Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
for limited players cursed with an abundance of packs, I learned today that you can skip the stupid pack opening animations by clicking on Codex of the Multiverse in the top right. There's no loading screen lag so you can quickly jump back into the Packs tab from there. Not sure if this will work on mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Jabor posted:

Back in the day, you would write your deck name on the deck list that you had to submit at major events, and that name is what the coverage folks would call it. People would use all sorts of memes, in-jokes, callouts to their friends, etc. - and the person to first get success with a particular archetype would essentially decide what it was called going forwards.

Then Wizards decided to ignore what players wrote on the decklist and just start calling everything "<colors> <archetype>", as part of a push to make coverage more accessible to new players and people who weren't already plugged in to the competitive community.

tired: Rakdos Vampires
wired: Sorin Tell

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

wei posted:

for limited players cursed with an abundance of packs, I learned today that you can skip the stupid pack opening animations by clicking on Codex of the Multiverse in the top right. There's no loading screen lag so you can quickly jump back into the Packs tab from there. Not sure if this will work on mobile.

god bless you

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

wei posted:

!!!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

ah!!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
thanks for the hearthstone replies. i'll continue to steer clear.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

went 7-1 in an Eldraine draft with BG food :toot:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

New event schedule up, seems like someone heard my wish* and they're consistently doing more throwback drafts now. Yippee! War of the Spark in a couple weeks, then a "Chaos Draft Ravnica" thing.

*Maybe they did this last year and I just blanked? Would swear they only did a couple nonstandard ones, but could be wrong.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Did anyone who is able to log in and play have any trouble replaying last week’s MKM festival deck event? It was the event with a 2500 gold entry fee and lovely reward styles. Instead of letting you play until the event ends (as was claimed), did anyone’s PLAY button turn into a HOME button that just took you back to the Home Screen after getting all the card styles?

I ask because there is a rumor going around that such an issue could be related to being locked out of your account due to yesterday’s update. Trying to shed some light on this and figure this out for Wizards because if I don’t solve this issue for them myself in a few day’s time (they certainly loving won’t) then I’m going to lose my bomb rear end draft deck that has Gruff Trips in it and I will never ever forgive them for that.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Born in Bexhill posted:

Did anyone who is able to log in and play have any trouble replaying last week’s MKM festival deck event? It was the event with a 2500 gold entry fee and lovely reward styles. Instead of letting you play until the event ends (as was claimed), did anyone’s PLAY button turn into a HOME button that just took you back to the Home Screen after getting all the card styles?

I ask because there is a rumor going around that such an issue could be related to being locked out of your account due to yesterday’s update. Trying to shed some light on this and figure this out for Wizards because if I don’t solve this issue for them myself in a few day’s time (they certainly loving won’t) then I’m going to lose my bomb rear end draft deck that has Gruff Trips in it and I will never ever forgive them for that.
That exact issue happened to me and i can't login right now so maybe? Wouldn't be any less silly than getting locked out because of a brawl deck.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Did another MKM Premier. I'm not super interested in the Alchemy cards, and contrary to some previous sets, I don't really feel the need to spice it up - the format is quite deep and diverse, so I'm nowhere near bored.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/67a5c3beb9fa424ab18acbf40915f64c

This had some very uninspiring packs early on, so I took Chalk Outline on a whim and went :stare: when I saw Roots P1P8. waters jumped in at that point and we proceeded to draft a Sultai GY deck together, this time with payoffs!

We decided to go a bit heavier on the blue, both to make sure that we can play the rather early drops, and to be able to activate Hull Clade if need be. Two Striders should smooth things enough that I won't be hurting for Forests.

First game was a decisive 1-0 already, let's see where this goes!

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Hearthstone has some very good single-player roguelike experiences in its Dungeon Run modes. This doesn't contradict all of the things people don't like about it, but might be relevant to someone who enjoyed that part of Runeterra.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i wouldn't not recommend hearthstone or runeterra or marvel snap for people who want a break from mtga and/or want a card game that's more suited for phone play, but you're going to be disappointed by the relative lack of decisions and strategic play & will also find how much worse card collection acquisition can be

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

Retcon posted:

That exact issue happened to me and i can't login right now so maybe? Wouldn't be any less silly than getting locked out because of a brawl deck.

I really believe in my heart that it is something this completely stupid.

Wizards tech support emailed me back with no acknowledgement of the issue yet there are many accounts experiencing it. This was after I suggested what the problem might be. Not “oh, we are getting similar reports, we will look into it.” Just a “no, it’s your problem” lol

If you haven’t you could vote on the bugs here on Wizards website to increase visibility here:

https://feedback.wizards.com/forums/918667-mtg-arena-bugs-product-suggestions/suggestions/48102518-error-updating-data-pc-and-mobile

and/or here:

https://feedback.wizards.com/forums/918667-mtg-arena-bugs-product-suggestions/suggestions/40019767-error-updating-data

I’m going to continue my crusade on Reddit (drat you wizards for making me post there)

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Ok hot fix worked! I’ll shut up now. See you at the tables

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Playing with a deck i don’t know, empty handed at one life, one creature in play facing an Urabrask's Forge, and a Phyrexian Dragon Engine in the graveyard, about to concede: “I’m dead unless the top of the deck somehow gains me 10.”

Proceeds to draw Titania’s Command.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Arena just got me. I thought I was being smart by choosing a creature with Disguise to "incorporate" and then the cost to cast the creature face down was 4G instead of 3. The casting cost wasn't increased, the card gained "This spell costs 1G more to cast."

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

odiv posted:

Arena just got me. I thought I was being smart by choosing a creature with Disguise to "incorporate" and then the cost to cast the creature face down was 4G instead of 3. The casting cost wasn't increased, the card gained "This spell costs 1G more to cast."

It doesn't actually cost more, the UI just lies to you

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Eeevil posted:

It doesn't actually cost more, the UI just lies to you
Wow yeah, does it ever. Here I thought it would have made "sense" with alchemy rules too since it has an ability where I can cast it for 3 face down and also it perpetually costs 1G more to "cast".

Thanks for letting me know.

odiv fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 8, 2024

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
It's kind of a shame, actually, it'd be interesting, at the very least, if Disguise creatures could provide more up-front value by Incorporating. As it is, most Incorporates are wasted on Disguise creatures, since the cast triggers don't go off. On the other hand, Guildpact Greenwalker might actually offer some benefit, since Incorporate only applies to the casting cost. It's essentially +4/+4 to a Disguise creature for free.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, that's the one I used which made me feel clever, then cheated. Then now I guess clever again.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

odiv posted:

Yeah, that's the one I used which made me feel clever, then cheated. Then now I guess clever again.

I bet there's a reasonably interesting deck to be had in combining Scrutiny of the Guildpact and Guildpact Greenwalker with some Disguise creatures. Unyielding Gatekeeper seems like a natural fit, since it flips on the cheap, recycles Greenwalker's ETB, and it starts out White so it gains multicolor benefits when incorporating Green. Forum Familiar can do something similar, though less mana-efficiently (though you get more control over when to use it again). Essence of Antiquity becomes a solid threat with five power, and can't be hit with removal the turn it flips. Naturally, you'd want to incorporate Scrutiny onto a Greenwalker so it Wards itself.

I might have to try it out sometime, actually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Strange that Arena doesn’t remind you whether you were on the play, on cards that care about that. Exactly the kind of thing you’d expect a digital only implementation to get right.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rinkles posted:

Strange that Arena doesn’t remind you whether you were on the play, on cards that care about that. Exactly the kind of thing you’d expect a digital only implementation to get right.

Last time I played one of those cards (months ago probably) right clicking on it told you who went first

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hmm, I was playing on iPad and I’m pretty sure i long pressed it to bring up the full card, but maybe I’m misremembering.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Speaking of seeing things that are Arena-specific, is there a way to see all the cards in something's "spellbook"? I don't play with it against Alchemy cards very often (historic wizards notwithstanding) and I don't encounter them often enough to know what poo poo does. Right clicking obviously brings up the big card, but can you scroll through them?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

go to the style changing dealie and keep right clicking

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
https://mtgazone.com/free-1500-mtg-arena-gems-for-magic-spellslingers-players-game-announces-shut-down/

Possible 1500 free gems for linking this Spellslingers game to your WOTC account. Reddit not sure if it applies after the announcement but it takes a minute so let's see on March 29!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

https://mtgazone.com/free-1500-mtg-arena-gems-for-magic-spellslingers-players-game-announces-shut-down/

Possible 1500 free gems for linking this Spellslingers game to your WOTC account. Reddit not sure if it applies after the announcement but it takes a minute so let's see on March 29!

It only applies to people who were playing the game before March 6th, so anyone who didn't already play the game is outta luck, to be clear.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

EclecticTastes posted:

It only applies to people who were playing the game before March 6th, so anyone who didn't already play the game is outta luck, to be clear.

True. But this is the same company that had the quest bug for years and just fired a bunch of developers. Who knows. It may give it to everyone or maybe it'll subtract 1500 gems from your account.:classiclol:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"i'm going to make 15 copies of 15 permanents!" my brother shouts

"NO" shouts the game

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Just had a huge close call of a misplay that fortunately my opponent didn't spot. Cast Extract a Confession into a Teysa and since they didn't have anything else on board, I figured I didn't need to collect evidence. Only once the spell was on the stack did I realize they had a Pipe they could sacrifice to make a spirit and save the Teysa.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

rickiep00h posted:

Speaking of seeing things that are Arena-specific, is there a way to see all the cards in something's "spellbook"? I don't play with it against Alchemy cards very often (historic wizards notwithstanding) and I don't encounter them often enough to know what poo poo does. Right clicking obviously brings up the big card, but can you scroll through them?

Yes, bring up the big card and then right click some more on the big card to cycle through them

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

"i'm going to make 15 copies of 15 permanents!" my brother shouts

"NO" shouts the game

just Doppelgang things

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

resistentialism posted:

go to the style changing dealie and keep right clicking

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes, bring up the big card and then right click some more on the big card to cycle through them

Thanks!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Any suggested changes to this Simic WOE Quickdraft deck? It feels creature-light but I'm not sure what non-creature spells I should cut or what creatures in my sideboard are worth bringing in.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

anakha posted:

Any suggested changes to this Simic WOE Quickdraft deck? It feels creature-light but I'm not sure what non-creature spells I should cut or what creatures in my sideboard are worth bringing in.

Main problem is you hard committed to the weakest colour pair in the set off your first pick. Goose is easily splashable and you had a VERY good black deck flowing through your position and you probably could have ended up BGu.

With the deck you actually have, I think your best bet is to play off the Gluttons and a bunch of bargain fodder. Picklock Prankster is a weird fit because I was shaving instants and sorceries for enchantments to feed to Glutton, but you need action on turn 2 so you don't just get rolled by aggro decks. Maybe play Beluna's Gatekeeper but it's really bad against opposing adventure creatures.

Here's where I ended up, but forgot to cut the Grotto for a Forest:
https://sealeddeck.tech/LLANZEz2cz

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think i'm well and truly done with emergent ultimatum being legal in brawl, especially now that everyone's long since figured out the right three cards to pick

edit: for the people unfamiliar, it's the one that tutors three monocolor cards out of your deck and the opponent picks one to shuffle back in and you can cast the other two for free & there's a few auto-win stacks you can assemble, usually either with omniscience or the toxic vraska + vorinclex. it's BBGGGUU so theoretically it should be too difficult to cast regularly but fixing's great especially with fetches in brawl

if they banned ugin for everpresence and inevitability they can bop emergent ultimatum

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 9, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it sucks that late-game commanders without access to blue just get wrecked. but i think most bug commanders end up in the higher queues, so you don't run into it often if you're playing some gimmicky trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

flatluigi posted:

i think i'm well and truly done with emergent ultimatum being legal in brawl, especially now that everyone's long since figured out the right three cards to pick

edit: for the people unfamiliar, it's the one that tutors three monocolor cards out of your deck and the opponent picks one to shuffle back in and you can cast the other two for free & there's a few auto-win stacks you can assemble, usually either with omniscience or the toxic vraska + vorinclex. it's BBGGGUU so theoretically it should be too difficult to cast regularly but fixing's great especially with fetches in brawl

if they banned ugin for everpresence and inevitability they can bop emergent ultimatum

Sometimes I used to see people who were pulling things which WEREN'T autowins with that card and just be like ??? ?? ????