Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t know if I just haven’t noticed it before but Yuffie will not stop singing while I’m riding around Cosmo Canyon

I’m on a chocobo
You’re on a chocobo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t know if I just haven’t noticed it before but Yuffie will not stop singing while I’m riding around Cosmo Canyon

I’m on a chocobo
You’re on a chocobo

So you think you can ride this chocobo?
Got Chocobucks? You better put them on this chocobo!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

you can disable them. for that minigame it’s practically mandatory

Wait. Really? How do you do this?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Wait. Really? How do you do this?

system, game options, trigger effects are near the bottom of the list. they’re set to 3 by default, 0 disables them

you can also switch them off universally through the console I’m pretty sure

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Haptics rule but turn them off for that one or your knuckles will get tired

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Will you not just fail the green prompts then?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I tried turning haptics to 0 for the mashes but that just made the half-crunches impossible for me. I didn't try either 1 or 2, but I bit the bullet and set it back to 3 and after a google search on what exactly the half-crunches want you to do and a one-time fuckup beat Jules that way. poo poo sucks and hopefully it's not as miserable when it comes to pc, throw them a bone for having to wait.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think they will reduce the difficulty because they did that in Remake. Jules didn't break your spirit in that game nearly as badly as he does here and in my last playthrough, which was a week ago, Jules wasn't as hard as I remembered. Wasn't super easy but manageable if you got the rhythm down.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I finally got to the situp minigame. I figured everyone was exaggerating but yep this sucks!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I apparently have around 50 hours in the game at late chapter 8. PS5 says 55, but at least a couple of those are from idling so I rounded down to 50.

Sad to be reaching the latter parts, but I have tactically reserved Baldur's Gate 3 for after I finish this.

Thundarr posted:

Had to stop playing early for the night, Jules is just too cruel and my hands can only take so much. I got within a few seconds of beating him a couple times, only to biff it at the last second and he caught up.

I'm not sure if it's even possible to make a mistake and still win. Maybe if you made a mistake at the very beginning and performed at maximum speed the rest of the run?

When I finally won it was by 7, but you get behind like 10+ from a mistake later on. I'd just reset as soon as I hit a mistake (it owns that you can do this for minigames now).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You absolutely can make a mistake and win, it just depends heavily on when you do it. Near the start or finish is fine, but if you mess up midway through you might as well just reset.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Onmi posted:

Elena strikes the perfect balance between an eager newbie recruit and desperately trying to emulate Reno to make up for his absence.

She is hilarious.

She also makes me feel bad for Rude, who gives off a strong "what did I do to deserve this" vibe, in his extremely reserved way.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Quinton posted:

She also makes me feel bad for Rude, who gives off a strong "what did I do to deserve this" vibe, in his extremely reserved way.

I mean, Rude's entire character is insisting that he doesn't deserve this just because of all the bad things he did and is doing currently.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kinda worried about the presumed later 4/5* brawling minigame opponents, since I had some trouble with the 3* one (the final one available when you first encounter the minigame).

I actually kinda like the game in theory, and felt myself gradually getting better, but I'm not sure if I could handle some hypothetical enemy with 3 different moves for each side.

ImpAtom posted:

You absolutely can make a mistake and win, it just depends heavily on when you do it. Near the start or finish is fine, but if you mess up midway through you might as well just reset.

That's true, right near the end would have been okay since I was 7 ahead. But it's usually a death sentence (and IMO you may as well reset if it's early on).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rude is such a gently caress that not even having one of the funniest scenes in the game to humanize him really reduced me hating him. Pretty good character

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kinda worried about the presumed later 4/5* brawling minigame opponents, since I had some trouble with the 3* one (the final one available when you first encounter the minigame).

I actually kinda like the game in theory, and felt myself gradually getting better, but I'm not sure if I could handle some hypothetical enemy with 3 different moves for each side.

That's true, right near the end would have been okay since I was 7 ahead. But it's usually a death sentence (and IMO you may as well reset if it's early on).

I've said it before but:

Pause. You can pause when the enemy pulls their arm back, register which it is, hold the stick in the direction to dodge/avoid it, and unpause and you'll avoid it 100% of the time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, Rude's entire character is insisting that he doesn't deserve this just because of all the bad things he did and is doing currently.

It's easy to forget how Rude/Reno are literally directly responsible for detaching the plate. They feel bad about it, and they should! They are literally mass murderers! During one of the early/middle chapters Rufus even points out that no one directly opposed his dad's orders. And Reno/Rude were even in a position to easily "mistakenly" fail at their task, and it took great effort on their part to complete the mission.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Reno and Rude are just businessmen doing business.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is anyone else having trouble with Cactuar Crush? I can barely crack 700. I’m using Doppelgänger and everything, but no dice.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with Cactuar Crush? I can barely crack 700. I’m using Doppelgänger and everything, but no dice.

For the first one just spam the aoe wind attack whatever it's called. I didn't even have doppel when I did it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

GateOfD posted:

right now having trouble getting the AI to heal me and I seem to always manually tell them to cure me.
granted it is the beginning of the game, so i don't have all the resource perks to use abilities as I like
That's intentional behavior. They won't heal you on their own; the game wants you to be switching characters constantly to build bar and use abilities. The thought process should be that there aren't AI characters, you control the entire party, just one at a time. That said, you can get an Auto-Cast materia and link it to a Healing materia and that'll get them to spend their bar on Cure if you need it... but ATB gain is vastly decreased when you're not controlling someone, so if you need a heal, the best play is still to switch to your healer and get some bar.

Augus posted:

square pls chill with the unreal engine auto-exposure I can't see dick in this jungle

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yakuza 8 was also really bad about this so I am now categorizing it as a AAA JRPG thing more broadly
It's a way to hide loading iirc. Your character's eyes adjust once the game has loaded in the new textures.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Pollyanna posted:

With Yuffie I found that using her 0mp Ice spell worked best against the oranges, otherwise toss your shuriken into them and go ham with basic attack. Against greenies used Art of War when available. Was sad that shuriken toss into Windstorm didn't seem as good as it was in Intermission.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Pollyanna posted:

I had trouble and some YouTube video mentioned using Yuffies wind skill (can’t remember the name right offhand) that pulls enemies in

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It's very possible to do crunches without haptics, you just have to slow down a bit and not slam the trigger down when a green note comes up. Even against Jules if you play it safe on those and keep pace otherwise you can knock him out by a good 5+.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think he really does this?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

It's easy to forget how Rude/Reno are literally directly responsible for detaching the plate. They feel bad about it, and they should! They are literally mass murderers! During one of the early/middle chapters Rufus even points out that no one directly opposed his dad's orders. And Reno/Rude were even in a position to easily "mistakenly" fail at their task, and it took great effort on their part to complete the mission.

Tbf reno did fail he had a chance to hit the switch and then stopped to turn around and fight the party . You can say that's just cutscene villain incompetence but taken with how he acts during the rest of the mission and afterwards it absolutely reads as a deliberate choice to me

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Ytlaya posted:

One of the most meaningful changes, though subtle, is the difference in Reno's attitude in the Remake compared to the original -- in the Remake, Reno explicitly does not go through with dropping the plate, and it's logical to infer that he couldn't do it on account of his conscience finally screaming at him. His characterization up to that point is also that he's only obeying his orders through gritted teeth. The Whispers even tried to compel him to push the button, and he didn't. Rude does it instead, and he's not even present in the OG at that scene. This is not to absolve Reno of all the horrible stuff he's likely done as a Turk, but it's meaningful because it seems to clearly communicate Reno has an upcoming face turn that more closely aligns to his Compilation materials depiction, where he's firmly a good guy.

The consequence of all this Reno redemption is that it makes Rude even more contemptible. Final Fantasy does this with a lot of its antagonists generally, and 7 does it a LOT, particularly in post-facto characterization in supplementary stuff and in sequels, but the only way to really enjoy Rude is to forget he's directly responsible for the deaths of a lot of people and has exhibited zero remorse. His veneer of professionalism is gross and self-serving. Rude sucks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reno didn't have his heart in it but he was gonna pull that switch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For what it is worth Reno and Rude are under 'if we act out we and a lot of people we know are going to die' prohibitions as of Before Crisis. Doesn't excuse it but Shinra was pretty prepped to murder the Turks for anything less than perfect loyalty.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lmao at Aerith getting loopy from oxygen deprivation while climbing Mt. Corel.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

One of the most meaningful changes, though subtle, is the difference in Reno's attitude in the Remake compared to the original -- in the Remake, Reno explicitly does not go through with dropping the plate, and it's logical to infer that he couldn't do it on account of his conscience finally screaming at him. His characterization up to that point is also that he's only obeying his orders through gritted teeth. The Whispers even tried to compel him to push the button, and he didn't. Rude does it instead, and he's not even present in the OG at that scene. This is not to absolve Reno of all the horrible stuff he's likely done as a Turk, but it's meaningful because it seems to clearly communicate Reno has an upcoming face turn that more closely aligns to his Compilation materials depiction, where he's firmly a good guy.

The consequence of all this Reno redemption is that it makes Rude even more contemptible. Final Fantasy does this with a lot of its antagonists generally, and 7 does it a LOT, particularly in post-facto characterization in supplementary stuff and in sequels, but the only way to really enjoy Rude is to forget he's directly responsible for the deaths of a lot of people and has exhibited zero remorse. His veneer of professionalism is gross and self-serving. Rude sucks.

That's true - Reno is obviously miserable with most of the stuff he's doing in Remake (I think it's why he's on vacation at the beginning of Rebirth?) and I forgot that Rude was the main one responsible for the plate.

Isn't Rude the one who deliberately fucks up Reno's aim when he's trying to gun down Cloud (and I think Tifa?), though? The motivations there are a bit confusing. Like Rude has more pity towards people he recognizes but less towards "random people."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway the Turks are cool guys who in the original FF7 (and the compilation material) are an endearing recurring boss trio who also murdered a bunch of people because "it's just business baby" who are humanised through being involved in a lot of goofy scenes and basically end up becoming something of a pal (aside from Tseng who isn't in any of the funny scenes the trio has and just gets to be straitforwardly villainous). Kinda Gilgamesh of them in a sense.

7R basically keeps that attitude. I don't really get the sense we're supposed to think Reno is "the good one" while Rude is the "bad one".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Lmao at Aerith getting loopy from oxygen deprivation while climbing Mt. Corel.

my favorite bit there was yuffie's taunting graffiti of herself and barret changing to barret in tears and her looking concerned/confused at the foot of the stairs. poor guy might have some lingering trauma from shinra tower

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Ytlaya posted:

That's true - Reno is obviously miserable with most of the stuff he's doing in Remake (I think it's why he's on vacation at the beginning of Rebirth?) and I forgot that Rude was the main one responsible for the plate.

Isn't Rude the one who deliberately fucks up Reno's aim when he's trying to gun down Cloud (and I think Tifa?), though? The motivations there are a bit confusing. Like Rude has more pity towards people he recognizes but less towards "random people."

Well in the original there was that whole thing about him having a crush on Tifa so I think it was just a nod to that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Rude stops Reno there because of his crush on Tifa. He also doesn't like to attack Tifa in combat--he avoids it in Remake when possible IIRC, and apologizes when he does so in Rebirth.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Reno didn't have his heart in it but he was gonna pull that switch.
In the OG Reno fights you solo, acts smug as gently caress, presses the button, and literally runs off-screen. He's a cackling villain. In the Remake, in addition to his complaining before you're finished climbing the support pillar, he authorizes the plate drop per orders, then doesn't push the button -- intentionally. Cloud even goads him into doing it and he doesn't. Reno doesn't want to be a part of that mission at all, and seems to participate chiefly because of his hate-crush on Cloud so that he can demonstrate he's totally cooler and better than a First Class. He still comes off as very resigned to the plate dropping, but Rude is the only actively working really hard to push that button and kill those people. He comes off way, way worse than Reno does. You have to figure that's a conscious choice by the writer(s).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This is a minuscule detail but I enjoyed how many little signs and stuff where they left the writing in japanese, including yuffie's graffiti. Just one more small way to make the world feel that little bit more disorienting.

Really as I sit with the experience of the whole game I feel like my main takeaway is the beautiful/alienating vibes of the world are just immaculate

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He also doesn't attach Aerith in his first Remake boss fight.

Rude is 'nicer' and more of a gentlemen than the other Turks but he is more professional than his partner, which means while he is less of an rear end in a top hat than Rude he is less likely to complain about orders and more dedicated to getting the job done, even if that job is awful. Reno is the hothead so he'll complain to his bosses but also he'll be an rear end to the people he's fighting even if he thinks he's in the wrong with the job he's got.

E: And I think the additional scenes the two get is more to further develop their characterisation than to like change Turk perception from the OG so that one is the "good" Turk and the other is the "evil" Turk.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 8, 2024

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

Reno has no problem trying to kill you guys because you're Enemy Combatants. He'd prefer to fight you cleanly, but orders are orders. He obviously has problems with involving a colossal number of innocent civilians, however, which is wholly absent in the original game. He's miserable doing this poo poo, and only derives any joy out of trying to illustrate that he's totally cooler and handsomer than Cloud, First Class rear end in a top hat.

Rude is philosophically the opposite. Abstract people are apparently whatever -- you just do your job and if a bunch of people die, them's the breaks. Specific people, however, particularly Tifa because he's interested in her, he's less likely to treat it as some kind of personal grudge or actively try to gruesomely murder them or whatever.

e: like, Reno's objections aren't "man what a hassle having to exterminate all these people," they are moral objections. His characterization is absolutely different than the original source material

I also don't think Rude is meant in text to be the Bad Turk, because he gets comedy beats in Rebirth, he just is the Worst Turk because of the whole mass killing thing

Rude is only changed as a consequence of them humanizing Reno more is what I'm driving at

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm only at Junon, so I've only seen Rude in the Mythril Mines, but I really thought Cloud/Tifa/especially Barret were going to be way more antagonistic to Rude. He should almost be execute-on-sight since they literally saw Rude drop the plate.