Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It could be any or all three of those things- concealing his true plans / motives is his most defining practice.

This is heavy book spoilers and maybe just my interpretation, but totally in line with this It is kinda all of those things, but ultimately underneath everything, toranaga needs one friend and that is basically where he begins to cultivate blackthorne for that role in his own hosed up way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

YaketySass posted:

Jarvis looking/acting a bit strange fits. From everyone else's POV Blackthorne's the weirdo, and he's learning to use that to his advantage in a more calculated and theatrical way.

As for making him dive over and over I don't know if it was to remind him that Toranaga could gently caress with him with impunity (I think Blackthorne got the message with the piracy accusation), or because he's a perfectionist who wants to learn as much as he could from observation first. Or maybe it's ego and he wanted to tire Blackthorne first before the contest.

I just read this part and it’s the perfectionist thing. Toranaga trains all his men in swimming, something not many others do, but they literally don’t know how to dive. He’s just trying to learn and in the book the first 2 times he does it he bellyflops hard and then quickly gets it. The race scene is not in the book.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

This is heavy book spoilers and maybe just my interpretation, but totally in line with this It is kinda all of those things, but ultimately underneath everything, toranaga needs one friend and that is basically where he begins to cultivate blackthorne for that role in his own hosed up way

Not if I win

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It is, I only have the book on audible else I'd paste the passage from the book.

I wonder if Cosmo didn't listen to the audio book in prep for the role. His affected accent is pretty much exactly like the one the narrator used in it.

I noticed this as well and it really helps me get behind this rendition of Blackthorne. Show rules.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Blackthorne is actually the only casting choice i'm still on the fence about. His weird way of walking is distracting to me. He's always hulking around and making weird acting choices. I mean, it's not the worst but meh

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think I've talked myself into liking this blackthorne precisely because he is being more of a hulking obviously flawed weirdo than playing it as a straightforward hero. It's one of the key things foregrounding all the non blackthorne characters, which is paying dividends so far.

I guess the real test of this direction for the character will be the love story, at the least it'll be interesting to see the attempt

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm liking the interpretation of the character. He is, as someone else stated, a pretty weird dude but that makes total sense for someone who spends years sailing around and not interacting with regular people. He's brash and awkward but also quick thinking. Perfect qualities for a young pilot to have.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
I think he's also suffering from scurvy, rickets and other nasty poo poo. everyone else on the boat was near dead and it's been maybe a week.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
IMO the hulking out thing is because he's not used to walking around in a kimono/hakata. When he first puts on japanese clothing you can see him shuffling because he cant figure out how to get his legs to spread

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm liking the interpretation of the character. He is, as someone else stated, a pretty weird dude but that makes total sense for someone who spends years sailing around and not interacting with regular people. He's brash and awkward but also quick thinking. Perfect qualities for a young pilot to have.

Yeah dude left behind his wife and child to pilot what was effectively a suicide mission. Dude is pretty weird just to get there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You guys are winning me over

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

He never wore a kimono before they started filming. That's why he's awkward!

(I made that up but it would rule if it were true)

But agreed with everyone on he's weird as hell and the book does a good job at explaining that his whole fuckin world is turned upside down in the story. Dude knows how to pilot boats and hate Catholics. He hates baths because they make you sick! What a fuckin weirdo :swoon:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
no toranaga bellyflop 0/10

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I don't know what show you were watching but he absolutely DID loving frog it right into the water.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Toranaga flopping into the water, poised and majestic, was great lmao

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shishkahuben posted:

Toranaga flopping into the water, poised and majestic, was great lmao

Yeah, that's probably why Sanada was wearing like four bathrobes in that scene. That looked like it hurt like a bitch and he just went for it with no hesitation.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not gonna lie, I thought about how much time the actors had to spend all day filming on that boat with Cosmo in that weenie sarong and everyone just like, trying not to look down for 8 hours of filming

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Eau de MacGowan posted:

uhh, I mean it wasn't a catastrophic "I just poo poo myself / died" bellyflop but he most certainly did gently caress up the dive- he landed at about a 45 degree angle on the water and I even audibly said "ouch" watching it lol

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't know what show you were watching but he absolutely DID loving frog it right into the water.

Ya, but the dive we saw was comparable to like his third attempt in the book. His first two are described as just massive belly flops.

boo boo bear posted:

I think he's also suffering from scurvy, rickets and other nasty poo poo. everyone else on the boat was near dead and it's been maybe a week.

Yeah it actually seems like an ok choice given how compressed the timeline is. By episode 3 it’s been like a week, but in the book it’s more like a month. It would be a little odd for him to be relatively civilized by now, just going off what they’ve shown. Dudes has a lot of massages and baths by now in the book lol. I bet he civilizes and comes off less desperate and goblin like starting with the next episode.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bring on the version where he maintains his current goblin level and still weirdly hits it off with mariko somehow I say. Catch her in bed with a goblin

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

uhh, I mean it wasn't a catastrophic "I just poo poo myself / died" bellyflop

this is the bellyflop content i crave, anything less is just woke pandering

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

boo boo bear posted:

He's also like 87 in 1600 lifespan

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Bring on the version where he maintains his current goblin level and still weirdly hits it off with mariko somehow I say. Catch her in bed with a goblin

:sickos:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

There is precedent

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On The Internet posted:

He never wore a kimono before they started filming. That's why he's awkward!

(I made that up but it would rule if it were true)

But agreed with everyone on he's weird as hell and the book does a good job at explaining that his whole fuckin world is turned upside down in the story. Dude knows how to pilot boats and hate Catholics. He hates baths because they make you sick! What a fuckin weirdo :swoon:

One of the bits I love in the books is a bit where Blackthorne is warmly remembering when it got cold in England and he'd just lie down on the floor and cuddle with his dogs to stay warm, and imagining the horror the Japanese characters would have if he told them that. :3:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The cool thing about the book is initially you're super invested in Blackthorne, but as it goes on it's like "who cares about that guy, what's going on with Toranaga?" I hope the show follows the same pattern. The ending is super satisfying and if the show pulls it off even a little bit they'll win every Emmy

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Maybe I'm a sucker for Fish Out of Water stories, but I completely loved Blackthorne's reaction during the Osaka escape when he recognized his crew from the trip there. I think it might have been the first time when we see that he's actually happy to see someone. And then when he took them bastards right through the blockade? *chefs kiss*
Filled me with glee.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's not his crew though, right? It was a group he had like one previous sailing encounter with?

Because his actual crew is still out there somewhere. Covered in filth

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I believe it's the crew from the first episode, the one where he pilots them out of the storm, essentially saving all their lives. So they must be pretty grateful.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, it was the crew he sailed to Osaka with under Rodriguez, but they've good reason to like him and want to help him since he saved all their lives taking control of the boat when Rodriguez was knocked overboard.

His actual crew are still being held at the village where he first washed up ashore, and that (I think) is where they're heading now so he can start training Yabu and the others fighting tactics that he doesn't actually have any idea about.

Edit: yep, as above!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 11, 2024

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

IMO the hulking out thing is because he's not used to walking around in a kimono/hakata. When he first puts on japanese clothing you can see him shuffling because he cant figure out how to get his legs to spread

Yeah dude left behind his wife and child to pilot what was effectively a suicide mission. Dude is pretty weird just to get there.

I only know what I know of the novel because of History of Japan (Mike Duncan) podcast's ancient "Shogun" the novel review, but in the book Blackthorne had no kids nor wife, whereas the real person he's more or less loosely based on did? Interesting change, if accurate.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 9, 2024

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it was the crew he sailed to Osaka with under Rodriguez, but they've good reason to like him and want to help him since he saved all their lives taking control of the boat when Rodrigues was knocked overboard.

His actual crew are still being held at the village where he first washed up ashore, and that (I think) is where they're heading now so he can start training Yabu and the others fighting tactics that he doesn't actually have any idea about.

Edit: yep, as above!

Possibly. They might have been moved to Yedo (Tokyo) by now I think. They are still filthy though but only because that’s how they lived in Europe. Baths will kill you, drafts kill you, sewage is thrown into the streets.

Dessel posted:

I only know what I know of the novel because of History of Japan (Mike Duncan) podcast's ancient "Shogun" the novel review, but in the book Blackthorne had no kids nor wife, whereas the real person he's more or less loosely based on did? Interesting change, if accurate.

I’m very confused. This isn’t true, he thinks of them often, usually trying to not think about them until he feels safe at sea and heading home.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah it doesn't sound right to me, I was pretty confident both novel blackthorne and william adams had a wife and kids in england

I mean wikipedia backs it up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(pilot)

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 9, 2024

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Then the podcast was just downright wrong wrt the novel. History and the real person was accurate though as he said and I checked the wiki of course.

edit: How about the other adaptation? Maybe I'm missremembering and he referred to that one instead.

edit2: Nah he was just downright wrong in his episode judging by the comments on https://isaacmeyer.net/2013/11/episode-30-a-review-of-shogun/ Good to know.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 9, 2024

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Dessel posted:

Then the podcast was just downright wrong wrt the novel. History and the real person was accurate though as he said and I checked the wiki of course.

edit: How about the other adaptation? Maybe I'm missremembering and he referred to that one instead.

edit2: Nah he was just downright wrong in his episode judging by the comments on https://isaacmeyer.net/2013/11/episode-30-a-review-of-shogun/ Good to know.

No worries! It’s a 1200 page tome and I’m only relatively sure of myself because I’m reading it again right now.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah Blackthorne thinks about his wife and kids in, like, the second chapter of the book.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah Blackthorne thinks about his wife and kids in, like, the second chapter of the book.

Later on, he gets disgusted thinking of how dirty they were when they hosed, having experienced Japanese clean, and wonders if he could ever convince her to get clean!

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

kiimo posted:

That's not his crew though, right? It was a group he had like one previous sailing encounter with?

Because his actual crew is still out there somewhere. Covered in filth

Yep! Sorry I should have been more clear on which 'crew'😅. But yeah, I meant his excitement in seeing the Japanese crew he sailed to Osaka with.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Mariko seems to get over the death of her husband pretty quickly.

"Oh no, my rear end in a top hat husband died just after being a dick to my son. How shall I survive this."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

And of loving course he named his kids Tudor and Lisbeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Enderzero posted:

Later on, he gets disgusted thinking of how dirty they were when they hosed, having experienced Japanese clean, and wonders if he could ever convince her to get clean!

Re-enactors have shown pretty convincingly (at least to me) that the filth of medieval and early modern Europeans is overblown. We clean ourselves by immersing our bodies in water every day, so when we hear that past Europeans didn't do that, we assume they didn't clean themselves. It's projection. Early modern Europeans did have working noses and were aware of cleaning themselves, but they did it by sponge baths and rubbing their bodies with cloth, which would then be washed.