Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Augus posted:

the payoff for the moogle questline is gonna haunt my nightmares

I don't know what this really means but I'm going to absolutely do those moogle shop minigames to find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Johnny is just getting the poo poo kicked out of him constantly huh

wtf this Johhny doppelganger plotline is awesome I no longer think yuffie is "cringe"

She makes an incredible jab at Cloud during that quest line

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yuffie perfectly captures he vibe of a younger sibling who loves being a little poo poo and loving with you

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I know she's just going to steal a bunch of materia from me at some point but hell I'm just happy to have her on the team

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Piano minigame is simple when you've got somebody willing to put up with your dumb rear end share a controller and split the work.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So for those who played Remake, which I hope is all of you, do you prefer this game's weapon upgrade system or Remake's? For me it's kind of hard to choose since I like aspects of each. In Rebirth you do get a lot more freedom of customization because you can pick and choose the weapon perks but on the other hand it does feel like it came at the cost of strong weapon identity. Most weapons seem to share the same kind of perks while having a few unique to it and they either focus more on physical damage, magical damage or are even. It was the same in Remake but weapons also had defensive attributes to them as well.

I really do appreciate that they at least made the weapons viable through the entire game instead of being disposable like they were in OG.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

So for those who played Remake, which I hope is all of you, do you prefer this game's weapon upgrade system or Remake's? For me it's kind of hard to choose since I like aspects of each. In Rebirth you do get a lot more freedom of customization because you can pick and choose the weapon perks but on the other hand it does feel like it came at the cost of strong weapon identity. Most weapons seem to share the same kind of perks while having a few unique to it and they either focus more on physical damage, magical damage or are even. It was the same in Remake but weapons also had defensive attributes to them as well.

I really do appreciate that they at least made the weapons viable through the entire game instead of being disposable like they were in OG.

the upgrade nodes in remake were really, really tedious to sift through. i prefer the streamlining

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I prefer rebirth system because simply leveling up all the weapons was quite time consuming. They probably realized that leveling weapons for 7 characters was going to get super annoying real fast

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I am not a video game soundtrack dude by any stretch of the imagination but I am pretty sure I am going to buy that physical collection the next time I am not a broke sucker, that beach fight uptempo progressive house theme when you're on the costa del Sol date side quest Chocobo ride is loving incredible as a continuous piece

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The rebirth weapon system is superior and here is my comprehensive list why

-the orbs in remake are like planets
-thats cool
-books (or folios whatever) are for nerds
-theres two intersectional but not actually interacting systems in rebirth that imo is a little confusing if you are dumb as rocks (like me)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm always eager to check out and get the new weapon ability, even if a new weapon's stats and slots aren't doing it for me. And it's real fast to get the skill when you work at it for a couple battles.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Oh yeah like the ability and how you master it for use is great and functionally exactly the same imo I just dislike the sp system in rebirth and the buff slot system being two separate things but that's just quibbling if this game is better than botw level stuff here

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I think I like Remakes more but tbh I rarely swap out weapons.

Cloud with anything that's not the Buster Sword seems weird.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I was not prepared for yuffies after combat voice lines to be virtually identical to things I yelled when I ricocheted objects off of ceiling fans as a child

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One thing I will say about both those weapon upgrade systems, and folios, is that I hate %-based stats. All the 3% increased basic damage an all that garbage is functionally meaningless. What does 3% amount to? What does 2 strength add? I think I rather have the later since you may be able to quantify it better than some minuscule percentage number.

It all just feels like useless filler until you get to the elemental abilities, synergy attacks or the nodes that add a decent amount of HP or one that has you start a battle with a buff.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JULES IS ON THE BEACH

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I watched a fairly reductive video comparing ff16 to rebirth and although I enjoyed 16 a lot it was ultimately correct in what made rebirth more compelling in its sort of arbitrary investment in each mini game side quest bullshit and the rewards that gives you, if you don't have trophy brain there's just a lot of this game you could skip over but you get a lot of reasons that make the investment in that stuff worthwhile as opposed to it just being a rote but skippable part of the journey

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, chapter 10 non-spoiler on incidental dialogue: they really are going all in with this planet worship stuff, huh? It feels like I just wandered into an evangelical commune. I'm just waiting for someone to try to sell me Watchtower. Feels less like a hippy community and more like some weird cult.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

This game is so loving good. Best single player game I’ve played maybe ever

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

“Let him go, we e done enough.”

Yeah.. I don’t know Aerith I think maybe you should have not let him go

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

“Let him go, we e done enough.”

Yeah.. I don’t know Aerith I think maybe you should have not let him go

if they kill hojo then shinra dispatches every regiment they have to take out cloud and co and burn costa del sol to the ground for good measure, it was the right call

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Costa Del Sol is so drat fun, gently caress the minigame haters I'm having a blast.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

stev posted:

Costa Del Sol is so drat fun, gently caress the minigame haters I'm having a blast.

just finished that area and yeah it freaking owns. Haters and losers BTFO

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay it's explain what I missed time again. Towards the end of Chapter 13 there are some trials. What was the point of literally any part of the sequence between the end of the Turks fight and the start of the Cetra loredump? We sit through six entire flashbacks and learn absolutely nothing new, not us, not the team as individuals or the team as a team gain any new perspective or insight as a result, the sum total of any of it is that we get to see Myrna I guess, and people who skipped Intermission get to see Sonon, but why? Aerith leads it into this incredibly forced sounding speech about always looking to the future. It seems they intended for Cloud's comment right after to come off incredibly insensitive, but to be frank he had a point. It seems like that whole room should have just been cut. Why did they script, write and animate all of that, when they could have done literally anything else, including nothing?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The point of the sequence was to remind you of the themes of the game right before the ending.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Best write-up on the ending I've seen so far:
https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/15561-explaining-analysing-what-happens-in-final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-ending

obviously this is ending spoilers

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Chocobo gliding will be the only side quest in the entire game I don't complete

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

The word "Hype Johnnys" had me laughing for a minute straight like it came out of nowhere and cinderblocked me in the head

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Two Legs? Nothin' To It is such a hilarious jump in difficulty over any of the previous songs

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wish Cait’s Moogle’s health bar was easier to see

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Earlier, I said that their is no fishing mini-game. After doing the chicken questline, I see I was wrong. It's honestly fine, though.

Chicken questline ending (seriously, it's worth not being spoiled):
Holy poo poo, that was hilarious. The "villainous" reveal and lighting! They even play the game over music for the chicken! Poor Red XIII, though. Having a conversation with your dinner is gonna turn anyone's stomach.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKGxECGUMf0

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I need some fanart of Vincent as a waiter holding a credit card reader for Cloud paying the bill

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Earlier, I said that their is no fishing mini-game. After doing the chicken questline, I see I was wrong. It's honestly fine, though.

Chicken questline ending (seriously, it's worth not being spoiled):
Holy poo poo, that was hilarious. The "villainous" reveal and lighting! They even play the game over music for the chicken! Poor Red XIII, though. Having a conversation with your dinner is gonna turn anyone's stomach.

it was basically a yakuza substory

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

it was basically a yakuza substory

It kicked incredible amounts of rear end and made up for the lovely mechanics

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Ideal Zack character arc.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

lmfao the rank 9 queen's blood opponent

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Lol I just spent what had to be an hour beating the gym minigames. Holy poo poo that is so hard. And if it wasn't bad enough, the way they reverse the order on you is just nefarious. lol

So far I've 100%'ed every minigame. I wonder how hard they'll get... I got 2,594 on the ghost ship thats probably my best score yet.

e: btw the game is pretty intent on splitting up the party members... so, are they expecting you to not switch materia and give everyone a full set? I'm just confused because I don't feel like I have anywhere near enough materia for that. For example, you really want auto cast, auto focus, and auto unique ability on your secondary members, along with item economizer, but I just don't have more than a couple of those each... and that's not even mentioning the dual elemental materias etc.

If they wanted everyone to be equipped with their own set of materia they really needed to give out more of the baseline auto-ability ones.

Which actually brings up a great question which is, why the flying gently caress do we need to slot materia for our loving allies to do abilities? I feel like I'm in crazy town

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 10, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don’t know who this pilot is but it’s not cid highwind. doesn’t matter whether it’s dated or not, bring pathologically abrasive is the center of his character. this aw shucks gee whiz thank you kindly stuff is weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Vitamean posted:

lmfao the rank 9 queen's blood opponent

I did not expect that at all