. If it had been a modest hit I think there might be some talk of going first party, but I think the game blowing up like it did gives Arrowhead massive leverage here at a time when all sorts of first party layoffs are also happening. Good for them, stay independent! Defend freedom!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sestze posted:

i could not tell you the difference between 7, 8 and 9 other than super sample drops, it's just a wall of the heaviest enemies spawned non-stop.

afaik there isn't one, 8 and 9 are just 7 with the charger dial being turned up

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Sestze posted:

i could not tell you the difference between 7, 8 and 9 other than super sample drops, it's just a wall of the heaviest enemies spawned non-stop. Unless that's changed in tandem with the nerfs, I don't see a reason to play higher difficulties than 7, and I doubly do not see a reason to do any map modifiers like double calldown times or double cooldowns.

the thing that killed HD1 for me was the lock and key structure to higher difficulty missions - you must bring certain options for certain enemies, and if you can't, you're hosed. If every single bug encounter is me running away from 5+ chargers on any given difficulty 4 or above because the Anti-Armor options suck rear end, then I can tap out on the game itself.

As you move up from 7 it becomes much easier to get into a quagmire of breaches and heavies. As long as someone has at least the eat there should be no issues with the quantity youll encounter on 7 but on 9 you'll need a bit more dedicated anti heavy strategy.

I mean the difficulty at this point is increased spawns of heavy creatures, as nothing else really poses a threat. It's fine to say well reduce the heavy spawn and up the regular creatures to compensate but the tools you have to deal with the weaker units are so effective that there's no difficulty there at all and you'd end up needing to nerf these fun to use strategems like the orbital airburst and poo poo which would be terrible for the satisfaction of playing.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Idk how people feel about the changes but it feels unpatriotic to complain. After all now I can stand face to face with the filthy bugs, look them in their cold soulless eyes and with a hose of fire welcome them to the gates of hell itself

also, the meteor showers are so pretty and so deadly

boz posted:

I actually got a clip of this last night, had two of them charge straight into eachother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYKk-IOINSI

loving rules

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Bussamove posted:

Can you actually juke a patrol/breach hole that’s spotted you so they drop aggro? I’m coming from the Vermintide/Darktide side of things where if they’re coming at you it’s a fight no matter what, I’m still getting used to how things work in regards to the AI here.

Yeah definitely worth saying that you can definitely juke a patrol to drop aggro. It requires gettin distance, breaking line of sight, and staying quiet by not calling in stuff and shooting.

You can also juke out patrols by distracting them with explosions, sentries, etc in a direction you are not going! If they didn't spot you they'll head towards the booms. The Tesla Tower is great for this against bugs. They just walk at it. Literal bug zapper.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Played a few games solo on Fenrir (the Moon looking rear end map) with a meteor storm and drat that was beautiful. Got the railgun open but I guess I just don't know how to use it yet, seemed more uneffective against armored bugs than I imagined - and yes that's prob on me for not knowing how to aim. The grenade launcher on the other hand owned and with so much ammo scattered around the maps I really didn't feel like needing a supply pack.

If they'd make stealth more viable (like silenced weapons and a cloaking backpack) playing solo would actually be fun. Now it's just playing a suckier version of a great coop game.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Relentlessboredomm posted:

also, the meteor showers are so pretty and so deadly

I love how they look, but is there anything you can do to not get killed by a meteor other than hope? I spawned in and immediately got killed by one. drat undemocratic if you ask me!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

CyberLord XP posted:

I love how they look, but is there anything you can do to not get killed by a meteor other than hope? I spawned in and immediately got killed by one. drat undemocratic if you ask me!

Look at the circle on the ground, it gets brighter and smaller as the meteor gets closer. Be sure to stand in the middle of the circle, it's the best way to look up and see the meteor!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Dropping stuff is actually great for losing pursuers in general, they seem to prioritize weapons and supply drops over helldivers, its actually pretty weird. But yeah you can escape from a surprising amount of stuff if you break line of site. They will still be aggro on you for a while, but they wont know where you actually are so it will mostly just be hunting in the area they last saw you until something distracts them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so people are talking mediums, heavies, elites - are these like, listed somewhere, or,

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Ciaphas posted:

so people are talking mediums, heavies, elites - are these like, listed somewhere, or,

Best I got is what your dude says when you tag them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

He thinks there shouldn't be difficulties coordinated teams would find challenging. That is the beginning and end of his argument. Not that there should be difficulties that cater to him - but specifically that other people should not be allowed to have difficulties that cater to them. That is literally the entirety of his argument, that other people should not be allowed to play in a way they find fun because he would not enjoy playing that way (even though he doesnt have to)

No one, not one person, has seriously argued there shouldnt be a difficulty catering to his desire to be challenged while playing with pubbies. We are all glad there is. They just think it would be cool if there was a difficulty coordinated groups would find challenging as well, and this whole conversation is about how he doesnt think that difficulty should be allowed to exist! Thats the whole argument! That he thinks higher difficulties than he can comfortably play shouldnt exist, and that we should find this "reasonable", that's the whole thing.

you got some wild rear end logic stretching going on, duder, based primarily on you reading so deep into "i dont want to need to voice chat or do pre-made groups" that you've somehow made a guy wanting to be effective solo or pubbing into some sort of elite gamer oppressor. good luck with that, i guess

see y'all when the mechs roll out and cause more balance arguments

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been on difficulty 7 and just unlocked 8, haven't even used railguns except what I scavenged, and I single fire the breaker, so guess I'm good to go lol

Reddit's making GBS threads its pants though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LuiCypher posted:

Yyyyyyyyyep, the bots have been moving slowly but inexorably towards there. They do sure like to take planets one at a time while nobody's looking...

It does do damage over time. The damage ignores armor. It is only worth it to run near a Titan to light it up with a flamethrower if you intend to kill the Bile Titan when you drop in as a reinforcement.

Edit: I am being sarcastic, but landing on a Bile Titan with your drop pod is actually not the worst strategy if you have the reinforcements for it! It is, after all, an orbital calldown that has no cooldown timer. I may have killed multiple Bile Titans this way yesterday on a bug defense map.

There's a reason I want them to add a stratagem that's just chucking an empty Hellpod at poo poo

Ciaphas posted:

thinking about it, what the game really needs is two emote buttons so I can get hugs AND salute the ICBM launch on the same mission

meanwhile my goal is to get a hug with the ICBM detonation in the background :3:

I like doing the "waiting for hug" pose while facing the ICBM fireball, makes for a decent discount "Praise The Sun" pose

Also there should be a random chance to just get as a stratagem in a mission(like the Hellbomb one*) one that marks the location for an ICBM strike so we can have a more up close view of the temporary new sun we make

*honestly I kind of wish you could take Hellbomb as a regular Stratagem as well, that or be able to move the random dud ones you find across maps with you

explosivo posted:

taking up a backpack slot is a pretty hefty tradeoff and it takes ages to reload, I think it's pretty fair the way it is tbh.

Only takes forever if you have to reload it from empty, if you keep an eye on your ammo count and only have to reload a single clip at a time then it's fairly short

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I think some of the salt is coming from The Rambos.

You can't throw on the Meta Trailblazer armor, a shield pack and then and sprint at maximum speed through an egg hatchery tanking 50 bug slaps with the occasional stim. Those people are getting folded like a pair of pants now and have to at least pay attention to what they are doing.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

you got some wild rear end logic stretching going on, duder, based primarily on you reading so deep into "i dont want to need to voice chat or do pre-made groups" that you've somehow made a guy wanting to be effective solo or pubbing into some sort of elite gamer oppressor. good luck with that, i guess

see y'all when the mechs roll out and cause more balance arguments

The guy that didn't want any thing harder than being able to complete without any coordination.. Yes..

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Only takes forever if you have to reload it from empty, if you keep an eye on your ammo count and only have to reload a single clip at a time then it's fairly short

This is technically true of all guns in a narrower sense - if you reload before the mag's empty then you get a faster reload animation because you don't need to chamber a round, and if you had just one round left (the one in the chamber) then you don't waste any ammo either.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lmao how the gently caress is anyone using the flamethrower in this patch and saying it's bad? You can kill 4 chargers with a single mag and it basically instagibs everything lighter than a charger

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

deep dish peat moss posted:

Lmao how the gently caress is anyone using the flamethrower in this patch and saying it's bad? You can kill 4 chargers with a single mag and it basically instagibs everything lighter than a charger

yeah the flamethrower is great until you need to use two tanks to kill one charger and a hunter just walks through the flames and kills you

honestly before buffing or nerfing guns i feel like the devs should probably just double or triple check that things are even working correctly in the first place

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If anything I feel like this game is easier (against bugs) now because frankly the Railgun was already bad and slower at killing things than other options, and now people are feeling forced to use the actually-good guns instead of focusing their entire strategy around being able to blow off charger feet like an early 2000s youtube frag vid.

Like, the grenade launcher was already faster at killing Chargers than the railgun before today, with the side benefit of actually being good against everything else too. And now that difference is even more pronounced.

Basically I feel like everyone using the Railgun was making the game way loving harder for themselves all along, you can tell because they were the only people who thought the game was particularly hard (against bugs). Chargers are and always have been a complete non-threat that are only scary in the middle of a big swarm of small bugs, which the railgun has no way to deal with, which made Chargers appear more threatening than they are to railgun users, which reinforced their idea that they needed a Railgun to deal with Chargers. But if you're dealing with all the real threats (a.k.a. artillery bugs and swarms of hoppers) well, you can just (very easily) sidestep Chargers like a charging bull and send a couple grenades up their rear end and they just die instantly. And now you can do that with the Flamethrower too. And probably any 'explosive' tagged weapon.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 7, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

flashman posted:

The guy that didn't want any thing harder than being able to complete without any coordination.. Yes..

i want to be able to complete it using coordination available in the game hth :cheers:

edit: me and a rando pubbie both tossed 500 kg eagle strikes onto a group of 3 chargers and instantly hit the fist bump on helldive today and we didnt need to be on discord to do it :coolfish:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
okay I feel like the orbital smoke and smoke grenade are both worthless and need to be much, much bigger.

eagle smoke drop is fine and actually useful.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Jerkface posted:

Yea and thats an incredibly naive opinion to have for a developer. Raids get beat nearly instantaneously, challenging games get defeated quickly. You can't be "horrified" people are beating your game when hundreds of thousands of people are playing it. A percentage of them will be highly skilled!

I also do not want to "turn the difficulty down 1" - I would like to challenge every aspect of a game, its what I enjoy and devs should not cater to premade groups. You could similarly just play with the worst strategems and weapons as a premade and increase difficulty that way.

I suspect that they're "horrified" because they had a design in mind where the playerbase basically gets their poo poo pushed in for the first month, and then they release some new, more powerful toys to play with that enable us to turn the tide and start winning more consistently. If the target for your tuning was that, say, 5% of helldive missions end in success for the first month, and in actuality 75% of them end in success with half the playerbase earning an achievement for completing a full helldive operation in the first two weeks, well that's a pretty horrifying miss.

What games have raids that are cleared nearly instantaneously by random pugs, anyway?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Luv 2 get kicked 20 seconds before the Pelican arrives for reasons unknown.

Seriously, it's annoying as gently caress especially when it's usually because the host is a petty moron. Really wish they'd figure out a way that you still get some xp/req points if the pelican is inbound, because otherwise it's bullshit.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

RBA Starblade posted:

Reddit's making GBS threads its pants though

The reaction to this on Reddit are blowing me away, it's like an apocalypse.

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I think some of the salt is coming from The Rambos.

You can't throw on the Meta Trailblazer armor, a shield pack and then and sprint at maximum speed through an egg hatchery tanking 50 bug slaps with the occasional stim. Those people are getting folded like a pair of pants now and have to at least pay attention to what they are doing.

I believe it's this. Without fail so far every complaint I have seen is all "When I get attacked by 4 chargers" and never, ever mention their teammates and their strategems at all. Like they expect that every single thing that encounter need to be handled alone without teammates and with their primary and maybe sometimes their call in weapon only. I find it bizarre.
There's also been a really large number of people thinking demanding that charger legs be reduced to be destroyed by medium armor penetration, which I feel would completely defeat the point of the charger even existing.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

If anything I feel like this game is easier (against bugs) now because frankly the Railgun was already bad and slower at killing things than other options, and now people are feeling forced to use the actually-good guns instead of focusing their entire strategy around being able to blow off charger feet like an early 2000s youtube frag vid.

Like, the grenade launcher was already faster at killing Chargers than the railgun before today, with the side benefit of actually being good against everything else too. And now that difference is even more pronounced.

Basically I feel like everyone using the Railgun was making the game way loving harder for themselves all along, you can tell because they were the only people who thought the game was particularly hard. Chargers are and always have been a complete non-threat that are only scary in the middle of a big swarm of small bugs, which the railgun has no way to deal with, which made Chargers appear more threatening than they are to railgun users, which reinforced their idea that they needed a Railgun to deal with Chargers. But if you're dealing with all the real threats (a.k.a. artillery bugs and swarms of grasshoppers) well, you can just (very easily) sidestep them like a charging bull and send a couple grenades up their rear end and they just die instantly.

Nah the railgun was elite. Being able to one shot bile titans on a charged shot was pretty insane, especially with its quick reload and 20rounds. It's still good but it's not as ridiculous as it was.

I love the grenade launcher but I feel it's not as great at chargers as you're making it out. Yeah it slaps but I find my teammates end my life well before they end what they were targeting, and chargers bump this up significantly because they love to chase me down.
You raise a good point and it's definitely the loadout of the entire team. The artillery bugs I've found a total non-threat because my teammate loves the autocannon. It shuts them down almost immediately.

EDIT:

BitBasher posted:

The reaction to this on Reddit are blowing me away, it's like an apocalypse.

I believe it's this. Without fail so far every complaint I have seen is all "When I get attacked by 4 chargers" and never, ever mention their teammates and their strategems at all. Like they expect that every single thing that encounter need to be handled alone without teammates and with their primary and maybe sometimes their call in weapon only. I find it bizarre.
There's also been a really large number of people thinking demanding that charger legs be reduced to be destroyed by medium armor penetration, which I feel would completely defeat the point of the charger even existing.
When it's 4+ chargers it's a lot harder to roll the AT. Most the AT weaponry and stratagems for this requires a fair bit of breathing room which the charger counters by its nature. EAT is useful but there's just frankly not enough supply to deal with a fight like that constantly, and for diff 8 and above this will be the sort of poo poo show you get on a main objective you're hesitant to retreat from.

It's doable and yeah my team win operations on diff 8 (haven't tried 9 yet) but compared to bot missions the fight is a lot less fun and way more of a slog.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 7, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i wish there was more gameplay around blasting armor off of enemies, making them vulnerable to the small arms fire of teammates who didn't choose dedicated anti-tank options without them needing to score precision shots while under devastator rocket fire or position around to an enemy's back to empty several mags into its weakpoint before accomplishing anything.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My experience is 100% with matchmaking groups so yeah I can't speak for how a consistent teammate's loadouts affects your loadouts. But in the vacuum of matchmaking level 8-9 bug matches the artillery bugs are the ones I see causing the most deaths. Bile titans always get blown up with orbitals right away, and chargers are literally like 3 or 4 grenades to the rear end to kill, which takes less time to fire than it does to charge up a single railgun shot.

It's possible that people who are brave enough to do level 8-9 matchmaking groups are just better than average players which makes the bugs overall pretty easy, because I only hear people who play with premades and use lots of railguns talking about the difficulty of bugs. Every matchmaking group wipes the floor with them and even before the patch I'd say railguns were fairly uncommon in them.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 7, 2024

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Today I achieved my first kill of the entire team with a single strike. I threw an eagle strike beacon in the direction of a charger and it landed exactly on top of the charger and stuck to it's shell like glue(I didn't even know that was possible). It charged us with the beacon still attached and the airstrike landed on all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

My experience is 100% with matchmaking groups so yeah I can't speak for how a consistent teammate's loadouts affects your loadouts. But in the vacuum of matchmaking level 8-9 bug matches the artillery bugs are the ones I see causing the most deaths. Bile titans always get blown up with orbitals right away, and chargers are literally like 3 grenades to the rear end to kill, which takes less time to fire than it does to charge up a single railgun shot.

In the rando group I mentioned upthread that's why one of the players was using the AC. He just deleted those big green whenever they appeared even at range. Missing those made everything else much lower pressure without the artillery coming in. That and charger asses. The AC is a solid swiss army knife as long as someone has harder Anti Armor like an EAT or railgun to make up the difference on a charger leg and such. Grenade launcher is great in that job as well.