Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

Now that I’ve finished marathonning this, which of the FF7 side-games are worth my time?

might be easier to narrow them down to ones that aren't. jules' gym is for masochists. chocobo gliding just feels unpleasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Oxxidation posted:

might be easier to narrow them down to ones that aren't. jules' gym is for masochists. chocobo gliding just feels unpleasant

No I did all the side quests, I meant the non-rebirth/remake/OG games

Eg the Vincent and Zack and Yuffie spinoffs

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
I've been doing all the side content but I think I am going to have to just start skipping because there is just so, so much. I'm 22 hours in and just finally finished chapter 4. Its evil how well paced and placed all the side content is. Too easy for me to say "well this one side thing is close, let me go do it real quick" and then it's 3 hours later.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

No I did all the side quests, I meant the non-rebirth/remake/OG games

Eg the Vincent and Zack and Yuffie spinoffs

if by yuffie spinoff you mean remake: intermission then that one's fantastic. crisis core hasn't withstood the test of time, the structure is very repetitive (given it was meant to be played in short chunks on a commute etc) and the writing is loving terrible. dirge of cerberus is baffling enough to be worth a youtube longplay or something but it absolutely isn't worth playing

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Chadley is going to gain too much knowledge of the world, turning him into a raging madman superboss in R3.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The previews for this game really undersold how big and "involved" the open world areas in this are. I'm in Gongaga now, and it's pretty neat just exploring. It's more visually interesting than most other open-world environments I've seen in games.

Edit: I think the one plot thing I'm not liking so far (early chapter 9) is the stuff with Glenn trying to make Rufus push for war with Wutai. It seems like he has some relationship with the whispers, and I don't really like more characters than just Sephiroth and Aerith being involved with that stuff. I'm fine with that stuff being in the margins but it seems like the plot is leading to his schemes being Important in some way.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 9, 2024

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I dunno if I'm just imagining things but it seems like R2 works to speed you up even when you're not on a chocobo.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

yo what the gently caress is this chocobo gliding

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The fastest I've ever died was to this group of cactuars. Dead in perhaps 3 seconds. This is for the main story??? This little green idiots are making me actually mad.

e: I genuinely do not understand what the game expects me to do to these things, especially alone

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 9, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dodge like crazy (or block em out I suppose) and hit a triple slash when you have atb. The little guys have no hp and any atb attack will basically kill them. Save the assess until the herd is thinned if you want that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You can also skip them and do the other objectives around. You can come back with a group later.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress, am I missing something in Glide de Chocobo? This isn’t like any other gliding minigame I’ve played. How does lift and speed work here?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress, am I missing something in Glide de Chocobo? This isn’t like any other gliding minigame I’ve played. How does lift and speed work here?

You have to dive down and reach a certain speed before you can lift. You can't really gain any more lift than you had unless you hit air currents.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Something I appreciate is the crafting system actually being useful. I almost never spend gil on gear because while I wander around the open map stuff I gather enough bits and pieces to make most of what I need, including consumables -- to the point where it also helps me be a bit less of a hoarder of consumables than I usually am in RPGs, because they don't feel like extremely rare and limited resources. Hell, if I need gil for something, I can get a decent price selling older crafted armor. Bonus.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao, the final Queen's Blood challenger is way harder than the final boss of the main story :negative:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Does changing the difficulty make gears and gambits easy? This is boring.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

JBP posted:

Does changing the difficulty make gears and gambits easy? This is boring.

Yes, and every guide I've seen is like "just auto program that poo poo it doesn't matter, none of this matters. Just say Smith or somethin"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nucular Carmul posted:

Yes, and every guide I've seen is like "just auto program that poo poo it doesn't matter, none of this matters. Just say Smith or somethin"

Didn't see auto. Set them to auto and it was a walkover. Thanks.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

ImpAtom posted:

... Does that make him Sephiroth's brother?

I'll be honest, I thought he was just a young sephiroth clone until someone pointed out he says he's a cyborg. But I still kind of assume that means his organic parts are sephiroth clones

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Jesus loving Christ the Nightmare Survival Card Game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Somebody mentioned that the hard mode version of Fort Condor gives you a key item you need for completion's / trophy's sake, but I just ran it and all I got was 5 party XP? Specifically I mean the hard mode version of level 4 that opens up after you clear all four levels and get the protorelic. If it doesn't actually matter for anything, then I guess its at least 5 party XP. :shrug:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You need to do all four stages!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ALL HAIL SOLEMN GUS, KING OF COREL PRISON

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Arist posted:

You need to do all four stages!

When I click on the thing my only option is to do hard mode stage 4. What other stages?

E: cripes you mean the original locations don't you. :negative:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You have to go back to the others. I haven't actually done it yet, but I did Hard Mode Stage 4 and didn't get the reward, but the game told me to complete Hard Mode, so I know that's how you get it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SettingSun posted:

The fastest I've ever died was to this group of cactuars. Dead in perhaps 3 seconds. This is for the main story??? This little green idiots are making me actually mad.

e: I genuinely do not understand what the game expects me to do to these things, especially alone

You dodge constantly and fire off Triple Slash. Ideally equip stuff that starts you out with ATB.

It's weird because you die instantly if they hit you. But the cactuars die instantly if you hit them. Just never stop moving/dodging.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Thundarr posted:

When I click on the thing my only option is to do hard mode stage 4. What other stages?

E: cripes you mean the original locations don't you. :negative:

You can fast travel to all of them.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'll be honest, I thought he was just a young sephiroth clone until someone pointed out he says he's a cyborg. But I still kind of assume that means his organic parts are sephiroth clones

Was the cyborg thing mentioned at some point during Remake and I just missed it or forgot about it, or is that something they added in Rebirth? I was very surprised by (what seemed to me to be) the offhand reveal of that information early on in Rebirth.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Thank you to the person who said changing the game difficulty to Easy makes Fort Condor easier as well. I was bashing my head against the 4th match then I turned the difficulty down and beat it with 46 seconds left on the clock.

Also I just got the buggy and it has an obnoxiously long boarding animation and you can't even run over enemies/completely avoid combat!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think the chadzor just tells you he's a cyborg straight up when you first meet him in the slums in remake 1. Granted cloud treats that like it's nothing then you then go fight rats and look for cats for a while so it's easy to forget

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Chadley only revealed he's a cyborg created by Hojo after you complete all of his tasks and challenges. Before that he just says he's an intern seeking to destroy his bosses.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
I am absolutely blown away by how many banging songs they made for what I assume are one-off events. Just in Chapter 4, the frog song, the dog song, the merc song - all absolutely fantastic.

Blasting this on my morning jog feels real good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSV3YmkKI8E

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I recommend listening to whatever version of the merc song you didn't hear between EN and JP, they're both amazing earworms. Honestly the OST might be the best part of the whole fuckin game and I want it all streaming now :worship:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
End of chapter 9: ROCHE NO

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Gruckles posted:

Chadley only revealed he's a cyborg created by Hojo after you complete all of his tasks and challenges. Before that he just says he's an intern seeking to destroy his bosses.

Okay, that makes sense. I finished Remake but definitely did not 100% all the various things.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

No Mods No Masters posted:

I recommend listening to whatever version of the merc song you didn't hear between EN and JP, they're both amazing earworms. Honestly the OST might be the best part of the whole fuckin game and I want it all streaming now :worship:

Didn't even realize they had an English and Japanese version! And both are great. They really went all out for this game

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ok the Junon frog thing is kinda great

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I didn’t realize the troopers in the Gongaga simulations were different variants and forgot to scan them. Do they pop up anywhere else?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Multiple hours later, following different guides with completely different strats, I finally beat Fort Condor hard mode level 3. Literal hundredths of a second or inches of placement can affect the outcome and force a restart if one of your guys dies when they weren't supposed to.

So I guess I have to reiterate, gently caress Fort Condor. And now I'll never, ever have to touch it again. Still no key item though but at least the intel page has them checked off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Love my gaggle of Junon idiots