Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Leviathan Song posted:

That seems hard to believe. Even within a hunter gatherer society phrases like go grab 5 fishing nets or 6 bowls would be pretty useful. People were definitely using fingers and tally marks way before agriculture so it seems like a pretty big leap that they didn't have any verbal way to count.

Wikipedia has examples well predating agriculture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...%20years%20ago.

Tally sticks date back at least 40000 years. The first written words for numbers seem to come after agriculture but people were definitely counting before that.

I guess if you can just hold up fingers you never need a word for number. But yeah at some point it's going to be annoying if you have to drop what youre doing to hold up 8 fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"One for me and one for my wife and one for my brother" communicates how many you want without having a word for "three"
stack three up and say "I want these" communicates you want three
there is a difference between a concept and having a consistent word for a thing

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Leperflesh posted:

"One for me and one for my wife and one for my brother" communicates how many you want without having a word for "three"
there is a difference between a concept and having a consistent word for a thing

Pre-agricultural cultures had words for numbers, we know this. For example 3 is 'kolme' in Finnish and 'kolma' in related Moksha, Ugric languages separated by thousands of years and thousands of kilometers.

IMO people frequently underestimate how intelligent non-agricultural peoples are, and I think it stems from 19th century racism and trying to rationalise the spread of "progress" and "enlightenment" done by colonial empires. We ought to avoid it.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 7, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Cactus Ghost posted:

iirc the first solid evidence we have of counting comes after agriculture. it may just be that without a surplus to trade with a nonfamily outgroup, numbers aren't necessary. there's "enough" and "not enough" and thats... enough.
The Piraha do actually trade with outsiders, indigenous and not, and just get ripped off constantly. They don’t count on fingers or make tally sticks or anything similar. He kept trying to teach them to count so they wouldn’t get ripped off, and their attitude was just “nah we’re good.” If the Sentinel Islanders’ vibe is “gently caress off,” the Piraha are 100% “nah we’re good.” Want to make the canoes you covet if I pay for everything and bring over teachers? Nah we’re good. Want to make baskets or other items that last? Nah we’re good. Want to learn another language so you can communicate with traders? Nah we’re good.

quote:

One of the first was the apparent lack of counting and numbers. At first I thought that the Pirahăs had the numbers one, two, and “many,” a common enough system around the world. But I realized that what I and previous workers thought were numbers were only relative quantities. I began to notice this when the Pirahăs asked me when the plane was coming again, a question they enjoy asking, I eventually realized, because they find it nearly magical that I seem to know the day that the plane is arriving.

I would hold up two fingers and say, “Hoi days,” using what I thought was their term for two. They would look puzzled. As I observed more carefully, I saw that they never used their fingers or any other body parts or external objects to count or tally with. And I also noticed that they could use what I thought meant “two” for two small fish or one relatively larger fish, contradicting my understanding that it meant “two” and supporting my new idea of the “numbers” as references to relative volume—two small fish and one medium-size fish are roughly equal in volume, but both would be less than, and thus trigger a different “number,” than a large fish. Eventually numerous published experiments were conducted by me and a series of psychologists that demonstrated conclusively that the Pirahăs have no numbers at all and no counting in any form.

Before carrying out these experiments, however, I already had experiential evidence supporting the lack of counting in the language.

In 1980, at the Pirahăs’ urging, Keren and I began a series of evening classes in counting and literacy. My entire family participated, with Shannon, Kristene, and Caleb (nine, six, and three at that time) sitting with Pirahă men and women and working with them. Each evening for eight months we tried to teach Pirahă men and women to count to ten in Portuguese. They wanted to learn this because they knew that they did not understand money and wanted to be able to tell whether they were being cheated (or so they told us) by the river traders. After eight months of daily efforts, without ever needing to call the Pirahăs to come for class (all meetings were started by them with much enthusiasm), the people concluded that they could not learn this material and classes were abandoned. Not one Pirahă learned to count to ten in eight months. None learned to add 3 + 1 or even 1 + 1 (if regularly writing or saying the numeral 2 in answer to the latter is evidence of learning).Only occasionally would some get the right answer.

Whatever else might be responsible for the Pirahăs’ lack of acquiring the skill of counting, I believe that one crucial factor is that they ultimately do not value Portuguese (or American) knowledge. In fact, they actively oppose some aspects of it coming into their lives. They ask questions about outside cultures largely for the entertainment value of the answers. If one tries to suggest, as we originally did, in a math class, that there is actually a preferred response to a specific question, this is unwelcome and will likely result in a change of conversational topic or simple irritation.
Too long to quote, but they also don’t have concepts like all, whole, every, each, entire. You can’t say “I’ll trade for all the fish you caught today” or even “I want to use the entire log.”

Anyone who’s interested, I’m begging you to at least get this book from your library

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 7, 2024

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Anyone who’s interested, I’m begging you to at least get this book from your library

Nah, I'm good

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nenonen posted:

Pre-agricultural cultures had words for numbers, we know this. For example 3 is 'kolme' in Finnish and 'kolma' in related Moksha, Ugric languages separated by thousands of years and thousands of kilometers.

IMO people frequently underestimate how intelligent non-agricultural peoples are, and I think it stems from 19th century racism and trying to rationalise the spread of "progress" and "enlightenment" done by colonial empires. We ought to avoid it.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you, but weren't the Uralic languages much more of a geographic continuum until like the 1200s? Slavic languages don't take over till relatively late.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

True, but you have no real way to know whether they had a word for those things or any other things. Maybe they had distinct words for berry and root or maybe they talked about plant feet and plant eggs or maybe they just pointed. It's not like we have written language predating agriculture.

One of the earliest spoken proto languages that we have a decent grasp of, proto Indo European, also post-dates agriculture. It contains distinct words for numbers up to at least 100. If they definitely had 100 in 4000 BC then we don't really know if they just had enough and not enough in 12000 BC or they really only went to 10 or some tribe had a word for a trillion. As far back as we've been able to look they had numbers so they probably had numbers before that.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fascinating stuff. would make a great gbs thread

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nenonen posted:

While I wholeheartedly agree that people frequently underestimate how intelligent people were in the past, and the reconstruction of ancient languages such as proto-indo-european is also a fascinating area, "pre-agricultural language" is a very tricky phrase given that there are societies alive today that never developed agriculture but it was also starting to be developed even before those big civilizations we all learned about in school like the indus valley or the fertile crescent and it is very difficult to pin down who, exactly, in all these regions 5k+ years ago, used all of the words that we can reconstruct as having originated at least that long ago. There has also been a strong assertion that language dispersal went hand-in-hand with dispersal of agriculture technology: I've heard of the theory that the reason Basque is so weird and not proto-indo-european is that it's the last remnant of a pre-agricultural, neolithic language, all the rest of which was obliterated by the importation of both agriculture and proto-indo-european (descended) language into Europe.

I.e.

Leviathan Song posted:

One of the earliest spoken proto languages that we have a decent grasp of, proto Indo European, also post-dates agriculture.

Sooorta yeah, probably, more or less, or was created along with agriculture, or pre-dates agriculture at its origin... there's a debate.

One thing more broadly worth understanding is how much way-of-life affects conceptualizations that then require words. Again it's not "they're too stupid to understand abstract concepts" it's way more "concrete things seem to dominate the conversation" when you're talking about traditional pre-agricultural cultures. There's a long-standing debate about abstract vs. concrete, including (especially) with regards to numbers. Just now doing some googling and I can see the old concrete vs. abstract debate has been challenged and if you're fascinated by cuneiform and pre-cuneiform counting technology, this is a cool and good read to look at.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

if you laid out all these posts about culture heritage counting and agriculture how tall would they be compared to everest

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chief McHeath posted:

if you laid out all these posts about culture heritage counting and agriculture how tall would they be compared to everest

Many

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmao

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

quote:

I began to notice this when the Pirahăs asked me when the plane was coming again, a question they enjoy asking, I eventually realized, because they find it nearly magical that I seem to know the day that the plane is arriving.

I'm curious how you would express when something in the future was going to happen without counting. Tie it to something astronomical? "After the next full moon"?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm curious how you would express when something in the future was going to happen without counting. Tie it to something astronomical? "After the next full moon"?

What sort of future events they needing to plan for? For crops if there's seasons wet/dry season but you can gauge that by few different ways (Average temp/length of day and whatnot). Sounds like traders come when they come. We think a lot in time as everything very time orientated but that just because it's how our societies set up, but if your food just comes from growing and hunting, like what are you keeping track of. I'm sure they'd be good at eyeballing how much supplies are needed and are left and that sort of stuff. Most other stuff you know, done when it's done.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If it comes from growing, you are very conscious of when things are sowed vs. when they produce. Not in numbers per se, but in terms of "this only grows in rainy season" and "we get two crops of X in the time it takes to get one crop of y."

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yeah I’m sorry the detail got so big. Unfortunately it would make a terrible gbs thread because it would just get “lol they dumb” shitposts for a couple pages.

If anyone actually reads the book, DM me and we can try to set up a thread in the Book Barn I guess

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah I’m sorry the detail got so big. Unfortunately it would make a terrible gbs thread because it would just get “lol they dumb” shitposts for a couple pages.

If anyone actually reads the book, DM me and we can try to set up a thread in the Book Barn I guess

gently caress you, just post

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm borrowing it from the library because of this discussion if it's any consolation :)

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

dr_rat posted:

What sort of future events they needing to plan for? For crops if there's seasons wet/dry season but you can gauge that by few different ways (Average temp/length of day and whatnot). Sounds like traders come when they come. We think a lot in time as everything very time orientated but that just because it's how our societies set up, but if your food just comes from growing and hunting, like what are you keeping track of. I'm sure they'd be good at eyeballing how much supplies are needed and are left and that sort of stuff. Most other stuff you know, done when it's done.

Pre-agricultural societies still want to track the lunar cycle for tides and how much light you have at night. Knowing when to go down to the tidelands to dig up clams or whether you'll be able to keep persistence hunting something after sundown are very useful.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Leviathan Song posted:

Pre-agricultural societies still want to track the lunar cycle for tides and how much light you have at night. Knowing when to go down to the tidelands to dig up clams or whether you'll be able to keep persistence hunting something after sundown are very useful.

sure, but that doesn't require counting. it requires looking up and seeing the moon is waxing

polynesians navigated across open ocean by the stars without sextants or charts, they just did it with practice and passed it on through apprenticeship. just because we use numbers to communicate an idea now doesn't mean that's the only way to do it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Cactus Ghost posted:

sure, but that doesn't require counting. it requires looking up and seeing the moon is waxing

polynesians navigated across open ocean by the stars without sextants or charts, they just did it with practice and passed it on through apprenticeship. just because we use numbers to communicate an idea now doesn't mean that's the only way to do it.

toddler-like fascination with subjectivity

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's important I mean, not at all, but "to this conversation" I guess to understand that "they don't have numbers" doesn't mean they don't have linguistic indicators of quantity; it means that they don't have such indicators separate from specific nouns. You could for example have a word for "one person" and a different word, or a variation on it, for "two people" and another for "three or more people"; and then you could also have a word for "one day's travel away" and another for "two day's travel away" etc., which may or may not use similar prefixes or suffixes or modifications along some consistent line. This allows you to differentiate important quantities for specific things but isn't "words for one, two, three" and also doesn't even necessarily suggest a shorthand for numerals, if the modifications of the words are inconsistent. You invent or develop a modified word for a quantity of that specific thing only when you actually need it, and only for quantities that you actually encounter. If there's never a hundred people that you need to count, you never need to make a word for "a hundred people", especially because a word for "a lot of people" is probably more than sufficient.

To put it more succinctly, if you never need to compare apples to oranges, you don't need independent words to signify a quantity you can compare, or add up how many apples + oranges you have, etc.

I do not know if Piraha do that, mind you. But once you start delving into the details of language, things like the above emerge and make a lot of sense.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 8, 2024

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Cactus Ghost posted:

It does when you have a cloudy week or two. Counting days from the last full or new moon on a cloudless night let's you track it regardless of weather. I literally haven't seen the moon since the day after the last full moon. I can just look up the tides with my modern conveniences but being able to count off those 15 days is awfully convenient if you don't have that luxury.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the lunar cycle and the menstural cycle both being 28 days is very convenient, I dunno if anthropologists mention it but I bet those societies knew that if Brenda started her last period three days past the last new moon, and she's having her period now, they know pretty closely what the phase of the moon is today

also if it's too overcast to see the moon it's too overcast to hunt after sunset and the next high tide is gonna be almost exactly one half day after the previous

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Leperflesh posted:

the lunar cycle and the menstural cycle both being 28 days is very convenient, I dunno if anthropologists mention it but I bet those societies knew that if Brenda started her last period three days past the last new moon, and she's having her period now, they know pretty closely what the phase of the moon is today

also if it's too overcast to see the moon it's too overcast to hunt after sunset and the next high tide is gonna be almost exactly one half day after the previous

I'd be interested to see if there is any evidence of that historically, but it might be tricky to find for a lot of reasons. It is also worth noting the moon cycle is off by a bit - I think it's closer to 27 days) so there is drift even if you're menstruating like clockwork--which is rare when you're not living a somewhat sedentary lifestyle - not eating regularly or having a lot of strenuous activity can delay the cycle pretty easily for a lot of people. (Mine usually stopped entirely whenever I was in the middle of sports seasons in high school and that was just swim team, and that was pretty common.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I do not know if Piraha do that, mind you.
They don’t. That’s the long quote I posted above explaining how they don’t. Getting the book from the library and finding out how things actually work is more interesting and informative than all this speculating

woke kaczynski posted:

I'm borrowing it from the library because of this discussion if it's any consolation :)
one convert!!!!!!! It really is interesting I swear

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

They don’t. That’s the long quote I posted above explaining how they don’t. Getting the book from the library and finding out how things actually work is more interesting and informative than all this speculating

one convert!!!!!!! It really is interesting I swear

Sorry I'm not going to read a whole book in order to have a slightly more detailed insight into discussing the Piraha. Like that's a cool idea but I get through about four books a year these days so that ones' not making the list. However: what I am describing about the use of numbers in language isn't speculation for other languages, it's how they actually work.

DurianGray posted:

I'd be interested to see if there is any evidence of that historically, but it might be tricky to find for a lot of reasons. It is also worth noting the moon cycle is off by a bit - I think it's closer to 27 days) so there is drift even if you're menstruating like clockwork--which is rare when you're not living a somewhat sedentary lifestyle - not eating regularly or having a lot of strenuous activity can delay the cycle pretty easily for a lot of people. (Mine usually stopped entirely whenever I was in the middle of sports seasons in high school and that was just swim team, and that was pretty common.)

We're talking about not seeing the moon for maybe a week or two becuase it's overcast, not never seeing the moon for months and drifting off by a day during that time, as if you somehow need to know the exact phase of the moon in order to predict when the next high tide will be.

It's true that seafaring peoples had an intimate relationship with the tides: it's just a bit silly to suppose that they couldn't possibly live without abstract numbers in their language because of that, or especially need to know the exact day of the full moon a week in advance.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know how it is in hunter-gatherer socities but not everyone's menstrual cycle is exactly 28 days. Mine used to be roughly 30 days, now it's usually less than 28 days. Physical activity, stress, etc can gently caress with it too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's true, and I know they can shift around and align with other womens'. Still and again though, the point is there's ways to understand about a month has passed that don't rely on counting up to 28 with words that mean those numbers

like, we know many of these languages didn't have words for numbers, so "that's impossible, they need to know!" just outright loses to "whatever they need to know, they have ways to figure out and say," self-evidently

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

:science: Actually, only 12.4 percent of women have a 28-day cycle! Most women cannot predict the full moon by checking for blood.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That's why the length of month varies between 28 and 31 days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:science: Actually, only 12.4 percent of women have a 28-day cycle! Most women cannot predict the full moon by checking for blood.

quote:

Most women (87%) had actual menstrual cycle lengths between 23 and 35 days, with a normal distribution centred on day 28,

I think that's good enough to guess when the next night with plenty of moonlight for hunting will be

I wonder if closely-related people, such as in a small pre-agricultural community, would have less variation, too?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

dr_rat posted:

But my question was in reference to a future event that wasn't tied to anything in their daily life: "When is the plane arriving?"

What sort of answer were they expecting? "It will come the before/the same day/the day after such and such moon." See what I mean? He can't say, "12 days from now," if they don't count, it has to be a reference point they know.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I wondered about that too, but I think they would be impressed even if he just said “it’s definitely not coming today” or “it’s coming after lunch today”

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The fact that the 'twoness' of two days is the same as the 'twoness' of two people seems very obvious to us because of the ways we learn about numbers and counting, but the relationship between them is very abstract if you think about it. What do 28 stones have to do with the lunar cycle? The obvious answer is gently caress all, it takes a real leap to find that connection. Even in our 'Western' (i.e. heavily Indian/Arabian influenced) mathematics there were centuries and centuries when the mathematics of the 'natural' or 'counting' numbers was a completely separate field from the mathematics of 'geometric' or 'measured' numbers like dimensions of objects or lengths of time. I might be misremembering my mathematical history but I believe that at the height of Classical Greek culture they were aware of this problem but couldn't resolve it, and it wasn't until Descartes and Cartesian co-ordinates that the two fields were unified.

I think when it is said that this culture or that culture "doesn't have numbers" we should not infer that they do not have concepts of relative quantity or even absolute quantity, rather that they do not have concepts of numbers as abstract things that are distinct from the ways they are used. They may well be able to understand and communicate the idea of 'two days' or of 'two people,' they just do so in a way that is particular to communicating those ideas and doesn't employ an abstract concept of 'twoness'.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 9, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

loving Selene, can't get anything right

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

... on Mt. Everest

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mount Everest: You don't need numbers to post about your menstrual cycle ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If we didn't have a moon we'd use bloodcycles instead of months.