Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The players should get good and stop whining though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BadLlama posted:

Wish there was a rejoin game button. I've seen others disconnect and rejoin shortly after, I assume that someone else in the game is their friend though and you can just join friends games.

There's a Recents tab under Social, but it doesn't work properly I think.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

henkman posted:

On the other hand, demanding people be fired because the shotgun got more recoil is an incredibly normal thing to do

the devs who got stalked and harassed over the breaker nerfs 100% deserve to be able to tell capital G hard R gamers to go gently caress themselves with rusty rebar

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, I would like the CEO's statement more if the other half of it was "But also the harassment our devs have endured over the past few days is also unacceptable."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kazinsal posted:

the devs who got stalked and harassed over the breaker nerfs 100% deserve to be able to tell capital G hard R gamers to go gently caress themselves with rusty rebar

100%, the problem was that was not the only thing and you also had the one discord mod making GBS threads everything up so now its all one clusterfuck.

i highly doubt any of the devs got anything more than a "just be careful how you phrase things" talking to but that one mod is a dumbass.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Mordja posted:

Anyone who self-identifies as a gamer should be killed.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kazinsal posted:

The Breaker nerfs were so minor that I forget it was nerfed sometimes lmao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ringo Star Get posted:

As someone who did PR for game companies including community management - yes, squeaky wheel gets the grease, but you typically want a qualified person to do it while also explaining it in a sane manner. There are devs that should just focus on their jobs and have an intermediary explain things between them and the community, and on the same token, the ‘mods’ should also not be far up their own rear end to antagonize the people they moderate.

If I was on their team, I’d go to the devs and say “hey, this new update futzed with a lot of player’s expectations and they’re expressing difficulty with it. What can be done?” If the devs are going to fix it, address it, or bring updates, you can definitely twist it in the Helldiver’s universe as “our factories have been sabotaged making our weapons ineffective! Upgraded weaponry coming - here’s a challenge to fight and hold the line as we bring up the firepower”

Telling your player base to “git good” and “stop whining” you’re going to piss off more players and so yes, your damage control is going to have to step in because now it’s more public about your guys being asses.

Imo it's normal for a PR department to do that, but this wasn't a PR department, it was Dave the social media guy. This is a game made by a smaller studio and their primary mistake was trying to interact with their audience as a person first and a corporation second, which led them to doing to light ribbing on players who then lost their God damned minds. Helldivers 2 just got too popular and it spiraled from "indie game that was unusually successful" to needing to treat it like a truly... formal? corporate game.

It's been interesting to see the split on this between aggrieved players and game devs unrelated to HD who are going "man it's nice to hear someone talking like a person for once and not a boardroom focus grouping every post".

Honestly I started worrying about this kind of stuff when they announced that that there was a single person who was the game master for a breakout hit like this. Man I hope that guy has all his networking unlisted now.

VVV Less "it's good to antagonize angry people" and more "I didn't realize that you guys were Gamer Angry about this minor thing and now I'm reading about it in the news".

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 8, 2024

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Arrowhead staff being abused was inexcusable. That said, it's some cringy edgelord poo poo for people to jump up and say "actually, antagonizing angry people was good" and act surprised that it exacerbated the situation.

Edit: editing this to be clearer when I'm referring to the discourse and not Arrowhead staff themselves

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 8, 2024

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

There's a Recents tab under Social, but it doesn't work properly I think.

I tried using that but didn't see anyway to join the game, only add them as friends.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The game is all sorts of hosed up at the moment

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Dinosaurs! posted:

Arrowhead staff being abused was inexcusable. That said, it's some cringy edgelord poo poo to be like "antagonizing angry people was good" and act surprised that it exacerbated the situation.

People tend to get kind of a justice boner on when they think about some annoying rear end in a top hat getting what they deserve but it's very easy for them to say that when they're not the ones who have to live with whatever consequences that brings.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Arrowhead staff being abused was inexcusable. That said, it's some cringy edgelord poo poo to be like "antagonizing angry people was good" and act surprised that it exacerbated the situation.

I mean they seem to excel at game design but it's been very obvious for a while now that both coding and PR aren't exactly their forte.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Yeah, I first got a servers are down message, then I got in but I can't buy anything. Bar goes up then just nothing.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

flashman posted:

The players should get good and stop whining though

there's a few different ways to navigate these issues and all of them lead to schizophrenia.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dinosaurs! posted:

From a little back, about the game placing a grenade in your hand after throwing a stratagem. Thanks for this. It’d been driving me nuts the past two nights. I’ve had quick grenade bound to L1 since the game’s first week so this is definitely a bug related to Wednesday’s patch.

i'm on PC using KB and it does this and my grenade and stratagem key arent at all the same

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fabricated posted:

Man, it's actually kind of annoying how just screeching for the manager seems to work for nothing that matters

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1765827428646031391

I really hope it's just HR/Marketing going "Hey guys, don't get salty on the Discord. If you're feeling spicy, shut off Discord, have a coffee break, and when you come back to your desk just open up something else entirely that is not Discord/Reddit. We're going to frame this as 'internal education' to placate the shitlords when really we all feel like this about it :jerkbag:"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My dumb accidental throws on default settings are strats already in my hand, then popping open the map to quickly add/remove a pin "whoops oh gently caress". Which... is probably intentional. but yeah :eng99:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol you can stand on top of a mech and it lets you stay there while it moves around.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

oh my god I hate gaming journalists and reddit. wow, dev got angry after taking a huge amount of abuse from idiots online. seems like a non-issue to me, but I guess it's gonna be on CNN tomorrow

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

explosivo posted:

Lol you can stand on top of a mech and it lets you stay there while it moves around.

Gonna voltron all over this stupid planet

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I played some cool sessions for an hour with a very experienced pub who seemed to be letting me do all the objectives… then I realized I received no rewards whatsoever for that play. Looks it was setting my level to 0 during the end session screen. Love it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

explosivo posted:

Can you prone on it?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Basic Chunnel posted:

I played some cool sessions for an hour with a very experienced pub who seemed to be letting me do all the objectives… then I realized I received no rewards whatsoever for that play. Looks it was setting my level to 0 during the end session screen. Love it.

Years ago my favourite strat in Day of Defeat was to prone on top of the shower that stuck up from a bath in the middle of a street while a friend crouched in the bathtub below. The world's shittest bunker. Time to do that again, but taller and with more mobility.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can the mechs hug/high-five/etc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BadLlama posted:

Can you prone on it?

Not sure but crouching seems to work. It's a bit janky and your guy might look like he's floating behind it while walking but it is possible.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

If the servers are overloaded it will do things like those or not show your stats on the end screen. However your rewards are still queued up and will show up eventually.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

I really hope it's just HR/Marketing going "Hey guys, don't get salty on the Discord. If you're feeling spicy, shut off Discord, have a coffee break, and when you come back to your desk just open up something else entirely that is not Discord/Reddit. We're going to frame this as 'internal education' to placate the shitlords when really we all feel like this about it :jerkbag:"

I have no doubt this was it. Their CEO seems to "get it."

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

If the servers are overloaded it will do things like those or not show your stats on the end screen. However your rewards are still queued up and will show up eventually.

The screen turned shaded/dark while waiting for the post game stats to show then just... never changed. I quit after 5 or 6 minutes. I'm going to go play Minecraft someone yell when it's working

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Oh good! With that and being the only game that makes my PS5 hardware scream I was thinking maybe it was a good time to take a break

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Fabricated posted:

Man, it's actually kind of annoying how just screeching for the manager seems to work for nothing that matters

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1765827428646031391

this was in response to a dev saying he was intentionally making customers angrier though

customer behavior aside, thats a poor thing to say publicly to people when you represent a company, specifically about their customers

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

explosivo posted:

No way, there's Grand Theft Auto car surfing mechanics? Oh my god yes

explosivo posted:

Not sure but crouching seems to work. It's a bit janky and your guy might look like he's floating behind it while walking but it is possible.

Bwahahahaha

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Worf posted:

this was in response to a dev saying he was intentionally making customers angrier though

customer behavior aside, thats a poor thing to say publicly to people when you represent a company, specifically about their customers

A lot of places would fire you for saying it, even.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Apparently the Exosuits can potentially blow themselves up if you aim too far to the right and fire a rocket because the rocket arm ends up pointed at the main body.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently the Exosuits can potentially blow themselves up if you aim too far to the right and fire a rocket because the rocket arm ends up pointed at the main body.
safety measures are undemocratic

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1766182204541944020?t=ft2txyXLcPB2X5jQ3vv_SA&s=19

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mechs seem real fragile against the bots.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lol my man's still got it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

magiccarpet posted:

The game is all sorts of hosed up at the moment

:emptyquote:

Ok, now less empty:

Even when the game let me join, the game had a series of weird bugs, more than usual, from the game saying we were level 0 on the loading screen to the stats debrief screen not working and even worse... I noticed after three different games that my credits weren't increasing. I was playing to get enough for the 20K and I had gained zero!

That was the moment I decided to quit for today. Maybe tomorrow it will work better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

Mechs seem real fragile against the bots.

Have someone on the team bring the energy shield emplacement.