Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CzarChasm posted:

And I need to make a deal with my meat toucher.

Please, no meat-touching, ma'am.

Julet Esqu posted:

And now here comes the Home Free creator, Tom Toro, to threaten his audience

Causing Tom Toro to have a stroke by requesting the strip without somebody making a face like they just caught their finger in a car door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Are these two on a roller coaster? Where the hell are they?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

I'm not sure what they were going for, but Bok's expression here reads to me as the captain in Night Watch

“Rebel songs, sir!” said trooper number one. The captain sighed.
“If you listen, Hepplewhite, you might notice that it is the national anthem sung very badly,” he said.
“We can’t allow rebels to sing that, sir!”
Vimes saw the captain’s expression. It had a lot to say about idiots.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

quote:

We Are Reproducing

Linguistic footnote: The side comment “I just hate not knowing” is a wonderful idiomatic expression, hebi no namagoroshi “it’s like half-killing a snake,” meaning drawing something out in an unsatisfying way.
Medical question: Google couldn’t tell me what “2000 T” might be referring to – any ideas?

We’ve got a new Q-Rais joint (looks like Sad Frog was a one-shot), Parsley in the Corner. The way it’s listed as chapter 1, I think it’ll be continuing.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 9, 1010)

Baron Bean(March 10, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(February 7, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 31, 1919)

:negative:

Us Boys(March 8, 1912)

The Gumps(April 6, 1917)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing
Linguistic footnote: The side comment “I just hate not knowing” is a wonderful idiomatic expression, hebi no namagoroshi “it’s like half-killing a snake,” meaning drawing something out in an unsatisfying way.
Medical question: Google couldn’t tell me what “2000 T” might be referring to – any ideas?

At 12 weeks since the last period, a mother's urine should have Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) levels of 20,000 - 200,000 mIU/ml (milli-inernational units per milliliter). 2000 mIU/ml would indicate a much more recent pregnancy. I don't know why it's abbreviated "T". Google Translate tells me "international unit" is pronounced "Kokusai tan'i", so maybe "tan'i"?

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing
I’m not sure about the T, but likely the doctor was testing her Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) levels — the hormone that at-home pregnancy tests can detect. In a healthy pregnancy, it increases at a standard rate. A pregnancy is usually visible on an ultrasound at around 2000 mIU/mL, which could be around week 5 or 6 of pregnancy. If she thinks her pregnancy is much farther along, then you can see her hCG levels are much lower than expected.

Edit: beaten by 4 minutes!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's hard to tell the time scale in the comic("more than a month" means a lot here - the range scale goes by weeks until you get to 2-3 months) but 2000 mIU/mL (idk what T would be, it's not any unit I've ever heard of so I'm assuming. HCG quant would be the logical thing to measure here anyway) could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 weeks going by the standards of the lab I work at.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Safety Dance posted:

At 12 weeks since the last period, a mother's urine should have Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) levels of 20,000 - 200,000 mIU/ml (milli-inernational units per milliliter). 2000 mIU/ml would indicate a much more recent pregnancy. I don't know why it's abbreviated "T". Google Translate tells me "international unit" is pronounced "Kokusai tan'i", so maybe "tan'i"?
Thank you (edit: everyone who answered)! Hmm, even poking around on some Japanese-language sites about it I can't find any reference to "T"... Either it's a placeholder Uchida is using to avoid writing out the whole thing, or it's terminology they've stopped using in the 30 intervening years, I guess.

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 8, 2024

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yay a Precure parody :3:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

We’ve got a new Q-Rais joint (looks like Sad Frog was a one-shot), Parsley in the Corner. The way it’s listed as chapter 1, I think it’ll be continuing.

this is already loving great

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

We better get something new next week. :mad:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

:lmao:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Giant Ethicist posted:

Wow, I didn't expect a Precure parody. I like this already

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Do your best, Parsley!

Kennel posted:

Mandrake The Magician

:lmao:

:owned:

Crazy twilight years Mandrake can nail jokes better than half the thread, lol.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hostile V posted:

this is not a haiku. this is a 3/5/3 scheme. that is not a haiku. I have gotten baked and written poetry before and I am so loving offended.

Sensemilia
Really makes the mind expand
Dude, I smell my thoughts

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Esa Ahto

The weird proportions of Miss Spock and the other characters are bizarrely attractive, looking at them is like taking a long deep sniff of Vick’s Vapo-Rub.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

For someone who didn't even do anything beyond have half a conversation with the man, Mary sure is taking one hell of a victory lap here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The weird proportions of Miss Spock and the other characters are bizarrely attractive, looking at them is like taking a long deep sniff of Vick’s Vapo-Rub.

Kind of reminds me of Thunderbirds (which this predates by 3 years).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kennel posted:

Esa Ahto

I can't believe Egon Meuronen invented anime

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 9, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 7/6/52

"Minced alligator will course through the trees like the winds of winter" is a surprisingly poetic image.

Archie 10/13-15/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 3/27/77

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Safety Dance posted:

Quoting from a couple days ago because I love when Tinkersons name drops random pizza places from Alatoona, PA

https://www.mamarandazzos.com/

gently caress I am from Altoona and a friend name dropped this comic to me just now and I am losing my mind.

Best Italian Wedding Soup I ever had

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 9, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This might be the most annoying strip that runs in this thread for me.

SA user F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted that comic strip Mary Worth was annoying for giving a lovely character a happy ending and then spending weeks recapping an arc they've been doing since August or September of the previous year.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Bethesda threw out so many more interesting ideas for Constellation... :sigh:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

We better get something new next week. :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Now I'm Contemplating Rabbit Reproductive Rights And I Want To Do Anything Else

Stigma Stinger In Your Bud

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 10/12/52
Was it actually a thing that doctors 100 years ago would just not tell their patients they had a medical condition? And sometimes tell other people (eg. spouses) but not the patient? Because it comes up a lot in fiction but seems completely insane to me from a modern perspective.

That bird is into some sick poo poo.

OK so the tilde is the ~ thing above the n in jalapeño, but what does it mean that he's accidentally used a "jalapeno" (no tilde)? I don't know if this is a bad, nonsensical joke or if I'm missing something.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Tiggum posted:

Was it actually a thing that doctors 100 years ago would just not tell their patients they had a medical condition? And sometimes tell other people (eg. spouses) but not the patient? Because it comes up a lot in fiction but seems completely insane to me from a modern perspective.

IIRC, when Charles Schulz's mother was diagnosed with cancer the doctor only told her husband, and Charles only found out a few months before she died about her illness. This was in the early 1940's.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiggum posted:

That bird is into some sick poo poo.

OK so the tilde is the ~ thing above the n in jalapeño, but what does it mean that he's accidentally used a "jalapeno" (no tilde)? I don't know if this is a bad, nonsensical joke or if I'm missing something.

Actually, yes. Until the 1950s, before the development of modern theories of palliative care and hospice, the prevailing medical guideline was to be evasive about untreatable terminal diagnoses out of concern that the distress would make everything worse and possibly lead to patient suicide.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

home, home on the range

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"I don't care. Jules sucks."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Murdstone posted:

"I don't care. Jules sucks."

I've often wondered how much obvious phoning it in it takes before a syndicate decides to contract someone new to take over a legacy strip.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The MST3K moment that has come to mind most with Mary Worth lately is Servo just SCREAMING in the middle of the scene with the kid in Mitchell

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kazinsal posted:

I've often wondered how much obvious phoning it in it takes before a syndicate decides to contract someone new to take over a legacy strip.
I'm guessing the bar is "are they causing more angry letters than the usual background noise?"

1981 comics

I'm not familiar with French politics at the time, but I'm assuming this is referencing this guy coming into office.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 9, 2024

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 25, 1962)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

The MST3K moment that has come to mind most with Mary Worth lately is Servo just SCREAMING in the middle of the scene with the kid in Mitchell

buzz off, keith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse