Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which ketchup is best
Spanktchup
Squeezetchup
Goku-tchup?
View Results

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I tried to teach it to sup by holding a fish by the tail, lower it into its mouth, and then pull out the skeleton but it doesn't seem to like cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

500excf type r posted:

It's not general sauces, it's about catsups!!!!

Not anymore, buddy

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

...! posted:

Not anymore, buddy

:hmmyes:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Smugworth posted:

Now this is a "general sauces" megathread? What the hell happened Grey Cat

Didn't give me buttons and the mods are slacking.

Looking into it. :ohdear:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The uneducated masses are under the belief that various types of catsups are actually "general sauces" because all they know is Hunt's Tomato kerchap

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

500excf type r posted:

It's not general sauces, it's about catsups!!!!

I'm not seeing any catsup ITT, where's the fermented fish guts and soy?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Klyith posted:

The describes a lot of worcestershire sauce, but not the best one, lea & perrins.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Smugworth posted:

What do we think about mushroom catsup?

Klyith posted:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Grey Cat posted:

The describes a lot of worcestershire sauce, but not the best one, lea & perrins.

I love me some L&P but that little flow control insert in the top of the bottle makes it real hard to get a good chug going.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I love me some L&P but that little flow control insert in the top of the bottle makes it real hard to get a good chug going.

It pops out pretty easily with fingernail, I remove it toward the end of the bottle to get the remaining juice out. Alternatively you could stick a silly straw into the insert.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Can't say I've ever seen a successful Megathread fall to pieces like this. Very shameful. Good luck Grey Cat, I did my best to mentor you, but the thread will have to survive on your own merit and stewardship now.

Rip catsup Megathread

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Smugworth mixes ketchup packets together he finds under tables from various fast food chains and calls himself a connoisseur.

E: The thread has miraculously transcended beyond the boundaries of catsup bottles and catsup in general.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
A1, yellow mustard, and el yucateco red, mixed together. Goes good on burgs.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Nigmaetcetera posted:

A1, yellow mustard, and el yucateco red, mixed together. Goes good on burgs.

I love A1 to a point I could probably drink it. So I'd give this mix a go on a burger.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Pretty lukewarm take; if you have to use sauce you are eating garbage food

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A1 Sauce on Veggie burgers.

Next level thinking.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Justin Credible posted:

Pretty lukewarm take; if you have to use sauce you are eating garbage food

Get a load of the goon who eats spaghetti in one bite then goes to their second bowl to eat the sauce.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

A nice swig off the bottle of L&P is a treat

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

Get a load of the goon who eats spaghetti in one bite then goes to their second bowl to eat the sauce.

*Nods sagely from the shadows* She's doing it..

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Well, yes, but also, I consider things like pasta 'sauce' and bases for things like Indian cooking different from the kind of sauce being discussed here with ketchups and steak sauces etc etc etc etc. I think the nomenclature and connotation of 'sauce' is distinct enough between those two things they should be separated

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

The best sauce on food is easily the digestive enzymes I secrete from my salivary glands. I put that poo poo on everything.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I had an A1 sauce obsession when I was a kid. I've been a vegetarian since I was like 4 so it wasn't for steak. A1 was the only thing that I would put on mashed potatoes. My parents made mashed potatoes a lot. I went through a lot of A1.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What is best in sauce?

To crush your tomatoes, see them simmering before you, and to hear the sizzling of the garlic.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Catastrophe posted:

I had an A1 sauce obsession when I was a kid. I've been a vegetarian since I was like 4 so it wasn't for steak. A1 was the only thing that I would put on mashed potatoes. My parents made mashed potatoes a lot. I went through a lot of A1.

A1 Vegetarian Gang!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Justin Credible posted:

Well, yes, but also, I consider things like pasta 'sauce' and bases for things like Indian cooking different from the kind of sauce being discussed here with ketchups and steak sauces etc etc etc etc. I think the nomenclature and connotation of 'sauce' is distinct enough between those two things they should be separated

I like a plain meat on a plain bread.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Grey Cat posted:

I like a plain meat on a plain bread.

Is this what you consider 'cooking'???

I just make hot ham water it's all I can manage without burning the kitchen down apparently i am goon

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I like Heinz ketchup with my medium rare steak and lots of it.

I like to take a slice of garlic bread, dunk some pieces of steak in ketchup, then make a lil open faced sandwich

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Wendigee posted:

I like to take a slice of garlic bread, dunk some pieces of steak in ketchup, then make a lil open faced sandwich

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wendigee posted:

Paging fancy cooking guy

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
My roommate once got me to try some kefir. I did not like it at all as a beverage but I have since found that making a sauce from it is pretty dang good if I do say so my self

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
sauce it up

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
espagnole is probably my favorite mother sauce to work with overall, but hollandaise also has its charms and it's a crime that it has been relegated to the occasional brunch use

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Justin Credible posted:

Is this what you consider 'cooking'???

I just make hot ham water it's all I can manage without burning the kitchen down apparently i am goon

No I was mocking the no sauce on food take. Of course I don't eat plain meat on a plain bread, I'm civilized and put tasty toppings and sauces in it.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

Paging fancy cooking guy

nothing technically wrong with ketchup on steak. all those flavors work quite well together. only reason people look down on it is because ketchup is the common man’s sauce

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

espagnole is probably my favorite mother sauce to work with overall, but hollandaise also has its charms and it's a crime that it has been relegated to the occasional brunch use

espagnole was Constantinople
Now it's espagnole, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople

no_effort.jpg

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

nothing technically wrong with ketchup on steak. all those flavors work quite well together. only reason people look down on it is because ketchup is the common man’s sauce

The class war knows no boundaries

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Chili sauce is the best catsup for all occasions and I will fight the world about it if need be.
Only comes in glass bottles, tho.

Chili sauce is for the sweet and sour meatballs.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The best sauce by far is honey mustard, but ONLY if the ratio of honey to mustard is correct. This is a seemingly insurmountable obstacle for quite a few manufacturers. Most are either too heavy on the honey and too light on the mustard, or too heavy on the mustard and too light on the honey

MAKE IT RIGHT, GODDAMMIT :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

...! posted:

The best sauce by far is honey mustard, but ONLY if the ratio of honey to mustard is correct. This is a seemingly insurmountable obstacle for quite a few manufacturers. Most are either too heavy on the honey and too light on the mustard, or too heavy on the mustard and too light on the honey

MAKE IT RIGHT, GODDAMMIT :mad:

Honestly yeah, I don't know why it's hard to get right but buying premade fry sauce is like that too, 99% of the time the ratios suck. I ended up giving up the search for a store bought fry sauce and just make it at home instead to get the mixtures and seasonings just right.