Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This thread really says a lot about society...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
arrowhead made their game WOKE with NERFS, now the servers are CUCKED

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

This thread really says a lot about society...

New thread title spotted.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

so the laser cannon seems to be utter dogshit still, i get run down by like 3 berzerkers o na full use of the entire heat sink

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
The more popular a game is the more tryhards and capital G gamers that don't get that games can be fun for many types of people will go up. Ratio means more loud voices. It's just math.

In the real world I've enjoyed playing this game with many types of player. Sometimes it's casual sometimes its hunting the next exploit.

Also the ceo been real professional and diplomatic on this. I'm sure Arrowhead feels proud of their work, they know it's popular. The people fussing about max difficulties few people are playing are an absolute minority inshallah.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WoodrowSkillson posted:

so the laser cannon seems to be utter dogshit still, i get run down by like 3 berzerkers o na full use of the entire heat sink
You still need to aim for their weakspots

Took the post-nerf Railgun out for a spin and it's pretty much the same but as it was against bots pre-nerf

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The Laser Cannon fries weak points, it's just that Berserkers are massive blobs of HP. I just watched a guy blow up a cannon tower turret from the other side of the map in one short burst to its weak point, and you can pop heads pretty easily with it.

My mech trip report is that it loving whips when it doesn't randomly short-circuit and explode completely unprovoked. I was judiciously avoiding firing rockets while moving and still exploded while chasing down some bots with a minigun burst on the move

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wasnt super impressed with laser cannon either. Finding doing Charger hunting with an EAT-toting friend and myself with a Stalwart to be fun on 5-6 though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hwurmp posted:

how do people get to level 15+ and still not know how to prepare for heavies, or avoid aggro

Because until difficulty 3 or so you don't even really see a charger and aggro is an absolute non-issue. 3-5 you see one or two chargers the whole mission and too many enemies is solved by throwing a strategem at it. 6+ you see five chargers the instant you land, and every time you use a strategem more dudes just show up to tell you to knock it off with racket. The jump in difficulty isn't really felt until you hit very specific numbers and the playstyle shift it demands doesn't become noticeable until you hit the difficulties that drop super samples. Even on 6 you can just run through the game shooting everything and never really get hurt. If not for super samples I'd probably just play on 6 forever because it's the sweet spot for me, I'm bad at the game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

also lol mechs are a waste of a slot

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Dandywalken posted:

This thread really says a lot about Democracy...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Friends getting real salty tonight, lmao. Got one guy who has absolutely no concept of sticking with the team even while fighting/running and will disappear to the other side of the map and say "I'M TRYING TO SURVIVE" condescendingly when we ask where the gently caress he is. And of course he dies because nobody can get there.

That bug with the rocket on the mech blowing itself up needs to be fixed, I died quite a few times tonight to that :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i don't know why i would ever bring an orbital laser over a mech

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I feel like the key to the mech is to stick with the squad and provide general support going for the bigger enemies or clumped up groups of small dudes. It really needs dudes on the ground to support it. The turn rate of the torso is fairly slow so it doesn't work well in a Rambo situation when you start to get swarmed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

prepare for titanfall

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hows mech for evac-stage on higher difficulty?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Its nice that the pelican provides fire support while dropping off the mech. I didnt expect that.

Also it killed me. But i did expect that

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

got a fun bug where my character wouldn't stop running forward. Sucks, bc I was carrying two pubbies and they were on comms saying "SIR YES SIR" and it was cute

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dandywalken posted:

Hows mech for evac-stage on higher difficulty?

that's probably the best time to use them, at least for bugs. a single mech can kill a few bile titans or maybe six chargers before running out of ammo.

i assume that with robots they'd be instagibbed by rocket launchers in seconds

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

explosivo posted:

Friends getting real salty tonight, lmao. Got one guy who has absolutely no concept of sticking with the team even while fighting/running and will disappear to the other side of the map and say "I'M TRYING TO SURVIVE" condescendingly when we ask where the gently caress he is. And of course he dies because nobody can get there.

That bug with the rocket on the mech blowing itself up needs to be fixed, I died quite a few times tonight to that :(

I have a friend like that, they always run off "to collect points of interest!" and abandon the rest of us in the middle of fire fights or objectives. Then if we die we get respawned a million miles away from where we were and our support weapons/samples.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i dont know about that, i took out 4 titans in around 30 seconds during an evac. earlier in the mission a took out 2 titans and at least 5 chargers while we were on an objective. ive never been able to do with any other stratagem.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So far the mechs feel useful in very specific situations and pretty underwhelming in others. I wouldn't call it a wasted slot but also I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me the discord has imploded due to outrage that they're not invincible death machines.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
They're good for when poo poo hits the fan to prevent a wipe or while extracting. I got 2 bile titans and 2 chargers with just the missles on one earlier, that's pretty effective.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The mechs are VERY strong against the bugs and almost totally unusable vs bots lol. One mech can casually kill half a dozen or more chargers or a few bile titans while also mowing down hordes of warriors/brood commanders, but rocket raiders and rocket devastators make the mech eat their poo poo if you're out in the open for more than a second

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
It's so rare I get help from someone else when I mark a hulk that's coming at me. The weakpoint is on the back, come on. I also had a frustrating time when someone else was being chased by a hulk near me - instead of leading it so I could see its back, they ran circles around me while I tried to get behind it

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Kly posted:

i dont know about that, i took out 4 titans in around 30 seconds during an evac. earlier in the mission a took out 2 titans and at least 5 chargers while we were on an objective. ive never been able to do with any other stratagem.

Yeah, mechs definitely aren't a waste of a slot. You can handle less overall hulks than 20 Perfect Visor Shots from the old railgun but

- The minigun fires for 50 straight seconds decimating small/medium units that usually clog the map up
- Kills all variety of enemy better than a deployed orbital laser in quantity with the ability to direct the fire
- Kills dropships. Takes 2 rockets to an engine, 14 rockets you are probably going to have the capacity for 2-4 takedowns
- Closes bug holes from a distance
- Kills 2-4 chargers/hulks or 2-4 titans/tanks

Having two of those per mission is more worth it to me than having the orbital laser. Laser is only 3 uses, struggles to kill 1-2 titans, can't be directed and is obstructed/distracted a lot. It's arguably better than 500kg on bots as you only lose the ability to destroy buildings while still killing heavy units in greater quantities.

It's not good enough in my opinion to stop carrying a support weapon and I'd have trouble deciding to bring it on a 3 strategem mission but definitely not bad.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Almost balanced you could say

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ZeusCannon posted:

And for this, I will crucify the developers

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

the mech is great, i like it and what it brings to the game

but if they ever change how it works in any way I will be extremely mad

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Because until difficulty 3 or so you don't even really see a charger and aggro is an absolute non-issue. 3-5 you see one or two chargers the whole mission and too many enemies is solved by throwing a strategem at it.

This was my experience around the game’s launch, but I’ve been playing lower difficulty missions with some friends who just got the game and we had five chargers show up to an objective on difficulty 4. It was wild.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I keep looking at the deep rock galactic, darktide, and helldivers 2 numbers.

Specifically their peaks.

And all I can say is that being friendly towards players or a less aggressive monetization has little impact. It is more about your IP or being IP adjacent to something.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

DRG has had an unusually long tail though. Last year, the 6th year the game had been out, they sold 2.5 million copies, up from 2.3 mil the year before.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZeusCannon posted:

Its nice that the pelican provides fire support while dropping off the mech. I didnt expect that.

Also it killed me. But i did expect that

If you call in two mechs too close to each other, the two pelicans can and will accidentally blow up the mechs on the way down.

gently caress you, Pelican 1.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
What the gently caress, this game has mechs?

This game has a tech tree!?!?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Third World Reagan posted:

I keep looking at the deep rock galactic, darktide, and helldivers 2 numbers.

Specifically their peaks.

And all I can say is that being friendly towards players or a less aggressive monetization has little impact. It is more about your IP or being IP adjacent to something.

Helldivers is a cool IP, and Helldivers 2 is a great expansion on the original, which was highly popular in the ever-accessible console market.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

ZeusCannon posted:

Pre-nerfed, you mean. Once again the developers have insulted the community and pre-ruined the fun of some of us who prefer to kill thousands of enemies instantly as they spawn without having to aim

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

Pre-nerfed, you mean. Once again the developers have insulted the community and pre-ruined the fun of some of us who prefer to kill thousands of enemies instantly as they spawn without having to aim

You just described shooting a flamethrower at a bug breach.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

my quest for super samples continues and i am stil lat only 6 after so many missions lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

my quest for super samples continues and i am stil lat only 6 after so many missions lol

I have 0. Not a single person on my team, including myself, can find them. We are blind and stupid. We keep looking, too, that's the sad part. We run our clock and respawns down to the lowest we can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I have 0. Not a single person on my team, including myself, can find them. We are blind and stupid. We keep looking, too, that's the sad part. We run our clock and respawns down to the lowest we can.

difficulty 7-9 missions, look for a rock that looks kinda like a buttplug, flared base and all