Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Len posted:

the last new Columbo special was in 2003

Yeah, that gap just reached drinking age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Obscure celebrities like Johnny Cash, Vincent Price, William Shatner, and Dick van Dyke are all murders on Colombo.

My favorite is Leslie Nielsen.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's even an episode of SVU that not only has Robin Williams as the guest star (they at least tell you ASAP he's the rapist/killer), but they managed to even work in him doing some of his schtick.

They are checking his alibi, and he set up burner phones with fake numbers, so they called the "diner" he said he was waiting at, and it was Williams doing his Southern Diner Waitress voice.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's even an episode of SVU that not only has Robin Williams as the guest star (they at least tell you ASAP he's the rapist/killer), but they managed to even work in him doing some of his schtick.

They are checking his alibi, and he set up burner phones with fake numbers, so they called the "diner" he said he was waiting at, and it was Williams doing his Southern Diner Waitress voice.

And the “screams” from olivia being tortured at the end were just Robin williams screaming as well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Obscure celebrities like Johnny Cash, Vincent Price, William Shatner, and Dick van Dyke are all murders on Colombo.

It also ran up to the early 2000s. The last ever Columbo antagonist is Matthew Rhys of The Americans fame.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DrBouvenstein posted:

Robin Williams... they managed to even work in him doing some of his schtick.

Gotta be better than letting Dennis Leary do his thing in DEMOLITION MAN :o:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It also ran up to the early 2000s. The last ever Columbo antagonist is Matthew Rhys of The Americans fame.

One episode a year on average from 1990 to 2003 lol

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Aquaman 2 has a really bizarre plot where Black Manta is causing global warming to be worse because he's trying to melt some ice in the arctic in order to free an ancient bad guy who is promising him power. Except then also melting the ice won't free him and they need the blood of the royal family in order to break a curse?

For once, I would love to see a film play with the "We need someone with the blood of the person who sealed away the ancient evil 10,000 years ago" and they just try their own blood because, hey, SOMEONE in the group is probably related to them, it's been longer than recorded history.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

500excf type r posted:

Colombo is good as hell but lol if you can identify anyone other than Peter falk and pay full price for your coffee at the diner

I spotted Patrick McGoohan all three or four times he was the murderer.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mauser posted:

I spotted Patrick McGoohan all three or four times he was the murderer.

I thought his number was 6?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

500excf type r posted:

One episode a year on average from 1990 to 2003 lol

It’s really a series of TV movies more than a show.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I haven't seen the later Columbo specials, might have to remedy that. I see Billy Connolly is listed as a guest murderer.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

bitterandtwisted posted:

I haven't seen the later Columbo specials, might have to remedy that. I see Billy Connolly is listed as a guest murderer.

The later ones are generally not as good tbh. 1994's "Undercover" is maybe the nadir of the entire run. I appreciate Falk for continuing doing them into his 70s but he probably shouldn't have.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Bk. posted:

The Night Comes for Us

A character named Bob is occasionally called Bobby in the subs when the characters are clearly saying Bob.

At the same time "White Boy Bobby" is one of the greatest character names of all time, it just has a rhythm to it

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

the flip side of that is then you have people going online to complain about the villain being some rando that never showed up before and how that's lame and bad
Oh yeah, don't do that in a whodunit but for some pissant procedural show where the big twist is "the guy with one line who you sort of recognise from somewhere did it" we're not losing much.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Pilchenstein posted:

I guess it's a screenwriting rule or some poo poo but I am irrationally irritated that the guy who did it always has to be someone the audience saw earlier so they can go "holy poo poo, it's that guy who had twenty seconds of pointless screen time" or whatever. Who gives a gently caress, just have the villain be someone we don't know if you couldn't be arsed to write a whole role for them.

I was watching Elementary and in one episode they have a doctor walk into the victim's hospital room, deliver one line about how he hopes they catch the bastard, then walk back out not to be seen again until the end when he's been revealed as the attacker. It was like the writers forgot to introduce the character so they scribbled it on page two of the script as final drafts went out.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

For once, I would love to see a film play with the "We need someone with the blood of the person who sealed away the ancient evil 10,000 years ago" and they just try their own blood because, hey, SOMEONE in the group is probably related to them, it's been longer than recorded history.

Reminds me of that small bit in Pirates where they need some blood, and the girl is freaking out thinking they're going to slash her throat, and they pinprick her finger instead. "Waste not!"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Reminds me of that small bit in Pirates where they need some blood, and the girl is freaking out thinking they're going to slash her throat, and they pinprick her finger instead. "Waste not!"
To be fair, they absolutely allow for way more blood if/when it doesn't work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mycot posted:

Columbo is actually weirdly famous in Japan.

Apparently Japan already had a tradition of detective stories where the killer is already known to the audience and the suspense is in how they're caught, so Columbo fit right in.

I think Garak would be a fan.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

I like the opposite of this. There's a few Scottish independent movies that have been released with subtitles due to very thick accents, colloquialisms, and slang and the subtitles clean up the swearing massively. It's great hearing what the characters say vs what the subtitles are saying they're saying.

Subtitles have been getting weird the last few years. If they are using text to speech for cheap transcription (like youtube) they will get lots of homophones wrong, and that's understandable. But lately there seem to be more where they substitute a bunch of synonyms. How does that happen? Not just swears, random words. Why? How?

An irrationally irritating one was the Scottish show Case Histories, staring Jason Issacs, where a bunch of perfectly intelligible sentences were subtitled [unintelligible]. I'm Canadian so it isn't like the accent is native to me and there were a few things I didn't catch (hence watching with subtitles) but it was ridiculous how much they said was unintelligible. Did they farm out transcription to a country that doesn't understand Scottish accents?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cowslips Warren posted:

Which Pirates movie are we talking here

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently Japan already had a tradition of detective stories where the killer is already known to the audience and the suspense is in how they're caught, so Columbo fit right in.

I think Garak would be a fan.
In a similar vein, I really liked Boston Legal because you always knew they were going to win these impossible cases; the fun was finding out how.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Randalor posted:

And it doesn’t work. The big bad promises not to kill the antagonist cause of that but they do realize it will be a very large portion of the human population that a big bad looking to scour all the descendants of their jailer is gonna wipe out.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Morpheus posted:

Which Pirates movie are we talking here
The first Pirates of the Caribbean movie

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Did they farm out transcription to a country that doesn't understand Scottish accents?

I remember when I was working in the Philippines, the Filipinos all had a lot of trouble understanding me and my Aussie mates, but none with any of my Peace Core mates. To me, like I could hear the accent but both were completely as easy to understand as each other and I didn't think anyone had that strong an accent but :shrug:

(a lot of my Aussie mates ended up putting on slight American accents. It worked.)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

dr_rat posted:

I remember when I was working in the Philippines, the Filipinos all had a lot of trouble understanding me and my Aussie mates, but none with any of my Peace Core mates. To me, like I could hear the accent but both were completely as easy to understand as each other and I didn't think anyone had that strong an accent but :shrug:

(a lot of my Aussie mates ended up putting on slight American accents. It worked.)

When I was in peace corps, a lot of the anglophone African folks had an impossible time understanding our American accents because they all were more familiar with British English and had their own accent, so the easy correction was to enunciate more clearly and pronounce the "t"s in words like little as a t sound. People have a really hard time when pronunciation is different from what they've heard.

My iimm for Shogun, which I am really enjoying, is that the main character has these horrible contacts that make his eyes blue and are very obviously contacts. I don't really remember if this was some sort of critical feature of the character from the book, but it really didn't need to be done.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In Man of Steel Superman does a ton of collateral damage in the city in the final fight. So much so that in Batman vs Superman it's used as the reason Bruce Wayne hates him at first. I know they become friends at the end but, does Superman ever comment on it or do anything to make up for all the people he got killed in that fight? Does he say anything on the matter at all?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mauser posted:

When I was in peace corps, a lot of the anglophone African folks had an impossible time understanding our American accents because they all were more familiar with British English and had their own accent, so the easy correction was to enunciate more clearly and pronounce the "t"s in words like little as a t sound. People have a really hard time when pronunciation is different from what they've heard.

My iimm for Shogun, which I am really enjoying, is that the main character has these horrible contacts that make his eyes blue and are very obviously contacts. I don't really remember if this was some sort of critical feature of the character from the book, but it really didn't need to be done.

The book readers in the Shogun thread say it’s to contrast him with the Iberian characters.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cowslips Warren posted:

This is immediately what I thought of as well, it's a great bait and switch because c'mon, obviously they're gonna sacrifice her with all this setup. Elizabeth is almost indignant after the fact once she realizes what's going on.

(The IIMM in this scene is that the cut is across the inside of the palm, which always drives me crazy. A bit more forgivable here because they're the villains, but don't loving do that!!)

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Shard posted:

In Man of Steel Superman does a ton of collateral damage in the city in the final fight. So much so that in Batman vs Superman it's used as the reason Bruce Wayne hates him at first. I know they become friends at the end but, does Superman ever comment on it or do anything to make up for all the people he got killed in that fight? Does he say anything on the matter at all?
I believe the implication in BvS was that everyone was divided. They thought of him as enough of a hero that they put up a giant statue of him at the memorial, but they also were calling on him to testify to congress about the justifications for his actions. When he finally did show, Lex bombed him and congress. So I don't think he ever got a chance to tell his side. Unless there is a newspaper headline or something that alludes to it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zero_Grade posted:

This is immediately what I thought of as well, it's a great bait and switch because c'mon, obviously they're gonna sacrifice her with all this setup. Elizabeth is almost indignant after the fact once she realizes what's going on.

(The IIMM in this scene is that the cut is across the inside of the palm, which always drives me crazy. A bit more forgivable here because they're the villains, but don't loving do that!!)

Now that you mention it, in Star Trek: DS9, whenever Klingons meet and want to prove they're not Changelings, that's their go-to: slice open the palm. First, you're not going to be able to hold a d'k tahg much longer in that hand if you keep severing ligaments and tendons. Second, shouldn't they all have permanently bandaged hands on both arms from continually proving they aren't Changelings?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
It's just so make up doesn't have to do much going forward. Same as every moron writing a phone number on the palm.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Admiralty Flag posted:

Now that you mention it, in Star Trek: DS9, whenever Klingons meet and want to prove they're not Changelings, that's their go-to: slice open the palm. First, you're not going to be able to hold a d'k tahg much longer in that hand if you keep severing ligaments and tendons. Second, shouldn't they all have permanently bandaged hands on both arms from continually proving they aren't Changelings?

The klingons and Federation have been cordial enough in their relations by the time of DS9 that I could see the Federarion having given them the technology they use for fixing cuts.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Randalor posted:

The klingons and Federation have been cordial enough in their relations by the time of DS9 that I could see the Federarion having given them the technology they use for fixing cuts.
Why didn't they just make some kind of scanner to detect changelings? No need to cut anything.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

And what if the scanner that was delivered was a changeling? What then?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ommin posted:

Why didn't they just make some kind of scanner to detect changelings? No need to cut anything.

oldpainless posted:

Sisko's dad spotted the flaw in the way they tested for changlings as soon as Sisko told him. The Klingon that figured out this method was a Changeling that just used the general he was replacing as a blood bank. Just suck out some blood and store it in your hand before a meeting.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

oldpainless posted:

I'm not familiar with them, can changelings be anything; like a mimic? I just assumed they were humanoid.

Randalor posted:

The Klingon that figured out this method was a Changeling that just used the general he was replacing as a blood bank. Just suck out some blood and store it in your hand before a meeting.
Well whatever they are, that's just rude.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ommin posted:

I'm not familiar with them, can changelings be anything; like a mimic? I just assumed they were humanoid.

Well whatever they are, that's just rude.

They can turn into literally anything but because it just mimics if you remove a part it turns back into goo, which is why the Federation went with the blood test.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

One would think that some step of the "beam me up" process would detect something off about the subject as it scans then atomically de-/re-constructs them but I'm sure "just run them through the transporter lol" was too easy an out for the writers.

Or, true to the transporter, it would gently caress up and make even evil-er clones of the changelings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

I mean, usually the act is to seal an ancient evil pact, unlock an evil ritual or some sort, so crippling yourself to prove your devotion is the point.