Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am curious if the quirks are fully randomly generated or if they're preset things that have specific conditions that will cause your car to "develop" them. It seems like a lot of people seem to get a few very specific combinations (the "put the car in park, front passenger door opens" one seems to be really common). I suppose it might be something like once your car has developed a quirk at random, it gets added to a list of quirks which are given higher odds of appearing again which is why the same quirks seem to keep coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Cheshire Cat posted:

or if they're preset things that have specific conditions that will cause your car to "develop" them.

The gameplay menu suggests it's this, but that with the default setting they have a chance to develop them.

I've got a bit tired of the gameplay loop before getting to the deep zone. It feels like there's too much farming of materials involved and it's too onerous to do because even with shortcuts I've got to go through several zones to get there. And even the shortcuts aren't a shortcut because there's always the bit on the road you have to do.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

No Mods No Masters posted:

Once you get the upgrades that let you pay lim to confirm a quirk category you can just savescum to learn them all. Granted this is not the path of honor

If you're like me and make a habit of collecting enough energy in the outer zone to guarantee extraction upon reaching midzone you'll have a lot of spare stable energy to diagnose.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’ve gotten a little happier with the gameplay loop when I stopped thinking of it as looting the map and more as mining resource nodes. It’s less about missing something and more about picking where to spend my time. Actual game-changing loot (starred peculiar) like Diablo, Borderlands, Dying Light etc is rare and short-lived and even ‘common’ items like scrappers are infrequent. I’m still happiest doing only one to three runs a day at most.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Once you get the upgrades that let you pay lim to confirm a quirk category you can just savescum to learn them all. Granted this is not the path of honor
Or you can just turn on the accessibility setting that makes diagnosis free.

I did this because I really could not figure out what was going on with some of these. I had five quirks and nothing visibly wrong with my car. I figured it wasn't really cheating 'cause it wasn't like there was an actual problem I was bypassing, I was just curious.

It still took me like 20 minutes to figure out. Even knowing what five things exactly trigged an issue, and what five things exactly could be wrong, it took ages and some raw guessing at the end to match them together. Quirks can be pretty subtle.

Things like "closing the hood increases the volume of the radio," are next to impossible to figure out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I would love wholly random quirks but certain ones seem to be extremely common above all others, even across many different players. I'm sure most people in this thread have probably had at least one of:
  • Shifting to park opens passenger door
  • Turning dims the headlights
  • Opening/closing trunk/hood opens the other
  • Hood opens when reversing
  • Wipers cause fuel gauge to fail
So there must be some kind of preset weighting and I'm sure plenty of combinations that aren't even possible to get, but I wish they were all on the table.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think my game got bugged out somehow. I think as I was about to escape to the gateway I may have died or the car got automatically recalled. They both happened almost at the exact same time so I'm not sure. But when I get back to the garage, I am now running into a bug where even when I remove resources or items from my backpack or car trunk, they are still showing in there. I can't seem to find a way to get around this. It's keeping my inventory full. There's no way to revert to a previous save in this game, is there?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think my game got bugged out somehow. I think as I was about to escape to the gateway I may have died or the car got automatically recalled. They both happened almost at the exact same time so I'm not sure. But when I get back to the garage, I am now running into a bug where even when I remove resources or items from my backpack or car trunk, they are still showing in there. I can't seem to find a way to get around this. It's keeping my inventory full. There's no way to revert to a previous save in this game, is there?

Go to the save folder and check if there's backups. They added automatic backups per save slot in the latest update.
Not sure how you deal with steam's automatic sync though.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1458140/announcements/detail/4113546234714088138

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So has anyone run out of gas in the garage fuel pump? It is very slowly ticking down for me, but it is draining.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Crain posted:

So has anyone run out of gas in the garage fuel pump? It is very slowly ticking down for me, but it is draining.

When I upgraded to the fast pump, the gauge no longer showed full, but like 95% instead. But I don't think it's moved down in my several runs since then.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Crain posted:

When I added new tanks to my car and then filled up, it went down to like 95%, but hasn’t lowered since. Wild stab in the dark: I wonder if somehow there’s a bug with adding new capacity for the first time that makes your “infinite garage fuel” temporarily lower? It hasn’t budged since.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I picked this up this weekend, and I'm not sure if I like it. I'm only a couple of hours in so maybe things will change, but mostly, it's just the interface. Throw being hard coded to right mouse means that you can't use that for interact consistently, but using the keyboard for it sucks when you are in the car because you have to look around so much. It's also annoying that so much that you want quickly is a hold to interact like shifting gears which honestly really should have had a hotkey, more than the wipers and lights. Especially since the handbrake is optional and can't be "toggled" like a real car.

I would have complained more about the dricing model, but once I i beelined for the offload tyres, it's mostly fine, still can't get to a gateway before the storm though.

Otherwise, it's a pretty neat game, but honestly, the car doesn't actually feel important yet because all the resources collection and stuff happens outside it, so it's mostly there for short jumps between nodes, rather than a core thing, hoping that changes though or maybe I just have the wrong expectations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know why, but there's something soothing about being inside the car while it's being knocked about by a squall. I also learned that if you put the car in park, abductors can't really drag it very well. So I'm just sitting in my car and this thing is latched on, pulling as hard as it can, and then it just gives up.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
adore this drat game, I am so close to the end but I can't make myself finish it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is there a way to cancel a planned route and pick another, whether at the home base or out on the road? Selected a spot with extreme conditions and while I drove through pretty fast I took a ton of damage, leading to the profoundly unpleasant circumstance of trying to drive through perpetual night in the next zone without working headlights or means of repairing them. Had to track down two more stable orbs in complete darkness with only a few road flares then try to line up a reasonable escape path. Made it out but that was really not fun.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know why, but there's something soothing about being inside the car while it's being knocked about by a squall. I also learned that if you put the car in park, abductors can't really drag it very well. So I'm just sitting in my car and this thing is latched on, pulling as hard as it can, and then it just gives up.

Classic remnant brain imo

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eschatos posted:

Is there a way to cancel a planned route and pick another, whether at the home base or out on the road? Selected a spot with extreme conditions and while I drove through pretty fast I took a ton of damage, leading to the profoundly unpleasant circumstance of trying to drive through perpetual night in the next zone without working headlights or means of repairing them. Had to track down two more stable orbs in complete darkness with only a few road flares then try to line up a reasonable escape path. Made it out but that was really not fun.

You don't actually have to follow the planned route at all when out on the road - you can travel to any adjacent node to the one you're in, rather than needing to follow the planned route. There are some limitations here I don't fully understand, it seems like you always have to be moving towards a deeper area of the zone, so it doesn't allow you to "backtrack" even to a node you haven't visited yet, if the game considers it to be "closer" to the garage than the node you just left. Picking a destination just gives you information about the nodes along the way ahead of time, so if you go off route you won't know the conditions of the places you're visiting. You can also take a gateway home from any node that has them available (you can tell if a node has one if it has the white number in a blue circle next to it), you just need to have gathered enough energy to activate it. The only thing special about your planned destination is that it's guaranteed to be a node with a gateway, because it doesn't allow you to pick ones that don't. One word of warning is that while the route planner doesn't allow you to pick a destination you can't leave from, if you choose to go off-route while on the road there is no such restriction and you can end up trapping yourself with no choice but to abandon the run. The game will warn you with a big "DEAD END - DO NOT ENTER" indicator but it still allows you to travel there.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Hel posted:

but using the keyboard for it sucks when you are in the car because you have to look around so much. It's also annoying that so much that you want quickly is a hold to interact like shifting gears which honestly really should have had a hotkey, more than the wipers and lights. Especially since the handbrake is optional and can't be "toggled" like a real car.

I totally get this, but I will say there is a separate FOV slider for the car- I personally consider 105 a bare minimum for comfortable driving and increased it 5 at a time until I was happy. Made a huge difference for me. The game also handles swapping from m&k to gamepad pretty smoothly, if I’m planning a long drive I’ll grab the gamepad- but if I’m going to stop all the time I just stick to M&K now that I turn my head just about as much as I do IRL when I’m not on Federal or I-95.

Edit: I’m reading up on what racing sim fanatics consider a good i.e. realistic FOV and :lol:

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 7, 2024

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

I would love wholly random quirks but certain ones seem to be extremely common above all others, even across many different players. I'm sure most people in this thread have probably had at least one of:
  • Shifting to park opens passenger door
  • Turning dims the headlights
  • Opening/closing trunk/hood opens the other
  • Hood opens when reversing
  • Wipers cause fuel gauge to fail
So there must be some kind of preset weighting and I'm sure plenty of combinations that aren't even possible to get, but I wish they were all on the table.

Got the first two of those as well, I think the first two might just straight up be scripted. But most of the ones I have gotten since are ones that basically could only be randomly rolled they are so inconsequential. poo poo like the when the battery is full the wipers stick. Or when the radio is on the headlights (supposedly) get brighter. The only one I have gotten that was actually something I felt like I bothered to fix aside from the first two which was my back right door would open anytime I started to accelerate. I didn’t notice it somehow until I was in a run and it was so annoying I just pulled the back right door completely off and tossed it in the trunk.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

LordSloth posted:

I totally get this, but I will say there is a separate FOV slider for the car- I personally consider 105 a bare minimum for comfortable driving and increased it 5 at a time until I was happy. Made a huge difference for me. The game also handles swapping from m&k to gamepad pretty smoothly, if I’m planning a long drive I’ll grab the gamepad- but if I’m going to stop all the time I just stick to M&K now that I turn my head just about as much as I do IRL when I’m not on Federal or I-95.

Edit: I’m reading up on what racing sim fanatics consider a good i.e. realistic FOV and :lol
It's not really the FoV but that you have to look at most things to interact with them, hand having to do that with both mouse and keyboard while also using the keyboard ro drive is annoying, using right click for interact makes it work really good, but gives you bad muscle memory for on foot stuff. The controller defaults work the same, but looking around with a stick so much is really annoying, since you don't have same speed or precision. The shifter and ignition are placed so close that it has to be an intentional trap.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The FOV is also completely broken on Ultrawide, you need to set it to near max to be able to see more than a tiny narrow field vertically.
If you pick up a blueprint with the default FOV on ultrawide its completely in your face and you can't see any of the edges.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

FrickenMoron posted:

The FOV is also completely broken on Ultrawide, you need to set it to near max to be able to see more than a tiny narrow field vertically.
If you pick up a blueprint with the default FOV on ultrawide its completely in your face and you can't see any of the edges.
Pretty sure that's how it is on any resolution, the blueprint takes up the whole screen.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

turning the steering wheel whatever way is opposite of where it's dragging you is also a good way to slow things down while you scramble to park

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LordSloth posted:

I’ve gotten a little happier with the gameplay loop when I stopped thinking of it as looting the map and more as mining resource nodes. It’s less about missing something and more about picking where to spend my time. Actual game-changing loot (starred peculiar) like Diablo, Borderlands, Dying Light etc is rare and short-lived and even ‘common’ items like scrappers are infrequent. I’m still happiest doing only one to three runs a day at most.

I'd not even call 'peculiar' loot game-changing, actually. Nothing about the peculiar parts made me interested in using them, because I already have crafted parts that do the job. I might save a negligible number of materials by using the free Scrapper with 83 durability instead of building a new one with the full 300-something, but for parts I'm not going to slap an insulated panel with inferior durability on and replace my armored one for ablative reasons. That's just busy-work.

Blowtorches though? I'll go out of my way to loot those. Finding an early blowtorch IS game-changing.

It's definitely helpful to let go of some of the time pressure and not feel super sweaty about needing to strip-mine the whole map before you leave.

Cojawfee posted:

The hurricane squalls are strong enough to push your car. I definitely put the car in drive without turning it on and let the squall push me forward before. It's not fast, but it did make me want to put sails on my wagon.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I have totally had a squall straight throw me off a bridge in the mid-zone. Having never had it really do anything more than scoot me around and make it harder to turn, I thought it was safe, plus I was nearly to the edge of it so I just kept my pedal to the metal.

Needless to say I ended up using some putty and sealant after that while panicking about the pickpocket looming a couple hundred feet away

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
When looking at the map what do the threatening zones mean? Is it just multiple unpleasant zone modifiers or is the entire area a radiation hellbath of suffering and doom if you even try?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

When looking at the map what do the threatening zones mean? Is it just multiple unpleasant zone modifiers or is the entire area a radiation hellbath of suffering and doom if you even try?

Do you mean the ones surrounded by red and orange? I think it just means they have modifiers that make regular anomalies worse like aggressive abductors or electric things make your car speed up. And they also might have unstable or corrupted lim.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

bird food bathtub posted:

Are you talking about the orange splotches on the planning map? In those areas the instability storm will come quick, every time I've gone through one (twice...) it was a mad dash for the exit the minute I entered the junction. You can get through undamaged but you have to basically head straight for an exit.

Basically, you can pass through it at best, I wouldn't plan on any lingering for resources, and better still just avoid it altogether. My usual thing now is to do a few runs elsewhere while waiting for it to dissipate, usually takes 2-3 runs before it's stable again.

EDIT: You will usually see the modifier that means the instability storm is angry and fast in those zones, I don't know about other dangerous modifiers but that one is consistently true when I've scanned one on the planning map and/or gone through it.

Gomez Chamberlain fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 7, 2024

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
The big splotches always have a few negative zone modifiers and have the minimum amount of time before the storm starts to close. It closes in at regular speed though, not "you opened the gate" speed.

You're not going to be comfortably looting much but you can generally grab one anchor or hit a couple POIs before the alarm sounds and even then there's time to get to an exit before even the yellow ring closes.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

What's the deal with transmuters? is there a clear indicator of the ratio it wants? I thought it was the number of lights but last night I hit a glass shard to electronics transmuter, tried dumping in my 6 shards and it just kept spitting them back out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People actually use those? Whenever I find one, it seems like a bad deal and I have plenty of materials from looting.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
As far as I can tell there's no indicator of the ratio; it's possible it's the same no matter what the input/output is, I haven't really tested it. It never seems to be worth it since it always takes more input than you get in output and often the output is less valuable than the input. The number of light segments indicate how much output you can get out of the machine but you'd have to dump a lot of material into one to actually use it up.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I mean I'd love a means of getting more chemicals or other hard to find resources, I don't mind giving up everything I've looted of a resource I already have a ton of at base.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Eschatos posted:

I mean I'd love a means of getting more chemicals or other hard to find resources, I don't mind giving up everything I've looted of a resource I already have a ton of at base.

But... what IF you need 10 of your 2313 scrap metal but you transmuted it all to chemicals!

On another note, I got robbed for the first time. Just as I was saying "nice, rain, my battery will recharge with the help of my hydro--- wait is that my hydrothingie attached to this flying thing in the process of running away?!"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Are you talking about the orange splotches on the planning map? In those areas the instability storm will come quick, every time I've gone through one (twice...) it was a mad dash for the exit the minute I entered the junction. You can get through undamaged but you have to basically head straight for an exit.

Basically, you can pass through it at best, I wouldn't plan on any lingering for resources, and better still just avoid it altogether. My usual thing now is to do a few runs elsewhere while waiting for it to dissipate, usually takes 2-3 runs before it's stable again.

EDIT: You will usually see the modifier that means the instability storm is angry and fast in those zones, I don't know about other dangerous modifiers but that one is consistently true when I've scanned one on the planning map and/or gone through it.

Yeah, the orange splotches on the map. Last night when I stopped playing there was a wall of them across every path to the midzone and I'm maxed on everything I would want to open up with stable power. I'll probably just haul rear end through one towards the midzone tonight when I get on, I really don't want to spend more time gathering stable power.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

As far as I can tell there's no indicator of the ratio; it's possible it's the same no matter what the input/output is, I haven't really tested it. It never seems to be worth it since it always takes more input than you get in output and often the output is less valuable than the input. The number of light segments indicate how much output you can get out of the machine but you'd have to dump a lot of material into one to actually use it up.

I've had a few that were useful. One took prybars and gave me gas canisters or pressurized cylinders or whatever they're called. Another took scrap and returned lead which was not spawning elsewhere for me at the time. I never did find a ratio indicator either. I just dump in a whole pile of mats at first then do the math on what comes out to figure it out for the first transmute.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hemish posted:

But... what IF you need 10 of your 2313 scrap metal but you transmuted it all to chemicals!

On another note, I got robbed for the first time. Just as I was saying "nice, rain, my battery will recharge with the help of my hydro--- wait is that my hydrothingie attached to this flying thing in the process of running away?!"

Luckily they seem to just take your thing, run off, and then just stay still so you can take it back and then they leave you alone.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Luckily they seem to just take your thing, run off, and then just stay still so you can take it back and then they leave you alone.

I did manage to get under it but it was so high up I had no means to reach my stuff. I lost my side battery and my hydropower to those things, in the same map/run.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Hemish posted:

I did manage to get under it but it was so high up I had no means to reach my stuff. I lost my side battery and my hydropower to those things, in the same map/run.

Drive your car under it, hop on the roof?

Unrelated, just beat it, basically no notes. Game was fantastic and wonderful and didn't overstay its welcome. I think the game peaked around the mid zone (the mission to get through the wall was the best), but I dragged my feet at the end intentionally because I wanted to do a few more runs. Totally fine with how it ended.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Are pickpockets not distracted by flares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kyte posted:

Are pickpockets not distracted by flares?

They are.

Flares are handed out like candy; always keep a stack and use them liberally.