Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm only at Junon, so I've only seen Rude in the Mythril Mines, but I really thought Cloud/Tifa/especially Barret were going to be way more antagonistic to Rude. He should almost be execute-on-sight since they literally saw Rude drop the plate.
Rude killed Jessie's mom, in addition to everyone else he killed. His being unsympathetic to that degree is proooobably? not entirely intentional, though. He's clearly meant to read as the consummate-pro empty suit with maybe a little something moving under the surface, but, again, he killed Jessie's mom (and everyone else who lived on the plate and beneath it in Sector 7).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sockser posted:

This colosseum fight vs 10 Tonberries sure isssssssssssssss excruciatingly boring

Death of 1000 cuts vs Death of 1 cut

Seems like the strat is to just put a revive materia on all 3 party members and try to corral them up into a heap for synergy attacks, but man it's so slow and plodding

The trick was Tifa's tier-2 triangle. Does a good chunk of damage to them and gets you in and out real quick

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Kinda lost a lot of my steam for this game, there's just so much loving about. In the post gold saucer section and I just quit out of the game a couple of days ago when I found some dumbass mini game involving cactuars after having spent the last hour or 2 on dumbass mini games. Really doesn't help that the buggy sucks tremendous rear end. I'll maybe get back to it in a bit here but the overall pacing of rebirth is lousy compared to remake.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This fifth protorelic storyline is loving me up

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
turning off the haptics really helped with the sit up challenge so thanks for that tip, I hope to never see Jules again.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Yeah I had to slow way down on side quests and just on with the MSQ eventually. It’s gonna be a long time till the next one comes out. I can do side stuff later.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Me getting a cactaur minigame with yuffie: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me getting a cactaur minigame with aerith: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

No Mods No Masters posted:

Me getting a cactaur minigame with yuffie: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me getting a cactaur minigame with aerith: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Lol I was initially horrified by that but it ended up not being too bad

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Failboattootoot posted:

Kinda lost a lot of my steam for this game, there's just so much loving about. In the post gold saucer section and I just quit out of the game a couple of days ago when I found some dumbass mini game involving cactuars after having spent the last hour or 2 on dumbass mini games. Really doesn't help that the buggy sucks tremendous rear end. I'll maybe get back to it in a bit here but the overall pacing of rebirth is lousy compared to remake.
That stuff isn't compulsory though?? Like you can just decide that loving around isn't for you and go do the next plot beat???

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
LMAO posters ITT not wanting to believe the Turks are good guys. They literally help save the world in Advent Children too

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gologle posted:

LMAO posters ITT not wanting to believe the Turks are good guys. They literally help save the world in Advent Children too

From my foggy memories of the og the Turks come through in the end.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I really don't care for Cid being a quaint southern gentleman

He's supposed to be a dickhead :mad:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sockser posted:

I really don't care for Cid being a quaint southern gentleman

He's supposed to be a dickhead :mad:

I've only seen him in his initial scene and he was way too nice. Where's the bastard?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm only at Junon, so I've only seen Rude in the Mythril Mines, but I really thought Cloud/Tifa/especially Barret were going to be way more antagonistic to Rude. He should almost be execute-on-sight since they literally saw Rude drop the plate.

Yeah, the game feels like it's trying to flesh out some of this stuff in some ways, but ends up making other plot elements feel even more nonsensical. Same thing with (Costa del Sol spoilers) Hojo, where he tries to literally kidnap the entire party to take them to his torture dungeon *again* and afterwards there's some wishy-washy line about just letting him go. Or interrupting Yuffie's assassination attempt on Rufus, which made way more sense than the parade scheme.

I like that they're trying to create more context / insight wrt character motivations and plot beats and that trying to retro-fit stuff to a fairly goofy original plot that doesn't really hold up to logical scrutiny is a challenge, but I think there are a few spots where just doing a straight 1:1 adaptation of the scene would have been less weird.

Edit:

Also this crunches contest is maybe the worst minigame I have ever seen in a video game lol. It has retroactively made all the other ones I've complained about much more tolerable. I almost have to respect the decision to take the one universally reviled minigame from Remake and go "oh ok we'll make this one even shittier."

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 8, 2024

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

guts and bolts posted:

That stuff isn't compulsory though?? Like you can just decide that loving around isn't for you and go do the next plot beat???

There is something to be said for this game's approach (or lack thereof) to pacing though. Like, 80% of the game from halfway through chapter 4 through the end of 8 is minigames.

I love it but yeah, it's a lot

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I wonder if the difference is we are somehow KOing people in fights but going after them in cutscenes is killing them. I get the dissonance but these are still JRPG fights where people can run away at the end.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm 52 hours in and finally got Plasma Discharge

lol, lmao even

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cloud's sword is blunt as hell

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Holy moly the chicken sidequest. That ending 😭

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Holy moly the chicken sidequest. That ending 😭

The music alone makes the lovely mini game completely worth it

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, the game feels like it's trying to flesh out some of this stuff in some ways, but ends up making other plot elements feel even more nonsensical. Same thing with (Costa del Sol spoilers) Hojo, where he tries to literally kidnap the entire party to take them to his torture dungeon *again* and afterwards there's some wishy-washy line about just letting him go. Or interrupting Yuffie's assassination attempt on Rufus, which made way more sense than the parade scheme.

I like that they're trying to create more context / insight wrt character motivations and plot beats and that trying to retro-fit stuff to a fairly goofy original plot that doesn't really hold up to logical scrutiny is a challenge, but I think there are a few spots where just doing a straight 1:1 adaptation of the scene would have been less weird.

Characters tend to barely react to things that should be a big deal in this game in general. Most egregious to me so far was when (big chapter 9 spoilers) The whole party decides to collectively never bring up the fact that Cloud just inexplicably tried to murder Tifa

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

limp dick calvin posted:

I wonder if the difference is we are somehow KOing people in fights but going after them in cutscenes is killing them. I get the dissonance but these are still JRPG fights where people can run away at the end.

Fights are a gameplay abstraction so the player has a game to play

If narrative logic took precedence there would be very few actual fights, and way more blood when there are

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The gang is killing folk

E: Anyway, Gang lets Hojo go in Costa because they don't want to cause any more distress to this quaint Beach resort that has already had to deal with a giant robot attack. And Barret tries to stop the Rufus assassination because it's a real bad look for our gang if they are up their with their disguises off right in front of several people who totally know who they are and then the pres dies right in front of them. i don't think those scenes are so much wanting to depict "hey we don't kill round here!"

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 8, 2024

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

f#a# posted:

There is something to be said for this game's approach (or lack thereof) to pacing though. Like, 80% of the game from halfway through chapter 4 through the end of 8 is minigames.

I love it but yeah, it's a lot
There's a lot of "side content" to be sure, and I'm not trying to like, be a scold, or anything. But, again, the pacing is what you make it. If you mainline the MSQ, you can proceed from Junon and be straight up in Cosmo Canyon in a few hours' time, with the only mini-gaming that you do being a brief Gold Saucer interlude and a pair of turret shooting segments. Skipping things to advance the plot isn't even particularly penalized, because you can straight up miss weapons and they'll just be purchaseable in the next town you visit; even if your party level is a little lower, a lot of the best stuff for each character is relatively early in their folio, stuff like that. There is absolutely nothing coercing you into doing the other tasks if you hate them. Just, uh, don't. And if you're compelled to 100% the game after the fact, again, that's super doable.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I finally went back and beat Cameron lmfao this YGO poo poo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gologle posted:

Speaking of the Turks, I just did the protorelic side quest in Gongaga and it's revealed that Cissnei is a Turk but she doesn't say anything about it and leaves when this is discovered. Do you find out more about this later? Maybe in future side quests? I finished the main story already and it wasn't in there.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Rageaholic posted:

Speaking of the Turks, I just did the protorelic side quest in Gongaga and it's revealed that Cissnei is a Turk but she doesn't say anything about it and leaves when this is discovered. Do you find out more about this later? Maybe in future side quests? I finished the main story already and it wasn't in there.
Cissnei is from Before Crisis in the same way that that Glenn guy who keeps popping up is from Ever Crisis. They're equal parts fan service and minor plot expansions.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Finally did it. 50-49 and it was completely flawless. Goodness help anyone who just can't do that anymore, I barely can. Or if you have disabilities. Took a really fun callback to the original and make it suck rear end by using triggers not designed for precision. If they keep following this trend then Jules's minigame in the 3rd game will be even more bullshit. Maybe have to use the touchpad to flawlessly paint a Rembrandt? With any luck, the third game will start with an apocalyptic event and show the gym and everyone in it get destroyed to spare us from that hell.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

guts and bolts posted:

Cissnei is from Before Crisis in the same way that that Glenn guy who keeps popping up is from Ever Crisis. They're equal parts fan service and minor plot expansions.
Ah, okay. I didn't play either of those, so that explains it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

I think she is featured in the final gongaga sidequest though I haven't actually done it yet. As the previous poster said regarding her backstory, but honestly she has a "put in the game so we could put her in the trailers" kinda feel

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Bland posted:

Characters tend to barely react to things that should be a big deal in this game in general. Most egregious to me so far was when (big chapter 9 spoilers) The whole party decides to collectively never bring up the fact that Cloud just inexplicably tried to murder Tifa

This happens a chapter later, so spoilers, but there is a point where Barrett says something like, "Nibelheim isn't going to make Cloud freak out again, right?" and Red nudges him and quickly silences him. So maybe the party actually kind of sees what's going on, knows they still need to stick together to get anything done, so as long as the immediate danger has passed they think they can deal with it by keeping a close eye on him from now on. I'm still in Nibelheim so I don't know if that's where it goes. I guess he does still have an Aerith beating coming up, if the original story is followed. In general this game does try to have it both ways, with the fun open world RPG frolicking but also a mature reappraisal of the original story path and its implications, but I think it pretty much works. Seeing Cloud get deeper and deeper into his delusions as the party keeps growing closer together is a crazy feeling. Poor Tifa. But this all makes sense and should yield some epic confrontations and angst.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The latter makes sense, though. Rufus is in the middle of offering the group complete amnesty and all of Shinra off their rear end forever in exchange for killing Sephiroth, which is what they've been trying to do anyway, and he'll even presumably be offering assistance with that, even if it's just intel. So they get everything they want and give up nothing, it's the prize deal to end all deals. Barret even says out loud "not now" when he sees Yuffie starting to make her move; if she does it while Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith are right there on stage, he knows drat well who's gonna get the blame for it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rageaholic posted:

She's from Crisis Core and that stuff isn't really a spoiler from there. Game probably doesn't even intend it as much of a reveal since the Crisis Core remake came out last year.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

The latter makes sense, though. Rufus is in the middle of offering the group complete amnesty and all of Shinra off their rear end forever in exchange for killing Sephiroth, which is what they've been trying to do anyway, and he'll even presumably be offering assistance with that, even if it's just intel. So they get everything they want and give up nothing, it's the prize deal to end all deals. Barret even says out loud "not now" when he sees Yuffie starting to make her move; if she does it while Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith are right there on stage, he knows drat well who's gonna get the blame for it.

It's a little funny that yuffie never really gets confronted for her attempted murder but when anyone else wants to kill a named character it's an instant groupwide SMDH moment. Only one murder gremlin allowed on the team I suppose

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Barret is not really comfortable with cold blooded murder. Heck when he intitally proposes going up to Rufus he explicitly says he doesn't want to kill him just rough him up a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's a little funny that yuffie never really gets confronted for her attempted murder but when anyone else wants to kill a named character it's an instant groupwide SMDH moment. Only one murder gremlin allowed on the team I suppose

The party literally went up there to help her with the murder. They only stopped because Rufus was offering them a sweetheart deal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Finally did it. 50-49 and it was completely flawless. Goodness help anyone who just can't do that anymore, I barely can. Or if you have disabilities. Took a really fun callback to the original and make it suck rear end by using triggers not designed for precision. If they keep following this trend then Jules's minigame in the 3rd game will be even more bullshit. Maybe have to use the touchpad to flawlessly paint a Rembrandt? With any luck, the third game will start with an apocalyptic event and show the gym and everyone in it get destroyed to spare us from that hell.

The third game will use motion sensing to require that you literally do crunches IRL while pressing the buttons. The Dual Sense 6 will additionally have a heart rate sensor and you must keep it over 200.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ImpAtom posted:

The party literally went up there to help her with the murder. They only stopped because Rufus was offering them a sweetheart deal.

I don't think that's correct. As I recall, they were originally heading up there to shake him down for info by winning the presidential commendation and getting up close and personal.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Capfalcon posted:

I don't think that's correct. As I recall, they were originally heading up there to shake him down for info by winning the presidential commendation and getting up close and personal.
It's both. They first get the idea about heading up when Yuffie mentions her assassination and they're like "that seems like it'd serve our interests too, wonder if we can help" and then Cloud gets the idea to get a face to face meeting and hopefully at least clarify where they stand right now, since the Turks were sending mixed messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like they also weren't taking the teenaged ninja entirely seriously, and were surprised when she reminded them of her existence and turned out to be a legitimate killing machine.