Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

Bama ending college football at the end of Saban’s regime was entirely predictable. Poetic even.

“Actually, college football is immoral and illegal”

If there was one issue to get the state of Alabama to go blue its the Republicans axing college football. Hell, you may see a full blown insurrection if that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

If there was one issue to get the state of Alabama to go blue its the Republicans axing college football. Hell, you may see a full blown insurrection if that happened.

Oh absolutely. poo poo they had a full blown emergency catering to a bunch of sterile quiverfull dads. Ending college football would be actual civil war 2.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Bama ending college football at the end of Saban’s regime was entirely predictable. Poetic even.

the center cannot hold, etc. etc.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

harperdc posted:

the center cannot hold, etc. etc.

Can't hold, can't snap, when will Bama catch a break?!?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

LeeMajors posted:

Might as well drag Auburn into the gutter with them. Smart move

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Sash! posted:

I've lived in DC for almost 15 years and the general consensus is there is no Mexican food in DC. If I'm traveling in the US, it tends to other places in the East that aren't exactly hotspots of the cuisine (like New York).

As much as I miss Houston food, DC has probably the best Peruvian and Salvadoran (pupusas!) food in the country

Hell, I moved up to Columbia Heights and there's very good Mexican here - Tequila y Mezcal and Taqueria Habanero are both very solid choices. I've also heard good things about El Chucho, but haven't been able to eat there yet.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Ladies and Gentlemen of the United States Congress, I can happily report to you that the State of our Union is

https://twitter.com/byAustinMeek/status/1765781560073007534?t=JAA-RBVMckydEGtbBTTrCA&s=19

SMASH

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

But name names on the burgers, OP, because I’m currently convinced that the best burger in Geneva, if not Romandie, is available in my kitchen.

I had three burgers while I was in Switzerland:

The Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne. This one feels like cheating because literally everything I ate there was practically the best version of it possible.

Funky Claude's Bar in the Hotel Fairmont Le Montreux Palace. They were very simple mini burgers, but I could have eaten a thousand of them. I'll admit that I only half remember this because it was during the jazz festival and I was already drunk.

Holy Cow in Zürich. It is my understanding that there are a number of these. It was more in line with a fast causal restaurant and when put in that context, it was definitely better than what you'd get in the same kind of place in the US. The only place that seems to actually know what barbecue sauce is in the whole of Europe. It was during Züri Fäscht, so getting anything to eat in the first place felt like an achievement.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

The Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne. This one feels like cheating because literally everything I ate there was practically the best version of it possible.

Funky Claude's Bar in the Hotel Fairmont Le Montreux Palace. They were very simple mini burgers, but I could have eaten a thousand of them. I'll admit that I only half remember this because it was during the jazz festival and I was already drunk.

Holy Cow in Zürich. It is my understanding that there are a number of these. It was more in line with a fast causal restaurant and when put in that context, it was definitely better than what you'd get in the same kind of place in the US. The only place that seems to actually know what barbecue sauce is in the whole of Europe. It was during Züri Fäscht, so getting anything to eat in the first place felt like an achievement.

I went to write some of these places down on a someday-maybe list and I realized I have Beau-Rivage hotel already on my Switzerland list, because you posted about it some time ago. Do not let me down Sash!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/foxsportspr/status/1765832344647377278?s=46

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

they're not going to axe college football just like they immediately patched up the IVF ban

it simply won't pass in its current form or will otherwise be amended as soon as someone points this out

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

doesn't FOX have big 10, big 12, and MWC football only though?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

they're not going to axe college football just like they immediately patched up the IVF ban

it simply won't pass in its current form or will otherwise be amended as soon as someone points this out

Yeah, if it's an NCAA rule requiring DEI they'll just axe the NCAA sooner than they already will

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sash! posted:

This reminds me that the weirdest place I've found an exceptional burger was in the warm heart of Africa, Malawi. Had a couple, but the one that stands out in my mind was at this tiny, remote lodge on a small nature park called Nyala lodge in Lengwe National Park. Simple: half pound burger cooked to a juicy medium (don't eat rare beef in Africa), bacon, mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion. Fresh bun, either cooked in house or bought from a local kitchen that day. Exquisite and so very surprising. Went perfect with a Gin & Tonic or 3.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

https://www.cntraveler.com/hotels/switzerland/lausanne/beau-rivage-palace-lausanne there's not a sentence I'd disagree with here.

It was the most relaxing place I've ever been. Incredible food, the room was exquisite, perfect service, the atmosphere was exactly what you want if you're pretending you're rich for a few days,, all of it. My only regret is that we didn't take advantage of the spa.

The breakfast was definitely in that category of "if you want it, they have it."

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Y’all make me hate that I’m a nearly broke single dad on a teacher’s salary

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hed posted:

doesn't FOX have big 10, big 12, and MWC football only though?

That's 46 schools (not counting Oregon State or Washington State).

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

kayakyakr posted:

This reminds me that the weirdest place I've found an exceptional burger was in the warm heart of Africa, Malawi. Had a couple, but the one that stands out in my mind was at this tiny, remote lodge on a small nature park called Nyala lodge in Lengwe National Park. Simple: half pound burger cooked to a juicy medium (don't eat rare beef in Africa), bacon, mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion. Fresh bun, either cooked in house or bought from a local kitchen that day. Exquisite and so very surprising. Went perfect with a Gin & Tonic or 3.

Holy poo poo. I've been there. Didn't get the burger though, or it didn't leave an impression....

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

KKKLIP ART posted:

Y’all make me hate that I’m a nearly broke single dad on a teacher’s salary

Learn tableau and become a remote project manager?

Teachers are like specifically trained for that kind of job

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah pull yourself up by your bootstraps and learn to code

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/hayesfawcett3/status/1765902653018558526?s=46

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7343004934872501550

I miss him so god drat much…

Radia fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 8, 2024

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
He makes the Doug “Muscle Hamster” Martin look like DJ Qualls.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gonz posted:

He makes the Doug “Muscle Hamster” Martin look like DJ Qualls.

Doug Martin put up 28 on bench.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Sash! posted:

Thanks! While I’m likely never going to have occasion to get a hotel in Lausanne, there is another Holy Cow all of two blocks from my apartment, so that’s definitely now on the list.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

gently caress it, it's the off-season thread

Planning a trip to Detroit and Chicago later this year and wondered if there were a few things we should definitely go see? My wife is vegetarian, so some inclusive food places would be awesome. I trust the ncaa thread on food.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Second City does nightly (or almost nightly) shows if you’re a sketch comedy/SNL fan. I went with my brother for his bachelor party and it was a good time. I’d try finding one bar with a skyline view of Chicago for an (expensive) drink. The Field Museum’s a banger.
Food recommendations probably depend on what you do and where you’re staying.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Coco13 posted:

I’d try finding one bar with a skyline view of Chicago for an (expensive) drink.

It's a bummer the Hancock building started charging just to get up to the 93rd floor bar. You used to be able to just go up there and get a $10 martini and take in the view. It looks like it's at least $25 to get up there now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jeremor posted:

Planning a trip to Detroit and Chicago later this year and wondered if there were a few things we should definitely go see? My wife is vegetarian, so some inclusive food places would be awesome. I trust the ncaa thread on food.

Detroit:

Things to do:
Motown Museum
Henry Ford Museum
They have a walking tour of downtown that is pretty cool. Downtown detroit has some great architecture
The riverfront has been built up downtown and is pretty cool

Food:
Try a coney dog at either Lafayette or American. I'm partial to Lafayette myself (not very veggie friendly)
There's a huge Mediterranean and Muslim population in Detroit so basically any restaurant/stand of that genre of food you can find is great
Try Detroit Style Pizza (Buddy's or Loui's) - I'm partial to Loui's
Try Faygo - it's the regional beverage of choice

Drink:
Michigan has a huge craft beer and cider community

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Coco13 posted:

The Field Museum’s a banger.

I'll second that, and the Shedd next door is pretty great too. My favorite is the Museum of Science and Industry down south at the 1893 Worlds Fair grounds. The U505 exhibit down in the basement is worth the trip alone.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Jeremor posted:

Architectural boat tour (cue goon legend DMB story here)
Field history and Museum of science & industry are world class, as is the Art institute

Come to the chicago thread too for food, there's so many great options that it's overwhelming. One nice thing is that Chicago has quality at all price points.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

drunk leprechaun posted:

Holy poo poo. I've been there. Didn't get the burger though, or it didn't leave an impression....

Crazy small world.

I should mention that I got it again for lunch the next day and it wasn't as good as dinner the night before. So it could have been more about me (we had just spent the day first driving, then at my friend's peace corps village/ranch tagging cattle), or it could have been the cook at that time.

What took you to the Shire?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

vyst posted:

Detroit:

Things to do:
Motown Museum
Henry Ford Museum
They have a walking tour of downtown that is pretty cool. Downtown detroit has some great architecture
The riverfront has been built up downtown and is pretty cool

Food:
Try a coney dog at either Lafayette or American. I'm partial to Lafayette myself (not very veggie friendly)
There's a huge Mediterranean and Muslim population in Detroit so basically any restaurant/stand of that genre of food you can find is great
Try Detroit Style Pizza (Buddy's or Loui's) - I'm partial to Loui's
Try Faygo - it's the regional beverage of choice

Drink:
Michigan has a huge craft beer and cider community

Being from Michigan I would second basically everything here. Motown Museum is like $10 and really cool if you have any appreciation of pop music history and the entire southeast Michigan region is a Mediterranean food haven which is pretty easy for vegetarians. For a different cuisine that’s vegetarian friendly, Selden Standard is a good upscale place for a variety of eaters IIRC.

In Chicago, my vegetarian gf’s favorite place is Chicago Diner (multiple locations). Handlebar in Wicker Park is pretty great (and also pescatarian if you don’t want to be plant based everywhere you eat). If for some reason you end up in Evanston, Blind Faith is another good veg-only joint. Chicago is the greatest meat city in America though so if you do get the opportunity to eat on your own, there are a million excellent choices.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

trevorreznik posted:

Field history and Museum of science & industry are world class, as is the Art institute

Come to the chicago thread too for food, there's so many great options that it's overwhelming. One nice thing is that Chicago has quality at all price points.

Wait, a goon was involved in the DMB poo poo dumping incident?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

https://x.com/shawncp92/status/1688973958891114509?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

swickles posted:

Yeah I feel like I remember one of the guides being a goon, or at least they claimed they were a guide anyway.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

swickles posted:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

swickles posted:

Had no clue what this was about, and

:shrek:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wild to go back to 2004 qnd see posters reference Drudge and Limbaugh and stuff

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Made ramen and added some of the pork butt I made last weekend and it’s amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

kayakyakr posted:

Crazy small world.

I should mention that I got it again for lunch the next day and it wasn't as good as dinner the night before. So it could have been more about me (we had just spent the day first driving, then at my friend's peace corps village/ranch tagging cattle), or it could have been the cook at that time.

What took you to the Shire?

Long story short I had a totally free summer, too much money, and was chasing a girl doing study abroad. So yeah. Spent 12 weeks all over southern Africa.