Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

.... go to an elite school

Ehh I think they all gave up too. The HEPA filters are gone, no one is masking, they stopped asking people to test before trips, etc.

We get some "accommodations" for being at a private school I guess, like they aren't ripping my kid's mask off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Everyone I know in my life other than another covid thread goon has given up on any meaningful efforts and it bums me out. The last person I knew who seemed still mostly standing is going to Japan later this year.

A whole ton of people I've been talking to at work are sick right now. The place I'm getting a procedure at next week thankfully(?) has a notice on their website that since community transmission is so bad, they're requiring masks for everyone so I'm hoping that holds out until I'm done with my thing. They actually did have everyone in something the last time I was there, even if it was mostly surgical garbage.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
sure do wish there was some way for children and adults to socialize that wasn’t school or work!

oh well! Covid it is!

edit: and this is not trying to be critical of child havers. our social landscape is a loving hell and this is an awful intersection with that hell

tuyop has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Mar 8, 2024

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Fireside Nut posted:

I'm somewhere in the Midwest, but when I was picking up the scripts I asked if the $0 cost was run through insurance or a federal program and I was told it was the former. Fwiw, the tech said they didn't have any federal programs currently running for Pax or tests. :) This was through a regional grocery/pharmacy chain.

ah

cool :')

thanks for the info! and glad it worked in your favor (for now) (tools)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

tuyop posted:

sure do wish there was some way for children and adults to socialize that wasn’t school or work!

oh well! Covid it is!

someone is forgetting the safest place of all, restaurants

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
time for me to schedule my yearly physical

march wastewater still looking kinda high, maybe I’ll go in april

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Silent Linguist posted:

How are those of you with young kids coping with all this? I’ve been getting more and more worried and depressed thinking about my 3-year-old at daycare. There’s no way to get him to wear a mask all day, especially since no one else is. He’s been in daycare for over 2 years now and fortunately has so far avoided the insane infections that some kids have gotten (in fact he was barely sick this past year). But I feel like that could change in an instant. Just feeling kind of hopeless and almost regretting having a kid.

We still take COVID about as seriously as anyone with young kids attending in-person schools, including sending them to school in masks, keeping them up to date on their shots, wearing masks in indoor public places generally etc. It's not lost on me that all these precautions likely aren't any more effective than taking no precautions at all, for example the kids can wear masks to school but need to take them off in the crowded cafeteria to eat. We can only do the best we can. Fortunately we're all still healthy and the whole situation has helped motivate a renewed focus on staying healthy that has been very positive.

The clock is definitely ticking on wearing masks in school though. Probably at most another year or so before the kids decide to stop wearing them or the schools stop indulging the practice entirely.

As to your larger point, I don't regret having our kids who are great but certainly am not happy about the world we're making for young people.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

NeonPunk posted:

Someone smarter than me

Sorry, we ran out of those (due to lockdowns).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Real shame none of that government money around covid was spent on upgrading school air systems and instead went to tests they wont give out and instead just throw away.

also you know, a bunch of celeb businesses and landlords who still hosed their tenants over.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Real shame none of that government money around covid was spent on upgrading school air systems and instead went to tests they wont give out and instead just throw away.

also you know, a bunch of celeb businesses and landlords who still hosed their tenants over.

dont forget cops

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i would never forget the boys in blue

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Oracle posted:

welp got my ‘held up in customs’ message on those tests. It may be a blessing in disguise though, considering this

same. dhl is asking for fda and manufacturer information lol.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

We still take COVID about as seriously as anyone with young kids attending in-person schools, including sending them to school in masks, keeping them up to date on their shots, wearing masks in indoor public places generally etc. It's not lost on me that all these precautions likely aren't any more effective than taking no precautions at all, for example the kids can wear masks to school but need to take them off in the crowded cafeteria to eat. We can only do the best we can. Fortunately we're all still healthy and the whole situation has helped motivate a renewed focus on staying healthy that has been very positive.

The clock is definitely ticking on wearing masks in school though. Probably at most another year or so before the kids decide to stop wearing them or the schools stop indulging the practice entirely.

As to your larger point, I don't regret having our kids who are great but certainly am not happy about the world we're making for young people.

yeah, same.

sucks that this is where we are.

hope my kids don't stroke out at 30. ty, president biden. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Covid hospitalizations are still plateauing here in Melbourne Australia and not really dropping

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/infectious-diseases/victorian-covid-19-surveillance-report

The wastewater measures have dropped real low though so the state government is moving to fortnightly reporting due to "low covid activity"
https://twitter.com/dbRaevn/status/1765874382482928056

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
that's such bullshit. what are they possibly saving by not reporting weekly.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

least your state actually monitors it. queensland hasn't shared it since 2022!

bred
Oct 24, 2008
The Austrian triple dipper booger tests came today. Good til Jan 2026. Thanks for the tip!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

NeonPunk posted:

Someone smarter than me explain this

https://twitter.com/ejustin46/status/1765776038326386769

Is it basically saying that fungus and Covid are tag teaming together on a molecular level to help Covid infect us better?

Kinda concerning since it looks like it's a very common fungus found everywhere
fungus helps SARS-CoV-2 infect cells, SARS-CoV-2 infection reduces fungal immunity

perfect symbiosis. isn't nature beautiful :3:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CGI Stardust posted:

fungus helps SARS-CoV-2 infect cells, SARS-CoV-2 infection reduces fungal immunity

perfect symbiosis. isn't nature beautiful :3:

This is the kind of wacky poo poo you get evolving when you turn the entire world into a COVID virion factory.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

mycomancy posted:

This is the kind of wacky poo poo you get evolving when you turn the entire world into a COVID virion factory.

this is how a sentient space fungus ratatouilles us into doing its bidding

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
fungus needs to battle my toxoplasmosis before it takes over MY brain!!!!

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Yeah parents are screwed. there's no help for them out there, unless you're wealthy and go to an elite school. i have a friend who is a doctor, as is his wife, and they both wrote endless letters, attended every possible meeting, etc. etc. and the charter school their kid goes to still parroted "we have to follow the guidance."

their kid wore a mask still, but about a month in admitted shyly that he was taking it off because he was the only one with a mask on. he's had covid three times that i know of. and his dad is fabulously immune compromised, and had covid twice. paxlovid helped both times, but he was still deathly ill once.

what do you do???? all i can feel is sadness. being angry at... the CDC? biden? trump? idk, there's no solution. there was at one point.

e: and my friend also was pretty honest with me that he noticed a huge difference in his son's social skills before/during/after remote learning. my friend is on the "avoid covid at all costs" bus, but even he was happy to see his son back in school. i believe him.

too bad school is dangerous. great country.

Yea, we are doing the best we can. Fortunately, my wife is able to stay home and mostly homeschool the kids (almost 7 and 4), but we're part of a program with the district where our 1st grader spends about 2 hours in class, 3 times a week. He gets a lot out of being in class, especially since getting him to do 10 minutes of homework is harder than pulling teeth most days (we still read with him and do other learning activities, but I'm pretty sure he's ADHD so we're doing what we can). He's still masking, and he doesn't eat in person thanks to the shortened class time.

We feel completely abandoned by society. I got covid in 2020, which turned into pretty severe long covid. I kept my brain functioning enough to power through work (still remote), but my body is a total mess. We avoided covid again until last Oct, but I'm still trying to get back to where I was before that. I don't know how many more infections I can take before I can't handle work anymore. I get sick if our kids get even the slightest sniffle, so there's some amount of immune issues involved in my LC.

Everything sucks. Picked the worst time to be a parent.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Malgrin posted:

Everything sucks. Picked the worst time to be a parent.

ah, ah, ah! the worst time to be a parent so far.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Soap Scum posted:

lol. lmao.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Forget about wastewater data guys. A brand new way to collect data just dropped

https://twitter.com/ejustin46/status/1766152541018956107

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chamale has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Mar 8, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The notion that the world has the capacity within it for irrevocable change - or that, indeed, this is not the liberals' promised end of history but merely an era and what looks to be a very short one at that - is totally anathemic to our elite culture.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

this... may not be the best route to go at this PARTICULAR moment in the anthropocene

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
And then you have these people:

https://twitter.com/Iceman_Hof/status/1766162728513634810

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
My favorite thing about Wim Hof is that he has an identical twin brother who has the same cold tolerance despite doing none of the WIM HOF METHOD training bullshit.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
C/P from doomsday econ

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/3m-board-approves-healthcare-unit-spinoff-update-e08c4446

"biopharma filtration" likely doesn't encompass industrial PPE but who knows. maybe the Aura will be made by "Solventum" in the future.

A word I just "innovented" right now, Lemon.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

C/P from doomsday econ

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/3m-board-approves-healthcare-unit-spinoff-update-e08c4446

"biopharma filtration" likely doesn't encompass industrial PPE but who knows. maybe the Aura will be made by "Solventum" in the future.

A word I just "innovented" right now, Lemon.

They'll probably be paying daddy to manufacture solventum branded surgical respirators

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I’m having a great time raising my kid. I quit my job rather than pay 1200$ a month to get her sick every week. I don’t have to drive a car everyday and while she’s napping I garden or write or play guitar. I haven’t had a fever in years and my kid hasn’t ever been symptomatically sick beyond reactions to her Covid vaccine. I’m happy to not work directly for a boss who doesn’t give a gently caress about me. instead of destroying my body working maintenance or stocking shelves I’m doing it tossing my kid up in the air or stepping on toy cars in the dark. I know we are lucky in this regard. it’s a weird feeling to have it good while the world is falling apart around you.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Soap Scum posted:

i mean i dunno, manchester in the 1850s sounded pretty rough. there are some other times no doubt

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

mags posted:

... it’s a weird feeling to have it good while the world is falling apart around you.

I know exactly how you feel, while I experienced COVID with the same amount of shock and dismay that everyone did, pretty much all of the things in my life started to improve. I found my current girlfriend, inherited a significant amount of money two times, and never got sick until 2022.

There's more but everyone gets upset at me when I start to talk about how good COVID was for me so we'll stop here.

oxyrosis has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Mar 8, 2024

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Looks like it's not just Washington state that has declines in wastewater.

https://twitter.com/JPWeiland/status/1766194632768077937

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Just a reminder that WSU students will be leaving today for Spring Break :dance:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

oxyrosis posted:

There's more but everyone gets upset at me when I start to talk about how good COVID was for me so we'll stop here.

yeah 2020 was a great year for me. 2019 was an absolute poo poo show, but to be “lockdowned” away from the office was phenomenal. no commuting, no break rooms. great stuff. my partner was also working from home, so we’d bike in the mornings and go for walks at lunch and camp on the weekends.

australia had a nice 2 year buffer before the gates opened in 2022 :smith:

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

oxyrosis posted:

I know exactly how you feel, while I experienced COVID with the same amount of shock and dismay that everyone did, pretty much all of the things in my life started to improve. I found my current girlfriend, inherited a significant amount of money two times, and never got sick until 2022.

I know this feeling. Been out of public facing work, inherited house/land in the boondocks, getting to spend my time taking care of my partner/parents has been amazing since COVID hit. There aren't a lot of people I have the opportunity to brag to, but I definitely know the tendency to bite my tongue while most people's worlds are burning.

I do brag about not getting COVID yet though, partially to get my idiot friends to hopefully mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The spring of 2020 was like hitting the randomize button on everybody's well-being. If you were an essential worker it was horrible, and in many places you were not even allowed to quit. If you got covid, you had a 1 in 60 chance of dying. But if your job was furloughed, it was a few months of getting paid to stay home and talk to friends over Zoom. Here in Canada, many low-income people suddenly had a lot more money than usual.