Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Vegetable posted:

This thread is preoccupied with what the actresses think. Multiple pages of inane poo poo like “I bet she regrets starring in this instead of Dune” or “I bet she wishes she got a superhero movie earlier.” I doubt it’s deliberate but you don’t see the same type of discussion about male-led bombs.

Jared Leto can gently caress off and stay that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vegetable posted:

This thread is preoccupied with what the actresses think. Multiple pages of inane poo poo like “I bet she regrets starring in this instead of Dune” or “I bet she wishes she got a superhero movie earlier.” I doubt it’s deliberate but you don’t see the same type of discussion about male-led bombs.

I’m sorry people weren’t nice enough to Jared Leto after Morbius for you.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Vegetable posted:

Lol, I love this subforum.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vegetable posted:

I’m not sure why you think this but no? This movie did nothing for her star power.

The movie not so much but the press around it, yes. Was more just seeing all of the talk about her in the last two weeks, and then even more after the SNL appearance, but looking at Google Trends right now her name is peaking a little lower now than at the release of Anyone But You so some of that was just twitter bias. But her name is in the air more now than at the peak of Euphoria which is interesting to see.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Is star power measured in watts or litres

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blood Boils posted:

Is star power measured in watts or litres

lumens, obviously

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vegetable posted:

But you see that all the time? You know, all those planted stories about how an actor turned a role in a smash hit for a role in a bomb? Like how Will Smith turned down the Matrix for Wild Wild West because The Matrix didn't want him to rap the theme song, Connery doing LXG instead of LotR or Bill Murray doing Garfield because he was thinking of the wrong Coens.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the idea that the cast did not do their due diligence about this not being MCU is a joke. it’s ridiculous to think that someone in the movies is less au fait than the children who watch these things

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

well why not posted:

the idea that the cast did not do their due diligence about this not being MCU is a joke. it’s ridiculous to think that someone in the movies is less au fait than the children who watch these things
tbh I think it's very possible that Sony actually believed they were getting the go-ahead to link these movies to the MCU and then had to walk it all back. It would line up a lot with the whole "editing the movie so Peter Parker isn't a factor" thing.

And of course if that was their intention they would have been pitching it to the actors based on that best case

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

well why not posted:

It’s really not. Lots of actors don’t give a poo poo about nerd stuff and show up to do their work and then go home.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I remember hearing a story from Darren Lynn boseman on a podcast when he directed spiral where he talked working with Sam Jackson. Jackson doesn’t meet with the director until he walks on set. He doesn’t sit and have convos about anything other than “tell me what you want to do”

Apparently he Jackson got mad at him for coming into his trailer before he showed up on set.

Maybe this isn’t true or maybe it’s because DLB stinks but still.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I love the story about Fairuza Balk asking Marlon Brando for advice on the set of Moreau and him being like, "Oh, I don't know, I haven't read the script. But you're lovely, you'll be fine!"

There are lots of wacky Brando stories, really.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

well why not posted:

Why would actors need to know about the intricacies of which studio holds the right to which parts of which IP?

Their job is to:
a) Show up on time
b) Remember their lines
c) Act (preferably well)
d) Plug the film on talkshows and the like

Anything more than that is beyond their ken

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bringing up again that Goop didn’t know she was in Spider-Man homecoming.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why would actors need to know about the intricacies of which studio holds the right to which parts of which IP?

Their job is to:
a) Show up on time
b) Remember their lines
c) Act (preferably well)

There are a number of reasons. Like, do they want to maintain a certain image, or avoid getting typecasted? Are they interested in a multi-film deal? Are they interested in a multi-film deal that isn't, like, the Sharknado franchise?

Nobody is going to ask for a sequel to Madame Web. If you agree to star in Madame Web because you were led to believe you're getting more roles, you have been hosed over.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Martman posted:

tbh I think it's very possible that Sony actually believed they were getting the go-ahead to link these movies to the MCU and then had to walk it all back. It would line up a lot with the whole "editing the movie so Peter Parker isn't a factor" thing.

And of course if that was their intention they would have been pitching it to the actors based on that best case

Yeah Johnson has been very explicit that the movie she signed on for is not the movie that got made. I'm not sure why people keep insisting these women must be dumb. Sony misrepresented the project to them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Their job is to:
a) Show up on time
b) Remember their lines
c) Act (preferably well)

Not really. They have agents to make sure they don’t make a disgraceful choice. Agents who know these “intricacies” (is a movie by x studio is hardly intricate) as a profession.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Bringing up again that Goop didn’t know she was in Spider-Man homecoming.

She says. Via goop, she says a lot of things.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

well why not posted:

Not really. They have agents to make sure they don’t make a disgraceful choice. Agents who know these “intricacies” (is a movie by x studio is hardly intricate) as a profession.

Sony has made movies that are part of the MCU.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Agents can also be idiots too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Grendels Dad posted:

If you agree to star in Madame Web because you were led to believe you're getting more roles, you have been hosed over.
That's true. However, that's not what happened here. The actors who appeared in Madame Web agreed to do so because they were paid, with money. Making several million dollars to appear in a lovely movie is a successful venture. Nobody is owed a media career, and getting one prestigious role after another is not, like, the natural state of an actor. Profiting a few million dollars when you expected to profit tens of millions is not a tort or a tragedy.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 7, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Madame Web is part of the MCU.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CelticPredator posted:

Agents can also be idiots too.

Also literally the week the trailer dropped Johnson fired her agent and jumped agencies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lid posted:

Also literally the week the trailer dropped Johnson fired her agent and jumped agencies.

Halloween Jack posted:

That's true. However, that's not what happened here.

:hmmyes:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A lot of actors are dumb dude. Not all of them are nerdy enough to care about anything other than their job. And agents are also dumb, not understanding what is a good idea for their client.

Any person with a brain would know to not take a job making a movie of a d list superhero character from the studio who made Morbius. But yet here we are.

Venom worked because Venom is a pretty popular character and Tom Hardy had passion to do it. He didn’t show up to get a paycheck.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I'm not saying Dakota Johnson doesn't think she got hosed over. It's just that she wasn't. A few million dollars is a lot of money.

CelticPredator posted:

Any person with a brain would know to not take a job making a movie of a d list superhero character from the studio who made Morbius. But yet here we are.
You wouldn't take a multimillion dollar paycheck to star in Darkhawk? Are you already independently wealthy?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 7, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not saying Dakota Johnson doesn't think she got hosed over. It's just that she wasn't. A few million dollars is a lot of money.

If you are promised one thing and then given a different thing of much lesser value, you got hosed over.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly thinking on it probably no one promised anything except that it’s a marvel movie.

A lot of people don’t know the different licenses if they’re not plugged in. So these people get a gig working on a marvel movie…they’re gonna think they’re making a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie.

It’s why Matt smith called Karen Gillen because he thought this poo poo was all the same and not something wildly different

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I don't really see that it's better to have been Kingo or a side character in Black Widow than to have been in Madame Web. The crux is that you want your agent to put you in films that make lots of money and have lots of sequels, quibbling over nerd universe stuff is entirely tangential. It's how people end up in Terminator sequels.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well with Kingo idk that movie just didn’t work. But Yelena of Black Widow went on to be a fan favorite character and I think some of the other cast members are showing up in thunderbolts. So there’s a pretty big difference there

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I dont think I can buy that "Yelena Belova" is a better career move than "Madame Web".

Also it should be illegal to name your character "Youregonna Loveher".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shes a popular MCU character. She’s been in one of the spin of shows and is going to lead the thunderbolts

That’s a pretty good career move for an already cool and popular actor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

josh04 posted:

I dont think I can buy that "Yelena Belova" is a better career move than "Madame Web".

Also it should be illegal to name your character "Youregonna Loveher".
Dearly Belovad, we are gathered here today...

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I am asking for a sequel to Madame Web

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

josh04 posted:

I don't really see that it's better to have been Kingo or a side character in Black Widow than to have been in Madame Web. The crux is that you want your agent to put you in films that make lots of money and have lots of sequels, quibbling over nerd universe stuff is entirely tangential. It's how people end up in Terminator sequels.

Well def not Kingo considering Khumail has been pretty open about the self inflicted body dismorphia and eating disorders he got from making the film.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

There are a number of reasons. Like, do they want to maintain a certain image, or avoid getting typecasted? Are they interested in a multi-film deal? Are they interested in a multi-film deal that isn't, like, the Sharknado franchise?

Nobody is going to ask for a sequel to Madame Web. If you agree to star in Madame Web because you were led to believe you're getting more roles, you have been hosed over.

"Hey Jenny Agenton, Sony here, we got this movie we'd love for your client to star in, it's gonna be total dogshit that's going no where and has the potential to stall your clients career"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

A lot of actors are dumb dude. Not all of them are nerdy enough to care about anything other than their job. And agents are also dumb, not understanding what is a good idea for their client.

Venom worked because Venom is a pretty popular character and Tom Hardy had passion to do it. He didn’t show up to get a paycheck.

Actors are generally pretty dumb, but they'd be right to dismiss nerds' ABC rating of the comic book characters as influencing reception of a given movie. Initial box office has more to do with advertising, majority reviews with appeals to nostalgia/sensibility and so on. There are plenty of successful and influential movies that feature bad acting or cast & crew who were just punching a clock, and the reverse is just as true; fantastic craft by passionate people that is totally unseen!

Venom wasn't decent because of Care Levels, but because the character was fun and the story was solid. Hardy definitely has some name draw, but he didn't write the script or edit, and he's been in plenty of "bombs". There's no guarantees

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If we’re measuring care, think about Sidney Sweeney’s story about lobbying hard to get more Spider-Woman action in this spiderwomen movie only for it to get cut out of the theatrical release.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I can totally see the logic behind taking the role as a non comic fan that says - "I never knew who half these characters they're making movies about these days were but nonetheless some of them are making millions and getting multiple sequels so, I guess I'll play Adam Webb or whoever the gently caress". especially if you're signing on directly after the release and decent success of stuff like Captain Marvel.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Blood Boils posted:

Venom wasn't decent because of Care Levels, but because the character was fun and the story was solid. Hardy definitely has some name draw, but he didn't write the script or edit, and he's been in plenty of "bombs". There's no guarantees

There's no guarantees, yeah, but not caring about the movie/treating it as a product makes it near-certain it's going to fail.

The idea that someone could get a script with a "fun character and solid story" that they absolutely didn't give a poo poo about and make a good movie out of it...well that doesn't pass the smell test, to me personally. The "One for the Studio, One for Myself" movies are a great study on this.