Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

:rip:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1765397025967710542

Nevertheless, there is a lot of wiggle room here, several weeks to go, and no particular reason to believe anything Musk says on or off Twitter is permanently binding

Strictly speaking, that is present-tense. He's not lying if he's already given Trump a dump truck load of money, just that he's not CURRENTLY giving him money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Not like there any number of tax dodging entities that TOTALLY DO NOT COORDINATE with the candidate that one could donate to.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know why y'all are searching for loopholes in that Musk statement when he could just as easily be flat-out lying.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ey, I thought we were livin' in a Post Truth society over heeeeeeah.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DaveWoo posted:

I don't know why y'all are searching for loopholes in that Musk statement when he could just as easily be flat-out lying.

Also is a flaky moron who changes his mind whenever he changes his mood/dose, so even if he's telling the truth right now he's one insult, compliment, or microdose away from completely reversing course.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gifting isn't donating. Checkmate libs. :smug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tesseraction posted:

Neither would be a loan.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So what’s up with the committee in GA senate about Willis and such? Can they actually kill the investigation.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Neither would be a loan.

Neither would be a purchase.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ynglaur posted:

Neither would be a purchase.

As Donald Trump has not yet been convicted of a crime, the 13th Amendment prohibits this.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As Donald Trump has not yet been convicted of a crime, the 13th Amendment prohibits this.

In a 6 to 3 ruling...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

So that's what it says it is and you know if Stephen Miller and Citizens United are involved, it's gonna be gud.

Apparently though "may be of considerable help to the Court in resolving the cited pretrial motions." doesn't mean what it implies at least: https://bsky.app/profile/joshuajfriedman.com/post/3kn2mvp75tk2z

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653.360.1.pdf
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653.364.1.pdf

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 6, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mobby_6kl posted:

So that's what it says it is and you know if Stephen Miller and Citizens United are involved, it's gonna be gud.

Apparently though "may be of considerable help to the Court in resolving the cited pretrial motions." doesn't mean what it implies at least: https://bsky.app/profile/joshuajfriedman.com/post/3kn2mvp75tk2z

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653.360.1.pdf
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653.364.1.pdf

lol what insane bullshit is this? Like NARA is the only reason this happened because trump didnt just give the poo poo back and tried to sell it to other and or sell it back.

gregday
May 23, 2003

So, does "accepts amicus briefs" mean anything? Because I've seen crazy randos submitting handwritten letters as amicus briefs in cases all the time. Other than a clerical error, why wouldn't a court "accept" the brief? It doesn't mean they are going to do anything with it, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You have to be granted permission to file an amicus brief. You don't get it automatically.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gregday posted:

So, does "accepts amicus briefs" mean anything? Because I've seen crazy randos submitting handwritten letters as amicus briefs in cases all the time. Other than a clerical error, why wouldn't a court "accept" the brief? It doesn't mean they are going to do anything with it, right?

You cannot imagine the hell that would result for those poor court staffers, if amicus briefs were automatically accepted/logged/stored.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

gregday posted:

At the trial level there isn't really a rule or case allowing amicus briefs that I'm aware of. In the DC case, Judge Chutkan got a bunch of nonsense-sounding motions last year and rejected them, writing that even if she treated them as motions for leave to file amicus briefs, there wasn't any reason to allow them.

There isn't a rule barring amicus briefs either, and the special counsel didn't oppose filing them in the FL case. It just means Judge Cannon will read them and the special counsel can respond separately.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Tesseraction posted:

But then Pmurt can’t brag that the majority of his donations come from African-Americans, which you know he would in the smarmiest way possible

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Funny thing is Trump hates the American First foundation because he feels it owes him money.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lammasu posted:

Funny thing is Trump hates the American First foundation everything because he feels it owes him money.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump cannot delay enforcement of $83.3 million verdict in E. Jean Carroll case

quote:

A federal judge on Thursday denied Donald Trump's request to delay enforcement of the writer E. Jean Carroll's $83.3 million verdict in her recent defamation case.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan in Manhattan adds to pressure on the former U.S. president to line up an acceptable bond during his expected appeal.

In the Jan. 26 verdict, jurors agreed with Carroll, a former Elle magazine advice columnist, that Trump had defamed her in June 2019 by denying he had raped her in the mid-1990s in a Bergdorf Goodman department store dressing room in Manhattan.

Kaplan made the verdict official on Feb. 8, and gave Trump 30 days to post a bond or come up with cash during his appeal, which is expected to challenge the jury's finding of liability and the amount of damages.

Trump had sought to delay enforcement of the verdict until the judge ruled on his motions to throw it out, which he filed on Tuesday.

But the judge said Trump should not have waited 25 days after the verdict before seeking a delay.

He also said Trump failed to show how he might suffer "irreparable injury" if required to post a bond.

"Mr. Trump's current situation is a result of his own dilatory actions," the judge wrote.

Lawyers and a spokeswoman for Trump did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Carroll's lawyer Roberta Kaplan, who is not related to the judge, declined to comment.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
If Trump was capable of putting up the money, he would have done it by now. I wonder what bankruptcy would do to a presidential campaign.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
We sure about that? Trump's status of "not gonna pay for anything" fuckwad is legendary

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jaxyon posted:

We sure about that? Trump's status of "not gonna pay for anything" fuckwad is legendary

True, but his "appear as wealthy as possible" trait is at least as strong, and this is starting to threaten that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Does he have to put up the money/bond by the end of the 8th or the 9th?

TheKub
May 11, 2006

dpkg chopra posted:

Does he have to put up the money/bond by the end of the 8th or the 9th?

Feb 8th +30 is Mar 9. That's a Saturday so probably no action until Monday the 11th would be my guess.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Presumably it would be no activity until Monday either way just because... well... it's Friday.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The article I just read said the money is due by 5 PM Saturday.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

TheKub posted:

Feb 8th +30 is Mar 9. That's a Saturday so probably no action until Monday the 11th would be my guess.

You shut up with this Monday the 11th nonsense, I want my birthday present!

Lammasu posted:

The article I just read said the money is due by 5 PM Saturday.

This is what I'm talking about.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The walls of MAL must be just coated in hamberder stains.

Seriously, the narcissistic meltdowns he's almost certainly having in private must be insane and make him absolutely miserable to be around.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Captain_Maclaine posted:

True, but his "appear as wealthy as possible" trait is at least as strong, and this is starting to threaten that.

Paying would be an admission of guilt. He will never voluntarily pay his own money.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Alkydere posted:

The walls of MAL must be just coated in hamberder stains.

Seriously, the narcissistic meltdowns he's almost certainly having in private must be insane and make him absolutely miserable to be around.

I picture Trump yelling "Das war ein Befehl!"

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Alkydere posted:

and make him absolutely miserable to be around.

Yes, we finally found the one thing that makes him miserable to be around.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I picture Trump yelling "Das war ein Befehl!"

I never got the appeal of the various tell-all books that came out of his White House.

But if we still have enough of a society in a couple years, I would love to read a book written by some random Mar-a-Lago staff about what the gently caress it was like in there 2020 on.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Can Trump's finances stand the scrutiny bankruptcy would put them under? One would think doing that would reveal infinite crimes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lammasu posted:

Can Trump's finances stand the scrutiny bankruptcy would put them under? One would think doing that would reveal infinite crimes.

A lot of his fines are to him personally so he can't just bankrupt trump org. and if he personally goes bankrupt well not sure how much he'd care about financial scrutiny. What the hell are more fines going to matter? The main thing a bankruptcy would do in that regard is all trumps debts would finally be public knowledge which is definitely something he wouldn't want for egos sake.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, how does Carrol get money from him?

I understand how the state of NY could just seize his property and stuff, but how does a private citizen go about it?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Charlz Guybon posted:

I understand how the state of NY could just seize his property and stuff, but how does a private citizen go about it?

She doesn't. The state of NY gets it from him, and then she gets it from the court. The $5.5m from her last suit is already received from Trump and being held in escrow by the court pending the outcome of his appeal.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

As mush brained as Trump is he’s got people around him who do understand how to move money around and when it’s going to be available because I’m sure Trump spits hamberder grease and catchup all over people who gently caress up and miss deadlines and force penalty clause payments.

Even if he could have the money by Wednesday as he’s claiming it’s only because he wasn’t able to arrange it until just now. Maybe. I’m not actually convinced he has it, this may be just a ploy to save face and claim, “I just needed three more days, a little administrative stay, totally fine, do it every day but not for me, your favorite president, these leftist judges, whelp, now I’m not going to pay. See how they like it.”

Though Musk flying to Trump has got me concerned, the begger doesn’t summon the banker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

The same way the US government always takes money, in the form of iTunes gift cards.