Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

$500m out of the $600 million is an NSA contract to send all the data to their servers

don't be ridiculous, the NSA gets all that poo poo for free, they're selling all the data to 3rd party advertising companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BTC $70,000 by Saturday evening.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Japan has most likely entered a recession while experiencing high (for them) inflation. Household spending in jaunary was -6.3%

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
just have AI fly the complicated Boeing airplanes. they can respond in milliseconds and I'm sure will do a great job while saving money on pilot salaries. you can power the AI with engine burn. ok i solved it, give me a few million bux

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

don't be ridiculous, the NSA gets all that poo poo for free, they're selling all the data to 3rd party advertising companies

ok.. yeah fair enough

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

they'll be a shell of themselves in like 3-4 years

not dead, but the next thing will have probably come along by then, and all that walled data will basically be lost

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Azuth0667 posted:

No, but maybe you idiots should take off the tinfoil hat and stop smugging it up at people who don't believe your autism inspired doomsaying. When has this thread or goons in general been correct about a doomsday prediction? Nobody here is going to argue that things aren't getting worse but you might as well be another person on AM radio grifting a cult because the rapture is happening on THIS date with how lovely your posting is.

https://twitter.com/CopernicusECMWF/status/1765652854000296180

lol we're already at +2C you loving moron

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i know some people who publish about the economy and they say it's fine

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

not dead, but the next thing will have probably come along by then, and all that walled data will basically be lost

good, i hope so

also it wont be lost, there'll be copies on nsa's servers

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Mar 8, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

You shouldn't even bother with that guy. He has been an actual climate denier for as long as this thread has existed.

Edit: he was one of the gas stove posters too lol

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Mar 8, 2024

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Azuth0667 posted:

I know some of the people publishing climate science and its all an estimate so as usual goons could (are) be horribly wrong.

goons are wrong, but you are stupid on top of that

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
This is the chart that has me permanently crackpinged:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1765393958803517447

Look at the divergence in global ocean temps about 12 months ago, and try to imagine the amount of energy needed to ramp up temperatures that fast in that quantity of water.

:allears:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FistEnergy posted:

Look at the divergence in global ocean temps about 12 months ago, and try to imagine the amount of energy needed to ramp up temperatures that fast in that quantity of water.

Yup, a new record temp literally every single day for the last year. Nothing to see here, must be dooming in the doom thread.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have never died once in 14,000 days. Therefore I will live forever and your doomsday prophecy of my mortality is wrong.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

I know some of the people publishing climate science and its all an estimate so as usual goons could (are) be horribly wrong.

somehow you have made such a moronic statement that a dnd r-word loser got the up on you

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Xaris posted:

lotta bagholders out there giddy like piggies to hold citron's bags even though the idea of a public corporation IRC server should be a big lmao

good posting

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Personally while I agree climate change is bad and is gonna be especially bad for less privileged people, I think saying the world is doomed suspiciously seems to imply that China is doomed, which I doubt coming from anyone given how on the ball they are and how everything that has said they were doomed here to fore has been full of poo poo.

Now if you wanted to say that 90-99% of everyone who is or is living in a country that is a dog of the U.S. empire is doomed due to living somewhere that has no intention of properly responding to the changes to the climate, I'd say you've got a point there.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

cool blind link dude

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The deliberate burn of rail cars carrying hazardous chemicals after last year’s crash in East Palestine wasn’t needed to avoid an explosion because the rail cars were cooling off before they were set on fire, the head of the National Transportation Safety Board told U.S. Sen. JD Vance on Wednesday.
NTSB Chair Jennifer L. Homendy told Vance that rapidly increasing temperatures and “some sort of infusion of oxygen” would have been needed to make the rail cars explode, neither of which which was happening. She said the Norfolk Southern contractors lacked a scientific basis to support their conclusion the burn was needed.

At a hearing of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee, Homendy said the company should have let the hot rail cars cool down naturally. Although representatives of the OxyVinyls chemical shipping company were on the scene providing advice to Norfolk Southern’s contractor, Homendy said Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine and the on-site incident commander weren’t told they were present, so they were “provided incomplete information to make a decision.”
Vance, a Cincinnati Republican, called NTSB’s findings “extraordinary.”
“We were told effectively that there were two bad options the controlled burn or the uncontrolled explosion and it seems, based on the data that we have, that there was not a ton of reason to do the uncontrolled burn,” said Vance. “That, of course, is what spread toxic chemicals all over this community and the surrounding region. It’s really an extraordinary finding.”
The Feb. 3 Norfolk Southern derailment in East Palestine spilled toxic chemicals such as vinyl chloride, butyl acrylate, ethylhexyl acrylate, and ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. Federal and state officials, fearing the vinyl chloride tanks would explode, set them afire in a “controlled burn,” creating a massive plume of thick black smoke. Other chemicals seeped into local streams, killing fish and traveling down into the Ohio River.
The derailment forced thousands of people to evacuate East Palestine. Those who live near the site say they continue to experience strange illnesses that they believe are connected to the toxic chemical release, describing symptoms like rashes, nosebleeds and upper respiratory problems.
Agencies like the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Ohio EPA say their testing hasn’t found unsafe chemical levels in the area’s air, water or soil.

Vance questioned whether the rail company decided to risk polluting the community by burning the cars to allow faster resumption of rail traffic on the tracks.
“A lot of people, including me, are wondering, did they do this not because it was necessary, but because it allowed them to move traffic and freight more quickly?” said Vance.
Homendy told U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock, a Georgia Democrat, that NTSB is conducting a separate investigation of Norfolk Southern’s safety culture because the railroad was involved in eight accidents in a relatively short time period.
Cleveland.com has reached out to Norfolk Southern for comment on Homendy’s testimony.
A spokesman for Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said the incident commander at the scene made the decision to vent and burn the rail cars containing vinyl chloride because they were told the rail cars were likely to explode as the chemical heated up and expanded. If that had happened, it would have resulted in shrapnel being thrown out in addition to chemicals.
Nobody told DeWine, the incident commander or the other decision makers in the room that allowing the tanker cars to cool down by themselves was an option, said DeWine spokesman Dan Tierney.
“Obviously, the governor, the fire chief and all involved were trying to make the best decision for public safety,” said Tierney. “They had two bad options. They chose the scenario that would keep citizens safer. Doing nothing and having people be safe was not an option presented.”

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

cool blind link dude

At least it's not a twitter link

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
The entire apparatus is in denial, my guess is if economic news starts reporting on how climate change is directly affecting number, the system will move on to the next phase. Until then we just get bitcoin and houses I guess.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

thechosenone posted:

Personally while I agree climate change is bad and is gonna be especially bad for less privileged people, I think saying the world is doomed suspiciously seems to imply that China is doomed, which I doubt coming from anyone given how on the ball they are and how everything that has said they were doomed here to fore has been full of poo poo.

Now if you wanted to say that 90-99% of everyone who is or is living in a country that is a dog of the U.S. empire is doomed due to living somewhere that has no intention of properly responding to the changes to the climate, I'd say you've got a point there.

No single country can truly deal with climate change if the status quo rate of fossil fuel consumption worldwide continues. Without collective global action all anyone can do is manage the damage and treat the symptoms as they arise. And it's going to take decades to see what the severe symptoms even look like, we're at the very early stages still. Net food importers will not be in a good place, but China is probably rich and well-managed enough to mitigate a lot of that.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

going by the sea surface graph that literally keeps going up I fear some amazingly bad feedback loops have triggered and we all have far less time than anticipated, it cannot be overstated how horrific that graph is.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's pretty bad lol. not like we suddenly put that much more energy into the system.

i think we filled up the absorption capacity of the oceans finally.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
an el nino started last year too

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Iirc there was a reason they stopped trying to enforce laws like this after like 1905.

Making it illegal to be poor is not even particularly profitable for a state that runs workhouses. For a state that just incarcerates people, it's a huge drain.

Since you can't fine people with no money, you'd have to imprison them and, as when you imprison people you have to provide them with food, water, and shelter, and these are people who have none, you would actually do better to... just give it to them.

There's no punitive element, since you are penalizing something they have no control over, so you are just providing them with food and a place to sleep at much higher cost - courts, police, penitentiary staff. You could build a low security cell, of sorts, to hold the convict - where they would promise to not sleep in parks anymore. And then, you would provide them with food and water, of course. And you could probably save the state some money by matching them with a work release so they could buy their own food and water, but they would still have to stay in their cell to sleep instead of under bridges.

You could call it "public housing" and "full employment" or something, and it would eradicate people sleeping on public property.

hmmm sounds like COMMUNISM we got a COMMIE here boys throw em in the clink

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

copium

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

seriously I keep seeing stories of "experts" claiming that the record highs this year are due to el nino (and not anything else, don't worry about it!)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FistEnergy posted:

All threads in C-SPAM will eventually converge into one megathread.

:blessed:

Edit:

Mola Yam posted:

it's pretty bad lol. not like we suddenly put that much more energy into the system.

i think we filled up the absorption capacity of the oceans finally.

Things aren't that bad yet!

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 03:22 on Mar 8, 2024

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Ah yes. ASML. The crown jewel of Dutch industry and technology. Whose workforce is 40% foreigners.

Anyhow, time to crackdown on immigration into the country...

Dutch government scrambling to keep ASML in Netherlands

quote:

THE HAGUE (Reuters) -The Dutch government is talking with semiconductor equipment maker ASML to ensure that the Netherlands' largest company does not move to another country, or expand abroad, due to anti-immigration policies, the economy minister said.

Oh, well lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

If you didn't want the world moving into your country maybe you shouldn't tried to colonize it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

interesting. since there's a huge gap between this year and all the others, either this is the first el nino since before 1980 or things are definitely much different this year. I'll get our top scientists on it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gradenko_2000 posted:

seriously I keep seeing stories of "experts" claiming that the record highs this year are due to el nino (and not anything else, don't worry about it!)

it's probably a factor yeah, but not mentioning it at all when you're posting worried about ocean temps is definitely fear-mongery

it's also interesting that just mentioning it at all gets this weird pushback from multiple climate thread guys

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

hahahaha hahaha haha

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Everyone back to the biosphere containment zone, this is the thread for things that happen indoors

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Scarabrae posted:

drill the words faster than expected into your useless skull.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

thechosenone posted:

hahahahaha ahahhaa

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

thechosenone posted:

lol :ok:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Car Hater posted:

Everyone back to the biosphere containment zone, this is the thread for things that happen indoors

I mean yeah, as much as I agree with biosphere collapse, this isn’t that thread.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
this is the buy-o-sphere collapse thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
BUY-o-sphere