Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I liked working for my brother in law BC it meant when I had a meltdown I just called him up and told him I was doing that thing his wife does where I can't stop crying for no reason and he said "understood let me know when you're feeling better"' and hung up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I've never had to give a med cert for taking sick leave but I hear NVJ does because he absolutely takes the piss calling in sick as the second shift sous chef at the spanker knob sausage sizzle stand.

ili fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 10, 2024

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
you cant do that
it says 14
yeah but
thats not a vey positive attitude
should have left it cumulative
this is a staffing issue
something about setting an example
lol

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Non Compos Mentis posted:

mental health days should really be enshrined somehow so everyone gets 10 mental health days along with 10 sick days a year

The change from sick leave to personal leave is at least a step in the right direction. It's good being able to take a day of personal leave because brain decides to be fucky.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
My current job doesn't give a poo poo and has never asked for a medical cert.

When I worked in retail they were obsessed with that poo poo though for literally everything. I had a casual call in sick on my team once and one of the higher managers tried to convince me I needed to get him to get a cert or make him come in.
"I've already covered his shift anyway because he gave me heaps of notice. Who gives a gently caress? What are you going to do? Not pay him?"

Absolute psychopaths.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Laserface posted:

I just mean any time someone tells you your idea has obvious holes you get defensive about it. Bike paths is a good example.

Gang of youths haven't been in vogue for a while now. I've seen them live and I would not pay money to see their underwhelming show as part of a festival. They're the kind of band that if seen on a lineup most ppl would actually go "why?"

Cost of living and bands charging huge performance fees to recoup on lower record sales and less margin on merch (venues take a cut, yes, the festivals are and they're among the worst) and cops demanding the festival pay to have them there to gently caress over punters are reasons why. No one can really afford $350 for a ticket to see 5 artists you like over 2 days and there still might be a schedule clash somewhere in there.

Artists absolutely have a right to good money for performances btw. I'm not arguing against that. Stuffing a bill with international headliners is sick until someone has to buy a ticket.

Support your local music scene. It's cheap as hell, the bands are usually fantastic and you get to brag that you saw them play to three people on a Wednesday when they start headlining festivals you can't afford in a few years time.

Bucky is
1)insane
2)insanely dense, and unable to understand the context/real world implications of whatever insane thing he is on about
3)thin skinned and defensive whenever somebody, usually somebody with acyual experience/expertise) points out the hows and whys that his ill thought through idea will fail

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lube Enthusiast posted:

fuckin bing ai wouldn’t create lilith wearing a high-vis workshirt

weird, it works in azure OpenAI studio

edit: I'm pretty sure DALL-E doesn't know who lilith is

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 10, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ErKeL posted:

"I've already covered his shift anyway because he gave me heaps of notice. Who gives a gently caress? What are you going to do? Not pay him?"

Absolutely that's what they wanted.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

ErKeL posted:

Absolute psychopaths.

You wouldn't pay a casual that called in sick anyway.

Casuals don't need sick notes . It's kind of in the definition of the thing that they don't have to give notice to cancel shifts.

Obviously the flipside is that a casual that doesn't show up when rostered too much will just not get rostered on.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Absolutely that's what they wanted.
Casuals don't get paid sick leave :v:

The only reason to Sick Cert casuals is so they can 'justify' being dickbags to them later.
"Oh X missed too many shifts without a Sick cert so they're clearly not sick, less shifts for them."
Or they move the goalposts
"Oh X keeps getting sick so they're not reliable, less shifts for them."

Croccers fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 10, 2024

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
It depends on where you work/whether your manager is a control freak as to whether you need a medical certificate. Where I'm at right now, you get 8 days of sick/carers leave without a medical certificate per year, and 10 with a med cert. But if you take more than 2 consecutive days you need to get a med cert for that. But we also have this thing where if you have a chronic health condition (for example, I get migraines) you can get one med cert that you can use repeatedly for the whole year, so you don't have to use up all your undocumented leave on something that you don't need to go to the doctor for. It works out pretty well.

Compare that to when I worked at Energy Australia and they were loving obsessed with medical certificates. One morning I felt ill once I went to work so I went to the bathroom and threw up. My manager walked in and saw me and told me to go home. Then rang me an hour later and told me I had to go get a medical certificate. Absolutely bullshit, it was satisfying as gently caress telling that manager that I was quitting right before the holidays and leaving her short staffed.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Bucky is
1)insane
2)insanely dense, and unable to understand the context/real world implications of whatever insane thing he is on about
3)thin skinned and defensive whenever somebody, usually somebody with acyual experience/expertise) points out the hows and whys that his ill thought through idea will fail

Can you point to an actual example of any of this please? Trying to be a better person

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
im watching the expanse and this space lady has screw drives tattooed on her face

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I watched that whale fool a bunch of wildlife professionals yesterday
lol
good job

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I have developed an addiction to chicken pot pie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Carlos Lantana posted:

lol
good job

Maybe they saw some footage of some beach bum playing with the photorealistic tactile floppy dork and concluded that no one would go to all the effort to recreate a whale penis to such a crazy level of verisimilitude, and in most cases they'd be completely within reason to assume that. :v:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carlos Lantana posted:

lol
good job

I get take a degree of professional pride out of this, thank you

I believe the the actors hovering around it and doing science-y looking things are key to the illusion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oh hey, I saw that whale yesterday, and yes indeed lots of people lining up to see the dork.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
its going to get burnished like old mate

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

EoinCannon posted:

I made a sculpture and it got installed this morning at Glenelg beach

Yes that's it's lovingly sculpted penis flopped out onto the sand

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-09/beached-whale-replica-at-glenelg-for-adelaide-festival/103568354

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4RZyRHSSY_/

The digital sculpt

Did you model a particular whale? Is that a squid sucker scar on his upper jaw? As with the shark, I love your attention to detail.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
its 2024 surely there is some technology available to stop the drawstring going back into the hole

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's not possible and what if you need a bit of string?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Did you model a particular whale? Is that a squid sucker scar on his upper jaw? As with the shark, I love your attention to detail.

The creative director had several images of sperm whales and I found a bunch more and you kind of identify all the separate features you and the client like out of the images and synthesise them into a model.

Sperm whales vary a fair bit in those large wrinkles running down the flanks and spine, how notched up the tail flukes are, how prominent the eye socket area is etc.

The head and upper jaw are covered in fine linear scars and rough patches from fighting squids, this is an area where individual animals vary drastically so there was back and forth over the specifics.

I did some colour studies as a guide for the painters and you can see all the white scarring

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's not possible and what if you need a bit of string?

these shorts are ruined now, the drawstring is too far gone!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

The creative director had several images of sperm whales and I found a bunch more and you kind of identify all the separate features you and the client like out of the images and synthesise them into a model.

Sperm whales vary a fair bit in those large wrinkles running down the flanks and spine, how notched up the tail flukes are, how prominent the eye socket area is etc.

The head and upper jaw are covered in fine linear scars and rough patches from fighting squids, this is an area where individual animals vary drastically so there was back and forth over the specifics.

I did some colour studies as a guide for the painters and you can see all the white scarring

Printing the Sperm Whale STL to turn it into a bong

Using a bit of cut-off hose for the dork

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

EoinCannon posted:

I made a sculpture and it got installed this morning at Glenelg beach

The digital sculpt

quote:

Adelaide Festival artistic director Ruth Mackenzie said this was the first time the theatre piece had made it to Australia, following appearances in other cities overseas including London, Madrid and Paris.

Do they sculpt a new whale for each new location?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Lolie posted:

I have developed an addiction to chicken pot pie.

He's a ding dong, but Jamie Oliver's recipe for chicken and leek pie is a pretty good one. It's labour intensive but it does make for some real tasty pie: http://peasepuddingandsaveloy.blogspot.com/2014/02/jamies-chicken-and-leek-pie.html

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

Do they sculpt a new whale for each new location?

This is the first one outside of Europe and they didn't want to ship it over so this is a new one. Thankfully they let me interpret the brief and not match the Europe one. This one comes apart and fits in a shopping container so it might be meant for overseas journeys

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bee posted:

He's a ding dong, but Jamie Oliver's recipe for chicken and leek pie is a pretty good one. It's labour intensive but it does make for some real tasty pie: http://peasepuddingandsaveloy.blogspot.com/2014/02/jamies-chicken-and-leek-pie.html

Jamie Oliver was important in transforming the way English people cook, eat and think about cooking and food, and he seems to know his stuff.
But he really is a ding dong.
I tolerate a lot of not great cooking shows but I can't watch him for more than 5 minutes

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bee posted:

My fav Jamie Oliver bit was when he smuggly showed a bunch of young kids how chicken nuggets are made, effectively using all the left over 'unwanted' parts, did a big song and dance over how disgusting the process was, and the kids STILL wanted to eat the chickie nuggies.

The best part is watching him die inside :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-aKqp1kzKg

EoinCannon posted:

Jamie Oliver was important in transforming the way English people cook, eat and think about cooking and food, and he seems to know his stuff.
But he really is a ding dong.
I tolerate a lot of not great cooking shows but I can't watch him for more than 5 minutes

Yeah to be honest when I was living solo he was one of my first ports of call to learn how to not make dogshit meals constantly.

A lot of his work around teaching people how to cook was incredibly noble, but it always came with a slight air of talking down to people.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

EoinCannon posted:

And what's the construction process?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh no not CHICKEN SKIN

Infinitum posted:

My fav Jamie Oliver bit was when he smuggly showed a bunch of young kids how chicken nuggets are made, effectively using all the left over 'unwanted' parts, did a big song and dance over how disgusting the process was, and the kids STILL wanted to eat the chickie nuggies.

The best part is watching him die inside :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-aKqp1kzKg

Yeah to be honest when I was living solo he was one of my first ports of call to learn how to not make dogshit meals constantly.

A lot of his work around teaching people how to cook was incredibly noble, but it always came with a I of talking down to people.

Ahaha a slight air?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

EoinCannon posted:

This is the first one outside of Europe and they didn't want to ship it over so this is a new one. Thankfully they let me interpret the brief and not match the Europe one. This one comes apart and fits in a shopping container so it might be meant for overseas journeys

An old school friend of mine is a signwriter and most of his work is painting fairground rides. I never thought about how much of a huge job that is until I saw the photos of them pulled apart on his FB page.

I like that you give us a little bit of insight into a skill we wouldn't think about otherwise.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I make a 3d model. The data gets fed into a robot arm with a router bit that cuts it out of high density foam, then it's coated and painted. Sometimes the robot arm cuts out the shape in negative and used to create a mould for fibreglass, concrete etc.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Croccers posted:

Oh no not CHICKEN SKIN

Ahaha a slight air?

Nah yeah alright, he's a wanker who thinks he's too good for fast food/homey meals and everyone else should feel bad about eating it.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Bucky Fullminster posted:

wait until a sperm whale carcass washes up on the beach then carve a smaller whale from it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

wait until a sperm whale carcass washes up on the beach then carve a smaller whale from it

Step 1: Explode the whale with TNT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CLumsir34

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Sadly Jamie died choking on his own very thick tongue.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Like I said, he's a ding dong. But he makes a great pie. I also enjoy baking his panettone bread and butter pudding at Xmas every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

EoinCannon posted:

I make a 3d model. The data gets fed into a robot arm with a router bit that cuts it out of high density foam, then it's coated and painted. Sometimes the robot arm cuts out the shape in negative and used to create a mould for fibreglass, concrete etc.

Huh, so kind of like an anti-3D printer? A 3D deleter. Awesome.

Like one of these things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwzwzobO5rs