Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FireWorksWell posted:

Does that affect the battery life at all?

Not really. The Deck already manages being docked by running straight off passthrough and the battery will naturally discharge to 90% so it doesn't stay full, among other things. The OS handles it all, you don't need to janitor your battery. If anything, leaving it docked is better overall because it'll just not use the battery at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not really. The Deck already manages being docked by running straight off passthrough and the battery will naturally discharge to 90% so it doesn't stay full, among other things. The OS handles it all, you don't need to janitor your battery.

Dramicus posted:

I'm not a battery expert, so perhaps someone else can chime in, but from what I understand modern batteries are not affected by staying charged. They experience wear by being cycled, as in charged -> discharged -> charged. Having said that, you probably shouldn't worry and just use your deck however you please. Its far more likely that Steam deck 2 or 3 will be released by the time the battery fails on your OG deck.

That's great to know, thank you! I've been hesitant to get a dock for that and because of the hefty cost, but I know I'd play my Deck more often if it were hooked up to a TV.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you want a portable gaming system 100% get a deck. They’re awesome.

If you want to dock it the majority of the time just buy a PlayStation or build a cheap gaming pc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you want to dock it the majority of the time just buy a PlayStation or build a cheap gaming pc.

See, I'm kind of considering getting a dock because while I'm 100% fine with playing handheld, sometimes I wanna do it on the big tv.

Outside of extreme examples, I do not give a single gently caress about resolution. Framerate, sure, but if I'm playing something at 1280x800 on my 65" tv, :shrug:

I used to play and love the poo poo out of Chopper Commando. Still love that game. What's 4k? :shobon:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I thought along these lines as well, until I took my deck overseas for a couple months. It was shockingly good at being a portable PS4. I docked it and connected to whatever TVs were around in hotel rooms and stuff and 800p still looks shockingly good on large TVs. I was expecting it too look like garbage, but I legit couldn't tell that Resident evil village wasn't running at native.

As long as you temper your expectations, the deck is just as good docked as a switch is, if not better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The weekly cost of in-patient Balatro rehab.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

See, I'm kind of considering getting a dock because while I'm 100% fine with playing handheld, sometimes I wanna do it on the big tv.

Outside of extreme examples, I do not give a single gently caress about resolution. Framerate, sure, but if I'm playing something at 1280x800 on my 65" tv, :shrug:

I used to play and love the poo poo out of Chopper Commando. Still love that game. What's 4k? :shobon:

There's a difference between playing a game at 800p on a 7in screen, and playing it on a 65in screen.

You do you, but the latter seems like it'd look atrocious.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Is there any degradation of performance on steam games if I replace SteamOS with Windows rather than dual booting? I just built a launchbox pc and I prefer it so much more than the linux desktop experience on the deck that I'm willing to just sacrifice the steamdeck frontend as well.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if you can imagine playing your switch docked but can't imagine playing a steam deck docked, you hosed up your math somewhere

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

D O R K Y posted:

Is there any degradation of performance on steam games if I replace SteamOS with Windows rather than dual booting?

Yes. And very very much so on battery life.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

D O R K Y posted:

Is there any degradation of performance on steam games if I replace SteamOS with Windows rather than dual booting? I just built a launchbox pc and I prefer it so much more than the linux desktop experience on the deck that I'm willing to just sacrifice the steamdeck frontend as well.

Why not just use Launchbox on Linux?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

There's a difference between playing a game at 800p on a 7in screen, and playing it on a 65in screen.

You do you, but the latter seems like it'd look atrocious.

I've done it, it's fine. Especially if you can only afford 1 system, Steam deck does a wonderful job at both.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Medullah posted:

Why not just use Launchbox on Linux?

Unlock more of my library + be able to tweak stuff by window switching rather than rebooting. But it sounds like it won't be 1:1 so I ain't gonna do that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if you can imagine playing your switch docked but can't imagine playing a steam deck docked, you hosed up your math somewhere

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I have a lot of problems playing in docked mode.

For one, performance across the device seems to fall off a cliff the minute you raise the resolution of the system even slightly. I suspect I’m hitting bugs or something but setting the thing to native 4K is a stutterfest. The Steam Deck doesn’t have a great UI performance level even at native res, and oh boy it gets worse. That reflects in the games - even if I’m still running a game at 720p, it runs worse docked even when I set the res of the Deck to 1080p. (No, I’m not letting the Deck go to 30hz mode, though that was an issue previously.)

For two, every controller I try has awful bugs or awful latency. Xbox controllers universally add 100+ milliseconds of latency, while the PS4 controller is better but it’ll freak out every five minutes and my character will start spinning around. Even when I hook them up wired to the dock, it’s still bad.

I suspect some or all of these issues would be better on the OLED than my LCD model, given the better Bluetooth chip and the faster RAM. It’s disappointing because sometimes I don’t want to bother turning on my PC just to keep playing an indie I’ve got on the deck.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Ah yes, the switch that also suffers the exact same issue of "struggles with demanding games" docked (or handheld lol).

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Suburban Dad posted:

Ah yes, the switch that also suffers the exact same issue of "struggles with demanding games" docked (or handheld lol).

Exactly. Even Nintendo games rarely hit a properly 1080p, and that’s usually without anti-aliasing. Somehow I survived Tears of the Kingdom’s dynamic 720-900p, without anti-aliasing, and with FSR1 + sharpening. It’s like they’re trying to make the system look as bad as possible.

Steam Deck can easily do better. I fired up Yakuza: Like a Dragon while visiting family and happily played on a TV at around 900p 30fps with FSR1 upscaling. It was a rough image, but from across a living room it was perfectly suitable. Anything lighter than that should be solid at 1080p or maybe even 1440p.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

I mean this in the least snarky way possible, but please tell us which handheld provides a better docked experience than the Steam Deck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the Nintendo switch

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the only advantage the docked switch has is that there's lots of PC games that don't do as well limited to 30fps as Switch games that are made with 30fps in mind do

I dunno if it's like a vsync problem or a frame pacing problem or what, but lots of 30fps limited steam deck games are choppy as hell, whereas console 30fps is usually smoother

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the Nintendo switch

I'd say this is probably true from a pure user experience angle, but the deck's flexibility and generally better performance pushes it higher. You can't plug in a mouse and keyboard and play command & conquer on your switch.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Quantum of Phallus: a noun, a verb, Nintendo Switch

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I love the Steam Deck and I’ve had great docked experiences with it, but compared to the Switch it’s pretty lovely. There’s a lot of stuff lacking here. I wish I could toggle different TDP and resolution settings globally based on docked/undocked, or the display resolution. Plus all of the bugs I mentioned here.

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I have a lot of problems playing in docked mode.

For one, performance across the device seems to fall off a cliff the minute you raise the resolution of the system even slightly. I suspect I’m hitting bugs or something but setting the thing to native 4K is a stutterfest. The Steam Deck doesn’t have a great UI performance level even at native res, and oh boy it gets worse. That reflects in the games - even if I’m still running a game at 720p, it runs worse docked even when I set the res of the Deck to 1080p. (No, I’m not letting the Deck go to 30hz mode, though that was an issue previously.)

For two, every controller I try has awful bugs or awful latency. Xbox controllers universally add 100+ milliseconds of latency, while the PS4 controller is better but it’ll freak out every five minutes and my character will start spinning around. Even when I hook them up wired to the dock, it’s still bad.

I suspect some or all of these issues would be better on the OLED than my LCD model, given the better Bluetooth chip and the faster RAM. It’s disappointing because sometimes I don’t want to bother turning on my PC just to keep playing an indie I’ve got on the deck.

OK I tried docked again. I’m motivated to get it working better.

The controller input lag was okay after I plugged in an Xbox Series controller with a long cable. I guess I’ll just use that.

The lag and performance at 4K is probably because FSR was on. If you turn FSR off, it works alright. I was able to navigate the UI and play ten minutes of Dead Space 2008 at 1440p or so, locked 60. The second I turned on FSR, though, it dropped like a stone to 30 and input lag went way up.

However, I was reminded of another issue. The Steam Deck will randomly decide to just completely gently caress up its colors when outputting to a TV. I’ve seen it NOT do this regardless of settings, so I don’t know what to stop it. But the contrast is awful, the colors look hyper blown out, like a Samsung phone amplified to the worst primary color saturation imaginable. It’s not my TV, it’s not HDR, it has nothing to do with any display settings, and I’m using the official dock.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

OK I tried docked again. I’m motivated to get it working better.

The controller input lag was okay after I plugged in an Xbox Series controller with a long cable. I guess I’ll just use that.

The lag and performance at 4K is probably because FSR was on. If you turn FSR off, it works alright. I was able to navigate the UI and play ten minutes of Dead Space 2008 at 1440p or so, locked 60. The second I turned on FSR, though, it dropped like a stone to 30 and input lag went way up.

However, I was reminded of another issue. The Steam Deck will randomly decide to just completely gently caress up its colors when outputting to a TV. I’ve seen it NOT do this regardless of settings, so I don’t know what to stop it. But the contrast is awful, the colors look hyper blown out, like a Samsung phone amplified to the worst primary color saturation imaginable. It’s not my TV, it’s not HDR, it has nothing to do with any display settings, and I’m using the official dock.

I don't want to do a "it works on my machine" post, but the fault is either 1) your tv doing something weird/non-standard 2) some configuration you've changed on your steam deck. I've plugged my deck & dock into tv's in like 5 different countries and have never run into this kind of problem. My deck is also entirely stock and a launch-day model.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah sounds like a bad tv input lag issue. I use an Xbox controller wirelessly with mine all the time and it’s perfect.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYNuPdMD3Ic

I've owned a ton of OLED devices, never experienced an issue with burn-in, and generally feel the issue is overblown. Tests like this are not reflective of real world usage

That said I'll admit I'm a bit concerned about the OLEDs on the Deck fading unevenly in the long run - specifically because it's a 16:10 screen and a majority of the games I play on it only support 16:9. Seems inevitable that the small strips on the top and the bottom will eventually be brighter than the rest due to getting less active use.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

secret volcano lair posted:

I've owned a ton of OLED devices, never experienced an issue with burn-in, and generally feel the issue is overblown. Tests like this are not reflective of real world usage

I've had burn in on several OLED devices, but they were from the 2018-ish era (Galaxy note 9, and such). Those had pretty noticable burn in from normal use, the navigation buttons and status bar all burned in after a year or so.

However, more recent devices like the Pixel 6 have not burned in. So, to me at least, it was a real issue with earlier generations but is much reduced now. Probably to the point of not having to worry about it anymore.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm not sure I understand the Deck's inability to run smoothly at 4K being called a weakness or criticism, docked or otherwise.

The Switch can't do that either, because neither device's hardware was even intended for that. At least the Deck lets you mess with the settings.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What they need to do is create a Deck 3.0 that is a lot more powerful when docked. Maybe just get rid of the screen entirely? And since it's going to be docked anyway might as well get rid of the battery and just leave it plugged in all the time.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Dramicus posted:

I don't want to do a "it works on my machine" post, but the fault is either 1) your tv doing something weird/non-standard 2) some configuration you've changed on your steam deck. I've plugged my deck & dock into tv's in like 5 different countries and have never run into this kind of problem. My deck is also entirely stock and a launch-day model.

I tried it some more. Looks like the Deck tells the TV that it’s running at limited RGB, but it’s actually full RGB. I got it to stop being a little poo poo and look correct after forcing my TV to “full” mode regardless of what it’s told via the HDMI signal.

Re 4K: The issue is not playing games at 4K rendering resolution, but rather setting the Deck to any resolution north of 720p causes lag and stuttery UI performance. I would expect the Deck to handle a docked 1080p without sweating, and yet it can’t really even do that without awful input lag and a much worse UI experience. I just don’t think the SteamOS interface and system experience scales well on the Deck’s SOC. This is especially true if you’re playing a modern game that the Deck struggles with.

That being said I did just try Hellblade and it looks pretty great at 1620p with FSR2 Balanced, Medium settings. That kicks the poo poo out of the blurry Switch port. Trade offs abound.

Hardcastlemccormik fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 9, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I
Re 4K: The issue is not playing games at 4K rendering resolution, but rather setting the Deck to any resolution north of 720p causes lag and stuttery UI performance. I would expect the Deck to handle a docked 1080p without sweating, and yet it can’t really even do that without awful input lag and a much worse UI experience.

Are you SURE you don’t have TDP limiting on

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I did this once, forgot to set a profile for a particular game and ended up setting the whole system to 4 watts for a couple days.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Yes of course. And what I’m saying is not controversial, Digital Foundry noted this in their video on docked play on a Deck. The thing stutters and chugs even just in system UI and it gets worse the higher you go. Isn’t the SteamOS UI built with a web-based front end anyway? I can’t say it shocks me.

I wish it was better, but at least this morning alone I managed to massage out my major issues, so consider me happy enough.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dramicus posted:

I mean this in the least snarky way possible, but please tell us which handheld provides a better docked experience than the Steam Deck.

It's already been answered that the switch is a better console experience. Because it's a console.

My original replies were in response to a guy looking to get a more powerful switch. The deck is technically but he wanted to hook up to a dock and play on TV. I'm only suggesting the other consoles (not the switch) would be a better experience for TV gaming that are more powerful.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Vegastar posted:

I still use my dock but 95% of the time it’s to stream something from my PC through Moonlight. The Deck upscaler just is not up to the task beyond that little 800p screen most of the time and I’m okay with that.

One of the interesting things about the Deck to me is how many different use cases it seems to satisfy. Like for example I play my deck 99% of the time in handheld mode, using the controller sticks as the primary controls. My friend is the opposite, mostly playing games that require the touchpads. We both love the device. Conventional wisdom would be that trying to do too many things will result in doing none of them well, but the Deck seems to benefit from its flexibility.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Anyone who wants a plug and play solution is probably out of luck. But it’s so much better than rebuying your games on Switch if you want a hybrid solution. And those Switch ports are usually pretty bad on a TV, even the miracle ports like Doom Eternal.

I just fired up Dishonoured. A game that’s not on Switch at all, and on PS/Xbox it runs at 1080p/30. Steam Deck beats that on every front. The deeper configuration is a strength for sure.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeh I love my switch as a handheld but even at launch thought it looked pretty gross blown up on a modern TV. If you can tolerate that then docking a steam deck should be fine but I wouldn't use a console in a way that plays to its biggest weakness

For docked just get a proper PC or console unless you don't mind going back two generations in terms of visual quality. It looks worse than you remember imo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That said I'll admit I'm a bit concerned about the OLEDs on the Deck fading unevenly in the long run - specifically because it's a 16:10 screen and a majority of the games I play on it only support 16:9. Seems inevitable that the small strips on the top and the bottom will eventually be brighter than the rest due to getting less active use.

My 2017 LG OLED TV avoided burn in but developed a giant green blob in the middle of the screen this year because the pixels started dying. I never ran it at full brightness, either.

Hopefully they’ve addressed that in newer ones because that’s not great.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I definitely had issues with the deck not being able to properly drive the UI at 4k when I first got my dock, but at some point there was either an update or a setting I changed and it got significantly better. The setting to auto detect the TV resolution frequently caused issues so I just set it to output 4k60.

As a general tip: if you have the option, make sure you go into your TV settings and designate the HDMI input the dock's plugged into as a PC. A lot of TVs have this on top of "game mode" to strip out the post processing nonsense and it can help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tests like this are not reflective of real world usage

Yeah IMO it’s a pretty worthless test.

A possible real world test would be leaving the image on for 8 hours then the screen off for 6 the do it again to see if there is possible burn in.