Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I'm trying to think of a musical instrument that didn't get invented outside of western europe and I'm struggling. I think it would have to be some sort of modern electronic thing because I feel like the rest of the world already invented all the ways to get noise out of bits of tree and animals and rocks.

I guess you could go with independent invention but I can't think of anything unique.

Drums feels like an obvious one

Edit: oh outside of the west right ignore me I'm an idiot who can't read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The whitest instrument is that weird drum Irish people play... until you run up against historical British prejudices about the racial grouping of the Irish that is.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
piano was invented in italy

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yet again we run up against the issue of England not really having a culture, merely reactions to or theft of other cultures.

Yep theres no english bands or anything

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I'm trying to think of a musical instrument that didn't get invented outside of western europe and I'm struggling. I think it would have to be some sort of modern electronic thing because I feel like the rest of the world already invented all the ways to get noise out of bits of tree and animals and rocks.

I guess you could go with independent invention but I can't think of anything unique.

Glockenspiel

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Bless you

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rappaport posted:

The theremin, maybe?

The only time i've seen a theremin in a modern song, 2:36 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDT1tniPD2Q :D

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

The whitest instrument is that weird drum Irish people play... until you run up against historical British prejudices about the racial grouping of the Irish that is.

BIG DRUM :mcrappe:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is clearly the winner

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

The English had quite a little pogrom against Irish harpers back in the day, killing them on sight.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LMAO, Fox is scraping the bottom of the barrel to salvage his 'career'...
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1766098305463841090

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"talking" :cocaine:

You have to bang the big drum loud to keep the pope away or else he'll put a bishop hat on your dog and change your VCR language.

Also you need to make sure you or your drum wears the :lol: badge.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
The whitest instrument is the laser harp

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JamalRhiat2/status/1766119412531105880
I'm normally against the destruction of art, but I'm of the opinion these actions have created a much more powerful piece of art, similar to the Coulson statue that went for a but of a swim in Bristol.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

The English had quite a little pogrom against Irish harpers back in the day, killing them on sight.

Well that's hardly surprising when the tales tell of one bard who called his harp to him in battle and it slew seven men as it flew to his hand.

Also laughing my rear end off at that photo of Laurence Fox and Yaxley-Lennon. Fox is a tall man, but even so - it's a tossup as to whether Y-L hates Rishi Sunak more for not being white or for being taller than him. What a little manlet.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Afternoon everyone.

Last call reminder, for all London / near London people who want to join myself and thousands of others tomorrow the march begins at noon in Hyde Park.

More info here: https://palestinecampaign.org/events/national-demonstration-ceasefire-now-stop-the-genocide-in-gaza/

Hope you can make it or go to your nearest alternative protest, wherever you are.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yaxley has the same mass-amount of racism as an average British man, but it's just condensed in a much smaller body so that it reaches criticality

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yaxley has the same mass-amount of racism as an average British man, but it's just condensed in a much smaller body so that it reaches criticality

Racism singularity

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

is that wes streeting on the front?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The death of the Master has alerted me to the origins of Sickos.jpg

https://twitter.com/Bran_the_Onion/status/1766028236650103205?t=lt8Z-FN8nDJHHAs1U2mOtQ&s=19

Replace "Dirty Magazine" with "Humiliation for Loser *insert thread villain*" and you've got a meme that will give you at least half a page of empty quotes every time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

is that wes streeting on the front?

Either that or Nick Griffin

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Either that or Nick Griffin

What's the difference these days? Pretty sure even ol' Wes hates gay people not in his personal circle, and Griffin is the same.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Saviour posted:

The confusion about the Oct 7 attacks is interesting, the amount of misinformation, deliberate propaganda, and bias from both sides is unlike anything I've read about.

There is so much documentation from the day, but from what i can tell, without being an invesigative journalist. That hard evidence is not readily available. Isreal claim that Hamas deliberately used sexual violence. That's the part of the actions that i can't sympathise with.

Will be interesting over the next few years to see the real story behind this

There is literally no obviously misleading propaganda from the Palestinian side though. Oct 7th happened, and Hamas + its allies are very open about claiming responsibility. Obviously we can argue back and forth about the long term context it happened within and the various rights and wrongs of that kind of anti-colonial resistance, but it's pretty straightforward and makes sense if terrorism, in the very strict sense of the word, is part of your overall strategy (and really, given Israeli policy, what other options do Palestinians have?)

That was bad, insofar as civilians were killed, injured, and abducted, but nobody is denying that. Every single thing Israel has claimed on top of that, that people were raped and tortured and babies were beheaded and all the rest of it, has had zero evidence to back it up. Israel does however have a long history of using disinformation strategies, claiming whatever the hell atrocity it wants has happened, and then weaponising the outrage before shrugging when it's later proven they were full of poo poo. Maybe it did happen this time - it's a bit of a boy who cried wolf scenario - and I'm sure the Hamas forces did do some shady poo poo beyond the fact of the attack itself because that happens in war, but it's pretty suspect how Israel has immediately jumped to the most heinous and unbelievable accusations in their PR.

Then you get to the attack on Gaza, and we see those same, still unsubstantiated accusations being used to deflect any criticism. But we have daily evidence of the atrocities being conducted by the IDF. If anything, what we see in the west is probably relatively sanitised. We're seeing mass starvation and murder and we're seeing Israel's forces act with more brutality than even they accuse Hamas of - literally leaving newborn babies to decompose in incubators, for example. In any just world, Israel's actions would have prompted international military intervention in defence of Gaza months ago, but with the USA swinging its dick over the whole thing as an Israeli ally, that can't happen, and given that even our nominally left wing politicians can't even bring themselves to call for a ceasefire I doubt it would have happened anyway.

I'm not meaning to be aggressive here, but I'm thinking of the international brigades in Spain and the broader fight against European fascism in the twentieth century, and then I'm looking at our clown world with utter despair, and I feel like any effort to 'both sides' this particular conflict, when it's so obviously about as morally complex as the most simplistic and banal fantasy story, is just massively part of the problem. Sometimes there's room for nuance, but, and I say this as an actual, apparently qualified, historian, sometimes endlessly invoking the need for it when dealing with current events serves to obfuscate the reality that sometimes, things really are just as simple as they look, and embracing that broad simplicity is important. There'll be room to examine and unpack the fine details down the line, but now isn't the time for it at the political level.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 8, 2024

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier posted:

Pipe organ.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Concertina.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yet again we run up against the issue of England not really having a culture, merely reactions to or theft of other cultures.

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, "come again?"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Pipe organ.

I guess between that, the piano, and the hurdy gurdy the theme is "find an existing noise maker, put it in a box, and put keys on it"

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Yes, thinking you don't have a culture just seems like thinking you don't have an accent, or an ideology, etc.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Imperialism is a culture

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

old goons: what was working in an office like before the internet/computers? Was it just rooms of people typing and smoking cigarettes? I imagine it would be such a clatter that it'd make me spring from my desk to see what was the matter.

Also; did meetings happen with less regularity as it was more of a pain to organise, or did a telephone and a switchboard do all that work?

I have worked with some older people who used to work for councils etc. who have hinted at such things, like filing cabinets, and similar skeuomorphs, but I want the real deal. I was thinking of these boxes earlier and made me wonder what the differences would have been having to do everything analogue style.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

justcola posted:

old goons: what was working in an office like before the internet/computers? Was it just rooms of people typing and smoking cigarettes? I imagine it would be such a clatter that it'd make me spring from my desk to see what was the matter.

Also; did meetings happen with less regularity as it was more of a pain to organise, or did a telephone and a switchboard do all that work?

I have worked with some older people who used to work for councils etc. who have hinted at such things, like filing cabinets, and similar skeuomorphs, but I want the real deal. I was thinking of these boxes earlier and made me wonder what the differences would have been having to do everything analogue style.

Oh man, my dad used to have a few of those in the computer room upstairs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even before the existence of "the internet" there was still specialized telecommunications between businesses, that's what you had telex machines for and of course fax working over the phone system. You have to go back further back than anyone's likely to remember to get before that cos that sort of thing was available in the sixties.

I think a big part of the difference between earlier telecomms and modern ones is that now everything does just run off "the internet" and uses apps for specific functionality. Historically you would have needed dedicated lines for anything faster than the phone and you also need a specialized machine to do each task, and this both limited the kinds of things you would use telecomms for (leading to the saying about the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes going down the highway) and also influenced the design of purpose build offices and the infrastructure to support them. It necessitates greater centralization because if you want to communicate between offices then it's easier to do that if they're physically next to each other and you can just have a teletype line run between them or you just physically go and talk to them.

Also leads to the existence of particular jobs and weird equipment to support them, like sending a guy thousands of miles with a luggable to give a presentation or something.

Part of what you're seeing with the collapse of the office sector is hyper-avilable telecomms causing problems for that rather legacy structure of office centralization and the costs associated with it. If you can offload the costs onto the workers while retaining all the functionality it becomes harder to justify paying rent on a big office block just for the thrill of being able to be a dick to your employees in person.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 8, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1766101748219867553

:allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

justcola posted:

LOL - that box of 1.44MB floppy disks was super modern compared to when I started. The first office job I had back in about 1982 - there was no computing facility at all except for one word processor that one person knew how to work.
There was a big office called "the typing pool" full of typists typing out invoices & credit notes etc on electric typewriters using carbons, and big desks piled with "CDNs" in our office (that is Customer Dispute Notices) that would be in quintuplet on different coloured paper - one copy for this dept, another copy for that dept, a copy for the file, a copy to go back to Accounts Receivables or Credit Control in big brown memo envelopes with the dispute resolution etc on it. With great excitement one day we got a computer in our offices (probably about 60-80 employees worked there). Each department was allowed 1 hour a week on it.
It needed one 5.25" floppy to run the operating system (hard disk? Who he?) and another to run programmes - it was either Symphony or Lotus.
When I changed jobs in 1986, we had VDUs and you could look up orders on it and how many parts were in stock! And the secretary had a word processor.
Late 80s I changed jobs again and we had Wordstar wordprocessor connected up to daisy wheel printer.
When I was then promoted to doing the asset register I insisted on a new computer and - wow! - they got me an IBM 386 with a 40MB hard drive!! No GUI, all command line driven. Again, wordprocessing was done on Wordstar and spreadsheets done on Symphony. AND this was when I got 1.44MB floppies! Wow - so much data storage! Then those went up to 2.88MB and by the late 90s zip drives with zip disks with 100MB and then 250MB on them! About then CDs you could burn data on became available if you had a computer capable of burning CDs.
After about 3 years they got me a computer with Windows 3.1 on - all pretty pictures to click - except, I wasn't allowed a mouse because 'only people who play games use a mouse' so I wasn't able to see the point of a GUI when I still had to do everything with command prompts!

Meetings - still as many and still as pointless.

Fax machine anecdote - when I first worked in NHS (as a temp 1987 ish) our department got a fax machine. I remember the not-far-off-retirement secretary to the Works Director faxing a cheque through to a company and wondering why they wouldn't send her the goods. She honestly thought the cheque would go down the wires to them - despite the fact it was still there in the office after she faxed it.

Other stuff: Alarms company: Contacts were in a rolodex, service maintenance records were on large index cards in drawers.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 8, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, thinking you don't have a culture just seems like thinking you don't have an accent, or an ideology, etc.
I was just making a generalised joke about how England doesn't really have much culture that hasn't either been appropriated from another country or as a reaction to the culture of another country. Sorry if that's something that requires specific evidenced examples.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
That describes most countries, dude.
Most 'culture' is an amalgamation of ideas brought by people from different regions. The main difference is that Britain is a country that's either invaded, or had immigration from, most parts of the world. So there's a broader range of ideas to be smooshed together into something hideous.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Dad had a work wyse terminal at home that had a legit hold your phone up to the 1.2kb modem, you could dial in to play collosal cave. 15isj years later I started my first govt job and they were just phasing them out

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

justcola posted:

You should watch Mad Men. It captures the complete revolution in office culture between 1960 and 1970, and a big thing in the last season is the introduction of The Computer.

Might be the best show I've ever watched too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Dad had a work wyse terminal at home that had a legit hold your phone up to the 1.2kb modem, you could dial in to play collosal cave. 15isj years later I started my first govt job and they were just phasing them out

Acoustic modems are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmBLsKV7Sx0

If you like old tech stuff that's a cool channel btw.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I convinced my dad to buy an Amiga because he could use it for work and do invoices and things. The joke was on him, he couldn't, none of the business software was compatible and we never got the printer to work. I did get to play a lot of Lemmings though.