Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
masking is neither required or encouraged lmao
we sure should do something about long covid though
but not that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
All attendees are expected to follow Vermont Department of Health guidance, which comes with a free 2 for 1 apps coupon to Applebee's.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

A Bag of Milk posted:

unusually mild snowpack leading to extremely mild access to freshwater

Studies show the highest usage of freshwater at home, therefore we are recommending municipalities cut off residential service and focus on delivering to hotels and restaurants, where the water can be used safely.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
If this were in the South I'd be kind of concerned, but Vermont is a Democrat stronghold consisting of sophisticated, vaccinated types. Vaccinated people do not carry the virus.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

That FRED data is apparentl just normalizing the BLS CPS self-attested disability rates. The absolute numbers even looking at the total (not just employed) working-age population show the same hockey-stick graph shape starting around early-2021:

Essentially ~1.5 million additional working age people self-reporting significant disability, about ~0.5-0.75% of the total working age population. Working age women in the labor force with disability alone increased by roughly ~1 million.

I check this dataset every once in a while to see any sign of a plateau instead of a steadily increasing rate, nothing obvious yet. That excess retirement data is new and unwelcome though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why Am I So Tired posted:

If this were in the South I'd be kind of concerned, but Vermont is a Democrat stronghold consisting of sophisticated, vaccinated types. Vaccinated people do not carry the virus.

Thinking of the first time I heard relatives say almost exactly this, but using the word "civilized".

re: disability, I posted this in doomsday econ earlier:

An optimist would say COVID is over, while a pessimist might say that's a solid 1% below the pre-pandemic trendline which was heading for record highs of 85% employment (also don't think too hard about the gulf between this figure and the reported ~4% unemployment rate)*.

* yes I know there are stay-at-home parents etc.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Nocturtle posted:

That FRED data is apparentl just normalizing the BLS CPS self-attested disability rates. The absolute numbers even looking at the total (not just employed) working-age population show the same hockey-stick graph shape starting around early-2021:

Essentially ~1.5 million additional working age people self-reporting significant disability, about ~0.5-0.75% of the total working age population. Working age women in the labor force with disability alone increased by roughly ~1 million.

I check this dataset every once in a while to see any sign of a plateau instead of a steadily increasing rate, nothing obvious yet. That excess retirement data is new and unwelcome though.
Seems fine

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Indoor Dying posted:

masking is neither required or encouraged lmao
we sure should do something about long covid though
but not that

There's nothing to do about it if you prevent it

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
We're past the peak. Repeal the ADA.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
If you only look at the last 2 data points in every graph on this page, everything is trending downward, thus very mild.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Kragger99 posted:

If you only look at the last 2 data points in every graph on this page, everything is trending downward, thus very mild.

The funny thing about virtually any graph containing data from rolling updates or an incomplete final interval is they will show what appears to be the beginning of a downward trend. If not, the derivative probably does, etc.

Dishonest people find this property extremely useful.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
The Bernie thing is really doing a nice job of highlighting the death of basic cause and effect thinking skills.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
It really feels like we're trapped in the Mr. Thompson scene in Cape Feare, only it's society wide.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Why Am I So Tired posted:

The Bernie thing is really doing a nice job of highlighting the death of basic cause and effect thinking skills.

I didn’t watch the SOTU, apparently he wore a surgical but not while waiting for it to start:

or after, while making his way through the crowd to basically spit in Biden’s face lmao

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Makes sense they’d end the negative test requirement days before he shared air with hundreds of people, many of whom hate him. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Welp, my younger brother has brought covid back from travel to my parents house for the second time in about 18 months. They've got a box of paxlovid in reserve and a big box of n95, and I doubt they will use either because of blue MAGA brain worms

Hopefully they miraculously don't get infected

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Mar 10, 2024

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also, if this guy is posting this stuff, there's really no hope for a single one of the DSA crowd

https://twitter.com/DougHenwood/status/1766564765868900496

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Also, if this guy is posting this stuff, there's really no hope for a single one of the DSA crowd

I had covid decades ago?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been on the gently caress work train but unfortunately my choices are work or starve to death. Gotta find out how other people unlocked a secret third option.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ah poo poo its class locked at character creation

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Shiroc posted:

I've been on the gently caress work train but unfortunately my choices are work or starve to death. Gotta find out how other people unlocked a secret third option.

Nepo babies cosplaying as baristas quit when Covid made it impossible to see smiles?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

Oof. I remember we had a discussion a couple years back about whether this was ever going to level off. I have always been in camp "assume it won't." I guess I'm not very happy about the outcome.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Shiroc posted:

Ah poo poo its class locked at character creation

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it. Ultimately keeping it very simple & staying vigilant on the flights with the N95s is probably the most effective/realistic option. My mother's a former nurse, so having the pulse oximeters in their luggage in case they feel like poo poo is something she'll definitely be on board with. I plan on giving them a ton of N95 Auras when I see them before they go. They both received the latest boosters available in Australia a few months ago. There's no real "Pirate Paxlovid" here, as it's very gate-kept very tightly here*, so getting some to take with them "just in case", or finding a dodgy supply of it (getting it isn't as easy as the US, I'm afraid, unless some Aussie goons have found a sneaky work-around!). They'll be very limited with weight restrictions, hence why I suggested the very light USB purifiers. I might have better luck persuading them buy a cheap powered desktop size one to have in their cabin just before they leave New York on their cruise and not bother taking it back home, particularly with the cruise AC being a potential issue.

* If you're 65+ plus diagnosed with Covid, you can get it relatively easily, but anyone here under 65, even with horrendously bad symptoms, or in a high risk category, good luck. One of my colleagues' patients aged in their 40s, contracted a nasty Covid case whilst actively going through chemo-therapy (they had a chemo treatment scheduled in a few days when they got it). They were told by their GP and other doctors that she couldn't get Pax as"ummm, actually, just because you're going through chemo right now, doesn't actually mean you're technically immune compromised, so we won't give it out". Fortunately, she managed to grab her oncologist in an emergency call, who wrote her a prescription, then promptly lost his poo poo at the sheer stupidity he was hearing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
friend was able to get free pax through test2treat in CA so I guess that’s still going on

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Good luck. Also FYI spot-treating air right around you with tiny purifiers is not a thing. Suspended particles get around way, way better than that. USB-powered filters and whatnot pointed at the face don't actually help in a hazardous setting. Either more-than-adequately filter a whole room (ideally a whole building), or else save the energy for a measure that's effective.

I'd put a lot more stock in carageenan and CPC than those, for example; the mechanisms of how those two work are clear, and unlike many measures, they actually get followed because it's so easy for squeamish users to forget their presence once they've been applied.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
I wonder if there's some sweet spot of exposure frequency that is "the worst possible". Some point where if you got infected even more often than that, you'd probably still be fresh off the previous infection with the same dominant local strain, your antibodies to that one are still activated, you're not done being sick yet and all it's doing is extending the tail of one sickness semi-protectively that much longer.

Maybe it could explain how so many people who just face-tank crowds without any pauses only seem to get hit once per wave, whenever a wildly different strain hits everyone, while others get who aren't out there so much get unlucky almost monthly.

That would also have implications that if such individuals ever *do* take a pause from crowds, they can expect to be sick right when they resume the usual facetanking, because they finally let their nature's vaccine titers decay.

maxwellhill has issued a correction as of 11:57 on Mar 10, 2024

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cough counter in sleep cycle is starting to get elevated again. Spring break season must be starting.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

icantfindaname posted:

I am not a mathematician but there doesn't seem to be a super strong correlation between waves and excess retirements, rather just an obvious correlation between cumulative covid and retirements...

...but that graph is still crack-pinging me by just showing how much time since January 2020 has been considered a 'wave,' it's like a third of the months since then, and it's not like covid got much better between the waves.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
my sig o fell into relevant work experience for a wfh job pre pandemic, and was recruited for it during, so yeah like other posts address it’s all arbitrary and not accessible or helpful to those who would really benefit. I’m happy we are against the wfh trend towards childless white jerks who squander it by getting sick anyway… we are white jerks but we care for a young child and so far have kept her happy healthy and safe and covid/rsv/flu free

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

It's incredible how we're on our fifth year of this and this is the best politician we have on the matter. He knows N95's are better than surgicals and he knows Long COVID is bad, so sure, why not attend a superspreading event with a surgical in hand as a talisman? Why is everyone so willfully stupid?

lol at that last picture though, if it turns out Bernie's got COVID that one's going in the Covidyceps article

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

As a Doctor, I Don’t Fear Covid as I Once Did. But I Carry Its Grave Lessons Forward.

quote:

By Daniela J. Lamas

Dr. Lamas, a contributing Opinion writer, is a pulmonary and critical-care physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.

Walking through the intensive care unit is often a lesson in how much there is to fear.

Just a few years ago, I walked through these halls thinking constantly of Covid, afraid that I would contract the virus in a patient room or in a conversation with a colleague. The fear was distracting, sometimes all consuming. But now I am no longer afraid that the virus will leave me seriously ill, and the pandemic is a receding memory. Sometimes it is hard for me to believe that it even happened.

Nearly four years after the World Health Organization’s declaration of a pandemic, the coronavirus is still with us. It likely always will be. And it is still resulting in 500 to 1,500 deaths every week as of the last month — higher than the mortality from influenza, though lower compared to previous years. There is also the persistent threat of long Covid, the debilitating symptoms that can persist after an initial infection.

But our response has changed. On March 1, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began recommending that Americans with Covid no longer need to remain isolated for five days after falling sick. Instead, people can return to their regular activities after they have not had a fever for 24 hours, which is the same recommendation for the flu and other respiratory illnesses.

When I pause to think about what happened in this intensive care unit, in the same patient rooms I walk through now, it is remarkable that most of us have managed to return to life as it was before. But that is what we do. We can remain in a state of heightened vigilance for only so long. There is no other choice.

And we are still adapting to a new reality: The virus is endemic. Covid is no longer so different from the seasonal flu and a host of other respiratory viruses, an inconvenience for most of us but a dangerous and potentially mortal threat for some. We have ricocheted in a few short years to acceptance from terror, which leaves us in a strange place: How do the majority of us move on when this virus still poses a threat to a relative few? Can we balance our desire to forget the past few years with the lessons that we, as a country, have learned?

Even having the chance to pose those questions is a step forward we could not have predicted just a few years ago. The threat of this virus was so great that in the early months of the pandemic, our lives stopped. We were afraid to breathe the air. Now, because of vaccinations and prior infections, our immunity is far greater than it was then, and infections are now typically milder. The devastating Covid cases that drove the earlier recommendations regarding longer periods of isolation are far less prevalent.

The nature of Covid infections is not all that has changed. There is also the simple human desire to move past the pandemic years. I know this feeling firsthand. While working in the intensive care unit, I was thrilled to take off my mask this summer when the hospital recommendations allowed me to do so. And more recently, I was irrationally disappointed when my hospital decided we should once again wear masks in patient rooms — even though that is clearly the right thing to do. The truth is that I just want it all to be over.

But as much as I desire everything to be as it once was, it is a challenge for some to get back to equilibrium. I used to imagine that at some point the virus would disappear, and then it would all be over. That isn’t how it happened.

While working in the hospital on a recent shift, I cared for a woman with cancer who had just undergone intensive chemotherapy and then was diagnosed with Covid. Her symptoms rapidly worsened and by the time I met her, she was intubated. As I examined her in my full personal protective equipment, I realized that she was in the same hospital room as the first Covid patient I ever cared for — another woman who had been completely healthy until the virus tore through her.

Back then, I held my breath during my daily physical exam, desperate to leave the room as soon as I could. But now, I took my time. We encouraged my patient’s family to visit. We treated her with steroids and antivirals, medications we now know can save the lives of those with severe Covid. The days of haphazard, fraught treatment of patients separated from those they love for weeks or even longer — they are all a murky memory. We know how to treat this virus. We know how to manage the ventilator. And we know that we can do so while keeping ourselves safe. Even if we get sick, chances are good that we will be OK.

Or so we sometimes think. Just a few doors down in that same unit, I cared for a young woman who had nearly died from a case of influenza. She was on lung bypass for a month. When I met her, she was profoundly delirious and so weak that she could barely move a finger. She was around my age and had been entirely healthy. There was little that separated her from me.

Did her story make me more afraid of the flu? Perhaps it should have, but it did not. This is the story of endemic respiratory illnesses that we see every year. They can be devastating for the immune suppressed, for older people or for the unlucky. That could be any one of us — a fact that before Covid, I was able to ignore.

But it is not so easy to ignore those realities any longer. We all know now what it is to feel vulnerable. Early in the pandemic, people with compromised immune systems noted that they finally felt as though they were not alone — that all of us now understood what it was to be afraid to walk into crowded spaces, least of all without masks. Even as we move into life with endemic Covid and, for most of us, stop masking except for when we are sick, we can remember what this virus taught us. As exhausted as we are by the pandemic and as much as we want to forget it ever happened, we know now that we are all connected. The decisions we make about our health impact those around us and even the smallest actions matter. We have the knowledge and simple tools needed to protect each other.

Just four days after she was intubated, my patient with Covid had improved and it was time to take out the breathing tube. We gathered around her as she coughed and caught her breath, still weak, still delirious, but breathing on her own. Standing at her bedside that day, I thought of that other extubation four years ago now. Back then we were afraid of the particles that could dissipate when we took out the tube, a fear that cast a shadow over even that joyful moment. Now, my patient smiled up at us and I felt myself return the smile under my mask. We are at once in the same place and somewhere entirely new.

I guess grave lessons means keep killing people with your unmasked smiling faces?

Also it's unclear if staff masking is still mandatory everywhere at this hospital (I'm guessing ICU only and that surgicals are ok) but it would be very "funny" if that chemo patient nearly died from hospital-acquired COVID. But no biggie we can pump you full of antivirals and intubate you if it comes to that, fear is for the weak.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Precambrian Video Games posted:

As a Doctor, I Don’t Fear Covid as I Once Did. But I Carry Its Grave Lessons Forward.

I guess grave lessons means keep killing people with your unmasked smiling faces?

For a second I found myself thinking "How does utter garbage like this get published?" and then I remembered.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Between that story and Adjala telling us we should “embrace” the virus, sure feels like a lot of psycho doctors out there.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't fear covid as I once did, because I always wear an N95 mask indoors.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Covid made us empathize with the weak and vulnerable but thankfully we don't have to do that anymore!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Just. Just prevent the infection. No infection, no problem. No intubation. No long term damage. Just loving put a bit of effort in. Stop cutting corners. gently caress.

The bar is so low and it's still a struggle to get medical professionals to clear it.

This is not bragging but I have perfect grades in A&P and microbiology and my classmates keep asking me how I get such good grades and i accidentally said that it's because I don't want to accidently kill someone. Those are the stakes as a healthcare provider, and you don't know what knowledge you have to have that could save your patient so you just learn it all. Good grades come from understanding, not memorizing. And it seems like they had never made the connection between the material and their responsibilities as providers. My professor is the same in a way, fully grill pilled and happy to eat off the floor, or make irrational choices because he has reached "acceptance."

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Mar 10, 2024

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yup, the vibes changed. My story in the NYT

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Precambrian Video Games posted:

quote:

Now, because of vaccinations and prior infections, our immunity is far greater than it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Jesus loving Christ