Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Time_pants posted:

Jesus fuckin Christ do Microsoft products ever suck now ("lololol they always did" okay I made the joke). Outlook and Word will just suddenly make an entire line of text invisible until the next key-press, the entire Power Platform suite is barely holding itself together and has a ton of visual glitches and positions objects in Studio view one way and another way when you actually use the app or page, tons of poo poo that is supposed to auto-populate gets stuck loading infinitely, requiring a page refresh, everything God drat application, including the operating system itself is poisoned with AI bullshit, functionality is being stripped out and sold at a premium, and (as has already been mentioned) the greatest transgression of them all: Notepad crashes now.

Like a lot. As much or more than any other Microsoft application. Was it adding tabs? gently caress 'em. They suck. Get rid of them.

It's so tiring. Everything is so God drat tiring.

I've been lucky that Notepad hasn't crashed for me, although I don't really like the way the tabs operate. I do everything in life in Notepad, and I want it to be as bare bones and utilitarian as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DemihumanResources posted:

A few months back OpenAI inexplicably "broke" the "do not save my chats" feature for many people. Between that and this I'm convinced they are doing anything they can to get training data they arguably can use and they, in fact, can go gently caress themselves. I hope they end up sued to oblivion and Sam Altman in jail

I say that we do a trading places of Sam Altman and Sam Bankman‐Fried.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Sentient Data posted:

Wait, did people not think that every single keystroke of input and bit of output wasn't being meticulously recorded and mined forever?

Yeah, this.

Although I do also hope those people end up on prison forever.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

A few months back OpenAI inexplicably "broke" the "do not save my chats" feature for many people. Between that and this I'm convinced they are doing anything they can to get training data they arguably can use and they, in fact, can go gently caress themselves. I hope they end up sued to oblivion and Sam Altman in jail

Excel keeps asking me to approve integrating chatgpt, and I will click the ask away every day before I ever say yes

They underestimate how stubborn I can be. Each request further drives my pathological demand avoidance even further. At this point I will be going out of my way to never use chatgpt ever in my life, for anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s awful and spiritually obscene (chat ai). It really is the worst of scams and evil

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Sentient Data posted:

Wait, did people not think that every single keystroke of input and bit of output wasn't being meticulously recorded and mined forever?

They explicitly said they didn't (until they broke it and you really couldn't) and they also say explicitly they do not use this for the API.

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7730893-data-controls-faq

quote:

We don’t use content from our business offerings such as ChatGPT Team, ChatGPT Enterprise, and our API Platform to train our models.

I imagine doing this on the business-type end would be truly a legal nightmare for them.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
in practice these companies dont seriously need permission to train ai on your data because it would be almost impossible to prove and even if it weren't courts would routinely gently caress up cases about it because its too technical for anyone involved in the legal process to understand currently

any opt in you actually get presented with is just covering their rear end for a future where that might not be as true (but probably won't come, because everything must continue to get worse all the time)

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

They explicitly said they didn't (until they broke it and you really couldn't) and they also say explicitly they do not use this for the API.

I imagine doing this on the business-type end would be truly a legal nightmare for them.

lol at trusting anything a techbro says

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm saving myself for Windows 12

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Zamujasa posted:

i'm particularly fond of cardboard packaging with "press here to open", and doing so just causes the package to crumple in a way that does not help open it at all.

oh god yes, it's like the package is playing a trick on you.
You could just pull open the flap or whatever to get it open but now there's a cool "press here to open" that destroys the box if you attempt to use it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
They're almost certainly not using the outputs to train their models, because training AI models on AI texts just gives them dementia, but I'm sure they're analyzing how a given input produces a given output and things like that. All the data is definitely being retained.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ai doesn’t get dementia and it’s kind of horrific to use that as a (false) analogy

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

euphronius posted:

Ai doesn’t get dementia and it’s kind of horrific to use that as a (false) analogy

the horror

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Literally any web page that exists as a public service (think all those sites for converting URL encoding to human readable, regex parsers, etc) can and will do this with the schlock companies throw their way without thinking. It's a huge market and it's not like anyone can say you're doing it once you've sold it down the line to like three or four advertising agencies or all the emails to your marketing department or anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if loving SA is doing it to some extent with our posts. Don't believe techbros when they say they aren't recording you. They are. It's profitable for us and it gives us stuff we can sell. You are our product.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
wow i'd hate for my posts to be recorded and displayed on the internet where others can view them

edit: yes i know everyone else agrees

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Mozi posted:

wow i'd hate for my posts to be recorded and displayed on the internet where others can view them

the great thing about something awful dot cum is that no one will ever read these posts and we're damned to perish in obscurity and that's alright honestly :unsmith:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mudlark posted:

the great thing about something awful dot cum is that no one will ever read these posts and we're damned to perish in obscurity and that's alright honestly :unsmith:

Dust in the wind, dude

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I have a right to poo poo post and the AI has to listen

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mudlark posted:

I got some bad news for you

https://www.loc.gov/item/lcwaN0009701/

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Oh wow. Oh dear.

Oh no.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

Woe to the AI that has to learn something from my shitposts

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Time_pants posted:

Oh wow. Oh dear.

Oh no.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I've always appreciated SA for being the internets #1 site for Folklore & Mythology.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Speaking of things getting shittier, we've really been neglecting our folklore and mythology duties lately.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ok we're gonna need three new types of dragons and at least a couple variants on the elf/gnome archetype

e: I guess to stay on topic they should all be slightly shittier than existing varieties

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

An enshittifaction dragon that breathes planed obsolescence instead of fire.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Time_pants posted:

In a good way or a bad way?

good

like, Ive jumped through all the hoops to try and squeeze out better performance on Windows a few times, and it was always kinda catchy and bad, but on Steam Deck, I just installed it and ran it and.. I didnt even think it was possible for FNV to work correctly?

my main complain about the Steam Deck is that Valve does not presently have a prebuilt Steam Desktop for sale that I can purchase

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They should get in touch with that dental xray company and buy some atari jaguar shells to house the steam desktop

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

MrTargetPractice posted:

"The shabby-looking dragon breathes a viscous smoky cloud that washes over you!"

*rolls* "Oh no! I failed my save..."

"From now on Blackleaf The Elf must enter into binding arbitration in order to complain about the quality of her Spined Bandyclef of Striking."

"Nooooooo!"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sentient Data posted:

They should get in touch with that dental xray company and buy some atari jaguar shells to house the steam desktop

Lol what a great mold repurpose, bet it was bottom dollar too

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Woolie Wool posted:

You mean Obsidian's masterpiece. :colbert:

I remember when that game came out it had a record number of bugs for a Fallout game.

Game-breaking and ending bugs before you ever left the doctor's office. If it did work, at minimum something like, doc's head would start spinning

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrTargetPractice posted:

Aura of Enshittification: Enchanted weapons within 30 feet of the dragon get -1 to their enchantment. Standard weapons must make a save with DC 15 or disintegrate.

wizard2 posted:

good

like, Ive jumped through all the hoops to try and squeeze out better performance on Windows a few times, and it was always kinda catchy and bad, but on Steam Deck, I just installed it and ran it and.. I didnt even think it was possible for FNV to work correctly?

my main complain about the Steam Deck is that Valve does not presently have a prebuilt Steam Desktop for sale that I can purchase

FNV has worked fine for years, it was only just after release when it had problems, or if you load 200 mods and they start loving with each other.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 8, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1766101118105338271

Duck Game is really fun with friends.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Woolie Wool posted:

FNV has worked fine for years, it was only just after release when it had problems, or if you load 200 mods and they start loving with each other.

uh, sure

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Woolie Wool posted:

Weird how almost every time I install the base game without all the bug fixes that prevent crashes, it crashes every 10 minutes.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Not in my experience. The base game is actually developing new bugs as time goes on. Though that's not a problem unique to Fallout New Vegas. Most of the Xbox 360 era PC ports are getting shakey.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Most of the Xbox 360 era PC ports are getting shakey.

Yeah, it was an... Interesting... time to be a game dev.

Even putting aside the alinenness of the PS3, getting the most of the console still often required a mountain of crafty tricks and very careful resource management. But, at the same time, the available resources were on the teetering edge of being too much for that type of development to stay stable.

E.g. The PS2 had 32mb of ram. That's pretty straightforward to manually account for. The Xbox360 has 512mb, and multiple cpu cores. You still wanted to use every last drop of it, but it was getting really tough to keep everything nicely accounted for, especially with games getting more complex on top of it all.

I feel bad for modernization and port teams having that code thrown at them without context.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 8, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Idiots they should add loot boxes and battlepasses instead.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I randomly generate gibberish every x posts (x being a random number to obscure this sick tricks true intent) to ensure that any data they scrape from me is polluted with ai nonsense…. The great thing is… I still don’t think anyone’s been able to tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Warner Bros has become a real media charnel house huh