Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aw jesus this final dungeon is so much longer than I thought it would be. I was hoping to finish this tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Okay, I'm getting the hang of it a bit better. I beat up the wolf this time.

Also, I haven't gotten too far in. I'm trying to get a feel for when I should advance the main story. There's a lot of side stuff, and I'm doing a bit of it, but most of it isn't that exciting. The next part of the main story is to "cross the swamplands" and it looks to be down at the bottom of the first area. Is there any reason I should do a certain amount of the side stuff, or is it totally okay to just go ahead and do some main story anytime I start feeling bored with chasing down towers and the little mako wells?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd say at least try the sidequests and the protorelic World Intel stuff for each region (even if the Grasslands has one of the weaker protorelic quests). Oh and beating the summon.

E: Though like if you're bored there's nothing wrong with skipping poo poo. A few sidequests have new weapons but that's basically the main thing you'll miss out on I think

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Oh god I just did some chapter 12 stuff I can't do this I'M NOT READY

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The green-marker sidequests and protorelic quests have lots of story and character stuff in them, definitely worth doing those

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Beat the Alexander summon at full strength with Yuffie, Cloud and Cait Sith. It took over twelve minutes of ninjutsu and dice rolls and he almost cratered us with that final attack. Hot drat!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Up to Cosmo Canyon and Alex is def my fav fight so far.

The summons in general have a bunch going on, i'm excited to check them out in hard mode where i'm not overlevelled from all the side content.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Odin’s Reprisal is the most bullshit attack in the game.
why does this exist

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Augus posted:

Odin’s Reprisal is the most bullshit attack in the game.
why does this exist

Don't get hit.

Like no literally, don't get hit. Reprisal is basically "charged" when the character you're controlling takes a certain amount of damage and Odin isn't yet getting sufficiently hyped.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

Don't get hit.

Like no literally, don't get hit. Reprisal is basically "charged" when the character you're controlling takes a certain amount of damage and Odin isn't yet getting sufficiently hyped.

I know, it’s still bullshit. It’s an impossible to react to attack that forces you to waste an ATB bar and also the Reprisal itself can allow Odin to charge another Reprisal, allowing him to counter-attack multiple times in a row, allowing him to charge up Zantetsuken even faster. Getting comboed by him even once can instantly snowball into the fight becoming unwinnable

Also the Assess text just straight up lies to you about how the mechanic works

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tonberry King sucks. Also if you don't know the gimmick and don't happen to be ready for it by chance you have to fight it twice. :mad:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Thundarr posted:

The synergy skills are used by holding block and pressing one of the four buttons. You can unlock different skills in the manuscript page, just like you can with synergy abilities. Some of the skills are a bit awkward to use, but Cloud + Aerith's Magic Sword is dead simple and can instantly fill both their bars if you hit a bunch of things with it. Other skills let you do things like have another party member teleport to Aerith to block incoming attacks.

Cloud's parry is basically automatic as long as he's in Punisher mode (press triangle) and holding block. You don't have to perfect time it, though perfect timing the block will also reduce the incoming damage to zero. Note that he can't counter (or block at all) ranged attacks or spells, it has to be something taking a swing at him. He also can't counter unblockable attacks.

Conveniently, Cloud's defensive synergy skill blocks and counters ranged attacks, and can be used in Punisher mode.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SettingSun posted:

Tonberry King sucks. Also if you don't know the gimmick and don't happen to be ready for it by chance you have to fight it twice. :mad:

As with all things that are too dangerous to engage up close with in this game, the answer is Barrett.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Cosmo Canyon piano piece was pretty tough to get rank A on. There was one part early on where I could never quite figure out what it wanted from me. I've gotten to where I do really well as long as there isn't some weird alternating timing between both sides (which is hard because it's hard to know the exact timing of the left side at a glance).

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Oxxidation posted:

dynamic is ideal, on normal it doesn’t take long before everything dies to a sneeze

Went with it, so far so good. The game’s fun.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
endgame spoilers

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I'm so sick of these mini games

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd heard some stuff about some of the Cosmo Canyon plot beats that sounded real lame to me but now that i've actually played through it, it was all actually pretty cool. Nailed the atmosphere at least.

Also lmao at how completely and suddenly Red changes. That's just a completely different guy

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fucker posted:

endgame spoilers

its true... all of it...

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SettingSun posted:

Can't stab Yuffie if she teleports behind you. But yeah the exact way that crown works means it's a fight a lot of people will end up having to do twice.

On the upside, doing it twice means you can make two of that accessory.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just restarted tonberry king when I assessed him so I could do the thing. I'm not sure what tough about him? You just need to mash dodge and blow him up. Shooting fira twice from the arcane ward seemed to be something he was especially not up for. Also made it easy to just instagib the normal tonberries.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Was gonna finish up the protorelic quest at chapter 13 until I saw it was lv60+ for all its fights.

I've done all the other side content, so I'm just gonna do the story.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I finished this game last night. Obviously stuff in spoilers is spoilers for all of it.

I liked it alot overall, the larger plot and such. Chapters 1 through 8 that I smashed through over the first few days were basically all great. Gameplay wise, the combat was improved in a lot of ways, characters got new tricks and the 3 new additions all feel great. The synergy stuff is cool, I got a bit too flummoxed in a lot of the big fights to make use of all of it but eh, muddled through on dynamic difficulty.

I'm a bit annoyed I never got to see anyone other than Clouds level 3 limit break because it's only specific character trios that can access them kinda, so like Tifa, Barret and Cloud won't be able to open up a level 3 limit break for any of them unless I'm missing something? I know there's an accessory that does it as well, I didn't make the one that starts you at level 2 and apparently there's one that upgrades it to level 3 so that's an option. Need to figure out how to get that. I assume if you play hard mode you can max out every folio with all the books you get?

There are a few low points, I feel like Gongaga was the first chapter where it wobbled a little bit, then the second half of chapter 12 I didn't enjoy, I find multiple bosses in a row a bit exhausting and the two Corneo henchman talking over everything I found a bit overwhelming sensation wise. The bit where you play Cait Sith alone in the Shinra manor basement was a real frustration point as well, I think they kinda miss the mark when they adapt "spooky" bits cause they fumbled the Shinra building massacre part from the original in the Remake pretty hard imo as well. It's not like the upstairs of the Shinra manor was a huge thing either but they could have done it more justice, instead the basement gets expanded and it's another Hojo dungeon with the same sorta lab visual design.

I posted either early in this thread before it came out or the previous iteration that I was worried the "comedy Turk hi-jinx" stuff was gonna play badly in this one and I think they mostly threaded the needle, Tifa and Barret try and take them out when they meet them in the mythril mines and elsewhere, there's just usually other stuff going on afterwards or they come in, leave a big robot and then gently caress off. They're also obviously very entertaining when we see them in cutscenes not in contact with the main party. I think the Tsung scene near the end utterly falls flat though cause like, yeah I don't feel any sympathy at all and he's the worst of them since he's the one ordering them to do atrocities so kinda feels like Tifa and Barret should have some unkind words to say if not a bullet to the head rather than letting him just shuffle off.

I get what people are saying about if they tried to kill Hojo at the beach they'd give themselves more trouble but eh, I think he's such a monster that killing him and stopping him from doing any more poo poo seems so pressing a thing to do it'd be worth it, Rufus even says "with Shinra in the state it's in we can't take on Sephiroth but you have a chance" so they know Shinra thinks they're better equipped to deal with something they can't and the party has destroyed a lot of big killer robots at this point. Either way, with Hojo, I really hope at least in the 3rd one they really go to town on him, don't give him any like, gentle speeches as he dies, just a big ol boss fight and then a brutal death scene.

Don Corneo falls into this too, like this guy is just a gross attempted rapist crime boss, just kill him before he causes you even more hassle in the future instead of threatening to smash his balls in a variety of ways and then letting him scuttle off, when he immediately then showed up in the protorelic quest right after and tried threatening the party with a handgun I groaned pretty hard.

For the finale/main plot stuff of this remake trilogy, as I said up top, I liked the game a lot overall and I think I largely understood the ending but it seems like a very roundabout way of achieving largely the same thing and I can't help feeling slightly disappointed that all the theory crafting and such just didn't pay off much at all, like, Biggs being alive in the other universe didn't really amount to much, Jessie and Wedge were just dead, there was no weird Zach world alternate party (they never explain who the guy with the buster sword in the disaster world party was right? I assumed the Cloud/Zach walking in came from another universe and it was just that universes Cloud but it felt like an undropped shoe either way). I think they probably should have advanced the Zach stuff to the point of him going to the reactors, Biggs getting shot etc slightly earlier than they did so that it wasn't competing with the stuff going on in the finale quite so much, felt like a lot of info coming in all at once.

I sorta feel like they made Remake quite different, which pissed off people who wanted a down the line Remake, then this one is actually honestly not that different despite the party saying they'd defied destiny and rewritten their path at the end of Remake but the small differences in this are still going to piss off purists but it's now also not that different, in such a way as to be somewhat dissappointing to people who were like "oh man this can mean anything now!". I'm kinda in that second group a little bit but I still enjoyed it a lot, I'm just not gonna bother thinking about the implications or anything now, I'll just play the third game and likely quite enjoy it as well. "No promises await at journeys end" after all.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

SettingSun posted:

My second time I set it to easy cuz gently caress that.

Also this game literally doesn’t stop with the amazing soundtrack.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I dunno, with the Tonberry King Johnny's sidequest tells you that you're going to steal the crown from it, so I immediately put Steal on one of my members. Assess tells you how to get the crown off, so from all that I was able to do it in one shot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Took me two goes because I didn't realise you had to knock the crown off then use steal on it lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I also went in thinking “ok just kill it and you get the thing” and it wasn’t until I did the assess that it even crossed my mind they literally meant to have me equip steal and steal it

Nothing else in the game works like that so :shrug:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I found tonberry king not that hard with a Warding-Breach materia set up to make characters immune to instant death. Lets cloud stay in melee and tank every hit, and while it'll chunk him, he stays alive fine. Aerith gets a double casted fira to make him pressured, and cloud/barret/tifa can easily shove him into staggered from there, follow up with steal on the crown and you're good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I thought it was pretty easy to bait out and dodge the king tonberry’s attacks with Tifa. most of my deaths were from not noticing his little buddies on the ground until they were already in stabbing range

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Question: to get immunity to instant death using Warding, do either or both of the Warding/Breach materia have to be at max level? Warding says it provides progressing reduction in duration so for death does that translate to percentage chance to resist or is it all or nothing?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Keep in mind there's also the Safety Bit accessory that makes you immune to instant death. That helped me a lot against the Tonberry King.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Fedule posted:

Question: to get immunity to instant death using Warding, do either or both of the Warding/Breach materia have to be at max level? Warding says it provides progressing reduction in duration so for death does that translate to percentage chance to resist or is it all or nothing?

Only warding needs to be at the immunity level, it doesn't care about the level of the magic materia

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
Not particularly Rebirth related so apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but I finally got around to playing FF7 and a lot of its supplementary content this last month. 7 was incredible, I felt like dannydevito-igetit.gif at the end even knowing a lot of spoilers via cultural osmosis. plenty of crazy surprises regardless, and I was so fixated on the potential of Vincent's character that I immediately crushed out Dirge of Cerberus within a week afterwards... totally underrated game, sure it's got some serious corniness (russo the scarlet...) but poo poo, they really made an FF7 Metal Gear story w/ Vincent at the MC and people just sleep on it? My s/o is a longtime 7/Crisis Core fan so I dove into 7R immediately after that as Crisis Core is long as hell and I already get the cliff notes of its plot and characters, been enjoying how faithful the environments are to the 7 art (and Ever Crisis). Characterization of the main cast within the 14~ hours ive played so far ranges from 'this is exactly how i pictured them in the original' (tifa) to 'okay this is VERY different but I'm loving with this new angle' (Cloud & Aerith), but no complaints so far. Finishing up Wall Market and it's been nothing short of a treat... I do hope Rebirth has a bit more openness to it, obviously Midgar is a very linear portion of 7 and remake does a commendable job adding some extra meat to it w/ the merc side quests, but i've done a whole lot of jogging around without much distraction in between... I'm happy to gawk at environments reimagined for the 4K Era but I can only imagine this format will get very long in the tooth come Junon, at this pace. A bit more of a Yakuza level of granular detail may have served better in Midgar, let me get jumped by fellas on the streets, let me spend time at the noodle shop enjoying FF15 tier photogrammetry noodles, that kinda thing.

but I'm nitpicking here, been having a blast finally giving FF7 a college try and every piece of side content has blown my expectations out of the water since then. I'm even invested in Ever Crisis so I can see The First Soldier's plot for myself, I'm sure it's not perfect but I'd like to squeeze the proverbial lemon for all its got. Still excited to see how Vincent and Deepground are handled with the new budget and cinematic flair, and after seeing the secret G Files ending in DoC every part of me is praying we get to see the return of Genesis in Rebirth or even the third game which I have taken to calling "ReGenesis" pre-emptively, it only seems right...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

trizzNPH posted:

I do hope Rebirth has a bit more openness to it

Well do I ever have some good news for you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Genesis isn’t coming back because Gackt’s collaboration with Square ended

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do you think the game warrants a spoiler thread at this point? Seems like a lot more people are beating it and have thoughts/speculation on the ending. A few of my posts have looked like CIA documents too but those were relegated to mid-game stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jimbot posted:

Do you think the game warrants a spoiler thread at this point? Seems like a lot more people are beating it and have thoughts/speculation on the ending. A few of my posts have looked like CIA documents too but those were relegated to mid-game stuff.

it already has one

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

Jimbot posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054682

actually is one!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

There is a spoiler thread :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yakuza in midgar would have been sick