Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Vlaphor posted:

From what I was told, the issue is that Sabotuer doesn't like 90 fps, so you have to set it to 60 for the resolution change to work and 1280x800 only allows 90hz for some reason. I'm sure there will be a work around soon.

They....actually may've fixed it, possibly just now? I noticed a small download before I jumped into the video setup program just now to check - and I was in fact set to 720/60hz there. On a whim, I switched to 1280x800 because I DO remember it saying only 90hz and 90hz being the only option in the drop-down, but for whatever reason 60 and 90hz were both available after picking 1280x800. Seems to work great now at 800/60hz. Weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

While I’m posting hot takes, I tried a coworker’s OLED model, and while I did think it was nice, I don’t think I need to go through the bother of upgrading from my LCD model. All of the small changes are nice, but I don’t need em. I’m not really fussy about screens in general, I don’t need more battery, and the small tweaks don’t push me over the edge. (Also I sure am glad I didn’t get a model with the matte screen - I hated how that looked. Eugh.)

I would still tell anyone considering their first Deck to buy the OLED though. An extra $150 is a no brainer unless you’re really really strapped for cash, or you’re just a “shrug whatever” type of a person like I am.

Yeah this is what I settled on when it came out, if 2 Deck 2 Vent launches with an OLED (which it probably will, probably even the same one) I'm absolutely getting that one.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

Steam should provide a copy of Vampire Survivors and Balatro to everyone who buys a deck

They really should, no joke. Balatro should be the new MS solitaire.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Whenever the Steam Deck 2 comes out, I'm going to repurpose the original for something goofy. Maybe a home server, or an Apple TV/Shield replacement since I'm pretty sure it has AV1 decoding capabilities. It's pretty cool how much hardware is in this thing and how little power it uses.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Whenever the Steam Deck 2 comes out, I'm going to repurpose the original for something goofy. Maybe a home server, or an Apple TV/Shield replacement since I'm pretty sure it has AV1 decoding capabilities. It's pretty cool how much hardware is in this thing and how little power it uses.

No need to even repurpose it for goofy poo poo.

It's still going to be a super decent handheld for older game and indie titles. poo poo, just think of all the games that you can play on a really basic 4 year old laptop right now. And Doom 2016 on an airplane is never going to get old.

If I don't sell mine off the day Deck 2 launches to roll funds forward into that, I have to assume it will get passed down to a friend or family member to keep doing what it's been doing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
No need to upgrade, it will run Balatro and Quake forever.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Harlock posted:

Steam should provide a copy of Vampire Survivors and Balatro to everyone who buys a deck

Our Must Have steam deck things from this thread seem to be:

1. Vampire Survivors
2. Dredge
3. Tetris Effect
4. Balatro

There are tons of other games mentioned a lot, (The Ascent, Dinkum, D2R) but those 4 seem to be evergreen.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Balatro is the dumbest, most dad game I have ever heard of in my life and the appeal of it astounds me

Vampire Survivors, though, is a perfect video game

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Here are my 10 must haves for Deck, in no particular order:

Vampire Survivors
Tetris Effect
Ori and the Will of the Wisp* (amazing on OLED)
Hades* (amazing on OLED)
Cocoon
Sifu
Dredge
Cult of the Lamb
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
Hi-Fi Rush

Honorable mention:
Wandering Village

These games should be on your wishlist to buy when they go on special, unless its a genre you do not enjoy.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My list:

1) Doom (1993)
2) Doom II
3) Quake
4) Quake II
5) Doom (2016)
6) Doom 64
7) Final Fantasy 1
8) Halls of Torment
9) Balatro
10) New Star GP

Honorable Mentions:
Horizon Chase Turbo
Gunhead
Halo collection
Sky Rogue
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Armored Commander II (despite appearances, the control scheme is very good)
Mutant Football League
Tetris Effect & Lumines (would rank higher but I'm really poo poo at them)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dramicus posted:

My list:

1) Doom (1993)
2) Doom II
3) Quake
4) Quake II
5) Doom (2016)
6) Doom 64
7) Final Fantasy 1
8) Halls of Torment
9) Balatro
10) New Star GP

Honorable Mentions:
Horizon Chase Turbo
Gunhead
Halo collection
Sky Rogue
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Armored Commander II (despite appearances, the control scheme is very good)
Mutant Football League
Tetris Effect & Lumines (would rank higher but I'm really poo poo at them)

I can’t explain why but I found this list hilarious LOL

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

jokes posted:

Balatro is the dumbest, most dad game I have ever heard of in my life and the appeal of it astounds me

Vampire Survivors, though, is a perfect video game

Agreed x 2, but I love both those games equally

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

jokes posted:

It should be bundled with a big game hunting game and a fishing game

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Brotato, halls of torment, monster train, grim dawn, DRG: survivor, and portal are probably my top picks.

Stuff I've actually played besides emulators, that is.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Animal posted:

It should be bundled with a big game hunting game and a fishing game

I would buy either of those games if they got the Vampire Survivors treatment

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

I feel like I must be missing something really simple — I’ve got Sunshine installed on my PC, Moonlight installed on my Deck and if I just access Big Picture mode from Moonlight I can play whatever streamed to the Deck just fine. I have Deckloader installed, MoondeckBuddy installed on the PC (and added to Sunshine as an app) and MoonDeck installed on the Deck but trying to launch a game from the MoonDeck icon results in a ‘stream failed to launch message’…

I’ve read through a number of guides and believe I’ve followed all the right steps but can’t seem to close this last half-mile of saving me handfuls of seconds the few rare times I want to stream a game…

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eve online got deck verified.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MarcusSA posted:

Uh oh.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

oh no

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm seeing a disturbing lack of Ultrakill on these lists of required games.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

EVE on a deck screen sounds like hell

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Photex posted:

EVE on a deck screen sounds like hell

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can increase the font size on most spreadsheet programs I thought.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TwoDeer posted:

I feel like I must be missing something really simple — I’ve got Sunshine installed on my PC, Moonlight installed on my Deck and if I just access Big Picture mode from Moonlight I can play whatever streamed to the Deck just fine. I have Deckloader installed, MoondeckBuddy installed on the PC (and added to Sunshine as an app) and MoonDeck installed on the Deck but trying to launch a game from the MoonDeck icon results in a ‘stream failed to launch message’…

I’ve read through a number of guides and believe I’ve followed all the right steps but can’t seem to close this last half-mile of saving me handfuls of seconds the few rare times I want to stream a game…

I had this issue at some point, but frustratingly can't remember exactly how I fixed it. IIRC it had something to do with a difference between the Decky/MoonDeck settings and Moonlight ones. Like it either was or wasn't importing settings from Moonlight.

So I guess try messing around with the MoonDeck settings?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I’ve been using the switch for a couple of years but its age and weak performance is really starting to show. And since I’m too impatient to wait for the switch 2 I’ve been eyeing the deck as a substitute. But I’m also tired and lazy and have to energy to have to mod and tinker and mess around with operating systems and software to get games to run. So my question is, is it realistic to simply expect to buy one of the new oled decks and a dock and plug them in and start playing stuff? I don’t mind if things aren’t super optimized or could, theoretically, work better.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Star posted:

I’ve been using the switch for a couple of years but its age and weak performance is really starting to show. And since I’m too impatient to wait for the switch 2 I’ve been eyeing the deck as a substitute. But I’m also tired and lazy and have to energy to have to mod and tinker and mess around with operating systems and software to get games to run. So my question is, is it realistic to simply expect to buy one of the new oled decks and a dock and plug them in and start playing stuff? I don’t mind if things aren’t super optimized or could, theoretically, work better.

You really don't have to tinker that much with the steam deck. Sometimes you'll have to manually set a proton version, but for the most part you can treat it like a console, including the dock. You will want to monitor protondb though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah, the big attraction of the deck is that it bridges the PC / console gap. Games that are marked "Steam Deck verified" should generally run well with no tinkering needed.

There's also plenty of games that aren't verified but still run great - https://www.protondb.com/ will let you search them and if you are up for a little bit of initial tinkering then you can install an extension on the Deck that reports the protondb rating on a game's page. Anything marked platinum can be run without hesitation and anything marked gold will only need minor changes (such as a specific proton version)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Star posted:

Yes. As long as you stick to Verified games, you can treat the Deck like a Switch and it should Just Work™.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't dock my deck (so big grain of salt) but my guess is that unless you're playing games that aren't demanding at all it's probably the worst way to use it. It's going to be forced to run at higher res which will only hurt performance. The deck works so well because it only has to run at 800p so it doesn't need that much horsepower to make games look decent and run at acceptable fps at that res. All the sudden running at 4k or 1080p with it is going to tank frame rate.

Also I see mostly negative thoughts on docks ITT about how it takes several tries to work, etc. It isn't as good as a console experience as well, other consoles. Do a bit more research I guess (maybe I should too but I've never wanted a dock since my gaming PC is plugged into my TV) and know what you're getting into. The deck is more powerful than a switch for sure but it's a far cry from the current consoles.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Well this all sounds great. Thanks for quick answers, I’ll probably pick one up asap.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I use my deck docked all the time, it's great.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I’m having an issue with Moonlight streaming using the Deck OLED. After a while, I start getting network jitter and the stream is no longer smooth. Opening the Deck’s menu and navigating to network settings seems to fix it, so I’m guessing the WiFi chip is going into power saving mode, and opening the network settings wakes it. 5-10 minutes later and the problem returns. I tried turning off power saving in the dev menu but this doesn’t fix it. This wasn’t an issue with the old LCD Deck, so I’m guessing the OLED’s upgraded WiFi chip has this flaw. Other people online are also having this issue with the OLED. I hope it’s a software issue that can be fixed, or there will be more Moonlight streaming for me. Which is a shame because it’s freaking amazing at 90hz and HDR.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Relatively intense modern games are not going to be a good time docked. You already have to make compromises (low frame rate, fsr, low settings) to get most of them working in handheld mode at 720p. Something like Cyberpunk or Spider-Man, for example, will be surprisingly playable but not perfect in handheld and absolute "what is this trash?" on your tv. 2D and low poly stuff will be fine.

You'll get a feel for what's likely to work. And the amount of fantastic games the Deck can handle is downright silly. Bouncing between classic LucasArts adventure games, Deep Rock Galactic Survivor, and Yakuza one one device is great. Most third party Switch games also come to Deck and tend to work better.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

When it comes to 3D AAA games yeah you sometimes need to restrict the deck to a lower resolution, but it's surprisingly capable at running older and less demanding titles at up to 4k. It reports the 1280x800 resolution of the screen to games by default even when docked so you shouldn't ever get thrown into a slideshow running at 4k.

It also took me way too long to realise that this default was why some games with restrictive settings wouldn't let me select higher resolutions - I had to go into the properties of the game and select a game resolution of "native".

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I played through the latest hitman game on the switch as a cloud version. My tolerance for lovely gaming experiences is quite high.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The Saboteur also has a community controller profile that makes the gamepad work natively and fixes all the button prompts. It's the first one that pops up.

Also yeah, definitely run the video setup tool, because it defaults to lower texture detail than Max, and the Deck can easily run the game maxed out at 60 locked and it's wonderful.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I still use my dock but 95% of the time it’s to stream something from my PC through Moonlight. The Deck upscaler just is not up to the task beyond that little 800p screen most of the time and I’m okay with that.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

King of Solomon posted:

I use my deck docked all the time, it's great.

Does that affect the battery life at all?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Vegastar posted:

I still use my dock but 95% of the time it’s to stream something from my PC through Moonlight. The Deck upscaler just is not up to the task beyond that little 800p screen most of the time and I’m okay with that.

Hell yeah. Getting Sunshine / Moonlight / MoonDeck installed and configured was a pretty fiddly process, but now that I've got it set up being able to launch and connect to any game on my PC with a single button press is magical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

FireWorksWell posted:

Does that affect the battery life at all?

I'm not a battery expert, so perhaps someone else can chime in, but from what I understand modern batteries are not affected by staying charged. They experience wear by being cycled, as in charged -> discharged -> charged. Having said that, you probably shouldn't worry and just use your deck however you please. Its far more likely that Steam deck 2 or 3 will be released by the time the battery fails on your OG deck.