Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
As long as everyone agrees to treat space as a simple 2d plane and use extremely extremely slow weapons and short distances (when considered at a void scale) then yeah I'm sure existing navy tactics will work great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
My post was revealed as a replicator when i tried to edit

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

As long as everyone agrees to treat space as a simple 2d plane and use extremely extremely slow weapons and short distances (when considered at a void scale) then yeah I'm sure existing navy tactics will work great

I mean sure attack planes are 360 and distance has different factors, but how is the carrier strategy still not effective?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

And speaking of ships, there's nothing in the Air Force skill tree that qualifies you to command a ship with hundreds of people.

That's a Navy gig, and they should have been in charge of the ship program. With SG1 of course getting to do whatever they want regardless.

continuum jack is in the navy :taps head:

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

redshirt posted:

I mean sure attack planes are 360 and distance has different factors, but how is the carrier strategy still not effective?

Because fighters are worthless anywhere but in atmospheric conditions?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Curtana posted:

Because fighters are worthless anywhere but in atmospheric conditions?

Jack does serious damage to Anubis's super weapon in a fighter.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Actual space combat would require including relativity into the calculations due to the relative speeds you'd be moving at in orbit, but lack of imagination means that just like most space combat in television and movies the big ships mostly face off facing eachother in close visual distance and occasionally do slow evasive maneuvers since the weapons involved have low enough velocity that they can be seen and sometimes avoided.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

Actual space combat would require including relativity into the calculations due to the relative speeds you'd be moving at in orbit, but lack of imagination means that just like most space combat in television and movies the big ships mostly face off facing eachother in close visual distance and occasionally do slow evasive maneuvers.

More like The Expanse fights I assume.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

redshirt posted:

More like The Expanse fights I assume.
I haven't watched much of The Expanse but that's why I couched it with "most" since as I recall they did it right.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

I haven't watched much of The Expanse but that's why I couched it with "most" since as I recall they did it right.

Yeah in The Expanse almost every space battle is done at distance, such that you never see the enemy except on sensors.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

FFT posted:

Actual space combat would require including relativity into the calculations due to the relative speeds you'd be moving at in orbit, but lack of imagination means that just like most space combat in television and movies the big ships mostly face off facing eachother in close visual distance and occasionally do slow evasive maneuvers since the weapons involved have low enough velocity that they can be seen and sometimes avoided.

one of those ori plasma beam weapons could zoop down a school zone and not get a ticket

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

redshirt posted:

Yeah in The Expanse almost every space battle is done at distance, such that you never see the enemy except on sensors.

This was a thing is mass effect too until they decided gently caress it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd love to see the Tau'ri navy some 20-30 years after the show. I'm sure being a multi-galactic dominant power has not done anything to upset a fair objectivity.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

the guy who plays Rodney isnt just a decent guy but offscreen hes a complete nerd and runs a group teaching kids to code

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

TK-42-1 posted:

This was a thing is mass effect too until they decided gently caress it
I also vaguely recall that the stealth mode heat sinks for the ship were at least explained in detail in the first or second game and then completely ignored thereafter.

Probably the first game since the guns operated on basically the same principle until the sequel where they switched to traditional ammo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

redshirt posted:

Exactly. Space battles are like carrier battles not because of airplanes (which lack any sort of space analog) but because if your sensors don't detect the enemy, but they see you, you're going to lose.

Funnily enough this applies whether or not you include engines fueled by magic or are bound by the tyranny of the ticket equation; your ship is always going to be extremely vulnerable to a projectile weapon that employs the same engine technology but can accelerate much faster than you.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Airplanes (which lack any sort of space analog)

???

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

We have carriers in real life because planes do things ships can't do, so having a ship built to bring planes around to do things ships can't do is great. However, that 'planes do things ships can't do' relies entirely on the difference between being in/on the water and being in the atmosphere on the same planet. In space, there's nothing like sitting just over the horizon and sending planes/helicopters/drones out to scout or sending out fighters or missiles or drones to strike things. The distances involved in interaction between two space ships just makes that impossible without wizards did it levels of ignoring the physics involved. Without space wizards you just can't have a reasonable analogue to planes in space. Nothing that is meant to be in space will do the same things as planes meant to be in atmosphere.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Exactly. Space battles are like carrier battles not because of airplanes (which lack any sort of space analog) but because if your sensors don't detect the enemy, but they see you, you're going to lose.

Funnily enough this applies whether or not you include engines fueled by magic or are bound by the tyranny of the ticket equation; your ship is always going to be extremely vulnerable to a projectile weapon that employs the same engine technology but can accelerate much faster than you.

Agreed. But in the case of Stargate ships, then can go faster than any weapon, since they can jump to hyperspace.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
y'all are dumb.
Space Battles are like Naval battles... because it looks wicked fuckin cool.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

y'all are dumb.
Space Battles are like Naval battles... because it looks wicked fuckin cool.

Hell yeah brother.

And don't get me started on sounds in space.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Hell yeah brother.

And don't get me started on sounds in space.

sounds travel through a medium, and the medium in space battles is gently caress YEAAAAAA *guitar solo*

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

You're not wrong but in terms of likely futuretech it gets just a liiiiittle more complex than that

https://youtu.be/xvs_f5MwT04 (issac arthur is a physicist afaik)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Amazon currently owns the Stargate rights. With all the risks that entails.

But I want to see a new show set in today's time, except as part of a galactic alliance. With Tau'ri ships throughout multiple galaxies....

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If you are detectable in space you done hosed up and will get destroyed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_forest_hypothesis

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

See I'd sculpt a hyperspace attack response.

Like the Odyssey shows up right in your grill and simultaneously two Prometheus class ships arrive just above and below from the sides.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Anything set after the Asgard gave all their knowledge to SGC would be bonkers

although now that I've typed that it feels like they must have immediately lost it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So the next show is set now, in current time. The Tau'ri are one of the dominant powers in multiple galaxies, along with the Jaffa. But there is tension within this alliance.

The System Lords have been defeated, but there are still many Goa'uld, and they have turned to ever more elusive forms of subterfuge. A Goa'uld influence on Earth is persistent and powerful. While the Stargate has been revealed and Earth's fleet as well, the true nature of the Goa'uld and other threats have not. Earth is a highly unstable place with factions vying for power and influence.

The show can have humor, but not primarily. With 15-18 44 minute episodes per season, plenty of time for "Alien/Monster/Weird planet of the week" episodes. And character development, and long term plots.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A through line from SG1 could be a focus on Ascension and the Ancients. Maybe now Ascension has become a real possibility for millions of people.

But given the Tau'ri influence in several galaxies, with fleets of ships and bases all over, there are powerful factions among the Tau'ri and adversaries working against this.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

redshirt posted:

A through line from SG1 could be a focus on Ascension and the Ancients. Maybe now Ascension has become a real possibility for millions of people.
Some scientologist-coded rando pulls it off first, causing other problems

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

If you are detectable in space you done hosed up and will get destroyed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_forest_hypothesis

The dark forest hypothesis can suck my balls

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SGA is humming along. I like most of the cast fine, but it’s a step down. Teyla is useless.

The episode where Weir goes back in time to hang out with the ancients and freezes herself for 10k years is a science-fiction-as-gently caress story.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

FFT posted:

Some scientologist-coded rando pulls it off first, causing other problems

Jonas Quinn?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Who?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

The archaeologist who had a gou'ald girlfriend
wait that doesn't help

the one who Jack didn't like at first? the one that Teal'C raised eyebrows at? the one that had no sex appeal to Sam or any other women, unless they were hosed up aliens? actually emphatic to people's feelings? had a couple of different haircuts through the series?

man gently caress this is hard

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it is so funny to be a sciti and on sg1 playing a space mormon

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Parker Lewis

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

edgeman83 posted:

Parker Lewis

I hear he can't lose.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jonas Quinn tapped that Goa'uld rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Oh Doctor Jackson's understudy never change.