Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panzeh posted:

Maybe they'll make the laser rifle good at some point.

The new one looks like it's very good and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I've been playing with my friends and we are pretty casually enjoying hovering around challenging or maybe hard difficulty, but we haven't yet punched into the very difficult tiers and also haven't played in a few days.

Is all of the rancor about the balance patch just crybaby pants pissing or did they actually screw things up?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One weapon I hope gets buffed is the MA rifle because I like running scout armor with lower detection range, a jetpack, and the rifle to get to high areas and take out priority targets for my team while they handle the smaller swarms but the damage against bigger enemies (not counting chargers since those are supposed to be literal tanks) is pretty lacking

The AMR is actually pretty good against bots, with good aim you can quickly take out devastators and hulks which are the most dangerous targets.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One weapon I hope gets buffed is the MA rifle because I like running scout armor with lower detection range, a jetpack, and the rifle to get to high areas and take out priority targets for my team while they handle the smaller swarms but the damage against bigger enemies (not counting chargers since those are supposed to be literal tanks) is pretty lacking

You mean the AMR? It's extremely good against bots. It oneshots everything with headshots except hulks, which take two, and striders which take 3 from the front. It can't deal with tanks or cannons but that's fine. It's less valuable vs bugs in my experience but the damage on it is largely completely fine, it's just that bugs reward volume of fire vs precision

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Scoss posted:

I've been playing with my friends and we are pretty casually enjoying hovering around challenging or maybe hard difficulty, but we haven't yet punched into the very difficult tiers and also haven't played in a few days.

Is all of the rancor about the balance patch just crybaby pants pissing or did they actually screw things up?

They made it so you objectively die quicker and they nerfed some equipment that made certain tedious enemies less tedious. How much you care about that is up to you

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

While I know us liberating the new planet will come with mechs, i really hope they do a "oh, the bots took some tech as well and now here is a new bot enemy variant, go gently caress it up with that new mech". I have such high hopes for what the devs can do now that the servers aren't actively melting into a puddle
But I like being able to bring the AMR to robot missions without essentially trolling the team :saddowns: So hopefully any such thing doesn't become "Robocharger: gently caress your non-explosives"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Scoss posted:

six of one, half a dozen of the other. actually more like ten of one, two of the other

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Really wish there was an asterisk in there that led to:

*(For difficulties below 7)

Scoss posted:

The Reddit/Discord crybabies did more than just piss their pants, they sharted in them too. The balance patch was necessary and there are still loads of ways to handle certain tedious enemies aside from 'I shoot a leg twice with the Railgun'.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 7, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Played around with the flamethrower against the bugs last night and yeah, it's really good at killing Chargers now and I even managed to kill a couple of Bile Titans after enough time. But I generally preferred my breaker to taking down the smaller stuff which seems completely backwards to me. For one thing it has a wind-up time before any flames start shooting out, it's hard to judge distance of the flames, and the smaller bugs can still leap at you when on fire. When combined with the wall of flames it made it much harder to see them about to leap at you.

Fire should probably have some kind of stagger or slowdown effect, even if it only affects the smaller bugs.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Scoss posted:

the nerfs didn't affect anything below difficulty 8 realistically. You're free to helldive without fear. The community outcry is just that so much kit feels weak/bad and all the reddit/discord gamers really primed themselves for "the first balance patch NEEDS to be buff heavy especially if there are any nerfs" and instead there were only minor buffs + some nerfs to the streamer tier list items so everyone lost their mind.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

Fire should probably have some kind of stagger or slowdown effect, even if it only affects the smaller bugs.

Agreed. MAYBE up to Stalker size?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I mainly just want the charger to work more like the deeprock praetorian, big glowy butt weakspot but the right primary weapons can take armor off to make easier to hit weakspots in exchange for the ammo dump, charger just needs a few armor plates off the top of it's butt and in the back of the leg joints and it's pathfinding fixed so it bonks it's head on solid walls instead of climbing them.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

johnny park posted:

You mean the AMR? It's extremely good against bots. It oneshots everything with headshots except hulks, which take two, and striders which take 3 from the front. It can't deal with tanks or cannons but that's fine. It's less valuable vs bugs in my experience but the damage on it is largely completely fine, it's just that bugs reward volume of fire vs precision
You can actually 2-shot striders fairly consistently by hitting them in the legs (all shots to the same leg). There's also a 1-shot technique if you shoot it in-between the legs but I can never do it consistently from the front. It seems to work best when I'm proned out in front or otherwise below it (so I'm shooting at an upwards angle) or if it angled slightly so I can shoot the side of the crotch area:
https://i.imgur.com/qOf0opI.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Scoss posted:

Crybaby pants pissing. they nerfed 3 things and buffed about 7. even if the nerfs had outright ruined those 3 things (they didn’t) the patch would still have added more options than it removed.

I had a 7 match last night with three pubs. one of them was using the newly buffed flamethrower, another was using the newly buffed laser cannon, the third was still using the nerfed railgun and was throwing newly buffed artillery strikes. all three of them were still using the nerfed shield pack.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Kawabata posted:

Is the game crashing 4 times more than before for other people too? Because after the patch helldivers has been borderling unacceptable in terms of bugs/crashes

I havent had a single crash till this patch

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I mentioned before I found it too good not to bring breaker/rail/shield as the optimal loadout, now that they are slightly less good it means experimenting is worthwhile since they aren't far and away the best with no contest.

Shields still a must have though with how dang squishy everyone is now.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In a quickplay game, a stranger throws my respawn beacon directly at the flamethrower hulk. I appreciate your confidence in me but I am not a hand grenade.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Tbh the railgun nerf showed just how ridiculously overtuned the most armored enemies are.

I get them being lethal, I get taking long to kill them, but making them virtually invincible to anything other than 2 weapons and air stratagems was never a winning decision imo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What exactly was being said by the devs because even the CEO wrote an apology.

Anyone that wasn't expecting railgun nerfs is kinda a little crazy, I think people were just expecting more buffs to the lower performing weapons or more ways to deal with 8 chargers making you do a little dance, plus everyone being even squishier after the armor fix.

I was expecting an ammo reduction, clipsize reduction, or a safemode damage nerf. Safemode was already a 70% unsafe charge, so tuning it to something like 50% would provide the reasoning to push them into using unsafe mode like democracy always intended. Anyways more so something to keep it more inline with the HD1 railgun.

The changes straight up reduced penetration, and below 90% charge it cant even strip armour anymore. This is a timing issue for players to get used to, I was previously charging to 80% most of the time. Now that said, getting to 90% on PC there is no visual indication on the crosshair you're about to die, on PS5 the controller vibrates or whatever.

Can I still use it? Yes, but it takes many more hits to strip chargers legs ( which more often than not seem to straight up die now ) , and a couple more on bile titans. It was supposed to be an anti-armour strategem ( is it though ? ), but it simply was too good outside its purpose and had faaar too much ammo reserve so you could use it on basically every medium enemy as well. They've made it worse at its anti armour role, while leaving it a medium enemy destroyer which seems strange.

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I agree with the sentiment.

With the Rambo Meta you could just full sprint through every bug helldive occassionally taking 5 seconds to running hipfire railgun a charger. I played like 20 of them doing that while watching movies before I got bored and started killing things for fun. Got a lot of complaints and shaming from the rambos for staying to kill a titan at an objectice after they sprinted to a terminal and were 200m toward the next objective.

Now you need to actually worry about the bugs and herd them or attack them to get near some things. You'll get curbstomped if you try to sprint through 200 bugs.

So of course people on social media are saying bugs are broken and unplayable. The salt is from the fact the majority of players gravitated to bugs because they were easier and now they are a threat.

They seem like the increased the spawn rate of everything in general, perhaps based on the elapsed mission timer. Eradicates are obviously tuned much higher for good reason, and they are not impossible to complete but you're just circle strafing the area throwing down eagles and grenades.

High level bugs has devolved into endless kiting waiting for cooldowns on strategems or running around a rock until you can retrieve your anti armour kit after you die because, yes cooldowns. IME bots plays basically the same because you didn't really want many railguns to begin with.

I'm shocked they are going to cave on toning down the unit itself rather than tuning the anti-armour strategems. Make EATs do more damage to faces, or make the recoilless rifle useful ( the solo reload is the worst ). There are ways to deal with small numbers of chargers effectively currently, but as that number scales it becomes... complicated to efficiently dispatch them

In HD1 the railgun could kill 20+ enemies at a time, or you'd call down rail cannon orbitals at 60s intervals, and even the basic airstrike was basically a main weapon given the frequency you could call it down ( cyborg planets aside )

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I mentioned before I found it too good not to bring breaker/rail/shield as the optimal loadout, now that they are slightly less good it means experimenting is worthwhile since they aren't far and away the best with no contest.

I think the 'armour fix' increased damage for some reason, 2-3 hits to die in light armour from cockroaches, or 4 hits in heavy armour seems wild. Shield on bugs is still great because it prevents slow from the 75% of enemies you face that seem to hit you with this status

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 7, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Jerkface posted:

... and the devs apparently didn't want the super sample difficulties to be reliably challenged yet. ...

This part isn't true at all. Difficulty 7 still gets super samples just fine and wasn't appreciably changed. There's a video up thread of me running it with no problems after the patch.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The AMR being geared more towards boys than bugs should have been obvious in retrospect :v: I like that you gotta tune your strategies based on the enemies you’ll face instead of just one loadout that does everything perfectly and I hope they lean into that more

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah my experience has been that despite the rather hefty nerf, the shield feels even more important and powerful because everyone has developed boneitis and dies to gentle breezes now.

I still run autocannon against bots but man it's spooky now.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Man, I don’t agree with nerfing the heavies, there is like 0 challenge to the bugs if they nerf the heavies and make them spawn less. Bile titans are barely a threat.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Reiley posted:

In a quickplay game, a stranger throws my respawn beacon directly at the flamethrower hulk. I appreciate your confidence in me but I am not a hand grenade.

You're shot out of a cannon in a bullet-shaped pod. You sure about that?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Reiley posted:

That's your cue to land your drop pod right on top of that fucker

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Lord Packinham posted:

Man, I don’t agree with nerfing the heavies, there is like 0 challenge to the bugs if they nerf the heavies and make them spawn less. Bile titans are barely a threat.

I totally agree with this. The charger and titan are the only things that aren't fodder and force you to change up and pay attention, really. Changing that homogenizes the poo poo out of bugs.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Lord Packinham posted:

I totally agree with nerfing the heavies somewhat, spawning 2 tanks/bile titans on top of you while your stratagems are on cd is a surefire way to end a mission regardless of the team's skill level. If they don't want to nerf the heavies per se they at least need to look into how often they spawn in packs.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Technically the anti-materiel rifle should be useless against bugs, as they do not have materiel

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

johnny park posted:

You're shot out of a cannon in a bullet-shaped pod. You sure about that?

You know what, you're right. I am a hand grenade.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
If I was the devs I'd just block every US IP and go back to having a good community.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I dunno if they should be nerfed per se, but I think chargers should be more intuitive to kill. "Focus fire on a single limb until the armor blows off and then shoot the same limb until it dies" is stupid. "Maybe shoot the limbs to slow it down, but kill it by blowing the armor off the body and then shooting the exposed bits" would feel more sensible and satisfying.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Nordick posted:

I dunno if they should be nerfed per se, but I think chargers should be more intuitive to kill. "Focus fire on a single limb until the armor blows off and then shoot the same limb until it dies" is stupid. "Maybe shoot the limbs to slow it down, but kill it by blowing the armor off the body and then shooting the exposed bits" would feel more sensible and satisfying.

You can bleed them out, but that's not as fun as exploding their head tbh

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Everyone keeps saying "we're more fragile now!" and I'm just sitting here in the same 100 armor rating Trench Engineer Armor I've worn for 90% of my playtime and I feel about the same durability as I ever was. I don't even run the shield pack!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

If I was the devs I'd just block every US IP and go back to having a good community.

The game was better when there was an exclusive waiting list to get in.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Took the railgun for a spin against bots with my friend and now I can definitely see the appeal. One shotting striders and devastators by hitting them basically anywhere is satisfying, safety off ofc. The friend had an autocannon which takes every tower/hulk/etc with the orange exhaust vents out easily while the railgun seemed to have no effect on those weakspots, just bouncing off.

7th difficulty feels just right enough, as has every difficulty thus far, imo they really succeeded in building the difficulty curve. I'd be happy staying on this level if 8 and 9 are just the same but with more hulks and tanks.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can bleed them out, but that's not as fun as exploding their head tbh

Yeah just to clarify, I'm aware that the leg thing isn't the only way to kill chargers. I just think destroying one limb shouldn't immediately kill them at all, but to compensate the other methods should maybe be a bit easier.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Everyone keeps saying "we're more fragile now!" and I'm just sitting here in the same 100 armor rating Trench Engineer Armor I've worn for 90% of my playtime and I feel about the same durability as I ever was. I don't even run the shield pack!

Thats the same one I ran but I actually swapped to light post-patch because there's not an appreciable survivability increase with medium and I got the same buffs on a light armor suit. I think the issue is you likely haven't been crit/headshot yet as I think thats the biggest thing affecting armor system right now. However armor was being handled pre-patch it feels like none of the systems were working right but now you can get instakilled by baby enemies if they headshot you lol

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Nordick posted:

I maintain that they should buff AT weaponry so you can blast a charger's head off with a single, well-aimed shot (right now it requires 2 shots)

Someone else here said it before but the whole "strip leg armour -> DPS it down" method feel's very game-y in a bad way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I die in two robit shots in ultralight armor now

Still not taking it off though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I think the bugs have part of their brain in their limbs it's cool and shouldn't be intuitive because they are aliens.

Please help I can't figure out how to kill chargers without railgun

https://streamable.com/cmlfpv