Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Chapter 9

Barret telling Yuffie to stay behind and keep out of the way when she's MVP and destroys everything is all kinds of stupid. Sit down Barret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It seems like everyone just did everything, but at least Costa Del Sol is setup well for that.

Each set has some completely non-skill based ways to get the tickets you need.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Anyone else notice that the sun sets in the east on this planet, if the scenes at the beach of Costa Del Sol are anything to go by (assuming it isn't a mistake).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really like the minigames, to be honest. Situps not withstanding. The ones the story has you do is just an excuse to spend more time with these characters and I'm fine with that. It's why I don't mind or rationalize, if you want to be harsh, the slower pace. I really don't mind. I'm just happy to be exploring and experiencing this world again.

Anyway, I want to do a little speculation. I'm on chapter 9 so this will contain spoilers for everything from the beginning of chapter 9 and before: So I don't have much of a clear picture of what's going on in the Zack timeline other than things have gone really badly. Seeing Aerith's flower garden all dead really hit me hard because I just came off Rebirth and seeing all that color after all the concrete and steel had a great effect. I'm not quite sure what's going on in the sky above Midgar there. Maybe this new timeline is being rejected or maybe this event is exclusive to above Midgar because we haven't seen if this is happening to the rest of the world yet. I was talking with a friend and I'm kinda inclined to agree with all the info we have right now is that I think Jesse and Wedge are both gone. I don't think she survived in either timeline and I think he was killed at the end of Remake in the Cloud timeline.

For second Sephiroth, I wasn't sure what to make of him. He did come off as kind of earnest in the last confrontation with Cloud and seemed genuinely disappointed Cloud turned him down. For what reason? It's hard to say. He did show up to help Cloud when the zolom got him good. Things are further muddied with this Glen character. I know basically nothing from all the prequel stuff so I looked into it a bit and it seems like Square spent a lot of time giving more characterization to Sephiroth, making him more of a tragic, fallen hero than an outright monster and this Glenn guy seemed to be a pretty stand-up fellow. So him showing up and being all insidious seems really out of character, so maybe him and Sephiroth are playing up being the villain to mask their true intentions? Square may be banking on Sephiroth's reputation and people's prior knowledge of him being a really villainous character and are setting him up to subvert expectations.

I guess this is less speculation and more me working out my thoughts. What do you folks think? I'm not even going to speculate what happens towards the end given my prior knowledge of what happens from playing the original. This new stuff has me intrigued.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thinking I might plug in my arcade controller to do the gym mini game lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m reaching the end of Chapter 10, and I’m starting to realize that we’re not getting Vincent or Cid yet. :smith:

In fact, this might seem greedy, but I still don’t feel like there’s enough in this game. I did get spoiled on one thing, that apparently this game ends around the Temple of the Ancients or something? Which is a little disappointing, I would have liked to at least get to the Northern Crater. There’s still so much we haven’t gotten to.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the gliding controls may not be the best, or even good, but I still get a lot of joy out of gliding between cliffs to explore the Cosmo Canyon area

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The open world content there is pretty whatever but I do feel like out of all the zones cosmo works the best with the game's weird lighting and LOD stuff visually. Love lookin at that place

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I know a few people here have already beat this so I'm just curious, when I do a hard mode playthrough will I be able to skip all of the non-mandatory minigames, assuming I got all the rewards in my Normal playthrough? Or do they give you new poo poo that will require me to do it all over again? I feel like I might as well go for a 100% playthrough at this point since I've already been doing everything, so I want to see just how much I'm going to hate myself by the time I'm done.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
After feeling burned out on the open world stuff in region 4 (due to the chocobo getting stuck all the time, obstructions to your destination and me not finding some paths), I loved region 5 and 6 (especially how funny moving around in 6 was) again.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I know a few people here have already beat this so I'm just curious, when I do a hard mode playthrough will I be able to skip all of the non-mandatory minigames, assuming I got all the rewards in my Normal playthrough? Or do they give you new poo poo that will require me to do it all over again? I feel like I might as well go for a 100% playthrough at this point since I've already been doing everything, so I want to see just how much I'm going to hate myself by the time I'm done.

You can skip most if not all minigames, so no more crunches with Jules. If you already beat a hard difficulty minigame on your normal playthrough, it stays beaten. Changes are that Queen's Blood players are all max level now and that you'll have to do some minigames for certain side quests if you want, seeing as you need them to unlock some other side quests sometimes (like winning a certain chocobo race) and get the folio associated with the fight in that side quest (like the ultimate party animal side quest).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1766153941644116188

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I feel like the density of mini-games can be a bit high (especially when highly concentrated like in Costa del Sol and the Gold Saucer), but for the most part it seems like the ones that really annoy me I can either skip or fail (like that miserable Run Wild game) or just do the first game or first level of and move on, unless I really really feel the need to 100% things (which, given how absolutely enormous this game is, I don't).

Hell, even the (chapter 8) shooter game from the back of the buggy had multiple checkpoints to restart from if you're as bad at it as I was.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think after a binge weekend I am going to be "sipping" FF7 content for a while so the minigames/open world icon stuff doesn't really feel like a bother at all

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I suspect the lingering discourse about Rebirth will not be about what it does to the plot in relation to the OG, but about what quantity of minigames and/or padding should a gamer find acceptable.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Pennfalath posted:

You can skip most if not all minigames, so no more crunches with Jules. If you already beat a hard difficulty minigame on your normal playthrough, it stays beaten. Changes are that Queen's Blood players are all max level now and that you'll have to do some minigames for certain side quests if you want, seeing as you need them to unlock some other side quests sometimes (like winning a certain chocobo race) and get the folio associated with the fight in that side quest (like the ultimate party animal side quest).

Thank god, I was really expecting some sort of "now do them all over again, but harder, if you want some extra folios" or something. I've enjoyed like 85% of the minigames but there are a few that I absolutely do not ever want to do again.

On a completely unrelated note, who do you guys think got the best shake in terms of additional character development? I'm still only on Chapter 8 but so far Red XIII is the clear winner on that front, he went from kind of a side character to having a ton of great scenes and party interactions. Tifa and Aerith's relationship is great, too. Yuffie is slightly more annoying, but mostly by dint of actually having voiced lines this time, and she's fun enough in combat to make up for it. Barret has some good bits too, though I am slightly salty they switched him from being a big softy and doing baby-talk to the baby birds in Corel to doing his gruff routine, especially since Cloud does the same thing afterward.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Red is the winner and it isn’t close

most of the cast has been fleshed out to their benefit (except maybe Cid, in chapter 10 and I’m not sure about his new direction) but Red went from a glorified showcase of the PSX’s polygons to one of the best characters in the series

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've been having fun with all the minigames. I actually find it kind of chill to settle in to play and have it be a bunch of amusement park distractions. I haven't found any of them too difficult or frustrating yet. Glide de Chocobo was the worst. It only took me a few tries but I felt bad to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, a lot of character benefitted but Red is probably the easy winner.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the key to not getting burnt out on minigames is to not do any of the gym stuff beside the side quest, because I noped out of that poo poo and had no problem acing everything in the Gold Saucer first try (well okay the Queens Blood matches took some attempts)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The best part about Queen's Blood is as soon as you start to sniff that your are probably going to lose you can just reset the whole match. Sorry kids, I don't owe you the 3 gil you get if I lose because I never lost. :smug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

I think the key to not getting burnt out on minigames is to not do any of the gym stuff beside the side quest, because I noped out of that poo poo and had no problem acing everything in the Gold Saucer first try (well okay the Queens Blood matches took some attempts)

Oh yeah I just walked straight out of the gym and never looked back lmao. Get hosed Jules, go back to wall market.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I wonder if I should just watch the other GS dates on YouTube rather than try to get the reps up although I'm sure it's probably a trophy.

Hoping to finish this up tonight depending on how much is left.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Where can you check your relationships in the menus? I can't find it and you don't always have the little smiley faces. Also I've got Aerith, Barret and Tifa all looking like the same level of happy face when I see them around, so I hope I still get Aerith for the repeat date.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Red and Cait Sith are the biggest winners as the B-listers from the original that had the most room for improvement (Yuffie already got her glow-up in Intermission)

Can’t really comment on Cid or Vincent yet but I expect Vincent will be like Red was in Remake: a late arrival that makes a good first impression but won’t be fleshed out until Part 3.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

JBP posted:

Where can you check your relationships in the menus? I can't find it and you don't always have the little smiley faces. Also I've got Aerith, Barret and Tifa all looking like the same level of happy face when I see them around, so I hope I still get Aerith for the repeat date.

You get a menu showing details after you finish the game, but before that all you have is the faces. You can press L1 to pop them up outside of combat sometimes though

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

triple sulk posted:

I wonder if I should just watch the other GS dates on YouTube rather than try to get the reps up although I'm sure it's probably a trophy.

Hoping to finish this up tonight depending on how much is left.

Chapter Select when you beat the game lets you just redo the date with whoever

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Pollyanna posted:

I’m reaching the end of Chapter 10, and I’m starting to realize that we’re not getting Vincent or Cid yet. :smith:

In fact, this might seem greedy, but I still don’t feel like there’s enough in this game. I did get spoiled on one thing, that apparently this game ends around the Temple of the Ancients or something? Which is a little disappointing, I would have liked to at least get to the Northern Crater. There’s still so much we haven’t gotten to.

Well, there is a whole third game. I feel like this one has so many hits in it that what it leaves for the 3rd game might seem lacking, if this team weren't so drat competent. What I'm worried might not be/seemingly isn't in this game is Wutai. There's no way we don't go there in either this or the next game though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I've not been reading the thread at all, trying to smash through the game but doing a pretty awful job of it cause I'm only in chapter 12. For the date, I got Aerith but I sorta want Tifa who I had for the interrupted one in 8 (I know you can apparently watch the others later in some fashion). I reloaded my save to before the date starts and looked up a little bit of info. I've done all the sidequests that seem to be for Aerith, her smiley face is fully filled in and beaming, Tifa's has a section missing still. If I do both the Tifa rep giving sidequests that have become available in Chapter 12, will that definitely push her up to being the date or not? I might also have some synergy stuff undone on her that I could do if I reset her skill cores and go through all the Tifa/Cloud synergy things. One of them seems to be all the chocobo races which is obviously gonna be an hour or so of holding the x button, and the other one opens after I do another sidequest in Costa Del Sol and is a lot of arena fighting so I wanna know if it'll do the thing I care about before I do it though.

I know I can just watch it after the game but I kinda like the initial playthrough to be my ideal one, just annoying I've hosed it a bit doing so many Aerith sidequests I guess.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 8, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

You can't see the exact relationships until you finish the game once, just general happiness levels.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Chapter Select when you beat the game lets you just redo the date with whoever

Oh cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

Well, there is a whole third game. I feel like this one has so many hits in it that what it leaves for the 3rd game might seem lacking, if this team weren't so drat competent. What I'm worried might not be/seemingly isn't in this game is Wutai. There's no way we don't go there in either this or the next game though.

Wutai was already confirmed for next game, yeah.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That's for the best since it'll probably have to be even bigger than the original one, which was unreasonably big.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Caidin posted:

I thought I'd finish the game last night but it turns out Temple of the Ancients is kind of a whole thing, like drat. Nice to finally get a boss fight out of Tseng though, and I'm happy Reno is finally back so that is also nice. Also Cloud was getting pretty scary before I had to go to bed at nearly 4 in the morning.

Same boat, lol
I made it to the final save point at 330am and having just come out of an hour long cutscene, figured I should just hold off

Just rolled credits now, with most side quests and everything done

10/10 game, with some demerits mostly around minigames and Chadley

And now I need someone to explain the ending to me

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I hate fighting these stupid magic/phys immune enemies as solely Cait in the mansion. Thank you so much for these

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How can Chadley be stopped?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yuffie is slightly more annoying, but mostly by dint of actually having voiced lines this time, and she's fun enough in combat to make up for it.

I feel like she's probably more annoying with the English audio?

The subtitles seem to track the English localization, and while my Japanese is pretty limited, there are enough places where things appear to significantly diverge from the dialogue that I get the impression she's much more over the top in English.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yuffie is cool and good

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yuffie is annoying but she's also a teenager, they managed to balance that so I don't hate this version.

Unlike the original who stole all my stuff and left me to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't know if she still plans it, but I'm gonna NEED a sequence where she still steals all your materia. Remix it, reinterpret it if they have to.