Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every DQ game I've played has bored me to tears almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The art style is just not for me.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

fridge corn posted:

I didn't know 9 was rated that highly. It was the first DQ game I ever played

Same, and it remains my favorite. I can understand how people may find the series boring though. Repetitive enemy design and soundtrack. Curious to see how they inovate 12, seeming as though that's the direction they want to take it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The art style is just not for me.

Too soon? :mrwhite:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'll let you Dballer's mourn for a bit RIP

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tho tbf I never really gelled with DQ's art style either, but loved Chrono Trigger's art style. Was ambivalent about Dragon Ball. Never actually made the connection that it was one dude the whole time until it was pointed out to me. Just thought it was a generic style that was commonly used for lots of things lol :slime::ssj::sss::ssj::slime:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

FireWorksWell posted:

Game's great.

Glad you posted this, thank you! Going to get the game now, especially after reading about the CEO having to fund the game.

Wish it was on Steam, feels like a perfect Deck game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DQ11 ftw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I enjoyed DQ11 a lot. Super chill game you could play in bite sized chunks. I never finished it though. It kept rolling credits and starting a new story.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:siren: some notable releases for week 11 ( 3.11 - 3.17 )

Contra: Operation Galuga (PS5/PS4/X|S/Xbone/PC/Switch, 03/12/2024)

Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story (PS5/PS4/X|S/Xbone/PC/Switch, 03/13/2024)

Star Wars Battlefront Classics Collection (PS5/PS4/X|S/Xbone/PC/Switch, 03/14/2024)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Operation ga-LOO-ga!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

JackDarko posted:

Glad you posted this, thank you! Going to get the game now, especially after reading about the CEO having to fund the game.

Wish it was on Steam, feels like a perfect Deck game.

Does Vanillaware have some contract with Sony? Surely putting their games on Steam would make sense financially

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

It's also on Xbox and Switch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

Does Vanillaware have some contract with Sony? Surely putting their games on Steam would make sense financially

They haven't released a game for PC in almost 20 years.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Atlus posted:

"As a publisher, we would like to deliver it to PC users as well, but per our agreement with Vanillaware, we are only releasing on console. In other words, there are no plans to port it to PC currently."

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

There's only so much titty you can have on any given platform. We get vanillaware and pc users get skyrim mods

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It is morally correct to not give pc weirdos games to play

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm playing FF7 Remake again after not really liking it the first time shortly after release and giving up during chapter 8. I've just got to the exact same point that I stoppped before, the bit where you pick flowers with Aerith. Really want to give this game a chance because I've never really enjoyed JRPGs until Yakuza: Like a Dragon and more recently Infinite Wealth, which I loved. And with everyone raving about how good Rebirth is, it seems like a good time to try again.

I wish the combat was turn based rather than the weird real-time-with-pause thing it has going on. Nearly all of the characters are boring apart from Wedge, who at least makes me chuckle a bit. Having the protagonist be a guy that speaks almost exclusively in sighs and grunts seems weird. That whole motorbike section on the way to Jessie's house should have been half as long at most, because holy gently caress that was tedious.

The game looks great in performance mode - I can barely tell the difference in graphics mode except that it is really juddery in motion. But then there are tonnes of bits where textures are crazy low resolution - though it looks like they at least patched the door to Cloud's apartment which was egregiously awful when I played on PS4. The lip syncing is distractingly bad though.

I have a materia-link thing on Cloud's sword so he now does lightning damage with regular attacks, which is pretty cool. I hope I can do more things like that with materia slots so that they're more meaningful than just giving someone a spell.

Is it possible to leave Cloud in his strong attack mode when switching characters? I want him to just sit there wailing on whatever with powerful attacks while I use other characters to build up their bars for spells and abilities, but it seems like when I switch away from Cloud he goes back to Operator mode and does way less damage than if I was controlling him.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Is it possible to leave Cloud in his strong attack mode when switching characters? I want him to just sit there wailing on whatever with powerful attacks while I use other characters to build up their bars for spells and abilities, but it seems like when I switch away from Cloud he goes back to Operator mode and does way less damage than if I was controlling him.

cloud switches to operator whenever he dodges, so he's not going to stay in punisher for more than a few seconds whenever he's ai-controlled

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Helldivers 2 is really fun and the first MP game I've played in years that I want to keep playing. Takes a bit to figure out but its super fun. Is there a goon squad

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I have changed my opinion, I am in love with synergy attacks now, especially the magic blade cloud+aerith one

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i randomly fired up some hd2 last night after not playing for a bit. my irl friends are 3 hours behind and have weird work schedules, so its tough to play. but i wound up joining some randos and had a good time.

i think most people are too absorbed with final fantasy right now to have any regular dive sessions but i would be down if others are

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
A lot of people joined the discord in the OP recently for HD2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey this thread loves JRPGs right

With the outpouring of love for Toriyama since his passing and recently being lasered in on Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth it occurs to me I've never played a single Dragon Quest game despite playing through multiple Final Fantasies and Chrono Trigger

They always looked a little generic, but since the entire conceit of Like A Dragon is "what if guy had brain damage that made him think his life was Dragon Quest" and I love them I'm wondering if they're worth seeking out?

Only play DQ11 first, maybe the others after if you want more, but they are older and they feel it. DQ11 is fantastic and has many great quality of life improvements over the older games.

And I agree DQ looks generic, and I'd think maybe the story is if you're only considering the large plot beats; but it is done so well, it does the story better than most of its influences.

Augus posted:

Yes, DQ11 is extremely good

biceps crimes posted:

DQ11 would be a really good entry point for someone new to and curious about the series imo

Play DQ11 and don’t listen to the freaks who call act 3 an optional postgame, they are wrong it’s the rest of the game.

JBP posted:

I enjoyed DQ11 a lot. Super chill game you could play in bite sized chunks. I never finished it though. It kept rolling credits and starting a new story.

The people agree!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Phones would probably run the game as well. Seems like a pile of money potentially in addition to PC and steamdeckalikes

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story (PS5/PS4/X|S/Xbone/PC/Switch, 03/13/2024)

Star Wars Battlefront Classics Collection (PS5/PS4/X|S/Xbone/PC/Switch, 03/14/2024)

Thanks for putting whatever the Jeff Minter thing is on the list!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

bows1 posted:

Helldivers 2 is really fun and the first MP game I've played in years that I want to keep playing. Takes a bit to figure out but its super fun. Is there a goon squad

Yeah a bunch of us in the Discord have been playing regularly, and we have a PSN group we can add you to as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
PlayStation Goon Nation: Where People Come Together! and squish the poo poo out of bugs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm playing FF7 Remake again after not really liking it the first time shortly after release and giving up during chapter 8. I've just got to the exact same point that I stoppped before, the bit where you pick flowers with Aerith. Really want to give this game a chance because I've never really enjoyed JRPGs until Yakuza: Like a Dragon and more recently Infinite Wealth, which I loved. And with everyone raving about how good Rebirth is, it seems like a good time to try again.

I wish the combat was turn based rather than the weird real-time-with-pause thing it has going on. Nearly all of the characters are boring apart from Wedge, who at least makes me chuckle a bit. Having the protagonist be a guy that speaks almost exclusively in sighs and grunts seems weird. That whole motorbike section on the way to Jessie's house should have been half as long at most, because holy gently caress that was tedious.

There are shortcuts where you can set it to (I believe) L1+ X, Square, Triangle, to use a skill or spell instead of having to go to the menu every time. Have you not been using that?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

There are shortcuts where you can set it to (I believe) L1+ X, Square, Triangle, to use a skill or spell instead of having to go to the menu every time. Have you not been using that?

Apparently not, I'll try that!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

If you want the game to be more turn-based, I think you want the "Classic" mode.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I finally got around to playing Intergrade. It was good but the final villain being another Nomura-designed edgelord rear end in a top hat in a gimp suit instead of Scarlet was laaaame

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On DQ, I love 4 (DS version) and 8 (played on PS2) most myself, so many fun ones.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

bloodychill posted:

I finally got around to playing Intergrade. It was good but the final villain being another Nomura-designed edgelord rear end in a top hat in a gimp suit instead of Scarlet was laaaame

Did Nomura do the character designs in Dirge of Cerberus?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Wrong thread lol

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I had my doubts that Pentiment was going to click with me, but ohhh baby I'm hooked!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Escobarbarian posted:

PlayStation Goon Nation: Where People Come Together! and squish the poo poo out of bugs

Got my mech finally so yeah, literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

bloodychill posted:

yup. intergrade was really good until the last boss