Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I had to give up on that Mind Flayer fight too because after a while it starts using Psychotic Break to one-shot your team. I could have gone back in with Raise but I got tired of plinking away at that dumptruck’s worth of HP with no means to pressure it after my Synergies were used up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I love Cait's animations, just full of joy.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So Strength Up Materia says it has a cap of +100% but one orb at max level only gives +25% and I've only located the one, has anyone found more or is that like a hard mode thing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I had to give up on that Mind Flayer fight too because after a while it starts using Psychotic Break to one-shot your team. I could have gone back in with Raise but I got tired of plinking away at that dumptruck’s worth of HP with no means to pressure it after my Synergies were used up

It always uses Telekinesis before Psychotic Break and you can hide behind the rocks it throws. The AI is programmed to do this but if they mess up for any reason you can just use the defensive Synergy commands to drag them behind the rock with you.

You can use Synergies more than once, it just raises the basic cost of using them. If you use characters who build ATB quickly like Tifa and Barret they can launch Synergy attacks very easily.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Is this game an RPG or a "ruin everyone's vacation by flipping over everyones plants and tables riding the segway at Costa Del Soul" simulator, because right now I could go either way

I said it before but this game's complete and utter dedication to idiotic and overdone physics is one of its greatest charms.

e: omg I know I'm behind most people but the sheer loving disrespect of making the pirate ship shooting game using the hard to pull trigger is huge gently caress You energy. I got the max win after a few tries but I literally don't think I could have done it again if I failed, lol. I can't remember the last time that sheer physical ability pressing the buttons was the deciding factor of a game. Well, I can. loving Mario Party 3 on the SNES when you would go home after a game with hosed up hands for days after. Same vibe.

I'm riding around costa del soul on a segway ruining everyone's vacations and destroying every merchant's stall shouting ANITA MAX WYNNNNN on these minigames fam anita max wynnnnnn. Incredible disrespect going down right now in costa on all levels. It's basically Cabo at this point with how much I've ruined every single person's vacation in a drunken segway rage trying to get the max win

If you don't know whats up with Max Wynn then this 17 second video is all you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50f-zYortkU

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 7, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ImpAtom posted:

It always uses Telekinesis before Psychotic Break and you can hide behind the rocks it throws.

lmao I saw those rocks and immediately got ff14 raid flashbacks

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Seriously, the segways are a public safety hazard. Those fuckers go way too fast.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
To anyone having trouble with Alexander:
Having Yuffie and Aerith in your party gives you access to Foxflame which, if you have the lightning ninjutsu activated, wrecks one of Alexander's legs in three hits.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't fought Alexander yet, but if he's weak to lightning then Plasma Discharge + Mug is just constant explosions.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Jimbot posted:

It's not a case of me not blocking more. It's a case of the AI not blocking and dodging. The mind flayer's attacks hit like trucks. The lightning attack would two-shot them. Like I said, with Aerith I could hide behind the wards because the AI didn't know how to handle them but she did very little damage to the thing. Like the orb of discord? or whatever just bodied AI Cloud despite blocking it and having a ton of HP. Honestly, I really don't care to flex that I spent a hour and beat a level 40 fight 8 levels below it. I'll just go back later on and beat it in a few minutes with higher level characters.

ImpAtom posted:

It always uses Telekinesis before Psychotic Break and you can hide behind the rocks it throws. The AI is programmed to do this but if they mess up for any reason you can just use the defensive Synergy commands to drag them behind the rock with you.

You can use Synergies more than once, it just raises the basic cost of using them. If you use characters who build ATB quickly like Tifa and Barret they can launch Synergy attacks very easily.
I've never had a problem with the AI not blocking and dodging, so that's a shame. Generally, the AI is really good at both, and is kinda only good at those two things. I've also never had the AI mess up Psychotic Break, and in fact learned to line-of-sight the attack from them when I ran into the Mindflayer in Junon region. The Mindflayer tends to do a series of warm-up melee attacks that are very easy to Punisher auto-counter, and everything else he does you can either Counterfire for immunity or hide behind the rock (so Psychotic Break doesn't kill you).

For what it's worth, I don't think beating that fight is a flex, nor do I think coming back later is somehow not a valid thing to do. You posted about having tried it and being unable to do it, so I posted what I did to complete it. This wasn't some kind of intended dunk, or whatever.

HD DAD posted:

Seriously, the segways are a public safety hazard. Those fuckers go way too fast.
The handling seems deliberately built for comedy and not for driveability. Every time I think to make a turn, I will make a 90-degree homicidal charge at the nearest pedestrian entirely by accident

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I've never had a problem with the AI not blocking and dodging, so that's a shame. Generally, the AI is really good at both, and is kinda only good at those two things. I've also never had the AI mess up Psychotic Break, and in fact learned to line-of-sight the attack from them when I ran into the Mindflayer in Junon region. The Mindflayer tends to do a series of warm-up melee attacks that are very easy to Punisher auto-counter, and everything else he does you can either Counterfire for immunity or hide behind the rock (so Psychotic Break doesn't kill you).

For what it's worth, I don't think beating that fight is a flex, nor do I think coming back later is somehow not a valid thing to do. You posted about having tried it and being unable to do it, so I posted what I did to complete it. This wasn't some kind of intended dunk, or whatever.

The handling seems deliberately built for comedy and not for driveability. Every time I think to make a turn, I will make a 90-degree homicidal charge at the nearest pedestrian entirely by accident

I never had the AI mess up on the standard fight but there's an arena fight later with a Mindflayer and two other enemies and have had the two other enemies throw off the AI if they hit them with an attack at the right moment.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I never had the AI mess up on the standard fight but there's an arena fight later with a Mindflayer and two other enemies and have had the two other enemies throw off the AI if they hit them with an attack at the right moment.
If you're referring to the "kill the Mindflayer first and avoid the Deafening Screeches" fight, I wound up doing that with just Cloud and Barret, because my setups are such that I didn't want to unequip all of my Auto materia and the AI were killing the screechers way too fast. I can see where the AI might get goofed up if you bring all three people, since there's more variables and opportunities for it to hang up on "wait, do I go behind the rock, or do I not get Screeched, help, oh god"

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
instant fight or flight response

https://i.imgur.com/zDgN0GI.mp4

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Namnesor posted:

instant fight or flight response

https://i.imgur.com/zDgN0GI.mp4

lol yep

I tried this a few times and gave up. I'm sure it can be done but I can't imagine how

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

lol yep

I tried this a few times and gave up. I'm sure it can be done but I can't imagine how

did it on my first try but only noticed afterward that I had barely enough HP left for a newborn kitten

I just dove right in with triple slash and kept hacking away like a maniac. they’re so fragile that just killing two or three early on will help your chances a lot

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

yeah I just did that fight and basically just mashed dodge and attack the whole time. avoiding the hits is the most important thing and then they’ll just start dropping real fast

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Cloud's AOE spin in Operator mode absolutely shreds Cactuars, but remember to Assess them, because your next opportunity isn't for a hot minute

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Man chocobo gliding sucks rear end really not a fan

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

guts and bolts posted:

I specifically chose to only drive a Segway in Costa del Sol for this reason. The comedy of Cloud bumbling his way around a resort town overshadowed any frustration I had

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Aphrodite posted:

I haven't fought Alexander yet, but if he's weak to lightning then Plasma Discharge + Mug is just constant explosions.

Mug is for closing the distance, Brunal Form is for generating explosions

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

HD DAD posted:

If they didn't want me to knock down everyone's tables and drag a chair with me for 100 meters, they wouldn't have made the handling so loving bad.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

why are Aerith and Tifa so excited about the birds

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cosmo Canyon: Oh christ this entire loving town is full of doomers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Cosmo Canyon: Oh christ this entire loving town is full of doomers

I mean does it really count as Doomer when "Grandma has been turned into a AAA battery" is provable fact?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I mean does it really count as Doomer when "Grandma has been turned into a AAA battery" is provable fact?

Mainly reacting to the conversations with Barret and Cait right before the festival where they talk about the people being fatalist and leaving it all to the Planet's Will

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also Bugenhagen is super condescending, it's not the vibe I got from him at all in the original but I'm not complaining

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Mai please stfu. Chadley why would you make a android even you don't like

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok now my new favorite thing is how when you're returning the segways, the whole time there's a couple of random ladies who keep going "Is this what gets johnny's boner chugging? Does he only dick down girls who return the segways?" the entire time :discourse:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

the auto-fill notes in the piano mini game are starting to really gently caress me up

Two Legs? An Awful Lot To It, Actually

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gologle posted:

Mai please stfu. Chadley why would you make a android even you don't like

do you think God stays in Heaven because he too fears what he has created?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

the auto-fill notes in the piano mini game are starting to really gently caress me up

The timing for correct hits for Aerith's theme seems really inconsistent in particular. Like sometimes it's just before the note hits, and others it's exactly when it does. I had to try it like three times to get an A when I didn't have as much of a problem before.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I noticed when doing the chocobo theme that there seem to be extremely faint “ghost” notes on the piano chart that show the notes that the game isn’t requiring you to play. Not sure what the point of those is tho because like you really need to be looking closely to notice them.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 7, 2024

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

triple sulk posted:

The timing for correct hits for Aerith's theme seems really inconsistent in particular. Like sometimes it's just before the note hits, and others it's exactly when it does. I had to try it like three times to get an A when I didn't have as much of a problem before.
I have the pathology of needing to get all the ☆ ratings, and Two Legs took me... a while

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I have the pathology of needing to get all the ☆ ratings, and Two Legs took me... a while

Two Legs? Nothing to it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Tifa's questions of "Does energy really get destroyed, and not just transition into a different state?" and "is it possible the remaining lifestream could be strengthened?" being met with, "Those are interesting theories... for a loving moron. Stop asking questions and go to a seminar." was kinda surprising from Orb Grandpa. Though like every other character, they're fleshing him out more in this.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Two Legs? Nothing to it.

guts and bolts posted:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gruckles posted:

Tifa's questions of "Does energy really get destroyed, and not just transition into a different state?" and "is it possible the remaining lifestream could be strengthened?" being met with, "Those are interesting theories... for a loving moron. Stop asking questions and go to a seminar." was kinda surprising from Orb Grandpa. Though like every other character, they're fleshing him out more in this.

Neither his planetarium show or the seminar even answer her questions...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Taima posted:

Ok now my new favorite thing is how when you're returning the segways, the whole time there's a couple of random ladies who keep going "Is this what gets johnny's boner chugging? Does he only dick down girls who return the segways?" the entire time :discourse:

Did you miss the first stage of that quest?
It's one girl, whose job you're doing, who has the hots for Johnny

She spends a lot of time ragging on Tifa at the start

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
the segway’s are so great, I like that they even let you read notes while smashing about the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

the segway’s are so great, I like that they even let you read notes while smashing about the place

Hey look! That's the Wheelie master!