Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol I thought (chapter 8) Dyne sounded familiar, and his JP VA is the same guy who does Zeke from Xenoblade 2 (and a bunch of other characters, but I think that's where I recognized him from).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

I don't think that's correct. As I recall, they were originally heading up there to shake him down for info by winning the presidential commendation and getting up close and personal.

They originally get asked to go up and help Yuffie assassinate him and that is why they originally intend to head up, they shift their plan later on. They did straight up forget Yuffie exists though!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just got to Cosmo Canyon, and they’re doing something real weird here. Fascinating, though.. I wonder where this is going and if it’ll land.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

They originally get asked to go up and help Yuffie assassinate him and that is why they originally intend to head up, they shift their plan later on. They did straight up forget Yuffie exists though!

No that's not what happens. I've been streaming my playthrough for a friend so I went back and checked the footage to be sure. They're completely non-committal about Yuffie's assassination plan and she tells them they've been ratted out and bails without another word. Roche pulls up, says he's there for Aerith, and challenges Cloud to a duel in the city. After he leaves Tifa says they should go before they cause the locals any trouble, and it's only up top that they come up with talking to Rufus.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do you raise weapon level? I’m a little confused on what “upgrading” weapons means, because as far as I can tell there’s just a couple slots for bonus skills for each weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

How do you raise weapon level?

It happens passively as you gain SP.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

CapnAndy posted:

The latter makes sense, though. Rufus is in the middle of offering the group complete amnesty and all of Shinra off their rear end forever in exchange for killing Sephiroth, which is what they've been trying to do anyway, and he'll even presumably be offering assistance with that, even if it's just intel. So they get everything they want and give up nothing, it's the prize deal to end all deals. Barret even says out loud "not now" when he sees Yuffie starting to make her move; if she does it while Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith are right there on stage, he knows drat well who's gonna get the blame for it.

That's fair, but they're still wanted criminals with what is, based on the amount of gil in my inventory, roughly a billion dollar bounty on their heads and their mugshots plastered everywhere, and anyone who isn't staunchly anti-Shinra thinks they are basically ISIS, so I'm not sure how much it would really matter if they also got blamed for that. Also kinda weird that Heidegger took the shuriken for him - he seems to be an opportunistic yes-man more than a true believer, and wouldn't Rufus dying basically de-facto put him in charge?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harrow posted:

It happens passively as you gain SP.

Then is there a way to gain SP other than leveling up and folio items? And what’s the deal with the not-materia for each weapon?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Then is there a way to gain SP other than leveling up and folio items? And what’s the deal with the not-materia for each weapon?

Nope, just leveling up and manuscripts.

I think you're talking about weapon skills there. You learn new ones on each weapon as they level up, and you also gain more slots for them at certain weapon levels. They take the place of the weapon upgrades from Remake.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

That's fair, but they're still wanted criminals with what is, based on the amount of gil in my inventory, roughly a billion dollar bounty on their heads and their mugshots plastered everywhere, and anyone who isn't staunchly anti-Shinra thinks they are basically ISIS, so I'm not sure how much it would really matter if they also got blamed for that. Also kinda weird that Heidegger took the shuriken for him - he seems to be an opportunistic yes-man more than a true believer, and wouldn't Rufus dying basically de-facto put him in charge?

Heidegger strikes me as less of a yes-man and more of a mad dog. He just wants to kill a bunch of people and pat himself on the back for it, and having to do actual administration would take time away from that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

But if Yuffie doesn’t throw her shuriken and they get to shake Rufus’ hand and walk away, those bounties and mugshots disappear. That’s what he was offering.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

But if Yuffie doesn’t throw her shuriken and they get to shake Rufus’ hand and walk away, those bounties and mugshots disappear. That’s what he was offering.

Barret didn't know that.

E: Anyway, I think Barret just didn't want the gang to be potentially implicated in the assassination of the president in the middle of a giant military parade with the entire army in town.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Gold Saucer date night was everything I could have wanted and more

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 8, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I felt like it was missing something. Like it was a bit of a hangout then whisked away to the Dyne situation. I thought we'd go on the Ferris wheel

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't quite understand Cait Sith. When you first get him, what are you supposed to do aside from run around throwing out dice and ranged attacks? Granted, doing that is pretty effective since some dice stuff is quite good.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

So uh does anyone have any tips on the Combat Sim mission on the Mind Flayer? The two little fuckers get nuked if I so much as look at them and then I fail the condition.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Sorry if this has been asked but can you grind enemies in this one? Hated how you really couldn’t in Remake. Didn’t feel like an RPG at all in that respect.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Books On Tape posted:

Sorry if this has been asked but can you grind enemies in this one? Hated how you really couldn’t in Remake. Didn’t feel like an RPG at all in that respect.

You can run around fighting enemies to your heart's content

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

I felt like it was missing something. Like it was a bit of a hangout then whisked away to the Dyne situation. I thought we'd go on the Ferris wheel

There's another one later.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

There's another one later.

Ah I thought so. Very nice. Do I need to control my team happiness levels so that I get the right character, or is it just based on the first one?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

JBP posted:

Ah I thought so. Very nice. Do I need to control my team happiness levels so that I get the right character, or is it just based on the first one?

Based on happiness levels, and the game even warns you, which is cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

It can be with a different person than the first one, so if you want to target a specific person, maybe skip a side quest or two with characters you think might have two high of an affection until afterwards.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah I better start considering this then, I've been doing all the quests. Thanks.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
“One’s not a party, it’s a pity!”

girls I did not purchase this video game to be personally attacked

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
This chocobo in chapter 11 is lucky it's fun to use because the process of getting it made me homicidal

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I really dont get the combat, either I’m crushing it or getting destroyed. like this level 18 lion that just shoots fireballs that murder me. it feels like I lose hp so fast. well its open world maybe thats for later

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finally made it to cosmo canyon and after all that coy buildup they just hit you with red's real voice like a frying pan between the eyes

also the crew either has boundless patience for reeve's roleplaying or none at all. "ohh i'm just a tired li'l kitty, think i'll have a wee snooze over here" YOU ARE MADE OF PLUSH

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Starting the protorelic stiff in Corel, go into this cactuar building - "Kid G"

Feeling confused and disoriented...

Edit: Oh no...I thought I was doing good at this Cactuar Crush thing, but only got Rank 1. And I'm not sure how to significantly improve.

Edit2: oh wait nevermind, owned it on the second try

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 8, 2024

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
One thing that is starting to grind on me is the never ending committment that minigames need to always go up in difficulty. The moogles are starting to get loving awful before the time limit got tossed in.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
gently caress Mosh in particular.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ytlaya posted:

Starting the protorelic stiff in Corel, go into this cactuar building - "Kid G"

Feeling confused and disoriented...

Edit: Oh no...I thought I was doing good at this Cactuar Crush thing, but only got Rank 1. And I'm not sure how to significantly improve.

It threw me off too because I hardly used Yuffie at all. Spamming abilities helped a bunch. The wind one that’s a weapon skill (I think) and her physical ones demolished everybody

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I guess they thought the Angelo Cannon in 8 wasn't enough, I just did Aerith and Red's synergy attack. Her's with Barret is also pretty great. She throws on a pair of shades too.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I just finished chapter 8, and I really don't care for how they did Dyne's scenes/death. Everything around it just felt so busy. It's a plot point that feels like it could have used some time to breathe. Instead Dyne goes down in a hail of bullets, and you don't really get time with that, because you immediately have to fight a robot, then you get a buggy, then do a chase sequence with a terrible shooting game.

I also kinda of wonder why they switched it up to getting shot up by Shinra soldiers rather than his nihilistic ending in the OG.

At least Dio promised to bury him . Guy's a mensch.

I did like Cloud's defense of Barret at Gold Saucer Yeah, nah, if he did it, he wouldn't have destroyed the cameras. He'd have let you know it was him

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LadyPictureShow posted:

I just finished chapter 8, and I really don't care for how they did Dyne's scenes/death.

Honestly the massive tonal whiplash felt very FF7 to me and I also felt like the moment got what it needed before Dio and Rude went all feats of strength lmao

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

I just finished chapter 8, and I really don't care for how they did Dyne's scenes/death. Everything around it just felt so busy. It's a plot point that feels like it could have used some time to breathe. Instead Dyne goes down in a hail of bullets, and you don't really get time with that, because you immediately have to fight a robot, then you get a buggy, then do a chase sequence with a terrible shooting game.

I think it's a fair criticism of a lot of the big moments. They're busy to a sensory overload extent, which often does achieve the desired effect of amazing you with the sheer effort on display but it loses something emotionally when there is just too much going on too fast to take in.

I feel like it might be one of the few things the first remake did, still not great, but a little better

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Has anyone experimented with auto weapon ability and auto unique ability materias?

Is the AI smart enough to use them in the right situation? Like Focus attacks when the enemy is pressured? Does Cloud use punisher mode etc.

I suppose I could test myself in the simulator later

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm actually finding the open world annoying now. Getting to the jungle towers is something I abandoned because the map is too hard to decipher. Now in Cosmo it says go to Chocobo training and I can't work out how to get there. I'm tired after work just let me play the loving game. I'm at the thing you want me to use, just let me use it

E: why the gently caress does gliding control like this? I thought it was broken

I loving hate this

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 8, 2024

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I don't quite understand Cait Sith. When you first get him, what are you supposed to do aside from run around throwing out dice and ranged attacks? Granted, doing that is pretty effective since some dice stuff is quite good.

Holding down square while riding the moogle is a pretty rad constant stream of AE damage that seems to have solid ATB gain too, it's particularly useful for just moshing in there and wrecking things, or when there's some evasive mobs that pop out occasionally it puts out hits so regularly that it's nice at smacking them while they're vulnerable (holding down square while unmounted also pulses out some pretty constant damage but not very high from what I can tell)

I have to play with it more to see if it's actually useful but I get a kick out of using the synergy skill "all out assault", you're kinda just administering a three person beatdown to whatever you're targeting

I've heard some of his abilities scale with luck which would make sense but I can't say I've tested it personally and I've been a bit wary at looking up stuff on the internet

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm in Junon and suddenly the game looks great in performance mode. Was there a patch or have my eyes just adjusted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

guts and bolts posted:

Rude killed Jessie's mom, in addition to everyone else he killed.

holy poo poo this didn't even occur to me either originally or in remake. I think it's more excusable (for me to not really think about the people on the plate) originally BC we never really get any characters of any depth to empathize with from above the plate in ff7og but yeah that whole scene with Jessie's mum absolutely drives home how abhorrent it was