Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I hated tiktok too until I used it and then I was like oh it gets me, this rules

if the vids it shows you are dumb and bad it's because you're dumb and bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ammanas posted:

if anyone has any tips on how to get the hot girls back because an endless feed of biblical critical analysis + home inspector videos + dialectical materialism + Palestinian suffering only works when thots are sprinkled in there to alleviate the horror

God drat, I have no frame of reference for anything in this post.

I'm...a Boomer?

*Scott Bacula turns to mirror, he's 40 years older and wearing a Ft. Lauderdale shirt*

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Chad Sexington posted:

I hated tiktok too until I used it and then I was like oh it gets me, this rules

Is TikTok not just Vine for Zoomers?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

RIP VINE, had too many black creators when they all should have been addison rae

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I can't remember which poster was doing the shrinkflation roundup but I have a great example today:

five years ago I bought a lovely cutting board on Amazon, and needed a new one, literally used the "buy again" button in my account and

How much microplastics these shed to your food?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That's exactly what it is, floated by China SOE instead of being sent to die bc they couldn't serve enough ads with the format.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

idk about short-form video being bad for your brain (deffo willing to believe it), but how TikToks repeat gives me anxiety, for some reason. if my partner is looking at the comments of one, or even worse making one, i can feel something inside me wind tighter and tighter with each restart

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

if you're dumb and bad, wouldn't you love dumb and bad videos :thunk:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Anyone being online and doing algo poo poo is lame and stupid.

There. I said it. You'll never catch me falling for the siren call of the online world, no siree.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Why install Tiktok when I can just refresh CSPAM doomthreads on my phone and squint at font size 2 poo poo posting all day.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Why install Tiktok when I can just refresh CSPAM doomthreads on my phone and squint at font size 2 poo poo posting all day.

Well yes. But any one posting here or reading a forum are extremely not who the Internet is for. It's a strange accident of history that this place still exists.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

In Training posted:

But any one posting here or reading a forum are extremely not who the Internet is for.
...that's a good way to put it

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

...that's a good way to put it

I'm glad the BBS' of my early web days persist. It's positively horrid to think how I'd have turned out had I been getting online first post-2007 or so.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

start saving money for your Leukemia treatments today!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Another gig economy success story

https://old.reddit.com/r/pittsburgh/comments/1bbcm7r/ongoing_troubles_getting_uberlyfttaxis_from/

quote:

After so many times, I just need to give up on expecting taxis to be at the airport. It doesn't matter if it is late like 11pm and just in the evening at 6pm, it's an ongoing struggle to get a car from the airport at all (for a reasonable price)
UBER and LYFT drivers will cancel if the fare is too low, meaning that it's $100+ to get to the city. The airport information desk said it's an ongoing problem (but they can't help) Was told, regularly, it's $180 to get from airport to town if anything is going on.

This is a 20 minute drive. There's a bus that runs the route regularly for $2.75 but it isn't advertised and apparently the Google Maps app pushes people towards Uber

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

just rent a car from hertz and have them report it stolen to the police ez

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rectal Death Alert posted:

i, too, am pro censorship as long as it's targeting something annoying

censorship is necessary for civilization

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

also it’s funny to oppress

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nonsense posted:

also it’s funny to oppress

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I only trust China to oppress and censor

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I only trust China to oppress and censor

only chairman xi can save us from the neolib parasites

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

probably yeah

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Why aren't you rich enough to already own a car with a driver at every possible airport you might fly to (on your private jet).

If you can't pass that extremely low bar then maybe flying isn't for you.

baja gaijin
Jan 30, 2024

if you're going somewhere without good public transit (which is like, the vast majority of places in this fuckin country) why wouldn't you just have a rental car ready at your destination

based64
Feb 15, 2024

:question:

based64 has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Apr 8, 2024

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lying is ftw actually

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Being unable to maintain your attention span for more than five minutes at a time (if that) is a problem, especially in the context of being unable to read anything longer than a tweet or being unable to watch a whole movie in a single sitting without breaking out your phone, but TikTok specifically isn't the problem so much as the panoply of stimulus we're exposed to and have easy access to.

But also, maintaining your attention span is a skill, and it can be redeveloped

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gradenko_2000 posted:

Being unable to maintain your attention span for more than five minutes at a time (if that) is a problem, especially in the context of being unable to read anything longer than a tweet or being unable to watch a whole movie in a single sitting without breaking out your phone, but TikTok specifically isn't the problem so much as the panoply of stimulus we're exposed to and have easy access to.

God this post was so condescending and boring I gave up half way though. Real snoozer sorry to tell you this.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

now have this narrated over GTA game footage

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I can't remember which poster was doing the shrinkflation roundup but I have a great example today:

five years ago I bought a lovely cutting board on Amazon, and needed a new one, literally used the "buy again" button in my account and

the extremely delicious cheese I buy for my sandwiches & etc recently switched from 10-year reserve to 9-year reserve

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

the extremely delicious cheese I buy for my sandwiches & etc recently switched from 10-year reserve to 9-year reserve

I was going to joke about Biden emptying the strategic cheese reserve and then I learned that a) it exists b) it was privatized in the 80s and c) it is instead growing because milk production is increasing while consumption drops (another thing millennials are ruining).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

19 o'clock posted:

now have this narrated over GTA game footage

Subway surfers smdh

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I was going to joke about Biden emptying the strategic cheese reserve and then I learned that a) it exists b) it was privatized in the 80s and c) it is instead growing because milk production is increasing while consumption drops (another thing millennials are ruining).

yeah that's where the phrase "government cheese" comes from

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there an American president that put a big block of cheese in the White House and let everybody in to eat it

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't there an American president that put a big block of cheese in the White House and let everybody in to eat it

i believe you’re referring to the Jackson Cheese

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes that was presinald bartlett

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Ammanas posted:

if anyone has any tips on how to get the hot girls back because an endless feed of biblical critical analysis + home inspector videos + dialectical materialism + Palestinian suffering only works when thots are sprinkled in there to alleviate the horror

I rarely use search or discover on Instagram and when I did I idly clicked on a photo of a hot woman with her hands clasped behind her head. Then one more in the same pose because she was also hot. The algorithm now thinks I have a thing about armpits and has shown a wall of pit shots whenever I open the search tab.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tirade posted:

I rarely use search or discover on Instagram and when I did I idly clicked on a photo of a hot woman with her hands clasped behind her head. Then one more in the same pose because she was also hot. The algorithm now thinks I have a thing about armpits and has shown a wall of pit shots whenever I open the search tab.

I mean, you do

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Tirade posted:

The algorithm knows your desires better than you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Tearfully screaming “I’m an rear end man! An rear end man!” in vain at the screen as it shows me page after page of enormous titties.